Thread: gitfest5

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ...and with those encouraging words I'm sure the SC community will now be swamped with a deluge of new maps to play...

Sound Dude

Agree, some.

Some of what you pointed out I agree with;
    It really bored me, made me lose my interest.
    After a few times, sure. The bit about picture;
    those edges made the round feeling of the spiral staircase go away.
    I, not being a mapper, really don't notice such intricate details and, correct me if I'm wrong, most people playing these maps aren't either. Maybe I didn't mind this 4 story staircase as much because the one in "earthbase1" is much wider, longer, and harder to maintain control in. This one I could at least zip down fairly fast, and going quickly I don't notice such intricate detail. As for the shadowing I didn't notice false shadows or incorrect ones. I will pay a little closer attention next time I play it though, not that I really care about that either. This is still, in my opinion, a good little map. Not every map put out there is intended to be "map showcase" material, some are just for fun. LOL.

Its the details that make the map one whole picture, you may not "care" about it when just playing but little pit picking things make the "whole picture" better.
    Who cares about one corner in a room? Not me, but when you apply this technique for instance: http://www.snarkpit.com/tutorials.php?usertut=1&tut=131 , it surely makes it feel more interesting, but no-one is going to look at it and say: OMG TEH TURN IS CURVED OMG 1337 though the "whole map" feels alot better.
    Greets Corona
    Maps: http://vin500.cjb.net
    Click here to read my C&C on some Svencoop maps
    PM me if you want me to comment your map.

Oh Corona!

My dear boy, me thinks you need to get a life!
    Now granted, sometimes your comments are actually good and you contribute to the improvement of a map, but your critique of the spiral staircases in Gitfest5 are just nitpicky and silly. I looked at the picture you made and read your comments on it and they make no sense.
    The first staircase gets its spiral feel because of the curve of the railing/wall and the round pillar in the center. The bottom part of the railing/wall is the edge of the "rectangular steps" which of course have 90 degree edges. Has no effect on the feel of the spiral when you are going down the stairs.
    The second staircase is continuous for 4 levels; there are no breaks, no landings and no exits, so why would the texture change? That would be unrealistic and inconsistent. And where exactly would you begin this change in texture...1/4 of the way down..1/2 way down....5 steps down..10...12? And the purpose of the staircase is to have us stop partway down and admire the crazy quilt of textures, or give us a route to more enemies to frag?
    If you got bored and lost interest just running down the stairs, then you werent there to play, you were only there to criticize.

And no, I am not a noob, I just rarely find a reason to post.

Re: Oh Corona!

Originally posted by SureShot
    My dear boy, me thinks you need to get a life!
    God, this is like the 10th time I've heard this, whats the link with "not liking a map and telling what you dislike" and "not having a life"?

but your critique of the spiral staircases in Gitfest5 are just nitpicky and silly.
    Thats what you think, I dont think so.

they make no sense.
    So your saying you like having to run down 4 floors down in a spiralstaircase?

Has no effect on the feel of the spiral when you are going down the stairs.
    Well I think they do, this whole spiralstaircase is made round but then at the bottom this round feeling gets destroyed by the 90degree steps.
    It isnt much trouble to change it, its just something that will make it look nicer, why have so much trouble about it.

The second staircase is continuous for 4 levels; there are no breaks, no landings and no exits, so why would the texture change? That would be unrealistic and inconsistent. And where exactly would you begin this change in texture...1/4 of the way down..1/2 way down....5 steps down..10...12? And the purpose of the staircase is to have us stop partway down and admire the crazy quilt of textures, or give us a route to more enemies to frag?
    Jeez, do guys actually play/look other maps? Having the same shape and the same textures for 4 floors down isnt really exiting, there are loads of ways you can make it more interesting, adding pillars, and yes add other textures like a bar inside the wall holding the construction up.
    But noo, this is just 4 levels down the same looks, not only is it boring to look at but its also iritating for my arm.
    And I really cant believe that any of you could actually enjoy it, what did you enjoy about it if your so disagreeing with me?

If you got bored and lost interest just running down the stairs, then you werent there to play, you were only there to criticize.
    Well I have to do something, I play the maps and see if I like em, I always start without godmode. I lost my interest at the first room, and the fun ended for me at the second, I turned godmode one and ran the whole level trough.

And no, I am not a noob, I just rarely find a reason to post.
    So you've been here since 19-08-2001 checking the forums every day and then suddenly you feel like posting here?
    Can you tell me why you direcly reply to this post in general after all these years?
    Last edited by Corona; 28-02-2003 at 03:17 AM.
    Greets Corona
    Maps: http://vin500.cjb.net
    Click here to read my C&C on some Svencoop maps
    PM me if you want me to comment your map.

For crying out loud Corona, let it go...this is Map Showcase not maps in progress
    ...feedback is fair enough but you're starting to clutter up my release thread with your arguments.
    You don't like it...that's allright, I can live with that.
    You've tried to help by pointing out what you didn't like about it, well good for you, you've done your bit...
    Please leave it at that and don't turn my thread into a war zone.

...and SureShot, I feel deeply honoured that after so long not posting you chose to speak in my defence...thank you
    Sound Dude

Guilt is obsolete Irregular Hunter's Avatar
    Look, I think the Gitfest maps are a great idea! It's full of fragging enemys and jumping around! If you don't like it then put it in your recycling bin! Hey (GIT)R-man nice work, this map has been played on many servers but still I have to play it on yours!
    "Remember, the only common factor in all of your dissatisfying relationships is you." - Despair.com

To this argument: Corona your points were noted and I'm sure mappers are silently thankful for the indepth feedback, but I think you should drop the discussion now.

Sureshot you even annoyed me with that get a life thing. You're arguing on a goddamn virtual message board for christ sake, I don't think any of us can say "get a life" to eachover.

Back to the map: Gitrman, you sure have came along way from Gitfest 1 I only played this map for 15 mins with Gameh, sorry But from what I seen it's a considerable improvement over Gitfest 4 aswell as an atom-splitting-scale improvement over Gitfest 1. Loved the spiral architecture, that's a first for you and it worked well. The gameplay is typical Gitty-esque, lots of normal battling in large rooms and corridors with the usual lot, but again that works well due to decent monster placement. Some original ideas here, I liked the way you done the shortcuts.. rather than a teleporter they seem much more realistic. Good job
    Maps Released: BMTCoop, Incoming (with SC2.0F), Incoming '08 (with SC4.0B), Never, Never '09, HLDMCC:Crossfire
    Maps in Development: Incoming 2.
    Media Released: SC4 Trailer

[ HLDMCC:CROSSFIRE RELEASED ]
    [ Visit the SC Map Database ]
    [ Death by Paperclip on YouTube ]

Again

Well, played it again and I liked the shadow placement looked realistic enough. I think (GIT)r-man's gitfest4 was when I first inquired on the use of trigger_random. Works very well and keeps map interesting. The big mammas I encountered at the ending this time caught me by surprise, splatt, yuk! I'm actually getting to like the staircase, now that I pay closer attention to it, hehe. The dark spots are well placed too, good for hiding attackers. I like this map more each time I play it, 3rd time now. Is there going to be a gitfest6?
    By the way, you gotta know you have a good map to attract so much attention, huh? You know what they say; "no such thing as bad publicity". Keep on truckin!

Resident Shocktrooper Solid Salamander's Avatar
    Now that the damage enemies do has been improved, I'm glad to say that this map is great! Some of the best architecture I've ever seen is in this map. There's also plenty of surprises in this map. It seems as if ALMOST every Sven Co-op enemy is in this map. Thanks R-man!
    How many are there in you? Whose hopes and dreams do you encompass?

Too cool.

Love that trigger_random, played it again and got the baby garg this time. Gets better everytime I play it. I was, at first, a little disappointed but as I said it gets better each time I play it. Too cool! "Best of Map" "Best of Map"

(Git)r-man: you are most welcome. Love your maps, much fun to play.

BMT: I'm all broke up about you being annoyed.

Corona: Dont sweat it, its just a figure of speech, like saying "chill out"..dont give it more weight than it deserves. And I have been around a lot longer than Aug. 2001 and have posted before, its just that posts sometimes disappear/get lost/deleted when the page goes down or the forum is changed or moved, k?

geez

I dont see anything wrong with coronas staments, i mean hes one of the few (if at all any more) that actually play the map more than just for gameplay, hes plays it to look at it as a map and how it looks in comparison to other maps. Detail is what maps a map, the map is just a cake with no icing if it were for no detail (the icing). All corona is doing is actaully noticing this and trying to suggest improvments

Fair enough...my maps lack detail

That's because I'm not a mapper...just a sound effects guy who thought he'd try his hand at mapping

On a personal note, I prefer maps that put gameplay before architecture....the exhale series are among my favourite maps just because they're fun to play...
    Compared to real mappers I'm a complete N00b and my standards for maps will never raise me above this status...but nevertheless I'll continue making them untill I'm fed up with Worldcraft and if even a small number of people enjoy playing them then it's been worth it

Currently working on gitfest6 and allready have a rough idea for gitfest7

Party on
    Sound Dude

I aggreee totally, I love maps that are all about fun and its ok if the architecture is not that good, as long as its fun its fine. Thats why i said the gameplay of the map was the "cake" or the bigger part, and to tuch it up is the "icing". If the map is so much fun and has good architecture its gold. But maps like sc_outpost are just AWESOME, i love that map, i play it so much becuase of its gameplay and texture is just fine with me .

Gameplay #1

Point well made (GIT)r-man. I don't give a rats --- how a map looks if it's fun, to a point. I've tried some extravagant looking maps that weren't worth the bother to play. The gitfest maps are fun to play and actually look better than alot of maps I've played. For not being a mapper you do a hellova job, like that spelling? An awful lot of people look forward to your next maps. As for Corona he obviously looks at maps from a serious mapper's point of view and his comments, I'm sure, are well intended. Most of us, myself included, look at them for their playability. Both equally important and equally ignorable, take it or leave it. I am learning what I can about mapping to be able to see both sides more clearly. Corona could try to rephrase his comments so they sound less insulting and more like constuctive critisism if people are to pay more attention to them, you have good, exprerienced ideas it's just your delivery. Looking forward to gitfest 6.
    Last edited by goanna; 04-03-2003 at 06:20 AM.

I dont feel like trying out new games that come on the market due to they are to much on grapical looks other then on gameplay.
    Though, what you need to do, is push the limits of the half-life engine and make it sweet looking with what you have.
    Also, having something look nice is something people can see from the very beginning.
    Example, you download NS and play, and OMFG the game is creat eventhough you havent played it yet but it just looks so nice, its even fun to walk trough the maps all by yourself. But then after a few days of playing, gameplay issues come to the surface.

Agree.

I know what you mean. I have played a few maps that just took my breath away but I didn't like the way they played; Heavy Metal fakk2 for example. NS was one that was both but I don't have it right now, not enough room. It just seems when people, mappers, try to push the limits of the Half-Life engine they usually end up going too far and we end up with a lag-fest, guess that's where experience comes into play, "practice makes perfect". If I decide to take up mapping I'll definitly call on you a few times. LOL.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12