PDA

View Full Version : Bad News For sc_canyon :(

Undeadenemy
23-09-2001, 05:13 PM
I've run into a problem while working on sc_canyon and I have no idea whats causing it or how to fix it. At a sertain point in the game, HL just crashes for no apparent reason. There are no error messages, nothing of the sort. If sc_canyon is to continue, then I have to fix this problem. There aren't any monsters onscreen at the time either so it shouldn't be an overflow.

If one of you would do me a favor, I would very much appreciate it if Mad Jonesy or Deathbog would look over my .rmf and/or my map in-game to see if they can identify the problem and tell me how to fix it.

DeathBog
23-09-2001, 07:18 PM
Sometimes when a monster spawns a crash occurs. Make sure all the info in your monstermakers are correct, and don't leave any necessary options blank.
Also, make sure all your func entities have valid information. Sometimes env_renders can cause crashes: scrpg2 crashes when a certain func_illusionary entity's render amount is changed from 150 to 0.
every now and then, a game_text can also cause a crash. Make sure the text length is not too long (check valve-erc.com for length) and that there is no place where many different texts are outputted to the ame text channel.
That's all I can think of right now. Have fun!

Sankis
23-09-2001, 07:57 PM
Make sure your not spawning weapons with monstermaker.. or is that weapons with squadmaker?

Undeadenemy
23-09-2001, 08:07 PM
Hey thx for the tip Deathbog! Turns out it was something to do with a game_text entity. sc_canyon move on! I also got some more screenshots for you all. :) One more thing though. I use an trigger_push to force the monsters out of the spawn area, but sometimes the monsters turn around and attempt to run back in the spawn area. This causes the player to see some alien running but not going anywhere, how do I keep them from trying to run back in?

Undeadenemy
23-09-2001, 08:12 PM

Undeadenemy
23-09-2001, 08:14 PM

Undeadenemy
23-09-2001, 08:15 PM

Undeadenemy
23-09-2001, 08:16 PM

Undeadenemy
23-09-2001, 08:22 PM
and finally #8. Agian the pics are more acurate in BMP form so send me an e-mail @ game_guru7@hotmail.com I think the map is far enough along that it's ready for beta-testing. However, I'm not going to give the beta to just anyone to avoid my map being distributed in its current state. I've basically picked everyone I want to beta-test it so everyone else will have to wait. Of course if any of you don't want to beta-test it then just say so.

Deathbog
Friendly Garg
Sankis
Arbron

If you would guys play my map through and send me a readme with at least 5 things you saw wrong or things that should be changed and suggestions on how to fix them or a better way of doing them.

DeathBog
24-09-2001, 03:54 PM
How do you want me to get the map? You can e-mail me a link where you upload it if you want.

Undeadenemy
24-09-2001, 04:00 PM
Ya i intended to e-mail it to you. Doing so now.

Sankis
24-09-2001, 06:40 PM
You can PM me a link if you got one

or email me at Shadorapt2@aol.com

Undeadenemy
24-09-2001, 09:18 PM
I think I should probably upload the screenshots somewhere else... Not too many people are gona look for screenshots in a topic named "Bad News For sc_canyon :("

Sankis
25-09-2001, 04:19 PM
I changed the title to "sc_canyon info" for you

Undeadenemy
25-09-2001, 04:55 PM
k thx :)