View Poll Results: Should the 357 keep its scope?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

42 68.85%
  • No

19 31.15%

Thread: Should the 357 keep its scope?

Should the 357 keep its scope?

Post your yes/no into the poll. If you must have a say about this issue, then you may talk. Don't go all flaming and/or spamming on this thread.

This is an issue that have been appearing recently in threads about the op4 sniper rifle or nomad.

Dogg don't piss on me I just invented photoshop ! Panzerfaust's Avatar
    I think it should, as long as the zoom in sprite remains a red pixel.

It can stay as an alternative to the nomad, and with model replacement, it can be its own sniper. If the nomad behaves very differently.
    Liquid Banjo

I spoke about this one with Sniper.

I think it shouldn't because the zoom makes it into a super sniper weapon, reducing the importance of the crossbow.

I don't care. I have a 10 mile binocular zoom script.

And the red dot is very hard to see in resolutions bigger than 1024 * 768. So the zoom doesn't help that much.

i think it shouldn't, its pretty stupid. i mean.. the only time i use the zoom for the 357 is for when i'm doing rapid fire, and even then it doesn't help much.

Black Mesa: Source Director Kalashnikovo's Avatar
    I should think so, but add a scope to the top of the gun! I could understand a small zoom, but if it goes that far then obviously gordon swiped a telescope from one of the labs....

Its probably a monocular eye impant, or his glasses... the model only has a laser, no scope; the zoom is just some sort of bonus.

Having a scope is ok, but I hate the little red dot. I heard somewhere that it used to be a real laser like the rpg's, but Valve scrapped that coz it would screw up rpg guidance. I saw that that problem also happened to Opfor's Deagle, but it was fixed in a patch. Perhaps it's time to retrograde the 357 back to it's intended laser. Just get the code from OpFor, do whatever they did... Sometimes, when I'm using the rpg, I have one key bound to crosshair 0, so that I can aim at tiny targets far away with the laser. It's really nice, I hope Sven Coop can have that kind of effect for the 357, plus the zoom of course.

I don't think the 357 can ever match a real sniper like the Nomad. If you're trying to shoot a pitdrone 3000 game units away, you'll know how bad it is. Besides, I'm sure the Nomad will be close to a one-shot one-kill affair, and the 357 isn't that. It'll probably fill a niche for mappers who want players to have long distance weapons, but not sniper rifles. Some sort of el cheapo sniper, if you will. It does quite well without the scope too, something which the Nomad may not be able to do. (hint hint: suggestion no crosshair for Nomad when not in zoom mode! Like CS)

Originally posted by Uncle
    I don't think the 357 can ever match a real sniper like the Nomad. If you're trying to shoot a pitdrone 3000 game units away, you'll know how bad it is.
    Personally I've never come across a map that's let me see 3000 game units away, but if I did, I'd say I'd have just as much trouble aiming with the nomad as with the mp5.

Anyway, as nice as the zoom is, the magnum itself is far too powerful already imho, and adding that zoom back in will, as Commando put it aptly, make it into a super sniper weapon. In its present state, I can easily down a single alien slave in one shot to the head; and an alien grunt with two. What more could you want?!

What more do I want? I want one-shot five-kills. Like five alien slaves getting impaled simultaneously by my Nomad. Shoot through, like the gauss. Now that's a real sniper rifle...

Anyway, the 357 as it is right now isn't exactly a decisive weapon. If you asked me, the most decisive weapon in the game is good old nade. I played shattered.bsp once on a server that started us off with five nades each, in addition to the usual Uzi and 357. Guess what, those five nades made all the difference. Players were actually sharing nades so that some of us could do bananabombs. One of the best games I ever had, and prob. the worst day hwgrunt ever had. 357 was never THAT useful, zoom or not. I say we let it be, just fix that accursed little red dot.

Donated 15NS$ for Sven's Holiday at the Bahamas Puchi's Avatar  
    Artist
    the zoom is good on project guility in that map, where you have to kill a lot of snipers and HWGrunts
    Do it with passion, or not at all.
    Do not say everything you know. Know everything you say.
    [ MarySP ][ nacl-h2o ][ The next SC Version ♥♥♥♥ing pwns! ][Puchis Maps ]

If we gonna have a REAL sniper [-> Nomad], we can remove the zoom.

I play SC on max res and I can't see the dot anyways, so I don't use the zoom

What about the older maps that have the 357 but no Nomad? Unless someone is going to update the maps to have the Nomad, a lot of maps will lose the only hitscan sniping weapon they have if the 357's scope is removed.

Red Dot?! I got a nice crosshair here... well, must be my cosshair replacements for halflife

Zoom rocks, I like it.

357 is the best weapon in sven. Its power, its scope, and its coolness in general.

Ive got a laser that I created for the 357. Its a zoom crosshair and it looks great becuase its translucent and not just a little red pixel. in my eyes the 357 is one of the best weapons in the game, but lets not get into an arguement about that. If the zoom was removed, the 357 would lose alot of potency (spelling?) becuase of the rapid fire bug and the zoom overall. I think it should keep it. Besides, someone could allways hack the HD 357 to put a scope on it and change the crosshair to a scope, then it would work just the same.
    The Cafe Of Rabid Snarks!

Exclusive home to my Sven Co-op Enhancement Pack!!

Now 3.0 compatible!

Nomad

If it didnt keep the zoom crosshair it would just be a rubbishy rifle, not a sniper rifle, but then you could say that they both have their advantages ( nomad nad crossbow ) the crossbow is kinda scilenced where as the nomad is more accurate and makes u feel all tingly when you get a head shot

Bini me wut r u talking about

we r talking about if we should keep the scope on the 357 not the nomad

i want sniper rifle and if you add sniper then i thin we dont need an zoom for 357 , or make it like its in opforce with desert eagle - with laser weapon is stronger but fire rate is smaller , without laser , fire rate is bigger but damage is smaller.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,
    the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

If the Nomad is such a big deal, stepping on the 357's toes and all, I say dump the Nomad and replace it with a different kind of long range weapon. Better get rid of something that hasn't been implemented, than remove something people are already familiar with, right? And get a new sniper that is totally different to replace the planned Nomad, something like a semi-auto sniper or one of those .50 anti-materiel rifles, or maybe even a sci-fi thing like the Lightning Gun from UT2003. God knows, the monsters in Sven need those....

Now i understand

Ok i think i know what gun we are talking about now, the magmum?

if it is why cant we all call it the magmum or the revolver so that mental people like me dont get confused,

357 is the weapon (magnum, revolver, etc.) name in halflife

weapon_357

right, i completly understand now

it would just be wierd if you took the scope off of it cozx every 1s so used 2 it now

I would be for removing the zoom if we also make the crossbow instant hit (saves on the 'lag' as well).

Also if the nomad isn't going to be added to maps that the 357 normally acted as a sniping weapon...well you can just imagine what you would do to the death counts.
    "Whoever seeks shall find, for none that is hidden will not manifest."
    "Hire your teenagers while they still know everything."

maybe u can code in some option for mappers to use so they can turn on scope on or off 4 dere maps