Thread: SWars Installation

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Originally posted by Rugal
    There are plenty of starwars sounds in this map. are you deaf?
    Read!!!!!!!! I said AMBIENT SOUNDS. That's sounds in the enviroment, like computers going Bleep Bleep. Operators saying stuff over the microphone, watch the movie and you'll know what I mean.

The third map has some pretty funky ambient sounds actually. As you go out of the starting room, you sometimes hear tie fighters flying overhead. Shame there weren't any real ones though. Would have been quite cool. Even if they didn't attack and just flew overhead it would be a nice touch. It sorta frightened me the first time I heard it. At least it made me look up nervously.

The maze at the first level has some pretty good storm trooper battles actually. There's places you can maneuver around so you can hit them from two ways if you have a few people in the server. One complaint about the maze though is it seems waaay easier to kill the storm troopers at the second level from the lower level. When you released the preview of the maze, they seemed harder to kill with them actually moveing towards the edge more so they get a shot at you. Now they shot farther away from the edge so their blasters can't hit you but you can hit them.

Also, I think on the third level, the first auto cannon you meet should get more health and a few troopers guarding it to make things more interesting. A friend and I just took a few blasts at it behind the crates and it went down pretty fast.

I agree with TRG's post
    And we found the buttons for the locked doors like totally on the other side of the map.
    Architecture and lighting and textures are awesome, gameplay just sucks (or atleast on map 1 and 2, 2 is better tough)

There are 3 maps god dammit.

installation
    installation1
    installation2

Installation1 is fun and installation2 too.

Installation is kinda poor map.
    "I used to do pretty things with signature spaces. Now I'm out of ideas"

Guilt is obsolete Irregular Hunter's Avatar
    I thought the storm trooper model looked....well cartoony. Mind if I make my own version?
    "Remember, the only common factor in all of your dissatisfying relationships is you." - Despair.com

Originally posted by Felix
    There are 3 maps god dammit.

installation
    installation1
    installation2
    Like we dont know

Everyone is speaking only about 2 maps??? Thats why i said there were 3.

Welcome to hell! Spend your time in hell! I could try to change it but it suits me too well...
    visuals are fantastic but the gameplay just isnt there. most of my time was spent back tracking to the same fucking annoying bad guy that kills me with 3 shots.

the map needs more variety with enemies and some kind of dialogue when your stuck tlling you where to go.
    apart from that this is a really fantastic map

Really nice work, it felt almost like a whole new starwars game. I believe this is ATLEAST BOMS

The stormtroopers are a little too accurate, but there's probably no way to fix that, unless you reduce their damage-inflicted by 10 or so so we wouldn't die in 3 shots. I didn't find the gameplay too bad. Maybe in 3.0 you can change some models to Imperial officers to add variety to the enemies. Ammo was a little scarce when I was fighting, but I did find some ammo around the maps. Just try to conserve your ammo. Health is rare as well, but you need to work with the others on the server to heal. That's what co-op is.
    Hellzkitchen Admin

Manager
    That's amazing! Very nice work!

The shock troopers are a bit tough, but I got used to it. I found the secret hiding place for the medkit, nice touch.

I think a lot of comments from people in this thread are unjustified; they rushed through and things didn't happen as they expected.

In the meantime, I'll be adding in a few more options for the shocktroopers or such in 3.0. E.g. disabling their gibs. In 3.0, you'll be able to change their blood color of course, and the sound replacement tech should help you out quite a bit.

Very nice job, keep up the good work. I hope these maps get onto servers soon.

I agree with Sniper 100%. When I played through these maps with a friend I said to myself "wow just wow". This really is something different and in my opinion, a very good concept. You guys don't like getting shot? then strafe and hide behind boxes, you can kill the stormtroopers just as easily as they can kill you. If you need some ambient star wars sounds, just contact me I have a bunch of them

AIM: Rugal AKS

Agreed

I know what they mean about being tough but, yeah, you can get used to it. I liked it because it makes a person sneek around corners looking everywhere first. As Sniper said, people shouldn't try to rush through this one. You have to be careful because characters have been cleverly placed in sneeky areas. What a rush when you get nailed and before you get a chance see where it came from, your looking down at yourself. I thought the Starwars look was well represented. Since a skl.cfg file was included with each map everyone has some control over the difficulty. Good job.
    Last edited by goanna; 30-06-2003 at 06:36 PM.

well i just played it 3 times today, and i have to say, great job. although the maps were really hard the first time i playd it, i played it by myself for the entire map almost; and the 40 troopers thing was broken. [edit: adminmod probably broke the respawning troopers]

after that i restarted the map, and played wiith evilpentapenguin, and mutantmfm. it was really fun with more than 1 person . there were some parts where i would run all the way through the map and get killed by the same guy over again, but when i played with other ppl i didn't have that problem.

I then played the map again, on a server with firendly fire on; teamplay. the map was still fun even though it turned into a deathmatch at the beginning.

one thing i didn't like was that the sprite/sound replacements you gave would have over wrote the ones i already had, i didn't want that; this is where sound tech would come in handy, for the sounds at least.

edit: just finnished playing it again, one this that annoyed me a littel but i dont get snnoyed easily; i kept forgetting the gun at the beginning, on the second map; i know thats mainly my fault, maybe you could have it so that when ammo is scattered around the map the weapon is somewhere close by as well. or have everyone start with the main gun.
    then i noticed on the last map, there is a room really close to where the ship comes to rescue you, i was thinking that should be the new respawn point. cause when you die it would be nice to be right where you left off, and the room seems like a respawn anyway.
    Last edited by SharkMan; 30-06-2003 at 12:47 AM.

The Masked Mapper ])rStrangelove's Avatar
    Originally posted by Irregular Hunter
    I thought the storm trooper model looked....well cartoony. Mind if I make my own version?
    Ok, why not ? I thought it would be a good idea to keep the trooper model simple because of fps on lower specs systems.

Hey, uhm - i'd be interested to skin an imperial officer model ! Just need the model and someone who can make a shocktrooper replacement out of it.

-----------------------------------------
    @SharkMan: I'm sorry, but when starting with a custom gun in your hand, the game crashes. You have to pick it up. But i'll place it beneath ammo packages.

-----------------------------------------
    =======PLANNED SWARS INSTALLATION FIXES==========
    (all maps) - add some specific ambient sounds here and there (speech etc)
    (all maps) - add more weapons, ammo and health (*cough* RUSHERS! *cough*)
    (all maps) - add more gameplay_text to help ppl that got lost (somehow)
    (0) - make freighter ramp a normal brush, opened
    (0)(CrateMaze) - place Troopers near edges on 2nd level
    (1) - fix stuck area at the end of ladder on bottom of lift shaft
    (1) - fix stuck area between the quick-jump crates
    (1) - insert shortcuts
    (2) - insert more shortcuts
    (2) - make Turbolaser hitpoints 10000 to boost sense of the generator
    (2) - have more Troopers guard Turbolaser

Misc:
    - make blood different color (SC3.0 feature)
    - disable gibs (SC3.0 feature)
    - disable dropped shockroaches (SC3.0 feature)
    - use custom sounds/sprites with troopers (SC3.0 feature)
    - enjoy holiday when everything is finished (hopefully it's still warm by then)

I listen to every comment, whether it's positive or negative, harsh or subtle. Different ppl see a project from different angles, so it's important to hear all of them. However, you can't please everyone. (Good example is the guy who wanted more troopers, whereas others find it too hard.)

Anyway, i just hope that everyone had some fun. That's why i made each of the 3 maps a bit different. Look at the planned fixes and calm down for now.

@Sniper: thx for the latest 3.0 info. I look forward to release a fixed swars version.
    Artist/MapDesign
    SWars Project for SvenCoop!

Click if ye dare!

and Strangelove.

Your map replaced some of my sprites and sounds. Bharg.( but they are kinda cool.(Sprites)

err yes, the replacement zipfile does. Didn't you read my link post / included readme.txt ?
    Artist/MapDesign

Click if ye dare!

No.

I downloaded everything that was on the your post soo i could play it fast.

I didnt noticed what ive done.

im a cop you idiot The-Real-Game's Avatar
    Okey, to all the people who say anyone who posted bad comments must of rushed through the map, what the hell do you base this on?
    I've spent 3 hours playing these maps a couple of times, so I don't think you would call that rushing through the maps.

The first map, when you get into the room with the glass screen, both doors are locked and I can't see anyway of opening and niether could anyone I was playing with. So after nocliping, it seemed that pressing a button much later in the level actually opened the doors which seemed odd.

The general gameplay puzzle wise is decent, but the actual fighting enemies is nothing like the sort of stuff you see in the actual film. I'm not saying you need to have it exactly like the film, but I just think it needs to be more interesting.
    It really does just feel like you've just left the monster placement till last and just put them anywhere.

You got the looks of the map right, just make the fighting more interesting.

The OP is a nub

Whew!

Played the first two maps twice now and frankly they got old quick. Mostly I think due to a couple of things; one, I'm not not a one weapon player, second, I'm not a one character shooter. (I prefer several weapons to blast with and several characters to blast). Didn't play third because it wouldn't load. Just kept getting dropped on my desktop, and that hurts my bumm. I even tried loading from another game and still wouldn't load, go figure! First time I tried to unzip the maps I got " invalid zip file" I redownloaded it and it was fine, beats me! There are some very good possibilites with this series and it's obvious you put some effort into it. The looks are there now if you could refine the gameplay a bit. LOL.

It needs some sort of boss type enemy, like jabba the hutt or something ;P
    Visit my website for the best in Sven Co-op Models : http://www.planetquake.com/aow

R.I.P. AoW 2002-2005

trigger_delay & func_lazy TrEmPlEr's Avatar  
    Artist
    Originally posted by ])rStrangelove

- make blood different color (SC3.0 feature)
    - disable gibs (SC3.0 feature)
    - disable dropped shockroaches (SC3.0 feature)
    - use custom sounds/sprites with troopers (SC3.0 feature)
    - enjoy holiday when everything is finished (hopefully it's still warm by then)

Sprites too ?!
    ! ? Ô.ô

here
    Modstatus: Unknown

I hope so...
    Artist/MapDesign

Click if ye dare!

trigger_delay & func_lazy TrEmPlEr's Avatar  
    Artist
    i too , but i think only sounds , but when sniper added sounds WOA

here
    Modstatus: Unknown

I couldn't download at all. It just leads to next link, next link, next link and then 404. I'm gonna register at that other place.

EDIT:
    It was just my firewall.
    Last edited by Aurora; 01-07-2003 at 01:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroFish View Post
    Hey guys remember when maps/games were made because the creator wanted to make them, and not because of what people wanted to play?

That was great.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast