PDA

View Full Version : Inventions

60 Megabyte File
22-03-2002, 08:54 PM
What have you invented in your life that you are proud of/afraid to tell of? Right now I am making a mouse with a fan inside of it made from an old video card fan. Seems simple enough, I have a shit load of spare mouses and mouse balls around

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/answerstips/story/0,24330,3376974,00.html

EDIT: I bet this is gonna turn out into my "Most Embarasing Moment" thread :)

(GIT)r-man
23-03-2002, 04:30 AM
I invented a mercury driven anti-gravity device when I was about 9 yrs old but no one would listen to me so i decided the world wasn't ready for it yet and scrapped the idea

:rolleyes:

koelzk
23-03-2002, 08:17 AM
It's not a real invention, but I had the idea for a program, which speaks your system time. I got the idea for it, when I browsed though the half life pak and discovered the vox and fvox waves. Through a very simple and still a bit buggy algorithm I could combine certain number waves (e.g. "one" or "twenty") to speak the time.
But the format is not the English time format (no pm/am), but you get to know the time anyway:

It just says:
"The time is now" [the hours] "hours" [the minutes] "minutes" "and" [the seconds] "seconds"

++++++ ADVERTISEMENT ++++++

You can download it on my Homepage:
Damaged Bytes entertainment? (http://www.damagedbytes.de.vu),
Direct download (http://homepages.compuserve.de/geierbbc/dl_en/time/index.htm)

++++++ ADVERTISEMENT ++++++

60 Megabyte File
23-03-2002, 08:26 AM
Somebody has way too much spare time...

koelzk
23-03-2002, 08:36 AM
Yeah, I know it was an one-day-project, but it certainly is the most useful program you will find on my page.
(Check out the other stuff on the stuff on the download page and you'll know what i mean, but beware of an extremely bad English)

BTW: Sorry, i did not understand the thing with the mouse with the installed fan. Could you show a picture?

60 Megabyte File
23-03-2002, 09:04 AM
I havent technically started it yet...i have a few of the parts and everything for it ,though. But just picture a microsoft mouse with a neat design of holes on the palm part and a tiny black fan that will keep you hands from sweating.

koelzk
23-03-2002, 09:17 AM
Ah, I understand, so the the fan keeps your mouse and your hands dry.

About the mouses with balls:
I always hate it when my mouse stucks, because of all the dirt on the roles inside of it. I think someone could improve the mechanism, so the mouse stops to get full of dirt.
This could be a very useful invention.

Lord Booga
23-03-2002, 09:36 AM
They have... its called an optical mouse....

And I have had many great ideas for things, but they were either too hard for me, or got buried in my hard drive somewhere.

60 Megabyte File
23-03-2002, 09:47 AM
I use Logitech laser mouse...such a great invention. (Pic included). You can buy optical mouse pads for them too...but i really dont see a difference in using the pad. I used to have the same problem as you...with the ball constantly getting stuck, me not being able to play sniper in tfc. I probibly went threw about 3 mouses until i bought this baby :)

60 Megabyte File
23-03-2002, 09:50 AM
I use a Logitech laser mouse...such a great invention. (Pic included). You can buy optical mouse pads for them too...but i really dont see a difference in using the pad. I used to have the same problem as you...with the ball constantly getting stuck, me not being able to play sniper in tfc. I probibly went threw about 3 mouses until i bought this baby :)

60 Megabyte File
23-03-2002, 09:51 AM
sorry...forgot the pic

And sorry for the double post

{DoA}DrunkMonkey
23-03-2002, 09:54 AM
yea :D opticall mouses KIKS ASS!

i got a logitech duel optical 2 LASERZ! DOUBLE AS ACCURATE! its ps2 socket but refreshes at 200 mhz unlike the other ps2 sockets only at 40 mhz.

and its soo smooth and it TOTALLY kiks ass, me geting head shots with a 350 ping :D and has a thumb button :p

Creeps
23-03-2002, 10:11 AM
My invention:
A webbased, in ASP written, MS Acces database manager.
Add, delete, edit, view database entries.
Very simple, yet very powerfull.

I use it for my site.
Currently I am in BETA 2. of the manager :)

Maybe I'll release it once.

MutantMFM
23-03-2002, 12:30 PM
I have a mouse similar but another brand they are so much better than a mouse with the ball.

Prod
23-03-2002, 01:51 PM
I've invented a new plan for a new type of bullet proof vest/helmet, but I haven't had the time to make it, and I can't test it because I don't have a gun.

Sabrina
23-03-2002, 02:10 PM
aw man i use that "the time is" its great!! try it!

koelzk
23-03-2002, 02:38 PM
Really! Cool. :D Someone likes my proggie, ... sniff... makes me gonna feel proud.

Here's some sort of a suggestion:
You can ask a person (a person you always wanted to speak the time, maybe yourself :D ) to record all the basic waves needed (Look into the directories fvox or vox to see what files you need to record).

Next: Stuff them into a new directory (e.g. "myvox") and edit the file dir.cfg. There you can specify the directory (e.g. "myvox"), which Thetimeis uses to speak the the time.

About the anti-dirt-stuck-mouse:
Yes, I know these cool optical and the laser thingies, but I thought more of an upgrade for the old ball mouse. Maybe you could build in a little brush inside the mouse, which always cleans the ball, so the ball does not take the dirt from the mouse pad to the rolls. Well, just an idea.

Sushi
23-03-2002, 02:41 PM
I invented a proton-smashing atom-scrambling high-voltage spork w/ K203 Knife attachment powered with a radioactive proto plasmic core.

P.s. I didnt really invent anything, but i know the future and found this. ITs not a military weapon, just an eating utinsil.

P.S.S I use an optical mouse, from Logitech. But i use no mouse pad. Though, when i move my mouse, its very shakey. I have dificulty skinning.

Phx
23-03-2002, 11:41 PM
I invented the internet.
Wait never mind that was Al Gore:p

60 Megabyte File
24-03-2002, 12:14 AM
lol

NYPD SWAT Robot
24-03-2002, 12:26 AM
60mb are u back?

ON TOPIC:

I once invented a game
It stole from checkers and gambling
It was like checkers, but you played with coins
The better coins could go more steps
It'd be great for a trounament

MutantMFM
24-03-2002, 01:07 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by NYPD SWAT Robot
[B]60mb are u back?

No he is not just using his dads computer or the schools computer to bad though.

Static-X_Solja
24-03-2002, 01:16 AM
I bought a logitech mouse when they first came out, it musta been like 40 or 50 bucks, within 3 or 4 months the god damn thing started freakin out and wouldent move the cursor to where i told it to... Those damn things still do that cuz i just threw my money down the drain:mad:

Lord Booga
24-03-2002, 06:51 AM
My last mouse was a logitech mouse... lasted 4 years before it broke... and i think that was because of the way i dropped it dozens of times :)

I got a Micro$oft Optical Mouse... works great....

{DoA}DrunkMonkey
24-03-2002, 08:39 AM
get a duel opticall logitech mouse! it kiks ass :D

i had a cordless opticall mouse and it licked donkey balls, or in other words it WAS CRAP!

now i got this one and its ssmoooooooooooth and moves wi ease, and is jus the near perfect mouse ya can get.
got 2 lasers ya see, unlike the other optical ones with only 1 laser.

KillJoy
24-03-2002, 08:46 AM
OT, word of caution, with MS mice(Ive had 3) Is that you keep the cord comming out of the mouse as straight as you can, mine freeked out, was loosing power.

Thought it was crap.
Turned out that the wire was worn out to the point of "How the F#*@ Did it even work!"

OT/

Anyway, I invented the name [MOC]EdCrab!, Fruit Smoothies, E-Mail and ICQ.

Ignore the latter three..

Creeps
24-03-2002, 09:01 AM
I got a Logitech, it 0wnz j00! :P