PDA

View Full Version : Official Linux Client Support

Metal
02-06-2016, 04:13 AM
Would you kindly remove the Linux support tags currently held by Sven Co-op's standalone release? It's currently incompatible with Fedora 23, and the description in the FAQ (http://forums.svencoop.com/showthread.php/43372-READ-FIRST-Frequently-Asked-Questions-MANY-SOLUTIONS-HERE!) thread indicates that there is no Linux support at all.

As much as I'd enjoy playing on Linux/STEAMOS (as I attempted, and I'm sure several others would enjoy), it seems unlikely to be a priority release.No, Wine is not support.

If it's not too much trouble, add those tags back once a Linux/STEAMOS update comes out.

Cybermax
02-06-2016, 04:21 AM
Can i ask you? You can run Steam on FedorŠ°? When we talk about the Steam Linux, we mean only Ubuntu, even not Debian. what to speak of these Linux distributions like Fedora for geeks :) You would have asked about Redhat =)

Solokiller
02-06-2016, 04:33 AM
I got the Linux client to a mostly working state months ago but getting a beta version released doesn't seem to be a priority.

Duggles
02-06-2016, 04:34 AM
STEAM OS used to be based on Ubuntu, but Valve decided to rebase their system on Debian 8 instead. I believe Valve give support only for STEAM OS, and not the entire Linux ecosystem. So you're in luck if you use Debian 8 or something derived from it.

I have not tried but I suspect it is possible to run the Linux Steam on a RHEL-type OS, once the correct dependencies for the initial client are available (the steam client downloads a bunch of dependencies and throws them in your .local).

I'm unsure why there is a tag for the Linux client, maybe it is there because there is a Linux dedicated server available? I'll enquire further into this.

nico
02-06-2016, 04:46 AM
I'm unsure why there is a tag for the Linux client, maybe it is there because there is a Linux dedicated server available? I'll enquire further into this.

Well you only see the dedicated server when you have installed the game in steam (same with the sc sdk), the dedicated server runs under linux and the sdk provides compile tools for linux. It makes some sense but it is a bit confusing as linux players think the game will work when it won't. Hopefully the next updates gives us some more than this.

Onekopaka
02-06-2016, 05:51 AM
Steam for Linux bundles a whole environment called the Steam Runtime, which is a fairly complete set of libraries from Ubuntu 12.04. This allows Steam and Steam games to work across various distros.

I have run Steam on Fedora, OpenSUSE, Arch, and Ubuntu, all with success playing all sorts of games. The only real requirement to make Steam work on your Linux system is just making sure your libGL and a few other libraries have 32-bit variants installed (if you're on 64-bit), and once you have Steam running, your games will usually begin running just fine.

AdamR
02-06-2016, 02:05 PM
Well you only see the dedicated server when you have installed the game in steam (same with the sc sdk), the dedicated server runs under linux and the sdk provides compile tools for linux. It makes some sense but it is a bit confusing as linux players think the game will work when it won't. Hopefully the next updates gives us some more than this.

We have not ticked anything in Steam to suggest that there is anything available to Linux users other than the dedicated server. If your Steam client is telling you otherwise this issue will be a Steam-wide one. This could be something as simple as because you have made the "purchase" (albeit a free one) of Sven Co-op to your Steam account it feels obliged to present this to you in your library, even though you can't use it from the operating system you're currently on.

Pics for proof:

Application settings --

Store settings --

Onekopaka
02-06-2016, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the information Adam. The store at least says that it's only on Windows, (and I'm pretty sure it always has) so that's good.

Steam will not offer to install the application if it doesn't think it's compatible with the operating system you're on, and the "SteamOS + Linux" filter on the Library should also restrict to games that only install on Linux.

However, in my screenshot below, you can see that the Steam client does believe Sven Co-op is available for Linux.

The files that come down if you install this are the dedicated server files.

Solokiller
03-06-2016, 04:03 AM
The Linux installation includes hw.so, which is the client engine library (it has OpenGL instead of Software). That might be triggering it.

AdamR
03-06-2016, 08:54 AM
I wonder if OSX users also see this.

GiGaBiTe
03-06-2016, 07:10 PM
I have not tried but I suspect it is possible to run the Linux Steam on a RHEL-type OS, once the correct dependencies for the initial client are available (the steam client downloads a bunch of dependencies and throws them in your .local).

Steam runs fine on RH based distros, the only problem is that Debian/Ubuntu uses different naming schemes for libs. You have to spend a bit of time to make softlinks to bridge the nomenclature differences.

Onekopaka
03-06-2016, 08:24 PM
I asked my friend to try to install Sven Co-op on his Mac, and it turns out OS X users can also install Sven Co-op:

However, no binaries appear to come down, just content:

Metal
03-06-2016, 09:24 PM
Can i ask you? You can run Steam on FedorŠ°? When we talk about the Steam Linux, we mean only Ubuntu, even not Debian. what to speak of these Linux distributions like Fedora for geeks :) You would have asked about Redhat =)

Steam runs fine on Fedora 23. You have to install Steam itself through CLI and the Steam Repository, as the Steam website only has a download for the .deb file for Debian users.
Once installed however, it seems that anything that's marked as "Steam OS & Linux" runs just fine; and I've actually noticed incredible performance boosts running these games in Fedora instead of Win10.

80-100FPS Insurgency2 (Sourcemod, NVid GTX670M + Fedora23) v. 60-70 Insurgency2 (Sourcemod, NVid GTX970m + WIN10); identical in-game settings.

We have not ticked anything in Steam to suggest that there is anything available to Linux users other than the dedicated server. If your Steam client is telling you otherwise this issue will be a Steam-wide one. This could be something as simple as because you have made the "purchase" (albeit a free one) of Sven Co-op to your Steam account it feels obliged to present this to you in your library, even though you can't use it from the operating system you're currently on.

Pics for proof:

Application settings --

Store settings --

Looks like I was wrong about that, and I apologize for assuming it was a setting on the Sven Team's part. I am however glad that I pointed out the issue though as it might jump-start efforts on a Linux/Mac release.

The Linux installation includes hw.so, which is the client engine library (it has OpenGL instead of Software). That might be triggering it.

Think there might be a workaround?

Steam runs fine on RH based distros, the only problem is that Debian/Ubuntu uses different naming schemes for libs. You have to spend a bit of time to make softlinks to bridge the nomenclature differences.

I'd be fine making a bunch of softlinks if it meant being able to run Sven on my fedora laptop.

Solokiller
04-06-2016, 03:17 AM
Workaround for what? The game ran just fine in my Ubuntu VM, aside from performance and mouse input issues, font rendering breaking, and crashing on shutdown due to Miles's MP3 system not working properly. Most of those are caused by the VM, since Dynamite didn't have performance and mouse input issues.

AdamR
04-06-2016, 06:46 AM
I asked my friend to try to install Sven Co-op on his Mac, and it turns out OS X users can also install Sven Co-op:

However, no binaries appear to come down, just content.

This will definitely be a mistake on Steam's part then. We have not opted to distribute anything to OSX, not even the server is compiled to work on that.

I am however glad that I pointed out the issue though as it might jump-start efforts on a Linux/Mac release.

Not really. It doesn't change the fact that there are no people on the team that use either Linux or OSX on a regular basis and can develop software for it.

Solokiller
04-06-2016, 11:19 AM
It might be worth noting that the Linux install also contains Windows dlls (client.dll, verified by deleting and validating). Since those are supposed to be downloaded by the Windows version only, this means Steam must be confusing the OS with something else. Perhaps it checks whether an account has been used on a Windows system, rather than whether it's currently active on one? Alternatively, the depot configuration is incorrect.

AdamR
04-06-2016, 12:17 PM
"client.dll" is required to be downloaded by all platforms because this is how the engine checks if a player has modified their client library or not. (If we don't include this Windows players couldn't play on Linux servers.)

The same will apply to "client.so" and "client.dylib" if these ever get built, included on all platforms.

JORGETECH
04-06-2016, 04:21 PM
I think Sven Co-Op Team should hire some devs for Linux/ OS X so at least they are sure that they have an initial base for supporting it. I am pretty sure there are people who would like to do this.

EDIT: I hate when people say that there are not enough users for supporting something especially in gaming, we are in 2016 not 2004, linux users are growing and also games for linux OMG just look at this image (i.imgur.com/7acvzhW.png) and that is on three years imagine that in one or two more...

AdamR
04-06-2016, 05:28 PM
I think Sven Co-Op Team should hire some devs for Linux/ OS X so at least they are sure that they have an initial base for supporting it. I am pretty sure there are people who would like to do this.

You make it sound like we can afford to pay people. :) The majority of people with enough skill to take on this kind of task have full time jobs already or simply don't want to spend a huge quantity of time getting to know the large code base. I can dab in and out of compiling Linux binaries, and I do run some Linux servers, but I do not have a Linux desktop environment in which to test the client on.

My current build progress for Linux is:

Engine: Most components build successfully, 2 remain. (Both have the same issue.)
Game library: Client builds without any errors, not tested it yet. (Pending the 2 engine components.)

EDIT: I hate when people say that there are not enough users for supporting something especially in gaming, we are in 2016 not 2004, linux users are growing and also games for linux OMG just look at this image (i.imgur.com/7acvzhW.png) and that is on three years imagine that in one or two more...

I'm not sure that many of these people you mention want to spend their time on a 17 year old game. We're open to recommendations though.

JORGETECH
04-06-2016, 05:41 PM
I did not mention money on the answer I meant voluntary. Anyways just for curiosity what are the components that do not build successfully?

AdamR
04-06-2016, 06:53 PM
The components are called HW and GameUI. HW (hardware) is a library providing 3D drawing and that (essential for rendering), and GameUI provides client side UI components (a lot of the main menu and VGUI depends on this).

They both fail to compile for the same reason, but as the engine is closed source I can't tell you why.

GiGaBiTe
04-06-2016, 11:24 PM
I can dab in and out of compiling Linux binaries, and I do run some Linux servers, but I do not have a Linux desktop environment in which to test the client on.

I'd be willing to sign a NDA to do Linux testing and I'm chock full of machines running different flavors of Linux spanning 20 years of hardware.

They both fail to compile for the same reason, but as the engine is closed source I can't tell you why.

You don't have to tell us, it's pretty obvious it's something to do with Valve's horrific coding practices. We've all had to deal with that grief at some point in time.

AdamR
05-06-2016, 09:04 AM
Getting closer. :) There appears to be an #include compiler directive using source files from another folder, but with the same class and function names. Windows did not care about this.

Duggles
05-06-2016, 09:05 AM
I'd be willing to sign a NDA to do Linux testing and I'm chock full of machines running different flavors of Linux spanning 20 years of hardware.

I'm currently tinkering with the Linux client. I'm waiting until the engine is able to be built correctly, and it's nearly ready. Once that is done I know of a couple of outstanding bugs that I might be able to fix or, at least, diagnose better. After that, who knows.

JORGETECH
13-06-2016, 12:22 PM
I'm currently tinkering with the Linux client. I'm waiting until the engine is able to be built correctly, and it's nearly ready. Once that is done I know of a couple of outstanding bugs that I might be able to fix or, at least, diagnose better. After that, who knows.

I think a SC develepoer (not in the team now) said recently that he resolved some dependencies on the makefile and after that it built correctly, I actually think that is a problem because I am used to building from source too.