PDA

View Full Version : Debate: Rock or Rap

Honking Donkey
25-03-2002, 11:16 AM
So my friend and i were debating which type of music is better, he supports rock and says rap is only about getto shit
I support rap and i say that rock talks only about people having to fallow the trend, and you better fallow it.

I support Rap Wholeheartedly, just because people such as Emenem has made bad raps about lesbians, hoes and bitchess. The people make that particular rapper the scapegoat of rap, if they just look at other raps about love and the feelings the rappers have on the current events they could actually see the light side of it

Give your argument and it has to be support by a statement, not just rap sux, rock sux both of em suk, but give reasons plz

Creeps
25-03-2002, 11:51 AM
Ok, me being a metalhead (darker version of the hardrocker) I am going to support rock, and explain, that rock IS NOT about following the trend.
RAP is about following the trend and about having the biggest ego when your making your music.

Metal/Rock is about expressing your feelings, good or bad. Most of them are bad, so you've got a good exaust with the music. (the music is rough and all)

The part that metalheads/hardrockers are satan worshippers is NOT true.
Satanworshippers can listen to metal, not the other way around. Get it?
I know why ppl think we worship satan, cause almost every band has evil things in there songs, covers etc...but dont be afraid of it.

anyway, I support: ROCK/METAL ! :)
Peace!

Static-X_Solja
25-03-2002, 12:15 PM
Both, bein a white boy most people wont accept if i just support hard core rap so i keep it evenly distributed. Mainly system of a down and cypress hill are my all time favs but there 2 very different kids of genres. For example, when people hear rap they think of drugs violence and killing cops and stuff. I admit rap is mostly based around that but there are few rappers who keep it clean. Rock on the other hand such as heavy metal, does express anger alot. But it can also be positive.

Freaking Neo
25-03-2002, 01:49 PM
Linkin park is a bit of rap and rock
so il go for both :D

Creeps
25-03-2002, 02:15 PM
...and why? arguments!

Mad Gonesy
25-03-2002, 03:36 PM
So Linkin Park is a load of rockrap? Can't debate that.

Got to be rock all the way for me, any arguements are pretty pointless since its all down to taste. I don't like Rap, but I'm not going to convince anyone that is a hard core Rap fan that rock is better.

Hezus
25-03-2002, 04:26 PM
Well, I was fond of rap for a little while.. but ofcourse..

Hey..hey..mai..mai.. Rock and Roll will never die..

Creeps
25-03-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Mad Jonesy
So Linkin Park is a load of rockrap? Can't debate that.

Got to be rock all the way for me, any arguements are pretty pointless since its all down to taste. I don't like Rap, but I'm not going to convince anyone that is a hard core Rap fan that rock is better.
I honor thou opinion on LinkinPark! *worshipping smiley*

DeathBog
25-03-2002, 05:59 PM
I have noticed one extremely important difference between rap and rock.

In general, rock is about making hate.
Rap, on the other hand, is about making love.

Therefore, I prefer rap.

Turrican
25-03-2002, 06:06 PM
I dislike both, because they are both incredibly annoying and repetetive. Rock is just loud angry shouty people with a completely unorigional tune, and Rap is just the same song over and over with a different singer, and some slightly different words.

Classical music rules!

*L*E*O*N*
25-03-2002, 06:37 PM
Linkin Park is a music gender called rapcore. Sorta like Insane Clown Posse, they are rapcore also. You don't hear krap with electric guitars and screaming, you hear nothing but a bump bump krap. My brother likes bass. I hate bass. Rap has much bass. I hate F*kin bass, it's about as good as going outside and listening to a god dang thunderstorm. Or else I'm hearing the crap stuff. I like metal. I'm a metalhead. I like metal and stuff like that because when I hear girls saying they like the song I hate it. They don't like metal. I really hate when they sing to it. It's sounds funny when they don't know what they are singing when it comes to metal music. I've listened to metal music so much I can understand almost all of the words. It sounds very funny listening to my sister trying to sing that stuff just to annoy me but makes me happy because it sounds so dang funny. It sounds like she's just saying anything that sounds like what they are singing in the song. Sorta sounds like chinese the way she sings.

Static-X_Solja
25-03-2002, 07:03 PM
I have noticed one extremely important difference between rap and rock. In general, rock is about making hate. Rap, on the other hand, is about making love. Therefore, I prefer rap.

Wait a sec, you must be talking about r&b cuz mostly rap is about drugs sex and killing...

Sampson
25-03-2002, 09:49 PM
I like the old school rap. I like listening to Wu-tang, and particulary ghost face killa from them. Shyheim, Tribecalledquest, rahzel, gza, rza, run DMC, and people from the early and mid 90's. The newer rappers like ludacris, dmx, and all them are crap (except the ludacris song "block lock down") and maybe a few good songs here and there I must admit.

Lord Booga
26-03-2002, 02:16 AM
*Shudder*

Some of you people need a decent musical taste....

I don't mind a bit of rap...

But all that sh*t like Linkin Part and whatnot all sound the same! They are all screaming about how miserable they are with guitars going so loud in the background you can't hear what they are saying anyway... That is probably their secret... they gradually make their fans deaf...

MadBopp
26-03-2002, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by DeathBog
I have noticed one extremely important difference between rap and rock.

In general, rock is about making hate.
Rap, on the other hand, is about making love.

Therefore, I prefer rap.

You are wrong DeathBog. Rock is about expressing feelings. And it can be everything from hate, violence, love, passion, depression, everything! The difference is that rock is telling the story of the songwriter. Now and then it is also just about nothing. The lyrics in rock depends on the genre. Nirvana was makeing grunge-rock and it was about love, confusiuon, drugs and depression (mostly, not it all!). Marilyn Manson is attacking the christanity and society for being blind. His songs is about rebellion and he wants to make you realise that the world we live in is NOT as perfect as God and the Government claims. And if you have seen his latest video (Tainted Love, it's a cover version of Soft Cell), you will discover that he is pissing on the hip-hop/rap and pop culture.
Instead of claiming that rock is about hate, try to listen to, or read some of the lyrics. Then you will discover that it is NOT all about hate. Nor is it as commercial as the pop and rap culture. Try to take a look at all those rappers with their mansion stuffed with all that expensive shit, their big expensive cars and their "bling bling" (DAMN! I hate that word!). Then say again that rock is all about money and following trends! (oh... that was for Honking Donkey). It is not the rock communities following the masses! Look at the way they (we/I) dresses! Do you think that is up in time?

-Bopp, metalhead

[EDIT] On second thought: This is an endless discussion, because we all like different stuff. Just be careful with the claimings.

Slidje
26-03-2002, 04:29 AM
rap takes about as much talent as a nursery ryhme , which is all it is .
rap`s popularity sky rocketted when the NWA released "fuck the police" . deathbog , your very wrong cos rap is almost always about about hate , disrespect , fighting and killing .
people like busta ryhmes , however , do have amazing talent which has to be credited since he blends his music to his vocal art .
rock takes some degree of skill with guitars and drums so it holds more weight with me but just as in raps case , theres a whole lot of bullshit around in the rock genre .
the best rock bands of the world are largely unknown .
i dont like bands , with radiohead being the exception .
i prefer individual songs so every genre in music has expections .
you cant hold an entire music group to be shit without acknowledging some of the greatest pieces of music ever made .
stop ruffling each others feathers by trying to make this into a flame war and offer some music you absolutely love from each of your chosen styles .
then maybe you can udnerstand why someone likes rap/rock without being ignorant to a different kind of music .
id like to say "mogwai - like herod" is a masterpiece of rock that everyone should hear at least once with the lights off and the volume up .
to a lesser degree id say "busta rhymes - gimme some mo`" is good .

Black Cat
26-03-2002, 06:58 AM
Good rap is hard to make, cus' most stuff has to ryhme and if you don't give it time you'll end up having*insert bad word or disrespectful word here* in every verse, I like rock that is crative(like the offspring)and that doesn't have many bad words, but sure as hell I like hard rock(like uh, I don't know)

KillJoy
26-03-2002, 08:17 AM
No, If I had an out and out choice, rock over rap.
My style? Smooth music that is soothing, progressing into faster, and more diverse song, far preferable.;)
(Kenna, War in me. Mechwarior2, Fury3, some of Hoobastank, and Hoob has basic issues with syncapataion.)
and just about anything with a nice drumbeat.But its too complex to explain here.

Yea Linkin Puke! CRAAAAALLLLINNNNGGGG INNNN MYYYY SKIINNNNN...Oh yea,.. sure.
(do a study on that song, theta backwards and any other way you can think about, its REALLy bad backwards, nuff said, its too vulgar to type here...)

Ever notice that songs that tend to Chant, just realy suck?

Clasical Music All the WAY!
(or my music, me loves ACID Mixer...:D)
*Fires Up Auido Interlude, by KillJoy.*

c0mm0n
26-03-2002, 08:54 PM
Read aloud:

"My mind-set is becoming a soulful tool used to regenerate life in it's true essence. Oh how great the blessing's, even though I fight wars, cause war orchestrated so hard. Who am I to question the Lord. I am he and he is in me. Together living eternally in peace. But still there remains one problem, that beast, that killer instinct that never sleeps. It cries for the need to feed. Wicked deeds instilled in thy heart. Why has thou are forsaken thee? Did you not want me to be apart of your holy family? Forcefully conjured up a potion to put our heart to the madness. Memories of past trials, tribulations, breath taking. Altercations, smoking weed, drinking. And on fornacation, genital mutilation, spiritual invocation's, clenses. Together we can change it, rewrite the script to this horror movie, in which we play, ignorance no longer bliss as we march on through judgement day, try to repent. Utilize the gifts to their extent or fall victim to the lynch."

"It was my desire to become immortal, the lust to be abnormal, unique and remanufacture the hearts from the crowd that’s loyal to the natural lost. Ever since I was a small seed had to mentally struggle, we wasn’t allowed to go certain places, as ladies splash make-up on their faces in hopes of being reanimated. I wish there was a world we could live where there wouldn’t be no need for funerals and hearses with bodies inside cursing. Gettin carried away thinkin they will see a brighter day, but they’re sadly mistaken because they’re burning. Knowledge is understanding what we are learning. Discerning right from wrong quite early in the morning."

i choose rap because i can relate more on what they say. i lived a simlar lifestyle and that's basically why i like it. hell, i don't even seperate music by genre... there's only two types of music: tolerable music and intolerable music. i'm sure i would like rock more if i was exposed to it first because topic wise i think it's similar.

a lot of you like to generalize because what you are saying about rap/rock is what's playing on TV. i am a "lyrics" type of guy and don't see much difference between them.

Sankis
26-03-2002, 09:04 PM
Oops I did it again, I made you believe this thread doesn't suck.

You've been hit by, you've been struck by a

Smooth Criminal

Malek
26-03-2002, 10:18 PM
This thread has been brought back. I saw no signs whatsoever that this thread should be DRed.

We regret any inconvenience.

Kitten
27-03-2002, 09:08 AM
I agree with madbopp. It's [rock] not all about hate.
Though i can say, that some rappers had a pretty good message to spread, but they all spread their own message. They all have their own message. Rap, Rock, R&B, whatever. its only how you interpret it.
Im not a big fan of rap. matter of fact, i hate it. it's just not my thing, but it's not because of the messages, or the scapegoat rappers like eminem. It's because i just dont like the beat, it doesent move me.
Rock, i like, simply because its fun to sing to, and I enjoy the music. but its not that shit you guys listen to. Linkin park, Staind, whatever you guys pass off as rock. thats not true rock.
My friends, Lynyrd Skynyrd is true rock. Ozzy is true rock. Bad Company, Tom Petty, Led Zeppelin *melts* Okay, i'd better get on with the point..*cleans up*
The old stuff. The new stuff isnt, in my head, real rock. but maybe thats just me. its a pass off as rock. true, some of it's good, but its not the original stuff. It should be named as something else, but not rock. But thats my opinion.

*L*E*O*N*
27-03-2002, 06:10 PM
Lynyrd Skynyrd is more of country music.

60 Megabyte File
27-03-2002, 09:47 PM
I like rock *hides from Honking Donkey*. I like a few rap songs, like some DMX songs and Grits...but I just like rock. And i like songs that start out rock, but then move to rap.

Kitten
01-04-2002, 10:29 AM
You did not just say lynyrd skynyrd was country.......
*growls* -.-; It's NOT country...
it's southern rock and roll..theres a difference...
country sucks...
southern rock and roll..shit..i grew up listening to it...

Hezus
01-04-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Turrican
I dislike both, because they are both incredibly annoying and repetetive. Rock is just loud angry shouty people with a completely unorigional tune, and Rap is just the same song over and over with a different singer, and some slightly different words.

Classical music rules!

What is called "ROCK" is NOT : just loud angry shouty people with a completely unorigional tune. That`s Extreme hardrock or Heavy metal. Rock is smooth and with many sorts of sounds. You should listen to November Rain from Guns and Roses.. one of THE real rock no`s in the world.. Want some real rock ? Bruce Springsteen, Rolling Stones and Dire Straits.

Linkin Park and Papa Roach are !PUNK!rock.. that`s something completely different.

DeathBog
01-04-2002, 09:58 PM
I like the scores for movies by John Williams. Is there anyone out there who doesn't like the them to E.T.? I didn't think so!

Jurassic Park, Star Wars, A.I.; they all got throwed music.