Thread: sc_tetris (walkthrough)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Contributor

sc_tetris (walkthrough)

December 25th 2005: I released version 1.1

Jump here for the new thread: http://www.svencoop.com/forums/showthread.php?p=354808

The following is for the old version, but I'm not going to delete it.

It's nearly a year since I started making the maps. There's been lots of breaks in the making when I've got bored or had something better to do (i.e playing mmorpgs). Now I've been in the Finnish army for a month and have worked on my holidays to get the series ready to be released. I'm heading back to army after two hours so I don't have much time to read feedback. I hope there's something here when I come back after two weeks...

If you notice any bugs or problems, or get confused where to go or what to do, ask or report here.

Note: It's almost impossible (read: without cheating) to play these through alone, so you need at least two players on the server.

One map takes about half an hour to finish, and there are six maps in the series, so it takes approximately three hours from the beginning to the end.

Couple of screenshots from sc_tetris2, from yesterday's test:

sc_tetris20000.jpg
    sc_tetris20001.jpg
    sc_tetris20002.jpg

Some older screenshots:

sc_tetris10003.jpg
    sc_tetris20000.jpg
    sc_tetris50002.jpg

Feel free to post your own screenshots from the series, but avoid [img] tags so people won't get annoyed.

Thanks to:

- JJ45 for the custom models
    - DiCola for the sky
    - Tuesday's Avenger for the Bigmomma model
    - [Swe]Sneaker for the skin of the Bigmomma

Also special thanks to JJ45 and DiCola for supporting me through the process and giving lots of excellent suggestions and ideas.

Beta testers:
    Acid5, CaptainScarlet, Chorium, DiCola, eewo, Film11, JJ45, Lurid, Ohcanep, ProgramZeta, Puchi, Robootto, The_Oak, Yuicy
    Last edited by A1win; 20-01-2008 at 06:23 PM.

Re: [walkthrough] sc_tetris

Brilliant set of maps - they really do take approx. 3 hours to complete, they are that detailed and immersive. You will wonder where the time has gone!

Some bits are really fun - while others are amazingly frustrating but also have a strange satisfaction to them, especially upon completion! Download it right away and try it out with a few of your mates. See how quickly you can get it done!

Perhaps the best map pack ever. Seriously.

Contributor

THIS MAP GETS A BIG PHAT 10 OUT OF 10!

The most enjoyable and challenging map series since Toonrun

Mirrored: [Download URL Removed; map is included in Sven Co-op 4.0]
    SCC is currently running two dedicated Tetris Servers (located in France)
    62.193.231.69:27015
    62.193.231.69:27017

Contradictive Oxymoron Darthvada's Avatar

Not really impotant, but the first dl link is really slow. Otherwise, this is awesome.
    Last edited by Darthvada; 15-02-2005 at 12:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hezus
    Everything is cool when you can shoot at it.

My grandma is pretty cool.

Contributor

Damn it having problems, server crashes after defeating the shorktrooper boss, crashes wtih:
    Error: could not load file models/player/Kain-9/Kain-9.mdl

Sure it wasn't just your server? Specifically with Kain on it? *not surprised*

Some of the best maps i've played in a long long time

Manager

I only got to play from level 3 to the icky boss battle in level 6(where I left because it was too hard), but what I played until then was pretty good. The battles are well made with plenty of cover, the custom models are really good, and the music is good too. The maps look really cool despite only being made of blocks, but it gets a bit too repetitive to look at after you've played for a while.

5/5 and BOMS.

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Film11
    Sure it wasn't just your server? Specifically with Kain on it? *not surprised*
    Nah the install literally has no modifications, Kain wasn't on at the time but I managed to recreate it on my other server on the same box and the same happened

The maps were outstanding! I loved all the customizations (e.g. textures, models, sounds) throughout the 6 maps. The bosses were great as well. I must say the barnabus and barnacle puzzles were pretty good, as was the the final map's puzzle of the giant cube with generators. I thought the laser turrets that could be temporarily shut down were pretty original.

Rating: 9/10

^Although it was a lot of fun and originality, I must say it was a bit repetetive and could get boring at some points....but definately BoMS

Quote Originally Posted by cscarlet
    Nah the install literally has no modifications, Kain wasn't on at the time but I managed to recreate it on my other server on the same box and the same happened
    Strange, I don't have that model and I didn't get that error :o
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroFish View Post
    Hey guys remember when maps/games were made because the creator wanted to make them, and not because of what people wanted to play?

That was great.

This map is great fun, eVil and i just played up to map 3. I'd also have to agree with csscarlet it's the most enjoyable map since toonrun! Kudos to you good sir .

big wheel down at the cracker factory eViL's Avatar

To say it's the most enjoyable map series since toonrum would be an insult to this map. Maybe it's just that I don't like toonrun, but this series is far better. Excellent maps. The block assasins looked good, too.

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by JJ45
    Strange, I don't have that model and I didn't get that error :o
    I havent got a clue why but it hasn't generated an error since last night and during today whilst I was at work :S

Online name: "Bucket" Numbermind's Avatar

*clicks screenshots*
    EYES EXPLODED

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Numbermind
    *clicks screenshots*
    EYES EXPLODED
    YOU BETTER GET LIFE INSURANCE BEFORE PLAYING!

Quote Originally Posted by Numbermind
    *clicks screenshots*
    EYES EXPLODED
    Perhaps he played too much Tetris in his childhood
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroFish View Post
    Hey guys remember when maps/games were made because the creator wanted to make them, and not because of what people wanted to play?

That was great.

Manager

Awesome map series ! The looks are great, the enviroment almost is all custom made with the nice Tetris-textures and custom models (wich are very nice). The dramatic coloured lighting gives it a additional touch of spicyness. Even tho the textures are the same all over the 5 maps, the settings are really different each map you are playing in. Very good work there ! You can see outside works through the windows and the fitting skytexture behind it.

Gameplay is as awesome as the looks of the map. The difficulty is pretty high even with the large arsenal of weapons you have, this is mainly because of the perfect monster placement. Another medal how you pulled that off. The gameplay is well balanced getting harder with each level and the sequences around the bosses are really really well done. These puzzles need co-operative play to finish them wich is a very good thing too. Good work with shortcuts and spawnchanges wich keeps the gameplayspeed on the maps high.

The signs are making the map clear and there arn't many things I can remember that were not that good. (except for some corridors on tetris5 wich could use some extra detail) You took your damn time on making this map, but it's worth the double

One Word : Brillaint !

My rating :
    9/10

* gets stamp

Contributor

i've only completed 3 of the maps since i havent had alot of time, but so far i have really enjoyed this map series. first of all, the map theme is original, the models and textures, etc work perfectly for it. also there's many interesting things for gameplay and teamwork. oh and i've never been good at the longjump but thanks to your map ive learned to be great at it when i finish playing the maps i might add more comments here

Welcome to hell! Spend your time in hell! I could try to change it but it suits me too well...

i give the maps 15/10

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Slidje
    i give the maps 15/10

I thought you've been around here long enough to know the following. If you do not have anything constructive or somehow "normal" to say than please, simply, do not post, ok ?

Part II
    Map Testing, how does this work ?
    If you want to play new maps and help mappers fixing their maps and give feedback there are a few things to think of :

1. Give Real Feedback
    After testing someones map, write down the bugs you've found and what you thought about it. Post this into the map's thread. Only post constructive feedback ! Posting something like "Your map sucks" is NOT allowed. You are allowed to think someones map is bad but please take a bit more time telling the mapper WHY you thought his map is bad. Give feedback about the gameplay and the architecture/detail level. A rating is nice too, but note that this rating will differ allot depending on who tested the map. A newbie will give 9/10 really quick, a veteran has to be stunned to give at least a 8/10.
    Last edited by Hezus; 17-02-2005 at 06:06 PM.

wow, absolutely amazing. First off, I want to commend you on the cutscenes, they are all very well done, and the ones that are supposed to be funny are- especially the ending. That was awesome. But, of course, the most important thing is how fun the map is to play, and it's great. I like the way the mapset was built, with the first being the most simplistic, showing the players the ropes, etc., then stepping it up in level 02 (gotta love the barnabus puzzle- classic 2D platformer action!) and so on and so forth. The visuals are great, and the sounds are awesome- I like the radio function you put in, 'twas grand. All of the boss battles were well done, but we couldn't kill the level 05 boss with two people- we just didn't have the firepower. Anyway... I give it a 9/10, simply because it is awesome and deserves such a rating. it doesn't get a 10 because of the fact that some of the enemies have too much health, and some of the jumps are quite annoying when one has a high ping.

EDIT: The skybox rocks. It's absolutely perfect, and I have no moore to say on it but- OH MY GOD IT'S SO AWESOME *falls on floor, has seisure*
    You just wasted 3 seconds of your life.

POSSIBLE BUG ** at the end after the credits the map just hangs, meaning it doesnt change to the next map in the cycle, i had to rcon changelevel , after waiting for ages only does it on this map, anyone else confirm this?? btw the map is fantastic very original

Just DLed the map and going to test it out for Frenchys. The screenshots of the enemy grunts looked sweet.

EDIT : Wow, excellent map. As good as the leprachaun series, in length and quality.
    No problems running with amxx on our test run.

(Use EDIT button next time plz -Hezus )
    Last edited by Hezus; 19-02-2005 at 09:04 AM.

I love this map series, or would love it, if I could continiune it. On sc_tetris2, my server quits with "ED_Alloc: no free edicts". Same with my SC-buddy I was testing the maps with. Can anyone help?
    Gina is not ugly! You just have to turn cl_himodels on!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast