PDA

View Full Version : Hungry For Maps (HFM) + Admin Mod

MrOrange
07-04-2002, 07:27 AM
Bah ! Just a note to let you know HFM Server will be back online as soon as i can determin why the f*ck it crashes after 30mins since i installed admin mod...

Here's what its constantly spewing out....

Cant find address: 047935ad (numerous lines like that)

SZ_Getspace: overflow on SVC_RuleInfo (Tonnes of that)
:wtf:

This sucks

Crazy Canadian
07-04-2002, 09:54 AM
Did you use the patch that takes the hornetgun out?

}[]BlackMage[]{
07-04-2002, 10:19 AM
eh, just for the record, to stop yer server from staying down if it's crashed, download "ServerDoc". It'll automatically restart the server as soon as it's closed

MrOrange
07-04-2002, 11:45 AM
Oooh no - where's the patch available from?

BlackMage - Where do i get the ServerDoc from? - and would it work the way i run my server? As i run it from within the game and select the tick box to run as a dedicated server? I have tried using the official HLDS.EXE program (110mb - or something) but on trying to run a server using that method i cannot connect to it from a 2nd machine if i want to play it and when i try to get it to change a level it tells me i cant... so i opted for running it from the sven coop game menu...which makes me think that serverdoc wont restart the server the way im running it?

Thanks for ya help guys as im pulling my grey tufts of hair out over this one...

Crazy Canadian
07-04-2002, 12:12 PM
For the hornetgun http://www.svencoop.com/files/metamod.zip

The hlds program is easy to use. If you want to access your server from another pc add this to the hlds.exe command line: -port 27016

i've never made a dedicated server from in game but I'd imagine it ud be easier to maintain using hlds.exe.

Most of this stuff is covered at http://www.planethalflife.com/commands/

MrOrange
07-04-2002, 12:19 PM
Thanks m8!!!:cool: Will go and fiddle right now !

Thanks again - will no doubt post l8r with more aches and pains...! :rolleyes:

MrOrange
07-04-2002, 12:29 PM
No - still cant find any games running on the other machine when running hlds.exe - here's the command line i`m using to execute the hlds.exe program ..

C:\HLServer\hlds.exe -game svencoop

Output of server attached ...

In the server window i noticed there is no map listed as running... something not right here.. :)

Crazy Canadian
07-04-2002, 12:59 PM
C:\HLServer\hlds.exe -game svencoop -port 27016 -maxplayers (whatever) -map (whatever)

djmrmagic
07-04-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by MrOrange
Where do i get the ServerDoc from?

From here
http://winsoft.net.au/~stephen/serverdoc/

and would it work the way i run my server? As i run it from within the game and select the tick box to run as a dedicated server? I have tried using the official HLDS.EXE program (110mb - or something)

When you click th box that says "Run as dedicated" it actually runs the program hlds.exe that comes as default in your HL install. The HLDS.exe you download is just the dedcated server and a few maps from the normal HL CD, so you can run a server without buying the game.

There should be no probs with running a dedicated server on two diff machines. Are you trying to conect to it across the lan or are you trying to connect to it on the net? If the later, then CC's method will work.

MrOrange
08-04-2002, 04:59 AM
Thanks m8s - ok well i was trying to connect over a lan as i didnt want to strain the cable modem any more than i need to, i`m at work at the mo - doh! But i`ll try that command line when i get in tonight - thanks again !

MrOrange
08-04-2002, 01:00 PM
...ok i`m back at home ! Hurray! Anyway i didnt realise there was a hlds.exe in the c:\sierra\half-life dir, but now i do, i have obviously forgot about using the free one, and now consentrating on the one that comes with HL... so.....

I now have the shortcut reading as ..

C:\sierra\half-life\hlds.exe -game svencoop -port 27016 -maxplayers 4 -map 2bases

....but :rolleyes: .. the server runs as it should except there is still no map listed in the output window and when i type "Status" in the window it tells me i am "not connected" ..uh?

Have tried modifing the command line with various combinations ie no port number specified, different maps, etc... all with the same result - Im sure this is kinda straight forward, only i seem to be walking sideways at the moment

:p

djmrmagic
08-04-2002, 05:02 PM
Umm right first thing, Your WON auth, cool means your contacting WON.

2)I can see why it says your not connected, look in your black console window you see the line that says;
WARNING:UDP_OpenSocket:PORT 27016 Im not 100% on the HL error codes, but im hazarding a good guess its saying that you have something else thas opening UDP port 27016 so HLDS cannot open it. Try using a different number ie 27018 Also make sure that your only running one instance of HL at a time. Thats when i get the error when I get impatient and click off 2 or 3 instances of the same server.

3) im pretty sure that any command lines that will go into the autoexec.cfg you should use with + NOT -

Ie +maxplayers 4 +map grunts2

Make a text file in your svencoop dir called autoexec.cfg and put in it
maxplayers 4
port 27017
map grunts2

just leave your command line as
C:\sierra\half-life\hlds.exe -game svencoop

MrOrange
09-04-2002, 01:59 PM
:D S W E E T ! :D

We have a working server! Without pausing by idiots, no autoaim and admin mod! Woot!!

Thanks For all ya help guys - couldnt have done it without ya!

The only thing i can think of now is the odd spewing of error messages (remains a constant error with altenating results) I dont think its a serious thing, infact i slightly suspect Admin mod 2 as the cause... but then again..anythings possible :P

Either way its not sh*t hitting the fan :p and it all seems to be fine - although i have played all of 8.9secs of the server so ... but it seemed ok :)

Thanks again!!

Attached file is a capture of the error messages...

djmrmagic
09-04-2002, 03:03 PM
The
"Can't find address" message, ignore. Just the SC team left the debug on or something.

The
"SZ_Getspace: Overflow on rule info" message

It occurs when someone quries the server, either in game or in gamespy. The server cant pass enough info out (The server calls each bit of info a rule, ie maxplayers / gravity / map etc etc)

Its being worked on for 2 final.

MrOrange
09-04-2002, 03:55 PM
Ok everything was going well, - thanks for the notes on those error messages - however after about 5-10 mins of the server running it falls over (now bare in mind this is a 98se os and not nt - i have a thought at the back of my mind that makes me think...if i was running NT this wouldnt be happening...) Anyway attached - as allways is the F*ckup... see what you think -- ( if ya dont mind :( )

MrOrange
09-04-2002, 04:34 PM
...in addition - i now have a new problem, :rolleyes: whilst in a game, if the player presses the recharge health or battery the game almost grinds to a halt! Cant say its ever done that before.... it does ping back out of it slugishness about 5seconds later.. if you keep ya finger down on a recharge- despite the incured lag - u get droped as the server looses all contact with the realtime world....and again eventualy pings back into life again.. more meaningless images attached
;)

(GIT)r-man
09-04-2002, 05:40 PM
Too many plug-ins maybe?

:rolleyes:

MrOrange
10-04-2002, 03:23 AM
...plugins? Are these components for Admin Mod? - I havent knowingly added any - just basic install of the Admin mod 2 sw... I have fun mode enabled...could that be it?

djmrmagic
10-04-2002, 03:55 AM
Umm first thing id say is if this is a machine your just running the dedicated server on then trash Win98 and use NT or Windows 2000 or Win XP.

I have heard of your lag problem, it is common on the CS servers. It meant the server wasnt up to the job.
Whats the specs of the server........for your 8 player nothing less than a PII 500 with 256mb ram and a 256k/s UPLOAD connection.

MrOrange
10-04-2002, 08:44 AM
OK Its a P3/550 -256mb ram running 98se - the machine has Ostis Winproxy firewall *latest version - and the connection is a cable modem ie 512/128? stream - it runs with 4 players - however the lagging even ocurs whilst joining from another machine through the lan... this didnt occur at all before, so `im half tempted to rip out admin mod b4 i go nt.... as for XP - Ugh! Stay away from that my friend! It has alot more bugs than generaly known :D Anyway i`m at work at the mo, so when i get in, i`m gonna rip admin mod out and see what that does, will post results then...

Thanks again

Lord Booga
10-04-2002, 09:35 AM
A Celeron 433 w/ 128mb of ram will run an 8 player SC server fine.

MrOrange
10-04-2002, 12:34 PM
mm sorry did i say 256mb memory - i meant 512mb / anyway i found the problem methinks - i disabled "Fun mode" in admin mod and that seems to have fixed the lagging! Weird huh?:confused: Anyway i`m gonna run it this evening and see how often it stops...as i still may descide to install nt after all :P

Can any1 recomend a max players number for a cable connection? ie 512/128 ? Cheers :)

djmrmagic
10-04-2002, 01:17 PM
Can any1 recomend a max players number for a cable connection? ie 512/128 ? Cheers :)

Id start with 4 on 128k see how it runs for a few days. The up it by one and see, then 1 again etc untill you start getting players that lag. When you get your final limit go to metamod.org and download pingbooster and install it.

Its a plugin for metamod that alters the rate and a few other commands dynamicly as more people join.

Crazy Canadian
10-04-2002, 04:38 PM
- the machine has Ostis Winproxy firewall *latest version -
Thanks again

Ugh I've been trying to get a server to work with Winproxy but so far I can't figure it out. i know it's auth'd with WON because, well it says so :D Anyways, the problem basicaly is that I can't find it in the server list ( Im hoping to run a svencoop server, but testing the server with normal HL ) MrOrange, care to enlighten me? :p

MassAsster
10-04-2002, 05:51 PM
I have used a Few diff fire walls and here is the low down.

Authenticated - Yes. you will normaly always authenticate because your action is being sent - rather then a passive action .
basically - A fireWall is Designed to block un-solicited incomming packets . whats that mean ? it means unless you are the sender of the first packet - you shouldnt attract more packets .

How is this relivent to Servers?
Basically - you will normaly always be able to authenticate, this action is sent from you , by you , for you . When Half Lifes main servers Quiery your server again to see if you are hosting, your firewall has already closed the port because it thinks you are done with it.

you still need to tell your firewall to open ports to let your computer use the server freely -

there are diff names for this action - for my DSL router - this is under the Virtual server settings . for some it might be the DMZ zone . however they want to hide it - you need to eather drop your firewall completly while you host , or figure out how to open certain ports.

Crazy Canadian
10-04-2002, 05:55 PM
I turned my firewall off completely. No effect.

So i'll list the stuff my LAN consists of.

The poor mans lan:
StarTech 5 port ethernet hub
Ositis Winproxy 4.0 R1i

Could having a hub instead of a router be the problem?

MassAsster
10-04-2002, 06:16 PM
Well - heres a Q .

Since you have a hub - What connects you to your Cable/DSL/Whatever

Are you Letting one computer Sign on and then sending all your internet stuff to that computer to be forwarded ?
example wingate -

Just relized you are - lil slow today - winproxy generic Wingate proggy

it will be impossible for you to host/play off a system like that - well maybe impossible is the wrong word . more like really flipping hard like playing pick-up-sticks with your butt cheeks

Crazy Canadian
10-04-2002, 06:31 PM
When we ordered our dsl the salesman tricked us into letting them dump a USB modem on us. Looks to me like I'll have to either buy the router or what ud be cheaper is to buy the USB port stuff for my other PC and make it the proxy and server host. Anyways im not looking forward to putting out the money so I'll hold off on putting up a serv. Maybe when I get a job in the summer, then again, I could be spending that cash on somethin that benefits me :D

djmrmagic
11-04-2002, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by MassAsster
You need to eather drop your firewall completly while you host , or figure out how to open certain ports.

Massasster is right. Unfortuantly I have never used Winporxy so unless someone comes on here with knowledge of the product, you better get the manual out.

But I can see no reason why your setup wouldnt work, once you have opened up the ports needed.

MrOrange
11-04-2002, 08:54 AM
Crazy can. - make sure you are using revision "i" - it fixes alot of bugs as far as hlife goes - also you wont see your server in the internet games - you will need to either select add server - bung ya ip and port number in of the machine thats running it ie the proxy? - If that dont work have a look in the lan games section - it should show up in there without twiddling with adding a server ...My setup is simply a proxy, a hub, and a pile of pc's with slices of pizza by them... :D

Cant stress enough that u u/g to ver "i" of winproxy - i could never get it going b4 that revision - also make sure you have the "X" on enabled under the firewall settings under Advanced options...

Sh*t goto go - my boss is looking at my screen :eek:

Crazy Canadian
11-04-2002, 04:18 PM

Sh*t goto go - my boss is looking at my screen :eek:
Hehe, that happens to me at school :D

Ok I have revision I. I didn't know you had to use a custom firewall setting. I noticed the half-life option but didn't think it mattered in the off position. Tell ya if it works :cool:

Crazy Canadian
11-04-2002, 04:46 PM
Well it still doesn't work. Here are the settings at the moment:

Transparent Proxy
Custom Firewall Settings ( HL Enabled, plus 2 other options )

Should I use NAT instead of transparent proxy?

MrOrange
11-04-2002, 06:14 PM
No - transparent proxy should be fine - i`m assuming you have no other dhcp servers and that the winproxy one is running? I havent time at the mo to go into detail with ya m8, i have to get some sleep - will post better ideas 2morow... around 6pm gmt

Proxy should look roughly like this

MrOrange
13-04-2002, 09:03 AM
...if anyone is interested - i removed admin mod - and now everything seems fine! bah! arr well at least it works now - thanks for all your help folks!!

MrOrange
20-04-2002, 06:00 AM
...have you noticed something with Ostis Winproxy? They have removed revision "i" from their site and reposted "h" with no explanation! Sounds like "i" has problems for some peeps...

Crazy Canadian
21-04-2002, 09:54 PM
The thing I hate most about WinProxy is their awful tech support. Their answers to questions are ones that make you wonder if they know anything about the program :rolleyes: But ever since the main Ositis page went down for maintainance the I version was taken down. Odd since I can still be found at CNet.

Ivan Girderboot
23-04-2002, 11:22 PM
Some roters, decent good ones (Hardware types) call it NAT, short for Network Address Translation. Basicly, you tell the router that port UDP 27015 (or whatever you using) should go to your server computer. (via the IP adress or NetBIOS name)

example NAT setup:

PORT - DESTINATION
UDP 27015 - 192.168.0.1

this pretty much applies to hardware routers, as i have yet to see a software one handle NAT correctly...

Crazy Canadian
30-04-2002, 04:06 PM
The stuff in this post works, although it wasn't 100% accurate for Winproxy the UDP stuff worked!!! Anyways I'll be testing a small server. Thanks for the help :cool: