Thread: Infested - Beta 2

Contributor

Infested - Beta 2

Well I've finally finished the Beta 2 version of the Infested map series. I think that its a good improvement over the Beta 1 version. Please download and tell me what you think of it. If you want to compare the beta 1 version to this I urge you to play the beta 1 again. The map is made difficult to provide optimal gameplay for larger player amounts. The map website has not yet been updated for the Beta 2 release. Hopefully I'll be able to do that and post some screens. Please provide me with any comments or feedback you have.

EDIT: download link removed again. infested is now in SC 4.0 !
    Last edited by cold_blood3d_killa; 27-12-2008 at 06:22 AM. Reason: updated link

Re: Infested - Beta 2

Ill play this with my friend tonight, ill edit this post after i finished the map!

I'm not able to play the map due to some NetChan error.
    Last edited by Qwerty; 19-08-2004 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty
    Downloading and initializing screenshot capture to publish in this reply...Failure of download -- Please provide another download mirror.
    Quote Originally Posted by cold_blood3d_killa
    right click here, save target as
    !!!

in mozilla right click doesn't work here, you have to c&p the url in a new window, download rate is ok.

(and sorry, no feedback, i didn't play the second beta yet)

Contributor

Download link has been updated. I don't think you'll have any trouble downloading now.

Quote Originally Posted by auge
    in mozilla right click doesn't work here, you have to c&p the url in a new window, download rate is ok.

Works fine with my 1.7.1 Version...
    Right Click: Save Link Target As...Button

Quote Originally Posted by Synchro!
    i'm using 1.7.2 and 'save as' only downloaded the error 404 page, anyway it's updated now

Contributor

I have not experienced any errors playing this map and neither have any of the many people who have played this on the Cafe of Rabid Snarks server. I do not know why you would have an error starting the map, Qwerty, since it is the exact same map that has worked for others. If anyone else has a problem with it please let me know.

This is an awesome map : good textures, enemies are not too hard to kill, there is plenty of guns too. Its a good map for a beta . But maybe you could add more stuff in somes corridors, ex. crates, military stuff....

Overall 9/10

EDIT : guys top saying stupid things and try to feedback his maps

Quote Originally Posted by Synchro!
    Quote Originally Posted by auge

Last edited by Hell-met; 21-08-2004 at 10:54 PM.

Manager

I remember playing Infested beta 1. Let's take a look at this

Manager

I`m really suprised how soo much better the visuals on the map are now ! You really did some great work on updating the last version ! It really equals the level of the official 3.0 maps Good work there !

Gameplay is a bit sharpened now, but the redicilous amount of health the aliens have kind of ruins it, and that's very very sad. I kept running circles around every enemy and emptying clips on them, that's fun at the start but it becomes VERY annoying after a while. I would suggest you drop the alien healthpoints by 50%. This way they keep above average health but still be a high threat. It's good to keep those geneticly enhanced creatures in as sort of bossmonsters, but the normal aliens really should not be like that. A gonome with 1000 health is just too much. The difficulty is high enough on the map to change this and still have a challenge on the map. Futher gameplay is very much balanced, and switches nicely between different enemy's.

I would rate this map quite high, but the Alien health issue kind of discouraged me. Perhaps you can change it in the next beta

Very good work so far !

Contributor

Thanks for the replies and feedback regarding the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Hezus
    Gameplay is a bit sharpened now, but the redicilous amount of health the aliens have kind of ruins it, and that's very very sad. I kept running circles around every enemy and emptying clips on them, that's fun at the start but it becomes VERY annoying after a while. I would suggest you drop the alien healthpoints by 50%. This way they keep above average health but still be a high threat. It's good to keep those geneticly enhanced creatures in as sort of bossmonsters, but the normal aliens really should not be like that. A gonome with 1000 health is just too much. The difficulty is high enough on the map to change this and still have a challenge on the map. Futher gameplay is very much balanced, and switches nicely between different enemy's.

I would rate this map quite high, but the Alien health issue kind of discouraged me. Perhaps you can change it in the next beta

Very good work so far !
    Making high health aliens is most likely the result of playing the Beta 1 map on a 16 player server many times. In the beta 2, the 1000 hp gonomes are all dead in seconds and so are all the other aliens. I really hate seeing the map completely so quickly. For example, some people are already entering the lab while others are still on the first floor (second map.) The same is true for the first map, by the time a lot of people even reach the library, the leading pack of players is already annihilating all the aliens in the Gonarch room. However, with the spawning monsters, theres is usually something for everyone to do, no matter where they are. I just fear that the map may seem empty, boring, and unchallenging if the aliens are too weak. Again, this is described with 16 players. When i played it with 4 people it was way harder but much more fun. Lowering alien health, I think, would take a way from the gameplay with large amounts of players.

There seems to be a number of more servers that hold a lot of players. I'm not sure exactly what player amount I should design the map for. My thought was to make it optimized for 4-10 players, yet not boring for up to a max of 16 players. I don't really know if that's possible. I really want to make this map the best it can be. I've put a lot of work into the map and don't want to ruin it with bad gameplay, so hopefully I can fix this.
    Last edited by cold_blood3d_killa; 24-08-2004 at 01:56 PM.

Manager

What you could do is : Lower their health, but give about 30% more power to their attacks with a SKL file, so you can still balance the difficulty out. I guess walktrough maps should not be designed for 10 players, 8 at max. 10+ players would only make real sense on horde maps. I would say : try to balance it for 2-8 players and you`ll be fine.

And im still thinking that the Genetically Enhanced Gonome with 1123781 health points is a VERY good example of teamplay,and i liked how you must trap this gonome in a glass container

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Hell-met
    And im still thinking that the Genetically Enhanced Gonome with 1123781 health points is a VERY good example of teamplay,and i liked how you must trap this gonome in a glass container
    Yes, the Gonome in the container is a kind of sub-bossmonster and that's really good for gameplay. But I was talking abou the other monsters, they have way to high HP.

Contributor

Hell-met, you must be thinking of the beta 1. I originally had that gonome at 1000 hp, but the RS clan ripented the map to make it have 13371337 health. It was nice to see the players try and trap him back in the container (something I never planned for), but he was always let back out. Players would eventually just crowbar him continuosly and forget about the map. In the beta 2 version that gonome has had his health increased to 3000 to make for a better boss fight.

Regarding the alien healths: I am going to play through both maps later, with no cheats, and determine exactly how the alien health points should be adjusted. Also, increasing their attack damage sounds like a good idea. However, my question is: Does the skill.cfg in the Sven Co-op directory match the settings of skill 2?
    Last edited by cold_blood3d_killa; 25-08-2004 at 12:42 PM.

i didnt realize it was a ripent lol
    but its still one of the best map ive ever played

Oh....wow this maps are really great...It should really be in Best Of Map Showcase
    The ending of the first map reminds me in Osprey, but i think its better...
    The end of the second map was a damn cool challenge (We didnt make it *sniff*, were only 2 ppl). Anything happens after the part with the train?

if this is the version of the map thats in the mappack, i would just like to say,
    HOLY SHIT very freaking good map, i haven't played all of the maps in the mappack but this one is my current favourite. map is just really really good. :O