Thread: why co-op is unpopular

why co-op is unpopular

i wrote this because some people were discussing why co-op is not put into games anymore.

i think the biggest problem with co-op is that many players miss a lot of the game coz when they die they go back to the start and have to run all the way back to the front-line and by then the other players have gotten through a lot of the game seeing a lot of cool scripted story sections because players won't wait till everyone is there. if the game uses Serious Sam's method of just respawning where you die that is just unrealistic and lame and there isn't much point to trying to stay alive. perhaps what wouldn't be too bad is if they devised a way that if you die you respawn with your buddies again but you have to wait a while to respawn but you can watch what is happening while you're dead in spectator view. but then what about players having to run back for supplies and missing story that way. maybe making sure there is always supplies ahead so players don't have to constantly backtrack. Sven Co-op has this problem of players missing lots of the game. it's like watching a film in the cinema where you have to keep getting up to go pee every few minutes. i did play Sven Co-op once with one other guy and we waited for each other when we died and that was fun but the chances of that happening with many players online is very small. anyway i think this is the main argument against co-op games; players running ahead of everyone so the other players miss out on the cool triggered scripted story sections is highly annoying.
    Last edited by ViPr; 12-08-2003 at 12:05 PM.

Contributor
    game makers dont put coop in games because they are lazy, serious sam 1 and 2 had one of the best coop's out there, freelancer has good online coop action and so does sven and they are all very popular with the users

The reason co-op is not popular is because players are not always cooperative, and cannot be forced to cooperate. The primary instinct of players is to shoot anything that moves, and in co-op that means those dumb AI monsters. You can't even shoot an annoying teammate, and like the FAQ says, when friendly fire is on, most Sven games deteriorate into personal vendettas and deathmatch-plus-monster competitions. Nothing can be done about it, people just won't work together unless they want to/ need to.

Most gamers would rather shoot each other in deathmatch.... simpler yet more challenging, more entertaining, more ego gratification, and more humiliation for the losers. Exactly the reasons why I stopped playing CS and started playing Sven. Not everyone appreciates that kind of sentiment.

Besides, those evil corporate game makers know that someone like Sven Viking will come along and make a nice co-op mod........ for free! So why bother making a niche feature when the co-op minority will do it themselves.....

Welcome to hell! Spend your time in hell! I could try to change it but it suits me too well...
    coop isnt unpopular, just overlooked.
    a lot of gamers are from america, so theyre very competitive.

absolute cherry
    I personally feel that the Co-Op mode for the games that support it, are most enjoyable when playing it with friends on a lan, rather than trying to co-operate with people from all over the net. I'd say Co-Op is made for Local Enjoyment, playing co-op over the internet isn't always that reliable, especially on public servers, where anyone can join.

Remember Duke Nukem 3D? Have you played it Co-Op with a friend? Then you know what I'm talking about.

Welcome to hell! Spend your time in hell! I could try to change it but it suits me too well...
    you should try out project eden, system shock 2, serious sam 1 and 2. they have very different but very very good coop play.

Guilt is obsolete Irregular Hunter's Avatar
    Serious sam 1 and 2 should be coop, I mean look how hard it is
    "Remember, the only common factor in all of your dissatisfying relationships is you." - Despair.com

project eden was designed for coop. you are put in charge of 4 characters at the same time. each have their own abilities that you need to eploit to compelte a map. in single player you perss a number to switch between characters or you can pair them together. in multiplay its pretty much the same accept a person is in charge of one of the characters.
    highly reccomend it

FOLLER BEE

yea ive played eden 2 and its really coop

the thing about coop games is u usally get frustrated coz sum1 isnt doing wot u want them 2 do or something like that and thats why coop is beta 4 lans coz u can tell @ sum 1 or punch them if there being gymps

absolute cherry
    Playing a Co-Operative game with un co-operative people, isnt Co-Operation.

Manager
    Whenever I play on the internet, I always see people working together.

Co-op isn't just for lan games.

NOLF2 co-op is a blast

Sound Dude

They are trying to make your proud Sniper

Actually, I've had pretty good co-op experiences on the net. Whenever there are weapons/ammo high up and someone has to jump on top of someone else to get to it, alot of people are quite happy to crouch so someone else can jump on their shoulders, on the basis that the other person will grab the ammo and then come back down and crouch so the other person gets the benefit too.

Also, games are full of text between players advising each other what to do. I have virtually never seen a Sven game where progressing through the map is being prevented due to people not co-operating.

I must say that the shark-tank part of incoming is the worst part of any map ever, because it is bloody hard to turn those valve for 8 seconds or whatever while swimming in water, its hard to stop yourself from sinking and avoid the ickys in the water. 8 people all jumped into the water to try and do the valves or defend the valve-turners from the ickys and still we couldn't turn both of those valves simultaniously and have someone swim through the open gateway. When communicating using text messages its practically impossible to get 3 people to simultaniouosly perform the same action, and when it does happen one of the 3 people gets eaten by an icky anyway.
    I touched Quon's egg.
    (That's a RahXephon joke.)

I had a really cool svencoop game on a lan party. It was simple: We played wired and set a max kill level. After 15 death over all, we changed the map. Cooperative Gameplay: Very High. We waited for respawned friends and healed each other continously. That was a really cool game.
    Suggestion to SC team: Add maxdeaths to the map .cfg file.

PS: SC was not a popular game on this lan.
    PPS: We didn't completed the map: We run out of ammo and had only shotguns against the male assasins...