PDA

View Full Version : Renaming entities in multi_manager causes crash consistently

svenhelp
30-05-2016, 07:13 AM
At least for me this is happening constantly... make a mult_manager add keyvalues (i'm sure this glitch will happen with any entity) keep renaming keyvalues and eventually the whole hammer will crash. Very depressing. Happened 3 times in a row for me now so I try to name everything correctly the first time.

AdamR
30-05-2016, 08:13 AM
How many are you adding? And how long are they?

svenhelp
30-05-2016, 08:39 AM
How many are you adding? And how long are they?

The one that kept crashing looked like this

b1w3
b1w2
b1w1
b1
b1w3
b1w2
b1w1
b1

then I would edit them to add #0 and #1 to the end of them and it would keep crashing. If I just strait create them without editing it doesn't crash, I got frustrated and opened up Jackhammer to just edit them without crashing.

Solokiller
30-05-2016, 09:48 AM
Hammer will crash if the keys and/or values are too long. Some of these issues have been fixed in the next update. An engine programmer should still try to replicate these crashes in both the current and new versions of Hammer to verify that this case is fixed.

svenhelp
30-05-2016, 07:13 PM
Hammer will crash if the keys and/or values are too long. Some of these issues have been fixed in the next update. An engine programmer should still try to replicate these crashes in both the current and new versions of Hammer to verify that this case is fixed.

In my case my values were only single digit so this seems to be related to renaming and reordering keyvalues on the part of Hammer.

wolf-3d
30-05-2016, 08:52 PM
If you open a multimanager in hammer and then add:
b1w3 and then try and add b1w3 again
the 2nd "b1w3" becomes "b1w3#1" Automatically.

How are you getting
b1w3
b1w3
in the first place ? (I assume it is via editing the .map file directly or the .rmf)

svenhelp
31-05-2016, 07:39 AM
If you open a multimanager in hammer and then add:
b1w3 and then try and add b1w3 again
the 2nd "b1w3" becomes "b1w3#1" Automatically.

How are you getting
b1w3
b1w3
in the first place ? (I assume it is via editing the .map file directly or the .rmf)

The crash was totally related to everything I did in hammer nothing external to hammer. You are right. I typed in b1w3 twice then proceeded to edit the #1 that hammer included so it would make sense (I was thinking in steps so I decided to add the #0 and #1 later) the problem is during editing a few lines it just crashes Hammer. To get 2 b1w3 I just backspaced the #1 Hammer included right inside Hammer.

Solokiller
31-05-2016, 08:25 AM
I was able to crash Hammer while editing with SmartEdit turned off.

Exception info:

First exception:
Unhandled exception at 0x0047DE56 in hammer.exe: 0xC000041D: An unhandled exception was encountered during a user callback.

Second exception if the first is ignored:
Exception thrown at 0x0047DE56 in hammer.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.

Steps to reproduce:

Create a multi_manager.
Turn off SmartEdit.
Add a key with any key and value. Default will suffice.
Remove the key.
Change the key or value text, and click add.
Hammer crashes.

What's happening here is Hammer remembers the last key and value it has in the key and value boxes, when you click on add it tries to save the changes to a non-existent key. Thus, null pointer.

Should be easy to fix.