PDA

View Full Version : Progress report: sc_MarSara

KracKiwi
17-08-2001, 06:04 PM
Ok guys, since i got approval from epyon to continue with my StarCraft map, I've been testing out some of the stuff that will be featured in it.

Before I get to the pics, I wanna give you the story and some gameplay stuff..

You and your squad of hardened Marines were just about to lock down the camp for the night, when suddenly you see some purple substance right outside the parameter.

On further inspection, and to your horror, it turns out to be Creep, rapidly growing out of the ground and consuming everything in it's path.

You alert your comrads on the situation, and they all agree the best thing to do is radio for an evac. After trying for what seemed an eternity, someone picks up the distress call. A lonely Dropship 150 miles due east of your position.

She informs you that her fuel cell is almost empty, and she might not be able to make the trip, back and forth.. after some "persuading" she turns the dropship around and heads for the encampment.

Knowing the evac won't be here for atleast 30 minutes, you and your fellow Marines prepare for the on-slaught.

Features:
::Get the upperhand on the enemy using 2 fortified Bunkers to your advantage
::All the ammo and equipment you'll ever need will be stored in a Supply Depot
::Missile Turret that has been modified with ground to ground capabilities
::Yet-to-be-announced secret unit in which you can control
::1 pop-up bunker as your last defense
::Dropship that will fly in and get your assess outa there
::The Zergs have to come from somewhere.. a Nydus Canal is the only answer
::How can you have a Nydus Canal without Creep? (working on a way to actually make it grow)
::Stereo "That doesn't have anything to do with StarCraft!" -- Actually it does.. keep on reading
::Many of the original StarCraft sounds will be used through-out the map
::Distributed with the map, will be StarCraft Marine player models (hopefully)

Now to the screens:

::::pic of the dropship (the lighting is not final):
http://www.members.home.com/sapublic1/marsara/dropshipscreen01.jpg
http://www.members.home.com/sapublic1/marsara/terran_dropship_container2.jpg
http://www.members.home.com/sapublic1/marsara/terran_dropship_textured_953.jpg
http://www.members.home.com/sapublic1/marsara/terran_dropship_container1.jpg

The dropshop is vital to the map, as it will be you're only way of escaping the zerg swarm. --note, i have added the marine transport

::::This is, of course Creep (it took me around 2-3 hours to fully implement it):
http://www.members.home.com/sapublic1/marsara/creepscreen01.jpg
http://www.members.home.com/sapublic1/marsara/creepscreen02.jpg

The only zerg structure that can live without creep is the Extractor.. which will not be featured in this map :) (the Nydus Canal will though).

And for those of you that haven't seen the older structures:

Terran Bunker:
http://www.members.home.com/sapublic1/marsara/bunker_03.gif

Supply Depot:
http://www.members.home.com/sapublic1/marsara/supplydepot_02.jpg

Missile Turret:
http://www.members.home.com/sapublic1/marsara/missileturrent_01.jpg

Even though I have every single element/gameplay/structural part of the level planned out, I still crave comments, suggestions and monkey feces thrown in my general direction.

~Krac

HaStE
17-08-2001, 06:17 PM
Cool a StarCraft map.

It look exelente :)

KracKiwi
17-08-2001, 06:25 PM
oh and just to let you know, the map those units/structures/things are in, is just a test map. :)

The actual map will look 10000000000000000% better.

now that all of the units are done, ill begin work on the rest of the project.. also, if any of you can find some reference pics of the Nydus Canal (as in close-up shots, or even a 3d rendering) you'll get your name in the credits. :)

~Krac

HaStE
17-08-2001, 06:28 PM
Im playing starcraft SP on the exp. pack I can get d ingame pic and I can look for a 3d render :)

KracKiwi
17-08-2001, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by HaStE
Im playing starcraft SP on the exp. pack I can get d ingame pic and I can look for a 3d render :)

sweet, thanks man

~Krac

HaStE
17-08-2001, 07:01 PM
It's d ingame pic of a nydus canal. Trying to find blizzards 3d render. (If I remember right there is a briefing (spelling?) pic of a nydus canal)

CkDead
17-08-2001, 07:05 PM
Wow Krac. Looks impressive. I cant wait to play it!:D

KracKiwi
17-08-2001, 09:31 PM
thanks guys, ill get to work!

~Krac

Seraphim
17-08-2001, 09:46 PM
Loks real nice, Kiwi. I hope it gets done soon!

Arbron
18-08-2001, 12:11 AM
Looks cool.

DeathBog
18-08-2001, 01:56 AM
Your prefab skills are off the charts sir. What happened to sc_dday?

KracKiwi
18-08-2001, 02:08 AM
DB: I dunno.. heh.. it's like, i work on one project for a long time, than suddenly another great idea 'ill pop into my head, and i than the older project looks dull and stale..

I will eventually complete dday though. :)

you can see how my Nydus Canal is coming along at the link below (it's quite a large picture):

http://www.members.home.com/sapublic1/marsara/nydus_canal_preview_01.gif

I think I'll finish it up, and texture it tomorrow (3am here in NY).

'night guys

~Krac

chalupamonk
18-08-2001, 08:56 AM
Hey kiwi, I was wondering if you'd like a custom sky for the map. It (the map) looks pretty cool and I'd love to help. Contact me chalupamonk@aol.com (here) if you're interested.

Arbron
18-08-2001, 11:04 AM
The nydus canal is going to be cool too.

ReGeNeRaToR
19-08-2001, 02:33 AM
Thats some nice creep!, jeez everything looks great!:D just a bit of constructive critisism, from that view, the bunker looks a bit tall, like it looks a bit to high off the ground, NEways it all looks great! keep up the great work! i did see that bunker sumwhere else though ....

CryoKeen
19-08-2001, 02:48 AM
KracKiwi: How the hell are you going to convince people to down load a 25-50meg WAV file? (i am talking about the song you propose to have in your map) as playing mp3's is impossible, even in 2.0 i believe there is no way to trigger, mp3s.

BlackPanther
19-08-2001, 02:54 AM
wow.

Looking GREAT krac!

LOVE the missile turret!

chalupamonk
19-08-2001, 09:06 AM
Hey, I have an idea. They ought to make a feature in some unzipping utils that decompresses mp3s into wav files. Good idea, me-say.

KracKiwi
19-08-2001, 01:33 PM
ReGeNeRaToR: http://prefabs.gamedesign.net/author.php3?author_id=817

Keen: When i first extracted the song, it was an mp3. I have a program that converts mp3's to wav files, and when i used it, the mp3 was uncompressed into a 50 meg wav file. After screwing around with differect compressions, i got the wav file down to 4.5 megs.

My guess is the final download will be about 10 megs (map+custom textures+music track+starcraft sounds+custom models).

chalupamonk: This is exactly what i have :D (and about the skybox.. once i get the actual map on it's way, ill send ya a line! thanks!).

Oh, the Nydus Canal is finished btw.. it turned out to only be 250 wpolys.. BUT, if i cover up the inside (you wouldn't be able to go in it) i could get it down to 100-150 wpolys... it's up to you guys:

http://www.members.home.com/sapublic1/marsara/nydus_canal_preview_02.jpg

(working on better textures atm)

~Krac

CryoKeen
19-08-2001, 02:42 PM
Thats a great compression! But are you sure it will work in game? With my experience if its not at 11,025mgh(standard half-life sound format bit thingy) it usually doesnt work in-game.

DeathBog
19-08-2001, 03:00 PM
KracKiwi, Vetex Manipulator Extroardinaire! Wow, taht Nydus canal is so artistically done! The creep is a great effect, and you can't beat the theme of the map. KracKiwi 0wnz m3!

KracKiwi
19-08-2001, 03:21 PM
Keen: I've already tested it in-game, and it sounds great (I arranged it so the song plays once at the start of the map, and you can go over and activate the stereo anytime you want to hear it again).

Death Bog: Thanks man :D Once the structural ground layout is complete, i'll (most likely) be able to make the creep expand.. thus making it almost seem like the map is progressively changing. --gonna be sweet.

~Krac

CryoKeen
19-08-2001, 03:54 PM
Wow! Krackiwi, I envy you! Erm.. what did you use? Goldwave?

Sierra Hotel
19-08-2001, 07:04 PM
sc_marsara = ownage :eek:
krackiwi = god :o

i cant wait to be able to beta test this one!

KracKiwi
20-08-2001, 12:09 AM
Keen: something called "dBpowerAMP Music Converter." you prob could find it at http://www.download.com

Sierra Hotel: thanks man, guys like you are what keep me goin. :)

ive done around 3-4 hours of work now on the cliffs and such, you can see a pic right here:

http://marsara.planetkrackiwi.com/

if you want, bookmark that link, as ill keep posting more images up every time i add a significant amount to mah m@p.

later fellas, and thanks for the comments!

~Krac

Undeadenemy
20-08-2001, 08:17 PM
Really impressive map there d00d. Really good. One thing I can recomend though, that you go into modeling, your look like you would be really good at it. Besides, that nidus canal would lower R_speeds as a monster_generic and u could make it gibbable.

KracKiwi
21-08-2001, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Undeadenemy
Really impressive map there d00d. Really good. One thing I can recomend though, that you go into modeling, your look like you would be really good at it. Besides, that nidus canal would lower R_speeds as a monster_generic and u could make it gibbable.

thanks man, i was thinking the same thing.. only prob is, i tryed to learn how to model a couple times this summer.. and i just couldn't understand it. :(

i dunno, if i get the hang of it, and find a good modeling program.. hell.. all i'd need to learn is coding, and i could be a one-man-mod-maker! ;)

can you suggest any links to good tutorials, or the best modeling program? It would help me greatly, cause im pretty much lost at the moment..

~Krac

Nomble
21-08-2001, 09:56 AM
wow, you own!! I nevr seen such work, its the best, its great, it will lag.. i mean, it will own... Good work"

KracKiwi
21-08-2001, 01:39 PM
lol, thanks nomble. Each building only subtracts maybe 1-3 fps each, and the rock formations, trees, and boulders will be nice and low poly too.

I have no problem so far running the map on my machine, here's my specs:

590mhz Intel Pentium III
386MB RAM
Radeon 32 DDR (video card)
Creative SB Live! (sound card)
ZyXel 256k DSL modem (this hasn't been used, yet :))

Except for the ram, I basically have an average computer.

I put up some more pics and the current map info here (http://www.marsara.planetkrackiwi.com).

/me gets back to work

~Krac

Undeadenemy
21-08-2001, 03:34 PM
ITs not the connection that stops the lag, its the video card. I have a friend with a Geforce2 and his framerate is extreamly smooth, like the demo recordings you see at EB or other electronics store. That P3 doesn't hurt either :) However, you should test the map out on a lower end comp if you have one aviable so you can see how it might react to someone who hasn't done his homework and updated his comp...like me :rolleyes:

KracKiwi
21-08-2001, 06:41 PM
Connection speed effects latencey (lag), and your video card effects FPS.

(hypothetically) My friend who has a 9600 baud modem bought a geforce 3... but 200 fps with 1700 ping isn't something i'd call playable.

I've been planning to test it on my friends ancient computer when the map is finished.. just to make sure it runs for you pII users. :)

Anyway.. could you point me to some good modeling resource and/or tutorial sites?

~Krac

Undeadenemy
21-08-2001, 06:49 PM
Ya I forgot to do that last post :) Anyways here you go
HERE (http://www.titaniumfrag.freeserve.co.uk/)

Arbron
21-08-2001, 06:55 PM
That will be cool.

cooleyo
21-08-2001, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by KracKiwi
Connection speed effects latencey (lag), and your video card effects FPS.

(hypothetically) My friend who has a 9600 baud modem bought a geforce 3... but 200 fps with 1700 ping isn't something i'd call playable.

I've been planning to test it on my friends ancient computer when the map is finished.. just to make sure it runs for you pII users. :)

Anyway.. could you point me to some good modeling resource and/or tutorial sites?

~Krac

ALWAYS KEEP IN MIND the limitations of the HL engine. Run with r_speeds 1 , and don't let any Wpoly go up 600. We may all thanks you if you do. BTW, most maps play nice apart from hezus' (heh!) maps on my PC, which is

a intel celeron 333 with 160 ram (128+32) and a Vodoo2. YEs. A vodoo2. This wont boost everything up as with a geforece, so watchout for everyone. Thanks for taking care of your customers :)

Good luck with marsara!!

KracKiwi
21-08-2001, 09:44 PM
yes, yes, cooleyo, i know the half-life engine as well as the next guy. :)

btw, i just wanted to mention, that once sc_marsara is out, im gonna release a "Sven Co-op: StarCraft Map Developer's Kit." It will include all the buildings used in marsara, pre-made tiling creep pieces, some useful sc sounds, and any new models i might include..

*waits for 3d studio max demo to finish downloading*

by tomorrow, i'll hopefully know how to model :)

~Krac

DeathBog
21-08-2001, 09:58 PM
I may be incorrect, but isn't Mar Sara the Ash planet? If so, I have some excellent grey-black rock textures that you could use if you were so inclined.

KracKiwi
22-08-2001, 12:57 AM
I'm not sure.. haven't played StarCraft since the beginning of 99. :)

..and thanks for the offer man, ill check up on marsara and get back to you!

btw.. the 3ds max demo was a hoax (turned out to be a zip full of around 8 trojans.. i didn't run anything thankfully).. i'm gonna try and learn milkshape tomorrow. :x 'night.

~Krac

Malek
22-08-2001, 02:44 AM
Kiwi, I specialize in making looping samples from WAV files and I can probably make the StarCraft Terran song into a 1.5 MB to 750 KB file if I can find a looping section... I've made several already, basic bee will vouch for that as well as other people... I do good work. ^_^

If you're interested, pop me an e-mail.

raziel_169@yahoo.com

or my ICQ is 3332630 if you have that... I don't carry any other instant messangers but I'm considering MSN, mainly due to BlackMage and my Girlfriend.

(Correction, I changed 1.5 to 1.5 MB, it sounded like I can make a WAV file into 1.5 kb which is theoretically impossible (it would have to be less than 1/1000th of a second... and let's face it, I'm not THAT fast with the mouse button.))

(Another correction, made the paranthesis doubled ended, as for Mar Sara? I ........ eehhhh... dunno really .... o_o I'll look it up in one of my strat guides and get back to you... Capice?)

Lord Booga
22-08-2001, 05:52 AM
Mar Sara was the first planet... where you start the Terran campaign... the ash planet was called 'Char'.

yea. i spend too much time playing Starcraft.

ragingtofu
22-08-2001, 04:03 PM
This is some of the most amazing stuff I've seen in a Half-Life (or Sven Co-op, heh heh) map. I have a few things to say:

First, I have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE what most of you are talking about, but keep up the incredible work on that stuff!

Second, the way this is going, you could turn it into a full blown mod (although I remember hearing something about a SC mod quite a while ago...).

Third(ly), I really like the idea of the Starcraft developers kit. There could be a whole community of Starcraft maps, and they would all be for Sven Co-op! Let's try to bump Counter-Strike from the top!

Fourth(ish), although I can't really help you on the map, I want to let you know that you have something INCREDBILE going on here. I wish you the best of luck. ^_^

ragingtofu

KracKiwi
22-08-2001, 05:04 PM
Malek: that would be pretty sweet, i'll contact you through icq a little later

Lord Booga: thanks man, you just saved me a lot of time :)

ragingtofu: I was the head mapper of the 3rd StarCraft mod to be shut down by blizzard.. :( in any case, im hoping that the mappers will start churning out interesting StarCraft maps after i release the kit, just like you said.

who knows, if enough StarCraft maps are made, I might even be able to get a server dedicated to them alone! :D

..well, i gotta get back to work. I uped a new in-progress screen of marsara, so check it out! (http://www.marsara.planetkrackiwi.com)

~Krac

Lord Booga
23-08-2001, 01:25 AM
eh? how did i save you a lot of time?

KracKiwi
23-08-2001, 05:15 PM
i would have had to retexture everything. :)

~Krac (http://www.freehost.nu/members/marsara/search404.txt)

Lord Booga
23-08-2001, 09:26 PM
oh ok. my extensive time playing BW isn't completely useless then :)

Zirco
25-08-2001, 05:42 AM
hi krackkiwi, it's harry the monkey from fuck you server. the screenshots are looking sweet and should be a big hit compared to the starcraft map we played :)

PaulJ_85
25-08-2001, 07:13 AM
Hey Krac, that looks fucking awesome. Nice work.

Looks a great improvement over some of the stuff you did at HL Rally. :D

I can't wait to play that, and providing you don't make it all 1 open area and split it up / using cliffs etc it'll run fine, I can't wait to play it because it is looking Great! I must say I couldn't have done better myself :p

Anyway, I can't wait to play the final thing, keep doing it before you get bored and do something else, (I know what thats like :rolleyes: )

Ok, c'ya later man

Paul J aka PJ

KracKiwi
25-08-2001, 02:19 PM
thanks guys, im currently trying to contact another1 about some code he could add to svencoop (that would allow me to do some pretty cool things :D).

A beta (without some of the features) should be out before sc 2.0 is here.

and about the 1 open area thing, the cliff heights vary a lot, so it would be impossible, and very dumb of me if i did that. :)

~Krac

Shadow Eliminator
10-09-2001, 06:49 AM
omg that is frickin amazing :) cant wait till its release :D

chalupamonk
10-09-2001, 08:08 AM
While I played starcraft a WHIIILE ago, I seem to faintly recall that mar sara was the town on the first terran planet. BTW, the terrain of that planet is very badlandish, but at nighttime (or so the mapping tiles make it seem)

blonde fox
10-09-2001, 10:57 AM
THAT LOOKS AMAZING!!! :eek:

when do you think people will start to play in it?

Nomble
10-09-2001, 11:38 AM
I Cant wait until it comes out, oh well i must.. :(

Shadow Eliminator
11-09-2001, 08:02 AM
<--- Might make an alien style map later on. * has been inspired :)*

Corinth36
06-11-2001, 02:36 PM
hey Krac, i just thought of sumthin, what about making custom models for the enemies too? :) i could help with texturing, modelling is not my thing tho...:(

Sushi
08-11-2001, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by DeathBog
I may be incorrect, but isn't Mar Sara the Ash planet? If so, I have some excellent grey-black rock textures that you could use if you were so inclined.

no, its the badlands. I remember.

KracKiwi
08-11-2001, 05:40 PM
Just posting to tell you the pics are back up (my previous host decided to delete all of them :rolleyes: )

work on the map has been very, very slow lately.. i promise that ill get back to work on it during thanksgiving + hopefully have an end-of-christmas-vacation beta release. :)

thanks.. i think, to whoever bumped this thread!

~Krac

10-11-2001, 12:00 AM
Hey Krackiwi I will volenteer to beta test your map before ya release it if you want?

Zealot
10-11-2001, 02:47 AM
Looks great!!!

Custom models for the enemies would make it a lot better!!!

oh, btw, looking at the link who's lauren :D

Diabolic
10-11-2001, 02:11 PM
Keep up the good work Krac hope u will finish soon cant wait :)