PDA

View Full Version : Members not posting...

Nemesis6
10-04-2002, 02:29 AM
ok, what i'd like too know, is how you can have so many members, yet, only 60 off them all post... i'd say if someone posts, in eksample, let's say a new member posts 7 posts, and leaves, ignores the boards (For reasons unknown? yeah right)
and he stops posting after these 7 posts, if he dosn't post within the next month, his account will be deleted. this should not count for people with over 100 posts, as they are not brain dead newbies :P

well, that's what i was thinking sir!

Hezus
10-04-2002, 03:11 AM
As long the Vbulliting database can handle it many members is no problem at all.. when it may speed up the forums by deleting those unused accounts than we might better do this.

Basic Beecicchi
10-04-2002, 03:59 AM
Neither one of those facts will make it happen.

Think about it. Suppose they flush it, and next thing ya know, someone comes back, finding out that they're not registered. Complaints ensue, and sometimes, personal information is / can be used to other parties.

[Another way to say this is : If the person submitted personal information, how do they know it's safe, if the forum admins delete accounts?]

More i can debate, but it's a safe bet it's not going to happen.

Trust is one of the key factors.

Third Party Consolidation is one of the worst case scenarios.

Slidje
10-04-2002, 04:12 AM
the data protection act says you cant keep anyones personal data for more than a year without their permision .
any account inactive for a year has to be removed or its breaking the law .

we all had to re-register back in august when the forum got nukes so we got a while before this will be an issue .

Basic Beecicchi
10-04-2002, 04:26 AM
I can see third-party hosting sites now seem to follow this act, but how does it fare with Microsoft itself, having Hotmail accounts from pre-MS Hotmail?

[And what are the chances that people even follow this ruling?]

Slidje
10-04-2002, 05:22 AM
the data protection act is a absolute fundamental law .
probably one of our last lines of defense when it comes to internet privacy .
the day microsoft or any other large corporation nulls this law will be the end of our rights on the internet .

Desolation
10-04-2002, 05:39 AM
223 with 0 posts, how about a rule for inactivity, if you have been inactive for about a year you will be notified that your account is about to be deleted.

Malek
10-04-2002, 10:06 AM
I considered this a while back however I'm unsure if that would be plausable or not... however I do guess so.

Thing is, the forums can handle it, so asides having someone who wants the same nickname, I don't seem to see a problem with it...

(Edit) - Okay we removed the accounts that were about 30 to 90 days old, and haven't posted / awaiting confirmation E-mails. Total accounts nuked : around 1000.

Hezus
10-04-2002, 12:28 PM
clean..clean...clean..

Malek with vacum cleaner :" Oh.. look there are some unused account on the floor..."

*wipes it under the table...

Malek : They never find those again.. :).

60 Megabyte File
10-04-2002, 02:29 PM
*sniff* we knew thee well...

NYPD SWAT Robot
10-04-2002, 06:10 PM
Oh, no. We'll have another "1000th Member" person register.

{DoA}DrunkMonkey
10-04-2002, 08:20 PM
anything for a celebration :D

just like to mention thing about internet privacy.
web sites can get over 10 things about u jus by going to their site.
but most is just.
ip, os, resoloution, last 10 visited sites, stuff like that.
but you`d be surprised how much stuff u can get.

plus, WOW you`d never know how many exploits their are in windows.
jus a bit OT their, don`t worry.:)

Samurai_Snark
10-04-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by c00kie Monster
ok, what i'd like too know, is how you can have so many members, yet, only 60 off them all post... i'd say if someone posts, in eksample, let's say a new member posts 7 posts, and leaves, ignores the boards (For reasons unknown? yeah right)
and he stops posting after these 7 posts, if he dosn't post within the next month, his account will be deleted. this should not count for people with over 100 posts, as they are not brain dead newbies :P

well, that's what i was thinking sir!

the reason for my absence was because of my internet provider. we called them plenty of times and they finally called today. they said that my dad's credit card expired! bullshit! my dad had gotten his card in January. but anyways, here i am. active and typing.

Malek
10-04-2002, 09:40 PM
Okay let me clarify.

If the account was over 3 months old AND hasn't posted anything AT ALL. then we deleted their account.

(i.e. 0 posts and greater than 90 days old)

NYPD SWAT Robot
11-04-2002, 08:22 PM
Pretty fair.

MutantMFM
12-04-2002, 10:50 PM
Good job on cleaning up the non posters.