PDA

View Full Version : Darkvoyage

Crazy Canadian
24-03-2002, 08:53 PM
This is my first sven map. I've done maps for other mods, mostly TFC. But, someone suggested I do maps for sven so I can work on textures and detailing without all the entities that TFC has. So here's what I came up with. Darkvoyage is your standard steal some classified files from an american research base under siege by crazed aliens and try to get out alive maps :p , with a twist. You discover a portal to another planet ( no, not Xen ) Anyways give me some feedback, negative or positive, I can take it :cool:

Unzip the file to your hl directory.

http://www.revolution-webdesign.com/darkvoyage.zip

This is an OLD map, so don't complain :rolleyes:

MrOrange
25-03-2002, 04:50 AM
...very nice m8, could do maybe with a more co-op attitude, ie make some switches out of reach to one player, but if theres two, the can jump on each other and reach the switch...? Only a thought... ps ya have a light out of alignment with the ceiling near those 2 gargs...(still playing)

...ok just finished it - very nice :p

Crazy Canadian
25-03-2002, 06:34 AM
I know what ya mean about the team work thing. I was thinking of making it so a team mate has to be boosted over
a wall in order to get to the HW grunt, who is stupid enough to be standing infront of explosives :p , and then blow open the wall. Wouldn't be too big a change.

MrOrange
25-03-2002, 06:39 AM
Yer - thats the idea - otherwise (apart from the odd miss-aligned texture) and my bad spelling - its great! :cool:

Crazy Canadian
25-03-2002, 07:02 AM
Did ya notice the wall with a decal on it? <--Hint: There isn't an egon gun behind it, noo :D I'm gonna make it just a little harder to get at, cuz it spoils the gameplay. Still kinda fun to watch everything just fall apart :p

MrOrange
25-03-2002, 07:28 AM
hehe to be honest i didnt find it, but then i wasnt looking (if ya know what i mean) - :p

Slidje
26-03-2002, 04:36 AM
now this is a quality map . for your first effort im extremely impressed . i just played through both levels and i loved the stargate twist .
what you definetly need is custom textures in each area so you know your in a more futuristic area .
as mentioned before , you do need a lot more team play elements . the first retinal scanner i saw i expected some cooperation and i was dissapointed that there wsnt , since i was with my cousin on the server .

all in all its a job well done and ill be running this map on the server .

Mad Gonesy
26-03-2002, 06:05 AM
Not bad! Didn't feel as polished as the official Sven Co-op maps but still a good first effort. The stargate stuff was pretty cool, the maps seemed pretty run of the mill up to that point but that clinched it for Best of Showcase.

Mainly you need to focus on balance. Attacking a Garg that can't reach you with AR Grenades, a RPG and plenty of ammo, grenades, sachel charges and full HEV isn't a problem. Hell, two garg's aren't a problem in that kind of situation.

The difficulty in Sven Co-op doesn't just come from how many monsters you throw at the player's, it comes from how much they have to ration out their equipment, you have to be careful not to ration it too much or players get pissed off and people can hog the ammo. So the best idea is to stick it all in the cfg and to put the occasional bits of ammo along the way. Every player has their share and can use it as they like, ain't gonna get players sitting on a respawn point any time soon. The longer the player keeps going the more likely they're gonna run out of ammo.

So simply:

Remove most of the HEV Chargers and health chargers. Leave in a few, but only before/after a tough fight. Use the command startarmor 50 to start every player with half HEV power.

Remove most of the weapons and ammo, maybe leave in things like the RPG, but don't stick down ammo alongside it and put weaponstay on. Put a sachel charge, 5 grenades, 2 AR Gren(maybe) and a pistol into the cfg.

Crazy Canadian
26-03-2002, 04:27 PM
I see where you're commin from on the excessive amount of weapons. The first RL is already taken out. The whole story behind that even being there is that I had that open area full of monsters ( about 30 <--r_speeds were emense), after the first 3 or 4 play tests I decided to cut back on the monsters in the area and add the shipping containers, but, I forgot to get rid of the rl :D . As for teamwork i'm reading up on how to make it so you have to activate 2 retinal scanners in order to open doors. Anyways after I put in these few changes I'll start thinking of where DarkVoyage2 will take place.

Crazy Canadian
26-03-2002, 06:30 PM
ok I've gone over some stuff. I managed to cover most of the stuff you guys told me.

Download the 555kb upgrade:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/hackerj/dvupdate.zip

Download the 2.5mb full version:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/hackerj/darkvoyage.zip

Happy Fragging :D

slippery
27-03-2002, 03:12 AM
nice
tho u should make soemthing in between the gates
liek from stargate
sorta like the thing from svencoop1

have some blue flashing lights go past and stuff

the architecture was a bit linear though it was a fun map

Crazy Canadian
27-03-2002, 04:04 PM
I didn't realy like the portal in svencoop1. It gets annoying after you've gone through it a few times. Although the first time you see it it's pretty cool.

Slidje
27-03-2002, 09:07 PM
ok theres a problem in teh map , major on if people exploit it .
this door (pic enclosed) is opened when you perss both switches . but if you pres them again it shuts and never opens again .
http://www.btinternet.com/~ezekiel.fireseed/darkvoyage0000.jpg

slippery
27-03-2002, 10:48 PM
yer well something like it
likke the stargate thing

Crazy Canadian
28-03-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Slidje
[B]ok theres a problem in teh map , major on if people exploit it .
this door (pic enclosed) is opened when you perss both switches . but if you pres them again it shuts and never opens again .

I never had that problem when I tested it with another person. Although I'll look into it. The only problem I noticed there was that the switches have toggle checked when it shouldn't be. I goofed up there. For now just mess with em till they work :p

BMT
30-03-2002, 05:25 PM
Design and architecture is average to above average in most places, not bad.

Cons

Too easy
Some areas lack architecture and look blocky
Rare occurances of texture cockups
Why does the houndeye have 1000 health?

I_like_HL
30-03-2002, 09:26 PM
The gate one was too dark

Hezus
31-03-2002, 09:02 AM
I really enjoyed the map, it looks nice and r_speeds are fine. I find it quite easy and short tho. You should make it more "cooperative". Make some area`s where you first need to work together before you can advance, not just some "boring-press-2-buttons-at-the-same-time-to-open-that-door."

I`ll give it a 70 % rating :)

Crazy Canadian
01-04-2002, 07:30 PM
It is pretty easy. Im putting more puzzle type things in my next map, I already have some places that are almost impossible for 1 person to complete. As for the houndeye, it's just something I kept forgetting to fix. I originaly used it just to experiment with the custom health thing to see how much is too much. 1000 is definately a number to stay away from :p The doors with the 2 buttons wasn't originaly planned. That's why it kinda looks like it was just thrown in without planning. Anyways thanks for the input. I'll keep all this in mind for my next map.

halfsven20
21-07-2003, 09:55 AM
once again the url is not working, please provide a working one thanks

goanna
09-10-2003, 06:14 AM
Tried to get this one for awhile now and link still gives "page can't be displayed" message, all the links. Web site gone or what?

Crazy Canadian
09-10-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by goanna
Tried to get this one for awhile now and link still gives "page can't be displayed" message, all the links. Web site gone or what?

Ya, it's been toast for awhile. I lost the zip file too.

Snowcarve
09-10-2003, 07:25 PM
Then perhaps someone who still has the zip could host it? I really wanna play this.......

I personally keep all my downloaded stuff on a network drive just in case. (hehe that drive has almost 10 GB of downloaded stuff in it:p )

Crazy Canadian
09-10-2003, 08:47 PM
I can't afford a good size hd and I lost the floppy I keep my mapping stuff on. O well, when I get my new computer I'll keep stuff on cd-rws ( harder to lose ).

goanna
10-10-2003, 06:06 AM
If someone wants to send me the zip I'll host it on one of my web sites.

The_6th_Monkey
10-10-2003, 10:11 AM
hmmmm appaers another piece of work has just gone down the drain :rolleyes:

goanna
10-10-2003, 04:25 PM
That sucks!

Crazy Canadian
13-10-2003, 09:00 PM
Oh well, it's not like I won't re-make it. I still have the layout pinned up in my room. I've learned so much more about mapping since I made the original. I always wanted to remake it using some of the stuff I learned while mapping for cs, tfc and svencoop. Svencoop actualy teaches ( well, forces you to learn ) a lot of mapping techniques. You gotta learn em to keep up with the pack. Anyways, that's my speech on why I love svencoop haha. :D

goanna
17-10-2003, 04:52 AM
Will be watching for future maps from you.

Felix
18-10-2003, 06:45 AM
And let me guess, no one have the map and cant upload it?

I dont remember this map and im sure i dont have it, this is still from the time that Mad Jonesy was here soo, he problably have it.

Im sure that somoane else have it too

EvilPentaPenguin
18-10-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Felix
And let me guess, no one have the map and cant upload it?

I dont remember this map and im sure i dont have it, this is still from the time that Mad Jonesy was here soo, he problably have it.

Im sure that somoane else have it too

I do... I'm just too lazy to find it tonight. Maybe tomorrow.....if I remember.

The_6th_Monkey
20-10-2003, 11:19 AM
Get it boy.....or I'll send chubby after ya :D

EvilPentaPenguin
20-10-2003, 04:44 PM
I forgot :S Just found it one of my many cd's. I save all zip/rar/exe files I get from downloading maps, updates, models, and mods ;).

Uploading now, hopefully I have enough webspace for it. I'll edit post when it's done.

EDIT:

http://home.insightbb.com/~clanhb/darkvoyage.zip

goanna
20-10-2003, 05:22 PM
Big hoorah to Evilpentapenguin.

Crazy Canadian
21-10-2003, 02:47 PM
THanks for finding and uploading that :O To save yer site from anymore downloads I uploaded it to my site ( http://www.miragecentral.com )

You can get it here (http://www.miragecentral.com/darkvoyage.zip)

The_6th_Monkey
21-10-2003, 03:34 PM
I recommend you move that new link to the first post with the edit function

EvilPentaPenguin
21-10-2003, 04:17 PM
Want jacked too? :D

Crazy Canadian
21-10-2003, 06:08 PM
That would be nice :D

EvilPentaPenguin
21-10-2003, 08:09 PM
Uploading now. I took darkvoyage off my webspace since you have it now. :p

I'll edit this post when it's fully uploaded and working.

EDIT: http://home.insightbb.com/~clanhb/jacked.zip

The_6th_Monkey
24-10-2003, 03:15 AM
I just played the first part and I don't understand why its in BOM since it looks no where near as good as the the current BOM's

:confused:

Oh yeah and was that gauss and egon place a secret :p
I think I might of found it accidentally although I'm not sure if it opens when u kill the garg :p

goanna
25-10-2003, 04:37 AM
May not have been as picky back then, not that bad though. I thought was rather good, not sure if BOMS material either however but not my decision.

Raging_Wulf
25-10-2003, 06:23 AM
It's way too easy. Could play through both parts without dying even once ON MY OWN. This map seems to suit better as single player maps for HL rather than a Svencoop map :rolleyes:

Try raising the difficulty on it, and make sure ALL Gargs will be able to get to you, the way it is now, you can just stand in one spot and throw grenades and missiles at them.

And remove those egon's, they are the surpreme Garg Killing Tool, and shouldnt even be there.

Morgan
25-10-2003, 06:58 AM
i played it, it was pretty interesting, but there is no way you can beat that by yourself without dying. na ah, impossible.

i managed to get as far as the stargate. when i popped thru and went down that hill, those grunts killed me in about 2 seconds from full health. after several deaths trying to get them, i was forced to use god mode.

Raging_Wulf
25-10-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Morgan
i played it, it was pretty interesting, but there is no way you can beat that by yourself without dying. na ah, impossible.

i managed to get as far as the stargate. when i popped thru and went down that hill, those grunts killed me in about 2 seconds from full health. after several deaths trying to get them, i was forced to use god mode. OK, for the part before the stargate, it's simple, just run back and heal yourself at the hundreds of health chargers you find throughout the level :rolleyes:

I was surprised by the amount of grunts in the first section of the second map, but they werent that hard. By holding duck all the time, crawl down, shoot a few rounds, go up before they start shooting, then repeating that about 30-40 times or so, and they'll die. That's how I managed it without dying, plus that the hgrunts apparently couldnt get to ya. Seems Canadian needs to work on the layout (enemies should be able to shoot you, either by simply seeing you and shoot you, or to move in and find you once they know you're there)

Yes, my tactic was pretty lame, but it was effective :rolleyes:

Plus that placing an egon near a garg is just dumb. Only takes 13 egon ammo to kill those big gargs...

Crazy Canadian
26-10-2003, 09:16 PM
That's the response I got when it first came out, I just felt I should point out this was my first map for HL ( my first released anyways ). Mad Jonsey was doin the showcase at the time and I think the map played the "Secret love for stargate" part of his brain :P

Anyways, if I were to remake this it would only slightly resemble what it does now. I really didn't expect this to go into the showcase. I was real happy about it though, real confidence boost to have Jonsey move it into the showcase. It kept me goin at it.

Hard-drive crashes and steam have really put me off on hl mapping lately. Steam undermines mapping efforts because of the way wad files are handled and I'm not exactly in the financial position where I can go buy that 120gig hd so Im SOL till they change the wad system.

Anyways, I went off on multiple subjects there but meh if you've read this far you obviously dont mind :D If Jacked is up which I think it is play that through. I personaly think it's a huge leap from DV. Still had a ways to go to being as good as a map by the "Kahunas of Svencoop mapping". What can I say, we all strive to be as good as the best :D

Oh and the egon was a lame attempt at a secret room haha, it's very easy to find without even knowing it was a secret ( cuz it runs something like "Oooo grenades... and a poor helpless houndeye... hmmm....hmmmmm.... I think I'll throw it at him. *boom* Hmm, what's this... a dark hole in the wall. )

Oh ya... my final... final words: Look at the date of the very first post... It seems some of you are talkin about it like I put it out yesterday. ( annoying at best when I read those comments :D )

The_6th_Monkey
27-10-2003, 03:32 AM
lol I remember....Jacked, if its the one I'm thinking of it was the really cool one which I got to the end of and found it wasn't finished...... :(

That train led no where :p

*woops I was thinking of wrong map :*D

goanna
27-10-2003, 05:29 AM
I liked both maps enough to play them 3 times since I redownloaded them. I remembered Jacked from before but never got a chance to play Darkvoyage. Darkvoyage is good enough to keep on my hard drive and play again, so, good job. LOL.

EvilPentaPenguin
27-10-2003, 04:10 PM
I don't understand why u guys have a problem with these maps, they're very good. Yes, they are easy, but so what, they're fun, and they don't get boring quickly like a lot of maps do after the first few times of playing them. I thought he did a great job on them all.

UTA
13-07-2004, 01:41 PM
ffs none of the maps work.. why dont u attach them?

Crazy Canadian
13-07-2004, 04:11 PM
Please read the above posts. It discusses the fact that this map is long gone. In all honesty you didn't miss much :P

The-Real-Game
13-07-2004, 04:45 PM
http://www.clanbbb.com/nuke/modules.php?name=Downloads&op=getit&lid=136

You can get it there.
You need to register an account on the site first though.

Crazy Canadian
13-07-2004, 05:11 PM
... wow... that's news to me lol

EvilPentaPenguin
13-07-2004, 07:40 PM
Please read the above posts. It discusses the fact that this map is long gone. In all honesty you didn't miss much :P

Your too modest :p

Cesar
12-08-2004, 09:00 AM
Unbelievable. Google search of "darkvoyage.zip" only leads to this page. I had to go this far to register and input the security code just to download this map while I was downloading the same files off a HL:SC server. -_-

Crazy Canadian
17-08-2004, 09:43 PM
Well, what I've noticed after playing through this is it seems to be one of my earlier versions of it. It has bugs I fixed, chiefly the invisible alien slave that shoots at players near the begining. I think, however, that I'll be remaking Dark Voyage as I think I've said before. Possibly to the tune of an assault style map, we'll see how it works out. As for getting the map use this link if you don't wish to sign up for downloads: http://www.revolution-webdesign.com/darkvoyage.zip

CPeanutG
02-09-2007, 04:48 PM
Links are 404'd. Found a mirror:

http://files.filefront.com/darkvoyagezip/;3879122;/fileinfo.html