Thread: SC_Activist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SC_Activist

Screenshots, story and notes on progress can be found in the work in progress forum, specifically this thread:

http://www.svencoop.com/forums/showt...threadid=21441

Due to model limits I've split the map up into three, but it serves the story quite well so I'm not that bothered and level transitions mean minimal irritation.

Issues: I've no idea on gameplay so feedback would be welcome.

Map one: R_speeds are excessive and I'm working on dropping them (1200 in the lobby). however combat is at a minimum in this map so it shouldn't cause too many problems. Game_counter isn't working as it should so I've removed any instance of "kill two whatever before something happens."

Map two: No real issues here. R_speeds and combat should be average.

Map three: Spawn switch refuses to occur at the beginning of the map (once the lift has ended). As such you'll be starting with 70+ health until I can figure out why. Ichthyosaur is suspiciously absent making an area easier than it should be.

DOWNLOAD (9Mb):

Hezus - URL deleted, available in 3.0 Content Pack

EDIT: BETA 2 AVAILABLE, BETA 1 LINKS REMOVED.
    Last edited by Hezus; 02-10-2004 at 10:44 AM.

It wont let me dl bro..Everytime I click the DL link it brings me back to the thread..

Right click, save target as, it's a direct link to the zip not a page. Works fine for me.

Another link plz? that site sucks so much i dont have words..
    Walking in the World of Warcraft.

rofl

It sayss it'll take 2hr and 41 min to download

Its downloading at a massive 1.01kb a second

Get a new site lol

I use geocities...it is better for download speeds
    Back occasionally after a long break from svencoop

Contributor
    I let it download for the 2 1/2 hrs. and now its finished.

Here is a mirror of map:sc_activist.zip

I uploaded to my freehomepages.com account. Fast download speeds and bandwith shouldn't be a problem. Right click-save target as, or else it won't work.

By the way, this map looks really nice. I'm going to play it now and I'll post what I think of it later on.

Igotta say I was disappointed by this map after what I saw in the screenshots...

...it had a few cool things like the elevators with doors and new models for monsters

I didn't like your really bad placement of null texture where u could see it lol and the placement of spawn points was pretty silly....

I also had to skip part of the 2nd map because of a dble button to turn on warehouse power or something which was pretty annoying and I needed to get out of another area using low gravity...

...anyhow nice try..hope you improve it

The download ran at 5kb or so for me, which is still slow but I don't know why it was so slow for others.

Null textures where exactly? I'm quite bad at picking up small edges since I use null as my base texture.

Spawn points placed badly? How so?

The double button at the end is pretty much the end of that map save for riding the lift.

In which area was low gravity needed?

Null problems: top of a ledge in the powr core (where robo garg came from)

behind computers on the 3rd level in the other side room...not the one with the otis

Oh I remember another problem...the flying containment bots musn't be very useful if they never actually fire at the things they are mean't to contain

The area for low grav was in the malfunctioning elevator with a hole in the top

Spawn points bad because you start in the air and lose 30 health every time u respawn

Oh and its easy to set changing spawn point locations

Just make 2 sets of info_player_deathmatch things, there must be the same amount in each group.

Call both groups the same thing and set the flags in one of the groups to does not start or whatever...then when you need a change of respawn trigger the info_player_deathmatch names

Edit oh and I really suggest editing the other guys file link onto the thread starter post
    Last edited by The_6th_Monkey; 19-06-2004 at 03:45 AM.

Null I'll sort out.

Regarding the lift, when there's one player and func_wall_toggle should appear, I'll look into that, I'll also see if I can disable the multisourced buttons dependant on player count.

Spawns won't change. The spawn changes in the first map fine, but applying the exact same method in the third map yields no results. I'm stumped to be honest.

Link edited in.

Yeah, I couldn't really come up for a reason for the airborne bots either. Ermmm.....rebels?

EDIT: About the func_wall_toggle, it operated using a game_counter, which haven't been working properly for me as I said before. As such I took out all game_counters and simplified the things they activated. Seems I forgot about the implications for accessing that area.
    Last edited by Frel; 19-06-2004 at 04:02 AM.

rah those shitty freewebsites drive me crazy!!!
    can someone plz provide a good host...?

i'd love to play the map but i cant download it...

The link provided in the fifth post, which is also edited into my post, should get you the file in about two minutes (thanks cold_blood3d_killa).

more wpoly = more fun Tuesday's Avenger's Avatar  
    Contributor
    well its a beautiful set of maps but its got some issues, such as the null things discussed above and lots of malfunctioning elevators that make progressing past certain points impossible.

Malfunctioning elevators? Specifics would be helpful to tracking things down. I rode all the operational lifts on several occasions to check for entity clashes but didn't find any.

I've fixed the noted null issues, I feel a bit stupid such glaring HOM effects went passed un-noticed, suppose I ignored the details having run through so many times.

I appreciate any information regarding problems so they can be fixed.

Contributor
    Well the elevators in question ran smoothly when it was just me, but when i was playing with 4 other people they would not operate.
    Specifically the elevator to the warehouse at the end of the 2nd map and the elevator right after the room where you spawn in the 3rd map.

Would not operate how? No movement? jamming? Hitting all the buttons at once?

Contributor
    well, for the warehouse elevator, hitting the buttons at once did nothing, and the other one, you hit the button but nothing happened at all.

Hmmm, I'll look into it, although I can't see why a distinction would exist between single and multiplayer operation.

I found a good host

http://snarkcafe.net/files1/sc_activist.zip

Message me next time you want a host. We just upgraded our site, now with 12GB of storage!

Contributor
    Frel, I played through all the maps just a while ago. There are many things I enjoyed but there are also some problems.

Some good things:
    -lobby area
    -architecture in most areas looks really good.
    -texures are nice
    -use of custom models
    -some small puzzles
    -map 1 i liked most
    -elevators
    -i like the ending.
    -story

Some things that I think need improvement:
    -beginning of map 2 has ridiculously low frame rates even after monsters are killed.
    -fps is unstable in many other areas of maps 2 and 3. Does anyone else experience this?
    -maybe a few more healthkits could be added.
    -spawn points in map 3 don't change. If they can't be fixed, teleporters would be helpful and some healthkits to fix damage caused from falling.
    -Null textures, but thats already been mentioned.
    -the texture theme eventually seems overused by the 3rd map, but thats just my opinion.
    -some areas are seemed too dark and it was annoying trying to kill enemies, but the brightness of my monitor might be off a bit.

Overall, I think you did a nice job with these maps. I had fun playing them. Some adjustments would improve them greatly. I would have enjoyed the map much more if maps 2 and 3 ran more smoothly. I'm not an expert mapper or anything so don't take what i said too seriously. I hope this is helpful

Any comments are welcome. This is only the second released map I've made so I'm not exactly an expert regarding gameplay, bugs etc.

Regarding frame rates, the only hit I took occured during the initial fight on map 2, running on a GeForce2 and only while the fight was taking place.

I'm not aware what actually affects frame rates, but I'd assume it's linked to action on screen and r_speeds. Since the only high r_speed areas is sc_activist1 (unfeasibly high in my opinion, trying to fix that) I don't see why it would drop in other areas.

As for lighting, where was the darkness encountered? I play in a well lit and glare free room, usually at nights, so what I see as fine may be impractical for others.

The spawning issue I can not figure out. I'm willing to send anyone the relevant map section to examine and find any problems. As I've said, the exact same method works fine in map one but not map three. If it comes down to it I'll just jam the lift before it reaches the floor so fal damage doesn't occur.

Healthkits are no problem and can be added wherever, although bear in mind you should have team mates to heal you.

The texture theme was used to try to keep some continuity although I believe there's some unused variations in the poke646 wad, so if it's a common gripe I can alter it.

Contributor
    Its strange but map 1 and the lobby ran much smoother for me than most of maps 2 and 3 even though it had worse r_speeds. I am really confused by this but I guess its just me who has this problem. I have an Intel Graphics Controller video card that is 64 mb. Most all half-life maps run at 60 fps all the time. The beginning of the 2nd map was at most 7ps even after fight when looking towards the elevator or the glass across from spawn. Everywhere else had much better performance. I'm really not sure why this happens.

I played through the maps again quickly w/ cheats and found the lighting to be just fine. I guess I had the brightness down on my monitor for some reason. Sorry about that.

I'd be happy to take a look at spawns in map 3 and see if I can help.
    Last edited by cold_blood3d_killa; 20-06-2004 at 03:29 PM.

hello
    these are some bugs i noticed:
    first map:
    textures on the side of the escalators look like they're to fast...
    also the stairs to the second floor need some work.
    second map:
    did i have to press the buttons of those power gens together???
    well, i tried but nothing happened...
    third map:
    i guess this has been mentioned a lot but the first spawn point is to high and when it should've changed to the second spawn point
    i only saw the message but i didnt actually change...

Originally posted by cold_blood3d_killa
    I'd be happy to take a look at spawns in map 3 and see if I can help.
    I've tried a PM or two to get your email address in order to send you the .rmf or .map but since I've had no response I thought I might as well try here. Email?

EDIT: Ok, all of the listed bugs have been eliminated save for Tuesdays' apparent trouble with a lift (Warehouse is fixed, I altered a master accidentally during some entity tweaking).

I invite any comments regarding the actual play of the map to be posted in the work in progress thread (http://www.svencoop.com/forums/showt...threadid=21441) so as to avoid cluttering the showcase with development posts. Too many monsters? Too few? Ammo/health situation? Not enough puzzles?
    Last edited by Frel; 24-06-2004 at 03:08 PM.

Good map, would've got stuck at the second one if it wasn't for entmod though.
    R U teh own? I know I R Teh own, that's all :P

www.wtfcomics.com
    www.clanalive.cjb.net

/malfunction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast