PDA

View Full Version : Hammer make all windows controllable with the windows+arrows keys

svenhelp
01-06-2016, 07:03 PM
I am only suggesting this as a possible fix for potential multi-monitor issues where some of the pop out windows such as the texture application tool can pop off the screen.

Steps to reproduce glitch:

2 Monitors, drag texture application tool to the secondary screen then in Microsoft Windows display properties change the primary screen to the secondary screen and your window texture application tool will always spawn off your monitor and you can never access it anymore until you revert back to the other monitor being the primary monitor. The solution is make sure all your Hammer windows are on one monitor before you start changing any configurations. But I can see how this sort of problem can occur in many other ways. Perhaps resolution changes etc. Need more control over those little windows make it easier to dock maybe a revert to default position button? I think the problem is the texture application window for example is one of those off windows that you have no customization options for.

AdamR
02-06-2016, 03:06 AM
Is this really a problem? I've had multiple monitors on a Windows machine for 7 years now and have never had this problem with any version of Hammer. I've definitely never needed to swap which monitor is primary to account for Hammer's behaviour.

svenhelp
02-06-2016, 05:39 AM
Is this really a problem? I've had multiple monitors on a Windows machine for 7 years now and have never had this problem with any version of Hammer. I've definitely never needed to swap which monitor is primary to account for Hammer's behaviour.

With 2 monitors, drag the texture tool to the secondary monitor. Then change your secondary monitor to your primary monitor via display properties. See if that permanently positions your texture tool off the screen. The problem is even when I reopened Hammer it would display off screen.

Solokiller
02-06-2016, 05:51 AM
Hammer uses the MFC library for its UI. It might not have proper support for multi monitor displays. Note that this is using MFC 6, released in 1998. I doubt it had fully functional support back then, and even if it did, Hammer itself might not be using it. If it's using system calls to position windows onscreen, they might malfunction if the call depends on the primary/current monitor.