Thread: Band watch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Band watch

The Berzerker

www.theberzerker.com

Extreme industrial metal/grindcore at the top of the scale. Active and touring.
    SC2 Staff: Concept Artist

Just asking : What is your favorite movie soundtrack ? Well , im looking for good "orchestra" soundtracks and Lord of the Rings seems to have lots of good songs on that subject... The X-men 2 main theme (rest is a bullshit) is great... Mission impossible main theme rocks... Tell me wats yours ?
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,
    the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Hezus
    A balladeer

Very good band from The Netherlands. The lead singer is a genious, sings perfectly, plays piano and guitar perfectly. I've seen them live at the pub near the Uni and they are just 3 guys with a microphone, a guitar, a piano and a drumbox (such a black box you can drum on with your hand to create the beat). Even with such limited equipment they make such good music. Awesome !

Gerne : Soft rock
    Best : Rumor Had It, Swim with Sam
    Site : http://www.aballadeer.com/
    This band is now being played quite often on national radio here in Holland Seems they got pretty far.

The Fall of Troy

Genre: Progessive Rock
    Status: Holding out, taking a break after the next batch of touring and then heading back to the studio
    Lyrical themes: Sex (not in an obvious way), broken relationships (without sounding whiny)
    Vox: Thomas Erak, Tim Ward
    Guitar: Thomas Erak
    Drums: Andrew Forsman
    Bass: Tim Ward

Best tracks: Rockstar Nailbomb!, The Last March of the Ents (awesome track about war), F.C.P.S.I.T.S.G.E.P.G.E.P.G.E.P. (slower track about dying and leaving people behind; the track title is actually a joke and stands for **** Condoms, Pre-marital Sex Is The Shit: Get 'Em Pregnant, Get 'Em Pregnant, Get 'Em Pregnant!), all of their Ghostship tracks (which'll be part of their next concept album), What Sound Does A Mastodon Make?, Macaulay McCulkin and Tom Waits (title for this one was another joke, because Tom Waits had a song called The Fall of Troy).

Trio (you wouldn't guess by listening to their stuff) hailing from Mukilteo, WA. All the members are very young, and are really talented for 20-21 year olds. And I mean it. Thomas Erak's father used to be a session guitarist for The Eagles. The band's been together since they were all fifteen years old under the name Thirty Years War and released two EPs: Martyrs Among The Casualties and a live one entitled Live at the Paradox. About a year later, they lost a guitarist and agreed on changing their name. Like they did for TYW, they basically just opened up a history book and pointed a finger at a name until they found something suitable, and eventually picked The Fall of Troy.

In 2003 (they were 17-18 years old back then), they recorded their first self-titled LP on Lujo Records. It featured very mathy and complicated guitar and bass-play as well as amazing support drumming from Forsman. Unfortunately, with an indie label comes indie production. They also released a four song demo entitled The Ghostship Demos featuring songs for a later concept album about a spanish galleon and their encounter with a ghostship. Later in 2005, they were picked up by Equal Vision and asked to re-record some of their old songs. They came out with Doppelgänger, a semi-concept album featuring 4 songs from their S/T and seven new songs, which was critically acclaimed by various reviewers from all sorts of genres.

What makes them gold is their live shows. They're simply amazing, and with Erak's loop pedal, he actually can pull off the multi-layered guitars we hear on the records. Often, in between tracks, they play a bit of improv.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fall_of_Troy; http://www.thefalloftroy.com/about/

I really, really, really recommend this band to people if you can take the screaming in songs (do note: this is by no means an "emo" band; the screams are not out of place, they infact sound passionate and...somewhat crazy? Very fitting for their lyrical content and song themes). Also, I may be bashed for this in the future, but Tom Erak may very well be the new Hendrix.

Lyrics, TYW EPs and random media: http://www.maybesheforgot.com/media.htm

Trollech

Genre: Black Metal
    Lyrical themes: Nature

Slavic black metal with an alignment to nature. Very nasty sound.

Lamb Of God
    Genre: Metalcore/Groove Metal
    Lyrical themes: Pain, Misery, Politics, Heresy
    Formed: 1999
    Best: Break You, Laid To Rest, Black Label

Comment: Technical drumming, groovy riffs ... everything a metalhead needs.

SUBLIME

I love this band it's nice and mellow, give it a looksy. I suggest "Wrong Way" "Doin Time" "Date Rape" "Santeria" and "What I've Got".
    Last edited by cwc; 07-06-2006 at 10:27 PM.

Dodge
    They are a good sounding swedish metal band that I place way up there with Soilwork, In Flames, and Scar Symmetry. They sing and do that sort of cool yelling thing that I don't really call a scream or anything. It's like a yelling singing thing.
    I found them at www.purevolume.com/dodge

That place leads to their website and other links. It has 3 entire songs with great quality. That www.purevolume.com website is a great place to hear samples of songs from bands, and it has a lot of bands.

I also found Barman at www.purevolume.com/berman
    They are like Hoobastank, except they don't suck. I mainly like the songs Perfect, Fall off the Earth, Lost Angeles, Life in the Stars, and Paint the Sky or whatever it was called. They're few newer songs on the site sounded kinda boring and too laid back for me though.

And I ran into a band that's most likely permanently dead, but they reminded me of an exact mix of Static-X + Misery Loves Co. www.purevolume.com/bitterman

It's a great website, try it out.

I do like that Dragonforce band Mr. Chris.
    I laugh at Sublime. I have a friend who's obesessed about them. They sound like some weird Jamaican Mexican stereotype thing. They're annoying and weird, singing stuff like "If it weren't for date rape I'd never get laid" in that date rape song in some weird comedy way.

Senior Member (Since 1.9) Mr. Chris's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cwc
    SUBLIME

I am a dummy for putting a mainstream band in a thread for non-mainstream band watch thread
    That crap is mainstream, I guess you get to be victim #1 of MADWHACKing Jonesy

Another entry by me..

Dismember

Genre: Death metal
    Homepage: http://www.dismember.se
    Formed: 1988
    Short bio: Dismember formed in 1988 in Stockholm, Sweden. They are commonly considered to be one of the most important early Swedish death metal bands for their classic Like An Ever Flowing Stream, realeased in 1991 on Nuclear Blast Records.

More information about Dismember by clicking this
    Waiting for SC for HL2

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Chris
    Dragonforce

Hails from:
    London, England
    Genre: Power Metal
    Lyrical themes:
    War, Armageddon, New World Order
    Formed: 1999
    Best: Heart of a Dragon

Originally named DragonHeart, (See Demo) but changed after the realization that there was a band with the same name.
    Maybe it's just here but at my highschool there are over atleast 200 DragonForce fans including me and there song "Through The Fire And The Flames" Is acctually pretty known. Especially since It made a apperance in Guitar Hero 3
    Last edited by yozee; 27-11-2007 at 07:52 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Games I'm Currently Playing: EA Skate,The Orange Box, Gears Of War and last but certainly not least Sven-Coop 3.0 now bring on 3.5

Banned

Band watch

rnHi John,
    rn
    rnNice watch. Is this type of band also the 192mm one with an extractable spring clasp? I find that quite comfortable.
    rn
    rnRegards,
    rnimcprn

Quote Originally Posted by yozee View Post
    Maybe it's just here but at my highschool there are over atleast 200 DragonForce fans including me and there song "Through The Fire And The Flames" Is acctually pretty known. Especially since It made a apperance in Guitar Hero 3
    Wow, I remember how I listened to that band years ago and nobody knew who the hell they were. Then guitar hero came along and all of the sudden 500 fanboys started creaming their pants about how much they loved dragonforce.

For some reason, I haven't enjoyed their music in years...
    [I stoled it from GB, who stoled it from JP][I had the first 4.0B server available to the public]
    [Я достигнул 200 постов в Советском Ко-оп]

And im listening to this "band" lately a lot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H0JDomv8ac
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,
    the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Gonesy View Post
    The Dismemberment Plan

This DC band are fairly unknown in the UK (not sure about the US or elsewhere), I've had an incredibly hard time finding any of their recordings, even in the massive range of fancy Leeds records stores.

The music is pretty laid back and chilled out, mostly due to Travis Morrison's vocals, but was surprisingly different to anything I'd heard at the time. Some of the more recent stuff by other bands sounds pretty similar. One of the songs off Bloc Party's Silent Alarm seemed to remind me a hell of a lot of something off Changes, so it was fairly ahead of its time.

Genre: Friendly punk-rock/alt-rock
    Best Recording: Changes (NME.com Review: http://www.nme.com/reviews/8880.htm)
    are you cereal right now?

REDALiCE
    (releases under his labels ALiCE'S EMOTION and HARDCORE TANO*C)
    Myspace (English): http://www.myspace.com/redalicejp

Origin: Tokyo
    Gerne : Doujincore

He is best known for his remix of the Lucky Star theme. Unfortunately, his work is not available for the most part outside of Japan. His music is similar to Happy Hardcore, and often contains vocals (both real and vocaloid). Most of his solo releases are remixes of other Touhou and Doujinshi inspired tracks.

Some favorites (note that even in 480p, the quality is shit compared to the cd/digital download versions):
    Taboo Tears You Up
    Macrocosm (Collaboration with kazuma)
    Drill Smasher
    Deadline
    Thalia
    Accelerator (Collaboration with Tsukasa)
    North Blue Sky
    Locked Girl
    Vanishing Point
    Are You Hungry?
    Last edited by hrothunder; 17-04-2010 at 02:49 AM.
    [I stoled it from GB, who stoled it from JP][I had the first 4.0B server available to the public]

Contributor

Ah I know REDALiCE. First encountered his songs on the Project Anarchy DDR Packs.
    Really produced some good stuff, although I find Vocaloid rather disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Silencer View Post
    Really produced some good stuff, although I find Vocaloid rather disturbing.
    Miku loves you too.

Banned

now for a good band that no ones actually heard of and is actually worth spending your money on to support

CAPITOL K

genre: GOOD MUSIC

label: planet mu

it's just one dude making decent experimental music

only review i can find of this album

Contributor

CLEANING WOMEN

Genre: Experimental rock

Finland

ive been thought too long what to post in this damn thread for now. a band which exclusively uses every instruments made of cleaning equipment including trash bins, laundry stuff and general cleaning instruments. they have released 3 albums for now which newest is called U.
    fucking youtube doesnt make any justice with its set of uploaded songs, get the U album for more original songs of what i could find. DECENT INFORMATION http://www.badvugum.com/bv2/cleaningwomen.shtml

Sven Co-op animator, beta tester, halfway decent modeler WAR_Nuker's Avatar

Skinny Puppy

text

Contributor

Alek Száhala
    http://alek.szahala.com/

Origin: Helsinki, Finland
    DOB: 4 April 1982
    Genre: Freeform hardcore/NRG

Alek started producing music in 1993 using PC-running trackers. First of his tracks were uploaded into various BBSes under such nicks as BwD, Apofis, Apokala and Apofish. His tracks during early 90's were mainly humorous stuff with lots of samples from various cartoons. He also made lots of co-operations with jazz musician Teemu Vehkala.

He continued to produce music until 2003, where he was noticed by various Finnish harddance DJ's and promoters. Later that year, he performed his first live set at Säde club, and signed his first record contract from Electronica Exposed. He consistently continued to increase his reputation, through vinyl releases by Camel Records, Finrg and EE. His hit tracks, "Ngarnuuk" and "Man eaten", also appeared on one of DJ Proteus' mixtapes "The Hellfire Club" released by Teflon Bullet. Alongside with Carbon Based, Re-form, Epilim and Pain on Creation, he became one of the key members in the development of Finnish hard dance sound. His music varies from very melodic trance to dark, fast and evil freeform. He has performed at such events as Godspeed and Utopia (Sydney), Mayhem 2005, 2006 and 2007 (Brisbane), Pharmacy (Melbourne), Logic (London), NRGetic Romancer (Tokyo), Koneisto and Konemetsä, Finland's leading electronic music festivals.

Alek currently studies computational linguistics and computer science at the University of Helsinki.

Favorites:
    Alanamra
    Anmitzcuaca
    Darkstar
    Dryad Machine
    From flesh to machines

^^^

+1

Tokyo Police Club
    currently active, Indie rock canadian band. Check out traks Your English Is Good, Bambi, and Be Good.
    Brighteyes/ Connor Obrest
    Brighteyes is curently inactive, Connor is still making music with Monsters of Folk and his other band connor obrest and the mystic valley band. Indie Folk/Accoustic. Guy sounds extremly emo but his music rocks. Check out traks Cape Canaveral, Trees Get Wheeled Away and The Big Picture.
    These two bands are signed to Saddle Creek Records, an excellent indie lable.
    Also im not sure if this is mainstream, ive just found this band recently and im not sure of theyre lable but.. Frightened Rabbit
    Im pretty sure its a UK Indie Folk Band check out traks Swim Until You Cant See Land and Floating In The Fourth.

Check Out http://www.grooveshark.com. Its a great place to stream music, a thousand times better than last.fm or pandora

Oooo almost forgot one.
    School of Seven Bells.
    sviib is an indie rock/expiremental band. Im pretty sure they are still recording, but im not sure they just came out with a new album a few years ago called Disconnect from Desire. Theryre music is very etheral and dream like, check out traks Half Asleep, Dust Devil and Windstorm

func_vehicle enthusiaist w00tguy123's Avatar

I've had this band's logo as my avatar for everything ever so I might as well post in here...

Trivium

Genre: Thrash Metal
    Formation: Florida, USA (1999)

The primary reason I listen to this band is because their music is fun to play on guitar (especially with a friend because of the frequent harmonies). Idk if this band is mainstream now, but when I discovered them (around the release of their second album) they weren't. I would recommend anything from Ascendancy or Shogun.

Edit: Ok, I guess the genre should just be "Metal". Some of their songs are thrashy, though.
    Last edited by w00tguy123; 18-01-2011 at 02:28 PM.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Contributor

trivium thrash metal? watwat

tokyo police club, thats sure name

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast