PDA

View Full Version : Sven-Coop wine buggy fonts

JORGETECH
21-04-2016, 05:38 PM
I decided to try out sven-coop on wine and it run surprisingly well everything works except one thing.
As you can see on the image there small lines and dots on the fonts, but I also had another problem with missing special characters on the menu I fixed that by adding Tahoma font however the same problem happens with the font used in chat, does anyone know what font does Sven-Coop use in the chat? If you can also tell me about the problem with the lines and dots I would really appreciate it.

spy-warrior
22-04-2016, 12:54 AM
see folder:
svencoop\resource\

DroidSansMono.ttf
marlett.ttf

JORGETECH
22-04-2016, 09:17 AM
I added this fonts to both lubuntu and wine and the chat font problem persists. Any idea?

AdamR
22-04-2016, 10:20 AM
WINE isn't supported btw. Dynamite might know more about this issue, but a tiny cosmetic problem like that I'd happily accept right now.

JORGETECH
22-04-2016, 10:27 AM
I agree with you it is simply cosmetic but I just had curiosity if anyone could fix it, at first I thought the slight lines ands dots would be a DirectWrite bug but then I remebered the game is under OpenGL so I do not have any clue.

AdamR
22-04-2016, 01:09 PM
The only letters that appear to have oddities to them in your screen shot are 'A' and 'W', and 'f' (in those cases). Fonts used from Windows are:

DroidSansMono: For Linux and OSX, though not sure we've actually made use of this yet
Lucida Console: For the monospaced console
Marlett: Symbols (Most common use is the X for the dialog top right close button.)
Tahoma: "Default" purposes
Trebuchet MS: Credits / HUD messages (i.e. chapter titles, plug-in menus, etc.)
Verdana: Headings and the "engine font"

This scheme can be found in file "/svencoop/resources/ClientScheme.res" in case I missed anything. You will need to acquire the Microsoft fonts from a legitimate Windows installation though, as many of them might be Microsoft licensed property (https://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/).

I've not tested this (because I've never needed to do it) but if you copy "/svencoop/resources/ClientScheme.res" to "/svencoop_addon/resources/ClientScheme.res" you can modify the font names (or anything else for that matter) in the scheme to your preference. By placing it in the addons area you will also retain your changes when a game update is published. (Otherwise the update would revert your changes.) If you do acquire the Microsoft fonts it might be best to put them in "/svencoop_addon/resources" instead of "/svencoop/resources" for the same reason. I don't know if the VGUI will load fonts and resource files from this area though.

When the time comes to officially supporting Linux/OSX or moving to a HTML (CEF) based HUD we'll probably be making the switch to free fonts. We're already allowed to use Michroma (https://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Michroma) for our logo typeface, but Roboto (https://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Roboto), Open Sans (https://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Open+Sans), and Droid Sans (https://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Droid+Sans) are good to use too.

JORGETECH
23-04-2016, 09:27 AM
I installed those fonts on wine folder still missing chars however I guess I will have to wait to an official linux version beacause everytime I join a server it gives a timed out error after two minutes but the second time it joins. I hope at least a beta or rc is released for linux, feel free to close this thread if you want AdamR.

nico
23-04-2016, 09:55 AM
Use winetricks:

winetricks allfonts

JORGETECH
23-04-2016, 04:03 PM
That winetricks command did not install the neccessary fonts. Forget the font thing, however if anyone has experience with Sven-Coop on wine I would really like to help me ou with the "Timed out" error that gives me the first time I connect to a server. It happens every time a server changes map also.

JORGETECH
25-04-2016, 08:31 AM
I installed Debian Jessie on a Virtual Machine and followed the procedure for installing Steam and Sven Co-Op on PlayOnLinux and I was surprised to see that it loaded without any errors except missing characters which can be easily fixed. I'm starting to think that the problem is either Lubuntu or nVidia drivers however I am going to install Debian on my PC WITH nVidia propietary drivers to see the results.

m0u$3[uz]
25-04-2016, 03:24 PM
I installed Debian Jessie on a Virtual Machine and followed the procedure for installing Steam and Sven Co-Op on PlayOnLinux and I was surprised to see that it loaded without any errors except missing characters which can be easily fixed. I'm starting to think that the problem is either Lubuntu or nVidia drivers however I am going to install Debian on my PC WITH nVidia propietary drivers to see the results.

I recommend you talk to cartman-2000 (http://steamcommunity.com/id/cartman-2000) about running svencoop in wine he knows a lot about running svencoop in wine

JORGETECH
25-04-2016, 05:39 PM
Ok, guys read carefully because this is important. DO NOT PLAY SVEN CO-OP IN UBUNTU, I tried out with debian and I discovered the problem was Ubuntu, so only use Debian for Sven Co-Op in Wine. Does not matter what graphics driver you use it just does not work properly on Ubuntu. The only error I saw on Debian apart of the obvious missing fonts is that the first time you connect to a server you cannot change the weapons or use the chat but once you reconnect on THE SAME MAP it will be fixed, you will need to reconnect when the map is changed/you connect to other server.

AdamR
26-04-2016, 02:23 AM
Did any of you talk to Dynamite as I suggested? He's been using the internal version of our game for years on wine. I haven't heard him mention these issues ever.

GiGaBiTe
26-04-2016, 04:17 AM
Ok, guys read carefully because this is important. DO NOT PLAY SVEN CO-OP IN UBUNTU, I tried out with debian and I discovered the problem was Ubuntu, so only use Debian for Sven Co-Op in Wine. Does not matter what graphics driver you use it just does not work properly on Ubuntu. The only error I saw on Debian apart of the obvious missing fonts is that the first time you connect to a server you cannot change the weapons or use the chat but once you reconnect on THE SAME MAP it will be fixed, you will need to reconnect when the map is changed/you connect to other server.

You do know that Ubuntu is based on Debian right?

There's probably some configuration/version difference between WINE packages available for both distributions that's causing issues on Ubuntu but not Debian. WINE has been known to completely break some applications from even minor version differences.

A more compatible solution would be to run a Windows XP VM in VirtualBox with the experimental 3D driver in the guest. I've used it to play many old HL engine games on Linux boxes with good performance on machines with enough memory installed.

Solokiller
26-04-2016, 04:39 AM
When i was testing the Linux client it had font rendering issues as well. Everything kept turning into gibberish, mostly lines instead of characters. This might be a VGUI issue.

JORGETECH
26-04-2016, 08:10 AM
You do know that Ubuntu is based on Debian right?

There's probably some configuration/version difference between WINE packages available for both distributions that's causing issues on Ubuntu but not Debian. WINE has been known to completely break some applications from even minor version differences.

A more compatible solution would be to run a Windows XP VM in VirtualBox with the experimental 3D driver in the guest. I've used it to play many old HL engine games on Linux boxes with good performance on machines with enough memory installed.

1. I already know Ubuntu is based on Debian, however there must be some kind of conflict, that it is based on Debian does not mean it has the same things as Debian.

2. The first time I tried Sven Co-Op + Wine on Debian I did with VirtualBox however even if you enable the 3D acceleration performance is rubbish mainly because it is a VM and the maximum VRAM it uses is 128 MB. (I did this on a Intel Core i5 with 2 cores and 4GB assigned on the VM, I do not like running games on VMs)

Anyways I am glad the problem was from Ubuntu so now I can play it on Wine with minor problems on Debian. I will try to contact Dynamite as some of you suggested and see if he can solve these problems for me, I will post the results if I am successful.

Thanks to everyone who helped me.

EDIT: AdamR can you give me a way to contact Dynamite?

Dynamite
03-05-2016, 02:33 PM
Did any of you talk to Dynamite as I suggested? He's been using the internal version of our game for years on wine. I haven't heard him mention these issues ever.

Like I'd dare!

When i was testing the Linux client it had font rendering issues as well. Everything kept turning into gibberish, mostly lines instead of characters. This might be a VGUI issue.

It ran really well for me! :)

AdamR
03-05-2016, 03:53 PM
Well check you out and your magical Ubuntu installation. :P We can't all be Captain Abba The Magical like you, so any ideas why your fonts render so awesome compared to ours? :D:D

JORGETECH
08-05-2016, 12:19 PM
I've contacted dynamite as suggested and it seems the problems have no known solution, I guess I have to live with it. Anyways it still works great with my debian installation and those problems are not so dramatic, you just have to reconnect every time you join a server or the server changes map and it should work fine.

EDIT: When you change the VGUI thing I would put a "won-style" Half-Life menu.

Dynamite
12-05-2016, 03:22 PM
Well check you out and your magical Ubuntu installation. :P We can't all be Captain Abba The Magical like you, so any ideas why your fonts render so awesome compared to ours? :D:D

I meant the linux client ran well. On Wine I also had the font issues JORGETECH mentions.

JORGETECH
31-05-2016, 05:37 PM
So ok, after a month tinkering with Wine after formatting and reinstalling debian (I accidentally did on purpose accidentally screwed up the nVidia binary drivers) I found out two things:
1) The problem that the keyboard acts weird is caused because the Sven Co-Op window is not properly focused, an ALT+TAB should fix the problem then if you get the mouse going out of the window (in windowed mode) open up the inventory and close it and the mouse should stay on the Wine window, I tried this emulating a Desktop on Wine settings so I strongly recommend playing with a virtual desktop if you can.
2) The official Wine stable version (1.8.2) IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR SVEN CO-OP even if it is the version that your distro ships, so the best version to use is Wine 1.9.10-staging onwards. Wine staging contains additional patches made to the last development version and even if it is a development version I got better results with Sven Co-Op (and more games), I suppose the CPU architecture (x86/amd64) is not important due to Steam and Sven Co-Op still being 32-bit only but I recommend amd64 if you have a 64-bit processor to use the full potential of your CPU. Another additional options you should put on the "winecfg" program should be:

Windows version: Windows 7
In "Staging" menu: Enable both CSMT and EAX
OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED: Go to the "Graphics" tab and Enable virtual desktop and set the resolution desired (THIS CREATES A SEPARATE WINDOW FOR WINE)
Click "Apply" and you are done

I suggest using PlayOnLinux for easier management and organisation of Wine, there is also PlayOnMac for Mac OS X but I did not try Sven Co-Op on Mac OS X version of Wine, however if you want results just tell me because I have an old 2006 MacMini at home that I could try on.
I have not been able to fix the missing special chars bug but I guess installing Tahoma and other fonts that AdamR mentioned should help.
UPDATE: I think I fixed the missing chars problem by installing Tahoma, Tahoma2 and all 3 FontsSmooth packages using PlayOnLinux, you still have to reconnect for changing weapons though.