PDA

View Full Version : host_error message

vipah
01-08-2002, 10:14 PM
I am running a hlds server, and when im on the client (another computer) I keep getting this message (( host_error: DispachUserMsg: Illegal User Msg *** )(***=numbers). Also I am behind a router for my cable modem, although the server is not behind the firewall so that outside sources reconize it as the computer on that modem. I am getting people to join and they get dropped off the server. The server (which I am working on but should be up) is at marf-lan.servehalflife.com (using noip to keep the ip current if it should change.)

vipah
01-08-2002, 10:15 PM
also, some people can stay on the server, while others get dropped... its a lil weird to me

Slidje
02-08-2002, 12:44 AM
whats your operating system and pc spec .
are you running admin mod . have metamod and version are you running . what plugins .

vipah
02-08-2002, 02:38 PM
I am (unfortuneatly) running windows 98, this will be upgraded to windows 2000 with clean install within a few days, but I have had this problem with win 2k also. The pc specs are celleron 400, 256mb pc133 ram, 10 gig 5400rpm primary drive 30 gig 7200 rpm drive (where hl lives). Yes I am running adminmod w/default plugs (because I am formatting soon I am not messing with that yet) and running most current metamod from the files page of www.svencoop.com as of 7/31

vipah
02-08-2002, 02:54 PM
what im pretty much trying to do is get a good server config going so that when I go over to win2k I can just throw the configs on there, make sure its working right, and then make a permanent dedicated server.

Slidje
02-08-2002, 03:17 PM
im sorry but ive never encountered that bug yet .
it could be windows 98 giving the wrong error message .
the only thing i can think of is that bug where : if you join mr magics , cosy or SHELL :D ; you cant join any other servers without exiting half life first .
did you play on any of those servers before joining your own ?
when you connect to it , are you doing it through the network ip or internet one ? (network ip eg : 192.168.0.1:port) .
its the clients that are getting this message right ?
its not the server crashing , cos svencoop servers have a habit of crashing every 15 mins unless tweaked to hell and back . tweaked server go down every half hour accept for mr magics . his job is a network admin for a university though so he`s bound to know how to fix anything .

lets hope he sees this thread or you peg down the problem before then .

some things to know about win2k though . youll need a copy of serverdoc to restart your server when it crashes on any operating system , win2k has dr watson built in . thats a detailed crash reporting program , its error file will easily grow to half a gig in a week of running svencoop . you can find/delete it in
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\DrWatson .

if you understand that then when you get server doc , put it in the sierra folder . to run your server go to start menu , run and paste in this exchanging it with your hl location details .
D:\SIERRA\serverdoc.exe D:\SIERRA\Half-Life\hlds.exe -game svencoop -port 27014 +map osprey -maxplayers 6
this starts your server on osprey with a different port so you can join it from the same pc and specifys max players .
change your max players depending on your maximum upstream . mine is 30 k , so i can handle about 6 players , 8 maximum .
you can set each clients max rates by putting sv_maxrate *number* sv_minrate *number* in your server.cfg .
i hope you know your way around pcs and commands .

always remember when you add things to your server , do it one at a time . that way you know if something makes your server screw up . this goes tripply for maps and scripts .
ive had all sorts of bugs from nextmap crashing the server to maps that will not work with admin mod (sc_alley, jailbreak2) .

get mr magics metamod to remove the hornet gun here (ftp://ftp.waes.ac.uk/halflife/Metamod/metamod(new ents - nohornetgun - 1.12.3).dll)
the hornet gun crashes all svencoop servers with admin mod .

take svencoop1 and stadium3 out of your map rotation .
hope thats enough help .

oh one last thing , dont have spaces in any of your half life directories (sierra/half life) . server doc cant understand them and bugs out (so change it to half-life) .

vipah
02-08-2002, 03:34 PM
the server is windows 98, the client is win2k, the client has no problems with other servers and im hoping that win2k will fix some server problems, because it basically drops most/all ppl. Thanx for the advice tho

vipah
03-08-2002, 12:17 PM
I finally have a chance to format, and move hardware around a bunch. when i get done, I will have a 8 plr server running 2k and a laptop to play on the server with =D... I might run a small ftp (or large) but with small ammt of bandwidth when I go to school for maps and such that are on the server.

chis101
03-08-2002, 10:36 PM
Be sure when you join your server when your on the lan go to LAN and not INTERNET. If you connect to a local server thru the internet you'll get that error message. I don't know about the rest of the clients.

Slidje
04-08-2002, 07:46 AM
my other pcs never had problems connecting to the server on this machine .
but they both use win2k .
windows 2000 has the absolute best connection sharing ability built in already .
if you want some help setting that up let me know .

djmrmagic
04-08-2002, 10:27 AM
I done a search for that error message on the net (google and ask) nothing comes up. I havent seen that msg before sorry.

As the the clients dropping id say its a combination of Celeron 400 and Win98. Upgrade both if you can, if you cant upgrade to 2K or XP

And Slidje is bang on with the other stuff!!!!
:)

vipah
04-08-2002, 04:25 PM
Well I got the server running, it has been stable for me. So go over there and check it out, tell me what you think. the addy for the server is marf-lan.servehalflife.com

Thanx