Thread: Map Release - Area_Zero

Map Release - Area_Zero

Oh noes!1!!

Scientist Scientist

Re: Map Release - Area_Zero

I played it on the rs server, I give it a 3.5-4.0. Its interesting. I like how in the 2nd map in xen that the scientist gets pulled by the thing. And its good for 5-10 players. And I see you are using that shotgun, I use it too, its so hl2ish.
    New Map Under Construction: Audacity

Path To Greatness Final (When or IF I finish it) (97+%)

Banned

NICE WORK FOX ! it gets a / 5

-1 because you could have detailled it much more ^^

Manager

Not too bad.. the maps are a bit short but fun to play through. My major complaint would be that the rooms are a bit repetive. You have used some nice detailworks, but that didnt fix that the rooms still act very blocky. Best thing you could do is make sure the ceilingheight differs in almost every room and make the corridors in different shapes. Make it look more variated and interresting.

Make sure you fix those doors tho, they slide into the wall and are visible for the player. Make sure they go into the middle of the wall so the are not visible anymore. Futhermore, set the lip of the func_doors to 5. This will make sure that they dont fully move into the wall, that looks a lot better.

Gameplay is pretty fun altho still a bit linear and easy. Maybe some more bigger fights and friendly monsters would make it more appealing. But in overall : not bad

I would give it 60/100 now.

Fun map, but a bit short and easy. I did play it alone with no extras. Would appreciate more ammo mainly for the shotgun. Plus, once you hit the checkpoint on the first part, you can not get the wrench.

thanks for all the comments ill think of those if i make any more maps in HL1 which i think i will
    Oh noes!1!!

deranged fundamentalist Eruntalon's Avatar

Looks ok. I'll play it tonight depending on my state of health.

The most striking thing about this series is the sparatic use of weapons. Example in part 1 you give us a machine gun only to strip it from us by giving us a new spawn point that only allows us to have access to the shotgun. The first level is easy I must say and a shot gun with 12 ammo is just not enough... especially when you do not give us any secondary weapon past the second half. You end up typing kill in console just to continue on in the map. I'd have to agree with the other comments as well. The rooms look too much alike.. some rooms providing pointless turn arounds and your ceilings are way too low.. I feel like I am in a complex for midgets.

You rely too much on spawning monsters right infront of players to add a higher level of skill to your map and once again this gets really repetive and obvious. You turn a corner towards the end waiting for something to spawn in front of you and behind you.. so you are prepared for it only to realize you have no more ammo and are helpless.

As stated before your doors do need work.. overlapping brushes take away from the architecture of your map. Your sequences need to be implimented a bit better as well. The radio sequence towards the end didn't really make sense I think you have some issues with the order in your multimanagers. Also whats with the giant blood pool in Zen that doesn't kill you... once again forcing you to type kill in console.

Xen is a nice change its good to see a map implimenting a transformation from complex to Xen. Although your Xen needs to be a tad more organic (reference to the Alien Grunt room). However dispite all this ragging im doing (sorry ) Your sprite work and placement is very nice and I found some of the cheap shameless plugs of your clan members or whoever in monster names quite commical.

Overall good job. A nice quick run you need to expand your horizons and focus on different means of portraying how you work with monsters and architecture.

On the Sveney Mapcycle: 24.57.35.100:27015
    www.sveney.tk :: SvenCoop Server Community
    --- www.Podcast17.com ---
    Podcast 17 is a weekly audio show in which William and a selection of co-hosts discuss mods and news from the Valve/Half-Life sphere.

:O i feel honored not many servers have hosted my maps before just some random listenservers im working on a bonuslevel or well another level for Area_Zero currently ill probebly release some screenshots of the map once i have something to show off rather then a very early non lighted map
    Oh noes!1!!

deranged fundamentalist Eruntalon's Avatar

Played it. I was able to run through most of the two maps by myself quite quickly.

Sucky sucky, love you long time ]SK['s Avatar

"Spawn room." -Qwerty

"The elevator looks actually a bit nice, the shaft needs lots of work though - could maybe even use a different theme that matches the elevator." -Qwerty

"The brush with stripe textures interclips with the center brush." -Qwerty

"The door is ugly." -Qwerty

"Strictly, never have anything like a door, fence, railing, or anything in the similarity be touching glass. It makes the spot look nasty, unrealistic, and makes it just look plain bad." -Qwerty

"Xen spawn area." -Qwerty

"Quite blocky, eh?" -Qwerty

"So first I teleport to Xen, then after 6 to 10 minutes I already finish it by teleporting out of xen...poor storyline." -Qwerty

Architecture ::
    1.7 out of 5.0
    Blocky. I like the attempt on the xen theme, I like the attempt on a 'realistic' bent door (though needs better work, it's repetitive and its side textures suck). It needs more wall decoratioins (like that crack in the spawn room with the pipes or whatever). It needs more curves, it needs more crisp architecture. The elevator shaft was horrible and didn't fit the theme of the elevator textures at all.

Texture Usage ::
    2.3 out of 5.0
    I love the attempt on xen textures. I find xen textures quite a bit more difficult to use than the human or default halflife.wad textures because we literally live in a human environment and have not very much experience of "alien" worlds. Xen textures and environments require a lot of creativity. Other than that, the main area could use more textures to help spice up the architecture, add decoration, etc.

Gameplay ::
    1.2 out of 5.0
    Where did the snarks come from? They just appear out of nowhere. The way some aliens spawn is too obvious, they just appear there sometimes. The lighting in the main area was pretty much composed of 93% fullbright, those ceiling lights must be darn strong - just think of the power usage. Try a variety of light colors, I got bored of the same colors. The Xen world was a lot better than the main area, as it didn't really have much of fullbright similarities, plus had a little variation of light colors.

Fun Factor ::
    1.5 out of 5.0
    Some ammo here and there would be nice. Altogether, the gameplay, texture usage, and architecture even affect the fun factor. Usually if you have low ratings on the first two, the last two will probably be around the same unless you implemented a very good storyline that just makes the player forget about most of the architecture and concentrate on the drama. Atleast it had NPCs. Xen world could have used a mini-boss or boss with a variation of attacks (maybe baby garg with 1000 to 2000hp, two alien controllers, an alien slave or two off at a distance basically "sniping," a headcrab or so jumping off a cliff towards you).

Overall Rating ::
    1.7 out of 5.0
    More decorations, ambient noises, better storyline. It needs work pretty much everywhere.

Overall Rating Definitions ::
    0.0 to 0.9 = Horrible, map needs a lot of work!
    1.0 to 1.9 = Poor mapping, the majority of the level lacks effort.
    2.0 to 2.9 = Average, needs some improvements and touchup in most areas of the level.
    3.0 to 3.9 = Fine map, needs improvements and touchup in some areas.
    4.0 to 4.9 = Very Good! Needs a small ammount of improvement or touchups.
    5.0 = Excellent, Best Map of Showcase (BMS)!

Category Definitions ::
    Architecture is the level and variety of architecture styles used to give the environment its taste and feel.
    Texture usage is how unique textures are used together, where they are used, when they are used, and how often they are used.
    Gameplay is what the player experiences during any interaction of the map(s), which includes if you put too much or too little of enemies to fight against, and might include how, when, and where puzzles or mini-games are used. For a more detailed description of gameplay, click here.
    Fun Factor is the level of excitement, fun, or enjoyment experienced in the map(s).

In no way was this rating system designed or intended on hurting or discouraging any mapper in any way.
    QwertysRating(tm) v2.0 System(c), Free to Use.