Thread: Clarification on Retail model conversions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    *****is-not

Clarification on Model conversions

This is just to clear up why you are no longer allowed to post Model Conversions from other Retail Games on Model Showcase.

As a Half-Life mod, Sven Co-op is free to use Models, Sounds and Sprites from other Retail Half-Life products including Gunman Chronicles, CS Retail, DoD Retail and any of the Half-Life expansions. It is also fine for you to play around with these as long as they are for your personal use or for use with Half-Life.

However, the models remain the property of Valve/Gearbox, the same way any models you make are your property, we've just been allowed to use them.

This does not extend to other game makers however, who own their models and do not wish for any Half-Life mods to use their property. This is similar to the issue with Fox that led to all those Aliens/Predator mods being shut down or refused permission to go ahead.

As a website hosting the files, or at least providing links to them through the forums, we could be accused of helping to break copyright. As SC.com becomes more and more mainstream, the chance of one of these game companies noticing the breach of copyright and phoning their lawyers increases. The wider range of games that are converted, the greater the chance we'll get caught.

If we get caught, at the best we would have just had to remove the file, at the worst, we would have to shut down the website and forums in order to avoid a costly lawsuit that none of the team could afford (not as unlikely as it sounds, these people love to make examples).

There are a couple of loopholes in the EULA that we could use to give us the impression that hosting these files was ok, but its been decided that its not worth the risk and we would ultimately be caught out. Therefore, we decided to stop hosting model conversions before we got caught.

Sorry if this led to the loss of any work or waste of time and effort, but the reasons behind this were far more important than stopping you having fun.

MJ

Just a question,
    Models that were created for a game, but that are custom models (thus did not ship with game and are not official) would be fine to convert right? As long as you have permission right?

I think the rule is fine, i have no idea why there was some stupid revolution shit thing, since there werent alot of converts from some other game ot sven, except for those deus ex models (which were only like 3)

If the model wasn't made by a game developer then the issue of permission is purely between you and the modeller.

I have no idea what the revolution part was for either, we don't have anything about conversions except when they leave us open to being sued by angry game developers.

*****is-not
    Models that are not the property of the game maker (so yeah, custom models) are fine to use as long as you get written permission (an e-mail or anything else that can be used as proof). It would be a good idea to PM an Admin before you post the model and show them the permission, so your thread doesn't get deleted on the spot.

In fact, you could convert any model, as long as you got permission from the author (i.e. e-mailed Ion Storm and asked for the permission to convert Deus Ex models) to post it here. This would more than likely get turned down, but you could try.

The rule was just the flash that ignited the gunpowder, lots of negative feelings have been building up for a while. Thats what caused this mess.

Dogg don't piss on me I just invented photoshop ! Panzerfaust's Avatar
    They said it was more about mods powertripping (I still don't see where they got that from.), than the rule, but it was a peice of it.
    Liquid Banjo

I think the rule is fair. We don't want the SC Forum to be shut down just because of a few models...

As for "the revolution," I have no idea why they did it. I'm especially confused on why they hate TRG so much. All he has done is banned people who deserved it, and locked threads because of this new rule.

EDIT: You missed a link to the avp2 shotty in this thread that's in Model Showcase Archive :

http://www.svencoop.com/forums/showt...501#post165501

2nd to last post.
    Last edited by EvilPentaPenguin; 17-08-2003 at 07:49 PM.

Originally posted by EvilPentaPenguin
    I'm especially confused on why they hate TRG so much.
    They'll regret it now, and im wondering what their parents will say when they see a letter saying their internet got discontinued

Guilt is obsolete Irregular Hunter's Avatar
    I just don't really care what goes on anymore as long as everythings okay. As for me I'm going to recreate a few game models as you cannot rip them, as for TRG thing I dunno whats been going on he's alright sometimes. I asked if he can stick my Skinning tutorial and he said its okay.
    "Remember, the only common factor in all of your dissatisfying relationships is you." - Despair.com

You'll also have more fun recreating them, and you can make it better and stuff, other than converting something within 5 minutes ._o

Guilt is obsolete Irregular Hunter's Avatar
    Yeah you got that right
    "Remember, the only common factor in all of your dissatisfying relationships is you." - Despair.com

<shameless plug> like my cyclone... scratch built and all </shameleg plug>
    I don't think the rule is overly too bad. It makes sense, and that's what counts..

Originally posted by Freaking Neo

They'll regret it now, and im wondering what their parents will say when they see a letter saying their internet got discontinued
    Accually Daza400 is still active, he signed up on the TS forum a few days ago.

Maybe im not a modeller or a skinner or anything like that, but I my guess is that developers are watching mods very carefully because of cases like Counter-Strike or Tactical Ops or even DoD.
    Maybe they dont like ppl using models from their games to make the game look cool and then make it popular, and then BANG it goes retail.

Again, its just my conspiracy and me.

Bye Bye 60. We`ll miss ya D:

Desintigrator of Souls
    good thing is when you are a PART of a development team you use for models. No problems there :P
    the truth about scientology

so what if I go out of my way and have a chat with the chaps at Epic and Atari games about converting Unreal 2k3 models? If I post the fact that I have formal permission to make use of their models outside the Unreal engine, can I post them?

it should be fine if you have permission, but dont quote me on that

Re: Clarification on Retail model conversions

So would this be legal:

At Art of war mapping (I need a link!!! they went down!! or moved!!! ) I downloaded a Q3 and leaked Doom3 alpha shotgun conversion models. I'd like to use these in my map -- is that ok?

So would this be legal:

At Art of war mapping (I need a link!!! they went down!! or moved!!! ) I downloaded a Q3 and leaked Doom3 alpha shotgun conversion models. I'd like to use these in my map -- is that ok?

I was... hoping to see some kind of thread like this sooner or later.

So this applies to all forms of models? Players.. weapons... monsters... and props?
    Welcome to the Internet.
    Leave all logic at the door.

yep, any and all other RETAIL (so custom made and freeware models dont count, but you still need the authors permission) models arent allowed to be used, props and all.

however, you can use REMAKES of them, as long as you made them yourself.

and no, quake 3 and leaked doom3 models are illegal, but go on, i dares ya to use em

I DARES YA!

OKBYE!
    Im tired, wired and tipsy! lets boogie to some James Brown!!

Quote Originally Posted by J-2000
    yep, any and all other RETAIL (so custom made and freeware models dont count, but you still need the authors permission) models arent allowed to be used, props and all.

however, you can use REMAKES of them, as long as you made them yourself.

and no, quake 3 and leaked doom3 models are illegal, but go on, i dares ya to use em

I DARES YA!

OKBYE!
    Well, the Q3 shotgun looks exactly like it

so I can see how it would be illeagal *scratches it out of his map*

but the Doom3 shotgun doesn't quite look like the D3 shotgun...I kind of question if it is or not (that is, unless id has some kind of problem with a leaked beta weapon...) Hell. It doesn't look AT ALL like it :\ *gets nervous bout using them -- wishes a mod could just say yes or no so the decesion would be made*

Dogg don't piss on me I just invented photoshop ! Panzerfaust's Avatar

if you use the models you cannot post the map here.
    Liquid Banjo

Banned

Why i cant access to the model showcase archive ?

New Jersey, where crime and corruption roam free.

Primarily bandwidth issues.

60_Megabyte_File
    Sven Co-op Message Board Moderator

Banned

oh ok

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast