PDA

View Full Version : Linux Server

PowerMatt
06-03-2002, 03:08 PM
I know this has been asked a few times, but I figured I should ask again... Where's the Linux server port? From what I've heard, it's really not all that difficult... All of us penguins out here are feeling left out. :(

djmrmagic
06-03-2002, 04:45 PM
I dont think yourl see it untill SC 2 FINAL

PowerMatt
06-03-2002, 06:06 PM
That's what I guessed.

DAN200
08-03-2002, 02:44 PM
Or, why not give it a whirl yourself, the little java applet will convert and file to its Unix alternative and then let you download the changed version. You can find it >HERE< (http://www.iconv.com/dos2unix.htm).

I also know that it can be downloaded somewhere as a program, but i cant find it.

(btw all you codering clever admins, if this is really, really, REALLY wrong, feel free to say so and edit this post)

MassAsster
03-10-2002, 04:58 AM
Well 2.0F is out - And im not sure so im going to Ask . Does Sven Support Unix / Linix?

Sniper
03-10-2002, 10:59 AM
We're getting closer to a linux port.

PowerMatt
03-10-2002, 03:29 PM
The main reason I first asked was because my web server was running Linux, and it still is. You guys will have another permanent server when the Linux port comes out.

Slidje
05-10-2002, 03:55 PM
can a linux machine be networked to a windows 2000 server ?

junktext
05-10-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Slidje
can a linux machine be networked to a windows 2000 server ?

Well, am not sure exactly what you mean by that. Do you want to just have a *nix machine and a Windows 2k machine be able to see each other on a network? If so, yes they can :), since that is how the internet pretty much works.

Or are you saying is it possible to make a *nix machine be the router, and the HLDS server is on the Windows 2k machine. In that case, yes its possible as well, since that is how our clan server is running :p.

Mr. Chris
05-10-2002, 04:12 PM
I thought junktext was banned

junktext
05-10-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Chris
I thought junktext was banned

No, thank god. Some newbies on my ISP probably spammed the forum. Our ISP has two different services, one dialup, and two Wireless (802.11b).

And anybody using Wireless has the exact same IP as anybody else on the internet, but we all have different private (non-routeable) of course. Thus, everybody on Wireless gets the main router's IP.

I would have no part in spamming a forum I support. Plus I've been hosting a SC server for more than a month now, so why would I act like a llama?

Thankfully Sniper allowed me to become apart of the SC community once again, and I am trying my best to get my honor and respect back from the SC team.

vipah
05-10-2002, 05:27 PM
what exactly do you mean about networking win2k and linux toghether, yes they can run together, networks have standards, if your programs like each other i do not know. plz specify

Slidje
05-10-2002, 11:19 PM
well i wanted to know if i could use internet connection sharing so that all machines are online .
win2k is the host , my machine . linux would be the client machine and have a dedicated server on . would the client be able to run a server like that ?

junktext
05-10-2002, 11:57 PM
Well all in all, it takes alot of work to get it setup correctly. And it all depends on what type of a game server you want.

I can't really explain how you should set this up, that is because I need to know how your ISPs network is setup, & if they could coroperate in any way to help you get it setup.

It took a lot of legwork to get my clan server setup, but it may or may not be so how your ISPs network is ran. And I would also need to know what type of Windows 2000 you are running (Professional, Server, Advanced Server, or Datacenter Server), plus how your own LAN is ran (hubs, switches, routers, etc.).

Sorry if this isn't as much help as you were looking for, but I can't just give you a quick solution on such basic knowledge.

Good luck.

P.S. Do not use ICS to run a game server, besides horrible lag, the clients connection is never stable.

Slidje
06-10-2002, 01:52 AM
ics works just fine for my current server .
2 pcs with a crossover cable and nics . host running win2k pro and clients with winme or win2k pro .
you dont need to know how my isp is setup to tell me how to network two home machines .
im connected using a speedtouch usb dsl modem , type PPPoA , 50k down and 30 up capped .

junktext
06-10-2002, 02:47 AM
Okay, ICS is the simpliest way to go about it. But, I've had alot of experience with ICS, it sucks :). I mean, its fine for sharing your connection to just surf around, but for hosting a game server not at all.

Well, which ever way you go about it, you need a public IP for the game server, I'm sure your ISP only gave you one to use, and you either need to pay for another or just use NAT [which is like ICS, but a bit better for hosting].

50k down/30k up? Your DSL is as fast has a 56k modem? If thats the case, I wouldnt even host a game server :D.

vipah
06-10-2002, 08:09 AM
I would not pay for another ip, that would be wasting money, if you want to run a server from the linux box thru the windows box, then look up in the help docs about forwarding ports, you will need to forward certian ports, you can look up those ports on google under something like running behind firewall or something to that extent. But personally I would highly recommend running your linux box as your server for svencoop (when the port comes out) and running it for your internet sharing, it is a wonderful networking os. What dist do you use? I use Red Hat and Debian. Also if you want to keep a static ip, use no-ip. And to run multiple servers, in hlds startup commands put in -port 27014 or -27016 ect (default 27015) this is helpful if you are playing and running the server on the same box. Hope this helps.

vipah
06-10-2002, 08:13 AM
oh and about the bandwidth, with my 7 plr server, full, on a map that takes up bandwidth cause of a lot of monsters, i usually max out at 30KB/s raw upload and 16 KB/s raw dl. But on normal running conditions, my server takes about 17-20KB/s raw ul and 6-8 KB/s raw dl