Thread: MG386 Map Series, OSP - Mission Xtreme, version 4.50 released

Post MG386 Map Series, OSP - Mission Xtreme, version 4.50 released

Hello Everyone,

Happy New Year!

MG386 just wanted to let you know that He’s released a new update for his map series OSP - Mission Xtreme, version 4.50. All four maps have many fixes and improvements. For maps #1 & 2 a time counter has also been added. Now when a player joins a server, if nobody joins and you’re alone for a time, the map will start automatically. So now you can start playing by yourself while waiting for friends to join! Also in this update you will find a completely new large area added to map #4 that you’ll have to get through in order to finish the map. It is called The Labyrinth. Have your flashlight ready, because it’s a very dark, twisting, turning tunnel of doom! And look out; there’s a new monster hiding in the shadows waiting for some unsuspecting victims to wonder by… Included in The Labyrinth are some new textures and sounds. Be careful you don’t back-track, to give you a little help here’s a hint; look for lighting and color changes to help find your way to the exit.

Click on the installer and all files will be automaticly put in thier proper place for you. Also a start menu folder will be created containing the readme file, OSP manual, site shortcut (where you can download more maps), and an unistaller so you can cleanly and easly remove everything. It’s just like the installer for the Sven Co-op mod. All files in the installer are compressed like a zip, size is 57.55MB compressed. Uncompressed size, 103MB

Below are links to the site’s release announcement, update patch installer, and full installer for OSP - Mission Xtreme v4.50.

See you on the server, Enjoy!
    Zardoz
    Last edited by Hezus; 06-01-2005 at 01:10 PM.

Welcome to hell! Spend your time in hell! I could try to change it but it suits me too well...

Re: MG386 Map Series, OSP - Mission Xtreme, version 4.50 released

fixed non-exe version with maps that dont require you to play in order.
    Last edited by Hezus; 06-01-2005 at 02:57 PM.

Sucky sucky, love you long time ]SK['s Avatar

I have to agree with Slidje. Whilst yes your helping the newer users who dont know how to install maps us vets or server admins dont really need an installer. Thanks for the zip Slidje.

Downloading, now.
    ill tell you what I think once ive played it later.

Contributor

Notice: I've taken the zipped version off at the request of the map author.

I would recommend the lite version http://mg386.com/modules.php?name=Do...p=getit&lid=97 (no offence but I havent got a clue why the media player was added) at 57.55 MB its 5 megs less than with the media player (includes an mp3 and midi file)

Welcome to hell! Spend your time in hell! I could try to change it but it suits me too well...

this is the stupidest map pack i have ever seen. not only do you have to install it along with a shitty media player, it also adds a start menu shortcut for the stupid map. the readme is even an exe.

you are also forced to play the maps in order. if you load level 2 and try to play, it sends you to a teleporter back to the first level.
    level 2 always crashes with the garg T-rex`s.

Quote Originally Posted by Slidje
    you are also forced to play the maps in order.
    I have to agree on that being a poor idea. I haven't played this version, but on the previous version, osp3 crashed and we could never play osp4 even though it worked, simply because of being forced to play them in order.

I also think that a full blown exe installation with music, desktop shortcuts, etc. is unneeded for a 4-map mappack for little ol' SvenCoop.

Quote Originally Posted by Slidje
    this is the stupidest map pack i have ever seen. not only do you have to install it along with a shitty media player, it also adds a start menu shortcut for the stupid map. the readme is even an exe.
    Hey will you shut up? First of all, it's not a stupid map you noob, a shortcut is just added for being user-friendly. Some people here even posted a ZIP file and youre still whining like a noob sjeez
    Nickmania - a free game development portal with games depot

Quote Originally Posted by Beather
    Hey will you shut up? First of all, it's not a stupid map you noob, a shortcut is just added for being user-friendly. Some people here even posted a ZIP file and youre still whining like a noob sjeez
    First off, how is it user friendly? The maps need more than one player, so it would just be easier to open steam and join a server playing it.

Secondly, Slidje was the one that posted the ZIP, when MG should've been the one to take the time to make it.

EDIT: And it doesn't make sense why MG doesn't want a ZIP, it would be a lot easier and faster for those of us who know how to install maps.
    Last edited by EvilPentaPenguin; 05-01-2005 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beather
    First of all, it's not a stupid map you noob,

It's christmas everyday with Saff Suicidal's Avatar

20 megs of recoloured monsters and crappy weapon models
    35 meg of sounds, most of which are music that nobody really wants to hear. One of them is even 10 minutes long.
    The maps are around 8 meg EACH becuase each one is wad included, the same textures are in each map when it would have reduced file size with just one wad file. The maps themselves are blocky filled with prefabs. These are just part of a small list of problems with this whole series

I also don't understand why the shotgun model uses CS arms while the mp5 model has HEV. I would've thought that you wanted to keep the style the same.

EDIT: And excuse me if I'm wrong, but some of the hgrunt models look like they were taken from AVP2, which would be illegal...

It's christmas everyday with Saff Suicidal's Avatar

Theres also some crummy pop music in there too which would be illegal to distribute also.

Its a bit strange that this is the only map pack I have ever seen that wants you to install some suspicious media player, and NEEDS to put something in your windows registry. The exe installer might be helpful for people who dont know how to use zip files, but the rest of us want normal zip files so we know exactly what we're installing.
    The quality of the maps themselves is quite low. Very basic map design, most areas being cubes full of prefabs and some new textures (although I have to admit I didnt get past the second level because I decided to take a break and play later, but whoops! I cant! I have to play the first level again!). The textures appear to be wadincluded into the maps. Normally this would be a good thing, making sure there are fewer files. However the maps use a great deal of new textures, some unnecesarily high detail textures of posters or something. All halflife textures are basically bmp files, which are very big. And they are wadincluded into EACH MAP. Making the filesize of each BSP much bigger. If the wad file was external and each map used that, the overall filesize would be much smaller.
    Many of the models just seem totally random and out of place. There are some unnecessary high detail weapon models, that dont seem to be in the map pack for any reason. Other than the fact that the map author likes the look of them I guess, and for that we have to download an extra 7.04mb of files in the models\MG386\weapon folder.
    The grunts, which seem to vary from grunts from AvP (why?) to some other badly animated and some other high detail model, just spawn randomly. Kill one and another six or seven will probably respawn in his place. The new models, which generally dont make any sense at all, all seem a bit unnecessarily high detail. I never noticed individual fingers on a grunt before because im usually busy shooting him in the face. Well im sure theres a good reason theres an extra 20mb of models with the map, I just dont know what it is yet.
    Something that got my attention was that in the sound/mg386 folder there are two large sound files called MG386_osp2_l1.wav and MG386_osp3_l1.wav. Upon inspection these actually turned out to be two full length songs! Thanks for that, that compulsory music added another 10MB to the map pack.

The models and music are all copyrighted to their authors. Did you credit them? I cant really tell because the readme is an .exe, and theres no way im running the only readme file in the universe that is an exe.
    the eden account makes buildings smile

Sucky sucky, love you long time ]SK['s Avatar

I wouldnt say the continuation of playing each map in order is a stupid idea. But SvenCoop servers, I find, can crash at random periods. In which case you cant pull up the last map you were on to continue.

Ah well, despite all the negavite arguments I still think this is good map pack. Keep the updates coming...but maybe in a zip and exe format?

read_me.jpg.rar.zip.tga.mpg.mov.avi.wmv.bmp.psd.jpg.bat.exe. tif.lnk.pdd.pcd.flm.gif.eps.dib.pdp.pcx.pxr.png.sct.wbm.vst. icb.vda.obj.mdl.obt.obs.obtheme.oca.obz.occ.oce.oaf.obd.ob1. eas.easa.easm.ead.cad.html.php.sql.txt.rar.zip.ras.tmp.rax.f la.jpeg.bat

The author should consider that not everyone is on broadband and making a map series with full-length songs in massive .wav form is illogical when making it a compulsory download. Perhaps this series would be accepted if the author decided to make a .zip file in the first place for people who know how to use computers.

Not to mention the music and some models appear to come from copyrighted sources with dubious claims of ownership by MG.
    http://www.svencoop.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic60_1.gif

The very least include an uninstaller with an .exe. I installed the update forgetting I had removed the earlier version. I deleted all the files I could find and tried to install the full version and kept getting the message "a more resent version has been detected on my computer" and wouldn't install even though there were no files. This tells me there's something in my registry I can't remove and that stinks.

So what made you shut down the site "Indefinately"

Quote Originally Posted by EvilPentaPenguin
    So what made you shut down the site "Indefinately"
    It was most likely "desactivated"...

I agree FULLY with Turrican.
    Id think this mappack was gonna be good.
    But it was really a poor attempt.

Manager

I`ve played some of the first map, but I`m kind of disappointed. With such a huge pack as this I thought you`ve chosen custom content to make it look better altho that's not really the case here.

The maps sure have potentional with the background story and the sequences, but the overall workout is pretty poor. Architecture is at a very low level and you may have custom textures, but floor and ceiling are not aligned, and overall the rooms look pretty plain. Detail work is pretty low too, the objects in the maps are mostly pre-fab's we have seen a 100 times now. I would rather choose for better architecture than stuffing rooms full of prefabs.

The custom sounds are good. The soldiers telling you a bit of the background story and giving some extra feeling to the map. Altho you could raise the volume of the speech about 200% because it's really hard to hear.

The weapon models are not really giving something extra to the map. You could as well remove them to lower the size of the package. Custom monstermodels are pretty good. The heavy machine gun grunt is a good addition, altho you could reduce the damage he can do with it a bit. I had some bugs with the models tho, some of them just start disappearing into some wierd forms.

The custom textures don't do much to the map. They are about the same quality of the normal HL textures so there isn't really much point to use those. Many of the posters and pictures against the walls do not make that much sense or make the rooms look unrealistic.

As for the gameplay, there are mosters spawning out of thin air. If you want to make monsters respawn then use a door that opens and monsters come out. The way you`ve done it here is pretty much outdated. Area's are a little bit to dark. Even on my TFT monitor (that is pretty bright compared to CRT's) I had some trouble finding my way around in some area's.

Maybe you can mix the monster appearance with the story. The story starts off pretty realistic but then suddenly you bump into hordes of soldiers and aliens. I would say you look at the origional HL1 story line and increase the difficulty level after every mission you accomplish. Start off with some puzzles, then the first soldiers, and as soon aliens are ment to come in let something go wrong, so there is a "realistic" reason for the aliens to be there.

My advice would be :
    - Review all the custom content and only use the things that are really needed or would really improve the map.
    - Get rid of a load of pre-fabs and create some of your own objects.
    - Add some more detail and architecture.
    - Balance gameplay with difficulty level and story

EDIT :

For the people around here, stop the flaming and post CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISM.

Wow with all this flaming, I think im just gonna pass up downloading this huge file that has supposedly been filled with pirated content.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilPentaPenguin
    First off, how is it user friendly? The maps need more than one player, so it would just be easier to open steam and join a server playing it.

Secondly, Slidje was the one that posted the ZIP, when MG should've been the one to take the time to make it.

EDIT: And it doesn't make sense why MG doesn't want a ZIP, it would be a lot easier and faster for those of us who know how to install maps.
    Alright, you're right about Slidje, didn't knew it was you yourself. I'm sorry. I'm pretty sure
    though he put a shortcut it just for being user-friendly : The latest version allows to play by yourself, so...Join date? Sjeez wino, so what ur sayin is that all peeps that have registration dates below me are more leet? Shineeee

I'm not aiming to post destructive critisim, I want to be positive and correct people I believe are wrong.
    Nickmania - a free game development portal with games depot

Manager

The attached readme/licence file says this :
    All content copyright 2004 by the author Martin Girard (MG386)
    You must ask for permission from the author (Martin Girard)
    to make changes, alter, or use these files for other maps.
    What would mean the models and textures are made by MG386. I`ll PM him about it.

Links removed untill "piracy" issue has been cleared up
    Last edited by Hezus; 06-01-2005 at 01:10 PM.