Thread: gitfest5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile gitfest5

Carrys on where gitfest4 left off....

There's more to that seemingly innocent skyscraper than meets the eye, it's realy a front for more nefarious goings on with inexplicable hostile forces in unexpected places...

This map is realy a 'time out' from the more serious challenging maps and can easily be completed by one or two players...
    There are no jumping puzzles and no respawning enemies

All of the combat areas are triggered using trigger_randoms with 5 different sets of squadmakers in each area...
    theoretically this means that you could play it one day then when you play it the next day it's slightly different

There may not seem to be alot of monsters in the whole map but that's only because I came close to hitting the entity limit with hundreds of squadmakers...

Anyway, enough technobabble...enjoy

gitfest5

unzip to your HL directory
    Sound Dude

Resident Shocktrooper Solid Salamander's Avatar
    I'm downloading it now.... I hope it's as good as gitfest4!
    How many are there in you? Whose hopes and dreams do you encompass?

W00t! Thanks r-man, I thought you were gonna leave us hanging there at the end of gitfest4f. I've liked you maps so far, so I be I'm gonna like this one!

I'll post what I think when I've played it....if I remember.

Yep, I like this level quite a bit! Good job r-man!

/me can't wait to play this map
    I love your gitfest4 map, I hope this is really good. If it is, I'm keeping this on my server and in the mapcycle . Btw, if you're reading this at the time I posted this, plz come play this map with me at my server, it's listed in the Server hole part of the forums. :P

The map wasn't quite as good as gitfest4, not as much spam as I wanted . I beat this map without dying ONCE and all by myself ... make it harder and make it more coop. (Oh, and no cheats were used) Archtitecture was nice in some areas, while in others it could use a LOT of work. I still think gitfest4 was your best map. I enjoyed that a lot. Hopefully you'll update it to make it better ... and I can guess you're gonna make a gitfest6 map and I'll know exactly where it's gonna start off.

i just played "some" of it on your server, i liked what i played although there wasn't anybody playing with me. Until solid salamander joined, 10 minutes before sfx_t crashed me. i rejoined to find no one in server. And i kept having that aweful cl_flushentitypacket which killed me twice.After that I was running around getting all the guns and the level ran out of time. :P

I really like the spiral staircases. I didn't find out there was shortcuts until the map was almost over. I want to play it again. I will probably edit this post when i play through the whole map, with some people, lone LAN games aren't nearly as much fun.

eDIT: I just played it twice, i think it is very good, it was too hard with one player but w/ 2 or more it was great. I like the monster names they aren't boring.This map is alot of fun.
    Last edited by SharkMan; 02-03-2003 at 10:37 PM.

Oh, sorry Sharkman. I had to go somewhere after you left. Anyway, the map was a little too easy and if I used the health and HEV chargers more often I might have made it without dying. Anyway, I hope you can update it to make it harder. By the way, with those female assassins towards the start with "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" names, isn't the name Xander and not Zander?

i tried joining your server to test out the map r-man but it came up with the map differ message could you please post a link to the version that is on you server?

thnx..

for now i will just have to lan with the version i have...

Sorry, my bad

I zipped the file without changing the bsp name from blah to gitfest5

if you allready downloaded it just change it's name...

fixed now
    Sound Dude

Just played it through. Seemed pretty good to me, I liked the general layout and flow of the level. Nothing seemed to annoy me, though I must say that it was a bit easy. I certainly didn't finish without losing any lives, though on a server with about three or so other people I'd say I probably wouldn't lose any lives then. Because of that combat was a little less than invigorating, and I'd say that's where it falls behind of gitfest4. I shan't move it to Best of Showcase, though knowing my habit's it'll probably be there by the end of month anyway

Very nice i had great fun playing thru it and didnt find it too easy ... great job.

p.s thanx for the help while playing

Question cfg?

Good, as expected, for as far as I got. Question though. Why is there a .cfg file for gitfest4 included? Got my favorite weapon a short way into map, magnum. Need to finish before saying more. The mag was as far as I got before I had to head off to work.

cfg for gitfest4?

doh!

too many late nights crashing out at 3 in the morning on the sofa after mapping all day & all evening...
    it uses the same cfg settings as gitfest4 so I copied the cfg but probably forgot to rename it...I'll fix it, but in the meantime just rename the cfg to gitfest5.cfg

thx

edit: oh I see...you mean if you read the gitfest5.cfg it says "cfg file for gitfest4"

don't worry about it, it still works
    Sound Dude

cfg.

It was named gitfest5 but didn't seem to work so renamed "blah" same as .bsp and works fine. Finished it and I must say I didn't think it was extremely easy. It's a nice map for sticking in between maps in cycle. Not too long, looked nice, played good, didn't get the sfx_t the other person said he/she? got, ran smooth, could of had a baby garg in there or a few more characters, although I guess it might with random respawn which is cool.Went in 3 times and had 3 different characters meeting me at start. I liked it and will definitly keep in my collection, a little over 100 now. LOL.

you need to change the names of both from blah to gitfest5...
    or redownload it for the tweaked entities

I screwed up when I originally uploaded it so deleted the original and reuploaded a better version
    Sound Dude

Oh, lookin' great!

Got it

Thanks, didn't know if I could change name of bsp. Got it though, thanks again! Gets better each time I play it. LOL.

Re: cfg.

Originally posted by goanna
    could of had a baby garg in there or a few more characters, although I guess it might with random respawn which is cool.Went in 3 times and had 3 different characters
    Are you sure you played it 3 times? i played it once and there was a baby garg.....

That's why I said I guess there might be in my second post. Characters change each time so there could be, I just didn't see one yet but I might. I just spoke a bit prematurely. The degree of difficulty will change also which might be why some thought it too easy. LOL.

Well, I thought the map was kinda to long, to undetailed and to square.
    Most area's were badly lit, without texture light and with 100% dark area's wich I really hate.
    Then the theme's didnt really mix, the combinaion of office, labs, urban subway and cargostorage didnt really mix in my oppinion.
    I though the maps texturing was bad, lots of textures are repeated to many times and on to many faces at once.
    Some area's were way to large and the variating in hights was way overscale, I havent walked down such a long spiral staircase in any half-life map (you might want to work off the edges of the spiralstaircase inside the big cargo room).
    And I thought the monster placement wasnt really interesting.
    Aside from all that, there wernt any cooparative "puzzles" and there wasnt a real story.

Summery:
    To long, to undetailed and to uninteresting made me sleepy.

PS,
    in the toilet first toilet, you might want to create a sperate texture instead of overscaling/streching a texture. Because when you place a decal on it (bullet hole) it will come out all ugly.
    Greets Corona
    Maps: http://vin500.cjb.net
    Click here to read my C&C on some Svencoop maps
    PM me if you want me to comment your map.

Well your opinion is duely noted and discarded

Most rooms and buildings in my experience are square or rectangular...I've yet to see a circular skyscraper or oval office and if I ever did I'd most likely think it looks stupid and is a pointless waste of space...

I don't like texture lighting so I therefore don't use it in my maps (each to their own) and I happen to like shadows & dark corners for their realism...

I find maps that stick to one theme throughout very tedious to play...

I like a texture I use it...don't know many rooms in real life that use multiple types of bricks in their building process (unless the builders are hairdressers or interior designers )

Hey, you don't like the way I scale things feel free to make a map of your own the size you want...

The monster placement changes each time you play it...every combat area is triggered with a trigger_random with all 5 fields filled in so there are a possibility of 5 different monster-types placed in 5 different setups...

I don't personally like maps that require more than one player to complete...to my mind the perfect co-op map is a single-player map that becomes easier to complete the more people there are playing it together...

P.S. There are no monsters in the toilet so therefore no reason to fire a gun in there...you're nitpicking
    Sound Dude

Question What?

What the heck was all that about from Corona? No spiral staircases in other maps guess he hasn't played "earthbase1". Since I test beta maps, on my own I might add, it's nice to see someone understands the best way to design maps, singleplayer capable. If a person should lose their internet access they could still play maps on their computers. I hate maps that start right out with 2 switches.
    I like the spiral staircase. It holds a person's trane of thought concentrating on making the constant turn and WOAH, assassins. Catches you by surprise, another important element in a good map. This map ran very smooth, due I think to NOT overloading with characters and keeping r_speeds down. I understand what you mean by using trigger_random; the characters are still counted in the map they're just in at the same time unlike some other lag-fest maps with too many all in at the same time. I like the job you did with this one as with past maps, refreshing originallity. LOL

Originally posted by (GIT)r-man
    Well your opinion is duely noted and discarded
    Well, first of all this isnt really a good way to expand your knowlage about making things. Lot of people make this error, if someone dosnt like there work they tell em to sod off, while its the people that dont like your work are the once that can make you improve it.

Most rooms and buildings in my experience are square or rectangular...I've yet to see a circular skyscraper or oval office and if I ever did I'd most likely think it looks stupid and is a pointless waste of space...
    I can bet, that these rooms also contained alot of "stuff" they werent just big hollow emtpy rooms. If you want to have 100% realism you should add all these stuff in the rooms, but this isnt the way the half-life engine works, you cant just add thousands of items, and thats why you have to make things interesting another way, like NON-FLAT walls.
    Sure I've told alot of times you have to aim for realism in general, but were still talking about half-life.

I don't like texture lighting so I therefore don't use it in my maps (each to their own) and I happen to like shadows & dark corners for their realism...
    Dark corners arent really realistic mate, light bounces trough hallways.
    For instance, hold your hand into the light, you can still see the back of your hand eventhough there isnt a direct lightsource towards it.
    Now if I were to follow your laws of lightning, the back of my hand whould be picht black.
    And aside from that, 100% darkness just dosnt work in half-life (exept for ventilation shafts), its way to iritating since you actually have to find the monsters.

I find maps that stick to one theme throughout very tedious to play...
    I wasnt unhappy with the diffrent themes, its how you combined them, the switches were way to ... to... weird in my oppinion.

I like a texture I use it...don't know many rooms in real life that use multiple types of bricks in their building process
    Again this is half-life, you have to go up to a sertain point of realism. Placing the same 100 textures right aside eachother isnt really good looking, the least you could do is create some seperate brushes with other textures to break up the repetive looks.

Hey, you don't like the way I scale things feel free to make a map of your own the size you want...
    This isnt a very good comment to, what if some painter made a painting and someone sais he dosnt like it, he cant say: "well just make a bloody painting yourself".
    Your the mapper here, and I'm the public, I play your maps and say if I dislike them or not, its not that I play your maps and see wich parts I hate so I know for sure what not to put in.

The monster placement changes each time you play it...
    Ohhhh, didnt read this one.

I don't personally like maps that require more than one player to complete...to my mind the perfect co-op map is a single-player map that becomes easier to complete the more people there are playing it together...
    /me moves this to the suggestions forum.

P.S. There are no monsters in the toilet so therefore no reason to fire a gun in there...you're nitpicking
    Its not that, its just that it looks ugly, and you could've just created another texture and paste it on that instead of some streched out texture.
    Greets Corona

Goanna, forgot about yer post sorry.
    My problem wosnt the spiral staircases in general.
    But my problem in this map is that one is way to long and the other has 90 degrees edges.

http://members1.chello.nl/~h.krempel...a/gitfest5.jpg
    On the first picture you see what I'm talking about, those edges made the round feeling of the spiral staircase go away.

Then for the second picture, I really think you have a weird taste for enjoyment of you like going down a spiralcase 4 floors down, seeing the same bit of texture.
    It really bored me, made me lose my interest.
    Last edited by Corona; 27-02-2003 at 11:20 AM.
    Greets Corona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast