PDA

View Full Version : IO

RNG
28-01-2017, 05:34 PM
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58329250/1_Forum/iomapheader.png

http://scmapdb.com/map:io all the info and download

Current release: Version 1 Chapter one

Somewhere in 22th century an important laboratory in the moon Io has gone all messed up and stupid, and its your job once again to "fix" things no matter the international or intergalactic impact it has.

info:

Complete remake, or reimagining of iron-io-shocksiege

- Recommended only for 1-4 players

- Can be played alone

- Important for Server operators: Disable XP mod, buymenu or any gameplay altering plugin for this map,
otherwise stuff will most certainly break horribly.

Not sure about how the res file will work on this map cus never made to test it

http://scmapdb.wdfiles.com/local--files/map:io/0iobeta111_1

http://scmapdb.wdfiles.com/local--files/map:io/ioalpha1

http://scmapdb.wdfiles.com/local--files/map:io/iobeta111_2.jpg

RNG
28-01-2017, 06:35 PM
uploaded a hotfix that fixes couple of scripts and missing sound replacement, just to inform

Streamfox
28-01-2017, 07:41 PM
Some high quality map which should be in every server's map rotation.

Also dem dual glocks, to quickly clean up areas.

KernCore
28-01-2017, 07:45 PM
Oh yes, great map!

w00tguy123
28-01-2017, 09:16 PM
10/10 Exceeded expectations. Played through it twice and shot like 10 eyes and but I still can't figure out how to get the glocks.

JPolito
28-01-2017, 11:09 PM
Beautiful map, awesome custom weapons, wonderful ambience, and I love the classic vibe it gives off. The response time of the doors and elevators and the number of hidden secrets makes it feel like Quake. My only complaint is that perhaps it's too easy. I played with Sniper and we managed to get through the entire thing without many deaths. I died three times and was revived twice, while Sniper didn't die at all.

I think this would also be really fun with survival mode, if the difficulty were somehow increased.

Glad to see another release from you. :)

nico
29-01-2017, 05:05 AM
Too easy yes. Beside that: Wow! Very good vibe and very beautiful.

Streamfox
29-01-2017, 05:44 AM
We didn't die enough time.

Sounds like it is a map criteria to die certain times to justify map difficulty.
Personally I enjoyed running around taking few covers and clean up areas without dying. So nothing really did break the flow.
It was a refreshing experience and added to the immersion. I didn't have to re run same circles because killed by the same 10 hgrunts constantly.

Survival

No.

Darkassassin198
29-01-2017, 09:46 AM
This....This is the best map I've ever played, I got so hooked onto it that I thought I was playing a half life 1 mod for a moment.

You did well on this It's just perfect, I love the custom weapons and arms that was made for this, the arms are amazing and just work well for a gritty gray place like the map was.

Though some minor complaints, some secrets were confusing on how to unlock them, I managed to find a few yet when I noticed I missed some I decided to check the rooms with noclip, noticed a room early on that was behind a large computer like thing, couldn't find a button anywhere, tried destroying it, nothing still.

I'll look around again and see if I can figure it out, I also had a blast shooting the cams and eyes, was fun hunting them down, do wish there were more weapons maybe like a rifle of some sort.

10/10 would play again

JPolito
29-01-2017, 11:31 AM
Sounds like it is a map criteria to die certain times to justify map difficulty.
Personally I enjoyed running around taking few covers and clean up areas without dying. So nothing really did break the flow.
It was a refreshing experience and added to the immersion. I didn't have to re run same circles because killed by the same 10 hgrunts constantly.

That's not what I meant at all. If two people can play it and only need to utilize the revive function once or twice, imagine this map with four or eight or twelve players. They're going to blow through it. Death does not mean respawning and running back to your original location in modern maps where players can revive each other.

And I'm not sure what you have against optional survival mode. That's the most memorable gameplay mode that exists at the moment. Sure it doesn't work for huge servers with 16+ players, but it's great for 2-8 players, and many people actually do enjoy it. If you make it optional, large servers can leave it off and small servers can still have some fun with it. By not adding it at all, you're limiting the map's potential unnecessarily.

DrRhubarb
29-01-2017, 11:58 AM
No.

It was refreshing playing a map where we didn't die many times because it was spammed with dozens of snipers or grenade throwing soldiers with pinpoint accuracy (resulting in gibbing where reviving is out of the question anyway).
I can see how it can be too easy with a stockfull server, but I think this map is more made for a small round of players in mind? (correct me if I'm wrong)

Sniper
29-01-2017, 12:19 PM
I had a lot of fun playing that. Very cool ingredients in that level. Seemed very polished as well.

My only suggestion is to possibly make it a bit more difficult. Difficulty isn't necessarily the number of times you die. I think it's fair to say gameplay can also be about how close you get to 0 health points without dying.

Overall, excellent job RNG. :thumbup:

Streamfox
29-01-2017, 01:55 PM

It was refreshing playing a map where we didn't die many times because it was spammed with dozens of snipers or grenade throwing soldiers with pinpoint accuracy (resulting in gibbing where reviving is out of the question anyway).
I can see how it can be too easy with a stockfull server, but I think this map is more made for a small round of players in mind? (correct me if I'm wrong)

That is true, RNG always design maps for 4-6 players top. And not going like "this gonna be played by 32 players, I better stuff twenty hgrunts into a single room.

w00tguy123
29-01-2017, 02:02 PM
For difficulty increase with more players, a damage increase for the monsters would probably be good enough. I wouldn't want to see monster health increase or weapons become weak - the weapons feel good now because they can actually kill within in a few shots. The Barneys could be annoying to fight though since it's pretty hard to dodge AI bullets.

Hezus
29-01-2017, 04:37 PM
Really enjoyed this! Signature RNG styled map with great gameplay! Feels very classic with the keycards and such. Really looking forward to the next chapter.

About the difficulty concerns: I played this solo with only a few deaths (mostly during boss fights). I actually enjoy not dying on maps, so I was pretty pleased with the difficulty level, but I imagine this being a bit too easy on 3 or 4 players. It's not the amount of monsters but more the balance of the weapons. That pistol is fast firing and deadly accurate, plus the monsters have major headshot damage. If you have decent aim, you're not going to have any trouble with the regular troops. Just dailing back the weapon effectiveness would make this a great deal harder. Then again, it's quite fun to take them down with one well timed shot.

Last thing that comes to mind are the monsters. They are replacements, but for 90% still feel like regular HL mobs. You seem like to put a lot of effort into your creations so if you'd want to make the map even more unique you could look into creating monsters from scatch with new behaviour using Angelscript.

Anyhow, great map!

GarompaEstomper
01-02-2017, 02:43 PM
somehow I got stuck at the end. Used noclip to see if I was doing something wrong but it seems that was the end of the map (a room full of beds with blood and pieces of monsters on them.) No door opens and thats it.

TrEmPlEr
02-02-2017, 03:26 AM
Oh can someone BOMS it please ? :D haha I think thats a must be for such quality map!

RNG
02-02-2017, 09:27 AM
lol

somehow I got stuck at the end.

the surgical room has a button that triggers the ending, its the door on the left with the "face" when u enter the room. if u recall deluge had such stupid button in the end too, this ones just bit lesser and lacks any sort of cutscene or message to indicate it to everyone.

but since u had to noclip there makes me think something broke in the big warehouse part before then, if this is the case cant really tell what tho, because it hasnt never broken on me since its just too streamlined. unless squadmakers fail to spawn which is unlikely.

difficulty concerns

this is main thing i planned to revamp, if not already tweaking the existing skill since i did stupid last minute changes before final testings.
actually planned a deluge style difficulty system at start, except one that actually works. only problem: i planned the difficulty to change the edited skill mostly thru changecvar,
and now that the skill system is "simplified" to one setting instead of 3 i dont really know how to utilize this shit lol.

JPolito
02-02-2017, 09:28 AM
I wanted to wait a while before I moved the thread, but I think this is well-earned.

http://jpolito.zlique.org/mapping/bomsimg/BOMS.php

Hezus
02-02-2017, 03:24 PM
Oh, is there a secret related to the eyes you can find in the map? ;)

RNG
02-02-2017, 05:15 PM
lol thanks. also yes, there is something related to the eyes, also "security cameras" if u havent noticed them prior

BlueSpark
07-02-2017, 04:49 PM
..this is main thing i planned to revamp, if not already tweaking the existing skill since i did stupid last minute changes before final testings.
actually planned a deluge style difficulty system at start, except one that actually works. only problem: i planned the difficulty to change the edited skill mostly thru changecvar, and now that the skill system is "simplified" to one setting instead of 3 i dont really know how to utilize this shit lol.

I built a dynamic skill system just like that which worked really well but of course, is now completely obsolete. One way to adjust difficulty in response to number of players is to change the custom health value of your squadmakers on the fly. You can issue squadmaker spawned monsters a targetname and then use that to adjust their health dynamically for already-spawned monsters. I have no idea about scripted weapons, but rather than make them weaker dynamically you could increase the reload time which would also work. The other well-known technique is to remove some of the ammo in the map, either by issuing each a targetname then killtargetting some, or spawning each cache via an optional squadmaker. Adjusting max-live-children is another useful one, especially for the likes of the barneys! Maybe some environmental hazards of some description? An eyeball-headcrab that gibs you? Weird poison zones? idk..

Very nice map RNG, a very definite success! I look forward to exploring the next part..

BlueSpark
07-02-2017, 05:00 PM
And I'm not sure what you have against optional survival mode. That's the most memorable gameplay mode that exists at the moment.. ..and many people actually do enjoy it.

If you'd ever played on public servers, you'd see instantly that the vast majority have survival disabled; that was one of the most-asked questions at steam launch. Survival servers are very much in the minority. So I imagine RNG has the same thing against survival mode that the majority of players and serverops do.

Silencer
07-02-2017, 07:33 PM
Just played it and gotta say it's really fucking rock solid work.

JPolito
07-02-2017, 07:47 PM
If you'd ever played on public servers, you'd see instantly that the vast majority have survival disabled; that was one of the most-asked questions at steam launch. Survival servers are very much in the minority. So I imagine RNG has the same thing against survival mode that the majority of players and serverops do.

And yet the feedback we've had on it from many players has been overwhelmingly positive. It doesn't work with large servers, no, but it is favored enough that we are indeed going to add it as an option to most of the official maps in an upcoming release. If you don't like it, you can disable it. That's why we have not and will not be hardcoding it into any maps.

And don't assume that I don't play on public servers. I play more often than you may realize.

Joce
17-04-2017, 11:37 AM
No weapons spawning at the beginning since 5.11 update

KernCore
17-04-2017, 12:55 PM
Here's their fix: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dpqxt4lco12echt/io_weps.7z?dl=0

Joce
17-04-2017, 01:51 PM
Here's their fix: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dpqxt4lco12echt/io_weps.7z?dl=0

Thank you

19941994ra
01-09-2017, 12:27 PM