Thread: Starship Troopers (beta1)

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Smile Starship Troopers (beta1)

Yeah, it's true.
    I have been working on a Starship Troopers map, this is a defend map.
    It's supposed to be the base-thing where it came thousands of bugs from each angle.
    Please comment my map, I could really need some help with ideas and stuff. Well.. here ya' go!

BETA 1
    -------
    Mirror #1

Mirror #2

News 26/11-04:

Check this place for the NEW SST map:
    http://www.svencoop.com/forums/showt...0&page=1&pp=25
    Last edited by Archanor; 26-11-2004 at 05:16 PM.

lol pics plz
    Back occasionally after a long break from svencoop

Too cool!

Man, you got the insect models down. (baby Voltigores?) When I fell off the wall they"re attack felt like I was in the movie. The main difference is they're inability to take fire. In the movie it seemed like the soldiers had to shoot them forever before they died. They were more susceptible to grenades. Maybe like babygargs with lower health. Great idea though and those models rock. Great start. Do you have them respawning at a infinite level? Maybe set the respawn to like 1,000 or so. Depending on how big or long you want the map. Kill them all on this planet and off to another planet, 2nd map, like in the movie. Maybe have the assblasters , bigmamma spores, in 2nd or 3rd planet, map. Love the theme idea will watch for more.

Originally posted by The_6th_Monkey
    lol pics plz
    Here is the PIC

I really like the insect model!

How about if players kill a number of insects(500? 1000?), there'll be a transport ship flies down and take you leave? (the ending sequence)

Other opinion I fellow goanna
    Last edited by NovaRain; 03-07-2004 at 07:09 AM.

Creative Commons is a nonprofit that offers a flexible copyright for creative work.
    http://creativecommons.org/

Desintigrator of Souls
    who is this 'Schimmel'? I've never heard of him before. Killer snail converted it from where?

The map needs work. The models look sweet, but thats the only thing.
    the truth about scientology

Originally posted by mikker
    The map needs work. The models look sweet, but thats the only thing.
    What do you mean with that my map needs work?
    A little more precise, please?

Btw. thanks for other comments and ideas. (Goanna, Novarain!)
    I was actually thinking of making a starship trooper series, this will be the ending map I think. More ideas are greatly appreciated.

Desintigrator of Souls
    -you need to raise the 'max viewable distance'.

-the map needs more detail.

-it needs an ending.

Manager
    Comments sound good so far. I`ll give it a try.

Originally posted by mikker
    who is this 'Schimmel'? I've never heard of him before. Killer snail converted it from where?
    The model was originally made by the Natural Selection Modeling community as a skulk replacement. All our map maker here did is alter the .qc file I think.

www.natural-selection.org/forums
    That'd be their forums. Look in the Customization/Modeling Section. Use the search option or the Official Release Thread Sticky.

What? Did yout think this was warez?

Regards,
    Delta|Cpt.Terran

Manager
    Well let's see. The concept is very good. Tho it needs some work gameplaywise and architecture/detailwise.

Gameplay would be better if the monster would be more dangerous. Now they are just too easy to kill. Give them :
    - more speed
    - more healthpoints
    - MUCH more attackdamage (they do 10 damage with each blow and in the movie most soldiers were dead or pierced on the first blow)

The gameplay would be more thrilling when the enemy's would actually break a wall and storm through. No-one would actually open those doors themself with all these monsters waiting outside. Another thing is to let them dig trough the sand and get into the fortress at a certain point. Would be a good thing.

Basicly your map has too high r_speeds. This is because there are too many entity's and the layout creates a high wpoly. Let's talk about the entity's first. By making the monsters harder you can put in less monsters at one time you can save on epoly. Deleting all those MP5's in the middle would solve something too. (just add weapon_mp5 into the cfg).

A smarter layout would give you more room for better architecture and lower wpoly. I drawed up something you might consider using

http://www.goannasvencoop.com/Hezus/images/sst.JPG

What else you could do is find some tutorials about detail and architecture and review your map. It can sure look a load better if you use the right methods. I made a few tutorials you could use on my site (www.goannasvencoop.com/Hezus "check Mapping section")

Keep up the good work !

HINT HINT = Maybe implent The Tank Beetle (gargantua replacement ?)

Desintigrator of Souls
    Originally posted by Delta|Cpt.Terran

The model was originally made by the Natural Selection Modeling community as a skulk replacement. All our map maker here did is alter the .qc file I think.

www.natural-selection.org/forums
    That'd be their forums. Look in the Customization/Modeling Section. Use the search option or the Official Release Thread Sticky.

What? Did yout think this was warez?

Regards,
    Delta|Cpt.Terran
    it DID look a bit like the antlion....

heh, no. It just surprised me that i never heard of someone that could make such a nice model. But well if it was Natural selection, then it makes sence

....WHAT A AWESOME MAP

today i played with 3 guys it was just amazing.. 2 guys ran out.. while we had covering fire on top.. it was just completly awesome .. great work! I would love to see the aliens break throught the walls! and I would love to see a series of these.. great map once again

9/10 great job.

more wpoly = more fun Tuesday's Avenger's Avatar  
    Contributor
    Ok, before i go into my suggestion list, lemme say this:

Awesome work! Gives you that besieged feeling from the movie. I've been waiting for someone to make one like this. Very nice!

Things that would make it even more amazing:
    - Maybe a little bigger fort? although there are some r_speed issues already.
    - Bigger, Badder, Faster bugs. In the movie, it took a hell of a lot of bullets to take em down, and dont be afraid to make the bugs do 70 or 80 damage. This way, even one hit will be very bad, and criticals will kill in one bite. People will expect this if they've seen the movie. If the bugs are a lot harder to kill, theyd be scarier. I played by myself and I felt like I was on the offenseive sometimes.
    - Make it so if the bugs remain around the entrance gates long enough, they break and allow the bugs in. I really liked the tunnel in idea too. If all you have to do to survive is keep the doors closed, its kinda weird.
    - Give us a goal. Maybe a dropship is comming in 30 minutes? And dont just make that the map time limit, give us a way to lose too. Perhaps a satelite dish in the center of the base must be defended to guide the ship in, which the bugs will attempt to destroy. (there are ways to do this now even before 3.5 comes out).
    - More model immersion. The bug models work really well, but the mp5 and opfor grunts and sniper rifle seem out of place. There are morita rifle models out there, and If you want i could work on some more trooper looking grunts. This would just bump the map up another notch.
    - Increase max viewing distance.

I know some of these have been said before, and they're good points. Don't let all this criticism get you down, because it's all constructive, which means we like the map enough to want to take time and help you really improve it. What you have already is outstanding, just tweak it some more and i think we will be seeing a lot of this map

Woooo!
    I'll do my best to improve the map, since this is my SECOND map that's probably going to be finished.
    I don't know much about triggering and stuff, but I'll do my best.
    (If anyone can give me some guidance, like pointing out tutorials, especially about those walls that can be broke down, it would rock!)

Mikker: I would really know how to know how to raise 'max viewable distance'.

Hezus: Improvements about the arachnids will be fixed.
    And I will consider your map layout. (Sounds good to me)
    And the tank-beetle will be added IF someone would take their time to fix a model up, since I unfortunately can't model (yet)

28DaysLater: Thanks for the comments, you WILL get those breakable walls, and series will be considered if I get the support I need.

Tuesday's Avenger: The satelite dish sounds awesome, and the tunnels and dropship are pretty good ideas.

Just as you know, this has really helped me..
    But still I'm in need of infantry models, and other alien models, I wan't this map to be teh perfect. :P

Thx!

Contributor
    I'd be happy to do some model hunting for ya, etc, and work on some infantry models. Unfortunately, i'm not good enough to make a beetle bug from scratch, you might wanna talk to Wildcat about that. I did find another cool thing where bugs can get into the base on their on by some way other than the doors:

Thats by climbing up the rocks on the side of the sniper tower and crawling in through the open side. Scared the crap outa me!

I was thinking about also working on one of those flying arachnids for you, maybe as a controller replacement.

[whisper] You know.. I was just working on the tower, so the bugs will be able to climb up in the tower.. Don't tell anyone! [/whisper]

*caugh, caugh*

Weeeeeeeeee!
    If Avenger can do those birds, you are all doomed. *sinister laughter*
    And if you can hunt down some models for me, I'd be grateful. (Spelling?)
    Thanks again

*Runs back to Hammer*

Contributor
    current progress with trooper model:

Hehehehe.. sweet!
    Can you make some kind of a SST-Medic?
    Btw. in SC 3.5, I'm gonna have classes in this map, So I need suggestions for that too..

Infantry
    Medic
    HW Guy
    Sniper
    Engineer (We are able to build turrets in the new version?)

On your way!

- MUCH more attackdamage (they do 10 damage with each blow and in the movie most soldiers were dead or pierced on the first blow)
    That's exactly what I was talking about Hezus. In the movie they would shoot them forever, it seemed, before one would finally die. When I fell off the wall outside there was a bit of panic at first when the bugs converged on me but I soon realized they were't doing too much damage, unlike the movie. Tuesday's Avenger, that model looks sweet so far.
    The Tank Beetle (gargantua replacement
    That's it! I got the wrong critter, assblaster was from the movie Tremors II. I could see them knocking down friendly Ospreys trying to bring in reinfocements. Couldn't the bigmamma's spore blast be used for the tankbeetle's blaster? (Was that the huge beetle that would dig up from underground or the ones that were shooting the bombs from their butts)? The ones bombing the ships in space from the planet's surface are the ones I'm refering to. Go, go, go!

Originally posted by Hezus
    Give the arachnids :
    - more speed
    - MUCH more attackdamage

Deleting all those MP5's in the middle would solve something too. (just add weapon_mp5 into the cfg).
    I am not sure how to use these *.cfg's..
    Can you please tell me how to do it, or point me out a tutorial?
    And, can I alter speed and damage in a *.cfg?

Edit:

Originally posted by Goanna
    Was that the huge beetle that would dig up from underground or the ones that were shooting the bombs from their butts?
    The big beetle that spits out some kind of a red acid.

Contributor
    Originally posted by Archanor
    Hehehehe.. sweet!
    Can you make some kind of a SST-Medic?
    Im planning on it, as soon as i finish the grunts, ill make the medic model.

Im also tweaking a morita model for you.

Originally posted by Tuesday's Avenger

Im planning on it, as soon as i finish the grunts, ill make the medic model.

Im also tweaking a morita model for you.
    Yay!
    Make 1 with scope on, and 1 without.
    (I need one for sniperrifle and one for normal 9mmar)

Contributor
    Hey, what should I do for the SAW that the grunts use? The mp5 and shotgun can both be moritas since in the movie it seemed some soldiers had a masterkey under their rifle, but i dont know what to do for the SAW.

I don't think we need a SAW gun, I'll just use 9mmar and shotgun for the grunts.

Contributor

Whatcha think?

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast