PDA

View Full Version : Storage area 2

SeaRaven
15-04-2002, 01:21 PM
Well, this is my first map, it's called storage area 2. It's a pretty short, easy map, I can beat it myself in only 6-7 deaths, and I'm not that good of an SC player, especially by myself. This map is mainly for my own mapping practice, therefore the story isn't that great :) If I get positive feedback I'll make a sequel or two, I geuss.
Note: I know the outside parts of this map are very dark, that's partly cause I wanted it that way and partly cause my Light_Environment is sorta messed up. Anyway, enjoy!
File removed at authors request get the one a few posts down

SeaRaven
15-04-2002, 01:28 PM
Almost forgot - here's a screenshot from the map.

Crazy Canadian
15-04-2002, 10:09 PM
Fun while it lasted. Anyways the only thing I think should be fixed is the slow downs. Throw 4 people on there Im pretty sure it would be as bad as playin with a 14k modem. I tested it by myself and it got a little annoying. I think the crickets have gotta go :D

SeaRaven
15-04-2002, 11:17 PM
hehe, I know the crickets are sorta irritating (which is why I didn't put them in the second outside area since you spend more time there), but they kinda add some atmosphere. BTW I fixed the outside parts being too dark, and a few other things, it's compiling now so I'll re-attach it once it's done. :) thanks for replying, I was beginning to worry that no one would look at it. :D So should I make it into a series or work on something different?

Edit: I'm a pretty new mapper so could you give me some tips to reduce the slowdown? thanks :)

SeaRaven
16-04-2002, 12:26 AM
OK here is the updated version

Crazy Canadian
16-04-2002, 03:01 PM
Well a series could be good, just make sure you don't make the maps repetative. When I take a look at the new one i'll attempt to give you some tips :p

Shadow Eliminator
17-04-2002, 02:41 PM
Looks nice :)

MrOrange
17-04-2002, 03:29 PM
Played nice m8, have it on HFM server - peeps liked it - more!!

Mad Gonesy
18-04-2002, 01:28 PM
Short but very sweet.

To best of with you, it might not get into a map pack because its pretty short, but its still a damn good map.

SeaRaven
18-04-2002, 04:31 PM
:eek: WOW!! I just got back from a little 2-night vacation with my family, and find my first ever map in best of showcase!!! What a pleasant surprise :) This is the first time I've ever even touched Worldcraft (except for a few tutorial maps) in fact this actually started as a tutorial map, that first outside area was part of a terrain tutorial at 69th vlatitude, then my artistic side took over and I just kept adding things until I got what you see here. Thanks guys! I geuss I'll make the map into a series. I was planning to do that from the start, actually :D

Crazy Canadian
18-04-2002, 04:56 PM
Congrats, I can't wait to see what your next map is like :D

Sierra Hotel
18-04-2002, 05:31 PM
just some advice, use r_speeds 1 in your console and monitor it. your map had e-polys in excess of 30000, which is why it was so sluggish.

SeaRaven
18-04-2002, 07:57 PM
ok I know how to look at R_speeds, but I can't figure out how to get them any lower. I have alot of my textures with 2x scale, and I have most of the objects in the map 1 unit away from the ground. I don't know what else to do . . . can someone help?

SeaRaven
18-04-2002, 08:16 PM
Hmm. . . I can't seem to edit my posts. . . Can some mod please delete the older version cause people still seem to be downloading it instead of the newer one . . .thanks :)

EvilPentaPenguin
18-04-2002, 09:08 PM
Just played it last night and it was awesome. Only thing I didnt like was r_speeds, but ur already know because Sierra Hotel already said it. I'm hoping the rest of the series is as good as this map. I'm sure they will be.

Hezus
20-04-2002, 04:08 PM
As allready said r_speeds are high.. Seen 2 times about 1500-1700 wpoly and it`s quite short. Tho all this, it`s some nice piece of design. But it really needs some work. Can`t give you a rating yet, because I think it`s your first map and it`s not really "done" right ?

So, my advice for this piece. Expand it and try keep the fine design, reduce some r_speeds (be sure to close those sectors !) and this could be a winner !

SeaRaven
20-04-2002, 04:41 PM
Yeah, it's not really done, I'm working on a longer one now :) but I still don't know how to make the R_speeds any better!! no one seems to be telling me :rolleyes:

20-04-2002, 09:36 PM
Do what I do in a map for R_Speeds...

..................... Hope

:p ;) :D

Hezus
21-04-2002, 08:25 AM
There are some tutorials on www.vladitude.com and www.valve-erc.com to reduce r_speeds. Check `m out !

The-Real-Game
25-06-2002, 01:53 PM
This map has been reviewed by me at creepsworld.com :
http://www.creepsworld.com/svencoop/review.asp?ID=67

SeaRaven
25-06-2002, 06:43 PM
thanks for reviewing it :D 60% is actually quite a bit higher than I would have expected considering the length. And don't worry, I'm working on making storage area 2 about 3 times longer, but progress is slow since I'm mainly focusing on a different map :) I also lowered the r_speeds by quite a bit by fixing up the first outside area, when I first made this part I knew very little about the engine so I didn't really know why it was going so slow or how to fix it :)