Thread: Band watch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    *****is-not

Band watch

Had this idea while mucking around with the archives.

Lots of people have a favourite band that haven't had much exposure or forever dwell in the musical underground like some form of entertaining badger. Here's a chance for you to tell the forum about the band that rocks yours (and a small minorities) world.

Just make a small profile post listing the name of your band, any trivia, their status (unsigned, signed, touring, split up), their genre (roughly, just makes it easier for people to find stuff that matches their taste) and their best recording or song (in your opinion). Might take a bit of time, but it may be worth it, and you may help someone find a new favourite band.

Now remember this is for non-mainstream/unfamous groups. Preferably, unsigned copies of the bands latest album should be rarer than the signed copies. Anyone putting in "Nirvana", "U2" or god forbid "The Spice Girls", will be MADWHACKED off the nearest cliff.

*****is-not

Re: Band watch

The Dismemberment Plan

This DC band are fairly unknown in the UK (not sure about the US or elsewhere), I've had an incredibly hard time finding any of their recordings, even in the massive range of fancy Leeds records stores.

The music is pretty laid back and chilled out, mostly due to Travis Morrison's vocals, but was surprisingly different to anything I'd heard at the time. Some of the more recent stuff by other bands sounds pretty similar. One of the songs off Bloc Party's Silent Alarm seemed to remind me a hell of a lot of something off Changes, so it was fairly ahead of its time.

Genre: Friendly punk-rock/alt-rock
    Best Recording: Changes (NME.com Review: http://www.nme.com/reviews/8880.htm)

*****is-not

The Teardrop Explodes

My girlfriend takes the piss out of my taste in British eighties-alternative and I'm struggling to find anyone else who likes it. Hopefully sharing this little gem will encourage the masses to join me!

The Teardrop Explodes were a psychadelic group from Liverpool during the eighties who released three albums (two good, one bad) before splitting up.

Genre: Psychadelic Eighties-Alternative
    Best Recording: Kilimanjaro (NME.com Review: http://www.nme.com/reviews/6510.htm). In particular, "Sleeping Gas", "Reward" and "Treason".

Manager

Ignite

Hungarian punkband, with songs about the war in the 90's and other social problem. Not very known band by the general public, but I guess more of the punk-orientated people might have heard of Ignite.

I like their style, clean hard and good music. The singer has a good voice imho wich really fits the song topics. If you're into this music gerne : check it out

Gerne : Punk(rock)
    Best : Run (A Place Called Home)
    Site : http://www.ignitemusic.net

Manager

Dashboard Confessional

Good rock band with load of acoustic guitar play and drums. Just discovered this band a few days ago, although I just have a few songs by them I'm really into it. The lead singer can do many different things with his voice. Normally a good voice for soft-rock, but sometimes he reaches up to a more punkrock voice, wich is really nice.

Really good stuff to sit back for and listen to !

Genre : Rock
    Site : http://www.dashboardconfessional.com/
    Best : Am I Missing
    Last edited by Hezus; 21-03-2005 at 08:54 AM.

Manager

A balladeer

Very good band from The Netherlands. The lead singer is a genious, sings perfectly, plays piano and guitar perfectly. I've seen them live at the pub near the Uni and they are just 3 guys with a microphone, a guitar, a piano and a drumbox (such a black box you can drum on with your hand to create the beat). Even with such limited equipment they make such good music. Awesome !

Gerne : Soft rock
    Best : Rumor Had It, Swim with Sam
    Site : http://www.aballadeer.com/

MykX One

Hardstyle DJ from the UK. Good thumping bassy hard dance music. As far as im aware, its just one guy.

Genre: Hard Dance
    Best: ???
    Site: http://www.geocities.com/mykx611/ukharddance.html
    Last edited by Alpha571; 16-01-2006 at 08:30 PM.

Senior Member (Since 1.9) Mr. Chris's Avatar

Hypocrisy

Hails from: Stockholm, Sweden
    Genre:
    Melodic Death/Atmospheric Metal
    Lyrical themes: Anti-Christ, Satanic (early), Astrology (Recent)
    Formed: 1990
    Best: Buried, Eraser, Seeds of the Chosen one, Slave to the parasites

Began as a solo project of Peter Tägtgren in 1990 under the name Seditious.

The band stated out as a death metal outfit, but overtime they've became more melodic. At one point, they were considered mallcore and to some are still considered mallcore. Overall, today they're close to a melodic-death metal outfit.

Peter Tägtgren is the owner of the famous Abyss recording studio, where many Scandinavian acts have recorded their material. Peter Tägtgren is also a well known producer.

----
    Nuclear Assault

Hails from: New York City, New York
    Genre: Thrash Metal
    Lyrical themes:
    warfare, radiation, politics
    Formed: 1984

Dan Lilker played in an early Anthrax line-up and went on to form Brutal Truth, Hemlock and The Ravenous after leaving Nuclear Assault in 1992. He was also the bassist for Thrash/Crossover super group, Stormtroopers of Death, and had a stint in Holy Moses. He also filled in for a few Dark Angel gigs in 1989 when DFA bassist Mike Gonzalez was arrested!

---
    Dimmu Borgir

Hails from: Oslo, Norway
    Genre: Melodic Black/Symphonic Extreme Metal
    Lyrical themes: Misanthropy, Satan, Anti-christian
    Formed: 1993
    Best: Hybrid Stigmata, Kings of the carnival creation, Metal heart

Dimmu Borgir got their name from some volcanic formations on Iceland - The Dimmuborgir - meaning ``The dark/dim castles/fortresses``.

Dimmu Borgir are one of the first black metal bands to gain mainstream success worldwide

---
    Therion

Hails from: Stockholm, Sweden
    Genre: Death metal (early), symphonic/orchestral heavy metal
    Lyrical themes: Mythology, Occult/Pagan Religions
    Formed: 1987
    Best: Crowning of Atlantis, Raven of dispersion, Blood of Kingu, Lepeca Kliffoth

The word Therion is Greek for "wild beast".
    Last edited by Mr. Chris; 22-03-2005 at 12:25 AM.
    Waiting for SC for HL2

Blodsrit
    Blodsrit are a 4 Peice Black metal band from Sweden. Formed in 1998, by Kettil and Nazgûl, the group wanted to do back to basics as a response to the "sell outs" gaining popularity in the pop music industry such as Dimm Borgir and cradle of filth.

Genre: Traditional Black Metal

*****is-not

Television

Genre: 70's Guitar-wank-fest awesomeness
    Best Album (by a huge margin): Marquee Moon
    Status: No more albums, but they still occasionally tour for the money

Trivia: Marquee moon is the only album I have decided was totally awesome after the first listen, and never really gets too boring.

The owner of Atlantic records refused to sign the band originally for the reason of: 'Jerry, I can't sign this band. This is not Earth music.'

Marquee Moon (the song) is a grand total of 10 minutes and 40 seconds long, and quite possibly one of the best things ever.

Number 3 top 70's album apparently:
    http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/top/70s/index10.shtml
    oh and here:
    http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/page...lbums-alt.html
    and number 8 here:
    http://rateyourmusic.com/lists/list_...st_id_is_14324
    or you could just read this massive list:
    http://hem.bredband.net/b135745/A392.htm

In other words, what are you waiting for?

Forefather

The Forefather project was born in September 1997 in Surrey, England by founding members and brothers Athelstan and Wulfstan. The aim was to create powerful and epic Metal tributes to their Anglo-Saxon ancestors, straight from the heart and of the highest quality. Together they've created a new genre, Anglo-Saxon Metal, the British version of the Scandinavian Viking Metal.

Gerne : Anglo-Saxon Metal
    Best : Ours is the Kingdom, best song: Wudugast & When our England died.
    Site : http://www.forefather.net

Sentenced

Hails from: Oulu, Finland
    Genre: Melodic death/doom metal, later depressive hard rock
    Lyrical themes: Doom, Nature, Depression, Love
    Formed: 1988
    Best: Excuse me while I kill myself, Dead Moon Rising, Phenix, The rain comes falling down.

Sentenced began as a Death Metal band with some melodic elements, with Miika Tenkula on vocals, then progressed to become even more melodic, switching to Taneli Jarva on "North From Here". Jarva departed after "Love and Death", and Sentenced became closer to Heavy Metal, with the new singer. Today they're considered to be suicide rock.

Sentenced 2005 full-length album "The Funeral Album" will be the last from the Band. The band is splitting up after the release, and a few farewell shows.

The Sentenced logo was originally made by Taneli Jarva.
    Waiting for SC for HL2

You guys make stuff look fancy.
    I like Dogfight. Good rock. No annoying punk singing or screaming. Kinda resemble Staind but they aren't despressing. Found them at www.cdbaby.com where they give you 2 minute long samples of whatever songs they give you. That site also has a link to their official website. Most people have heard and liked Another Day or Standing Still.

Wicked Maraya sound good. It's beyond me where to find them because they're only on my metal music channel. I don't think even amazon.com had them. Hardly even mentioned throughout Google.
    The only bands that were that rare to find suckered me into liking them because I heard their 1 good song and every other one sucked. But I can't be sure they're too bad since I've heard 3 good ones.
    One was Winter's Garden and the other I could remember was Face in the Mirror. They didn't sound like metal by far, too calm for that. More like Dogfight mixed with Crossfade.

Mr Chris, you'd be great friends with a fat annoying kid at my school. He loves gothic death doom black stoner grunt metal stuff like that. Sentenced is good.

Dashboard Confessional is so famous they're on MTV Hezus. They still are played on MTV. MTV as in the most mainstream stuff there is. Not my kind of stuff. That guy sounds like he could just cry while singing.

Dragonforce

Hails from:
    London, England
    Genre: Power Metal
    Lyrical themes:
    War, Armageddon, New World Order
    Formed: 1999
    Best: Heart of a Dragon

Originally named DragonHeart, (See Demo) but changed after the realization that there was a band with the same name.
    Waiting for SC for HL2

RAZOR

GENRE: Thrash metal (pissed off sounding almost on every song)
    STARTED IN: 1984

Razor is a top thrash band that has stayed true to their sound album from album. The lyrics consist of being badass, staying true to metal, killing people and sleeping with their women, and overall, pissed off sounding. Their musical style is of fast thrash with a noticable punk influence to their songs. Violent Restitution or Shotgun Justice are two reccomended albums.

HELMET (Hey, can you make a connection between my name ingame and this band?)

GENRE: Metal?/ Heavy modern rock
    STARTED IN: 1989

HELMET can be considered a pioneer in modern rock, and a huge influence to bands like Korn. The difference though is that they do not suck. Helmet play a hard riffing style (drop d), tied with black sabbath influence, and also jazz influence (from Page Hamilton, founder, lead guitarist, and singer). Two parts I dearly love about this band are the awesome, but simple time signatures in their songs, and the way that the drums (exellent), bass, and guitar tie in together. Exellent music to listen to while playing Sven-Coop (I listen to it if I am not listening to STP).

I will post more later.

Belisha

London goth rock, i was pretty dubious at first til i saw them live, i have to say they put on an immence performance, the guys were sweating like bloody... sweaty person, plus they give out free music so its always fun

Gerne : Gothic Rock
    Best : The fall of Evergreen? undecided
    Site : http://www.belisha.com
    Jesus christ monkey balls

Mixmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Jonesy
    The Teardrop Explodes

The Teardrop Explodes "Reward"
    Man i f-ing love that tune!!! Nice trumpet and very bumpy!!
    If you like eightys alternate stuff, how about some of my favs
    Martha and the Muffins - Echo Beach
    Flash and the Pan - Waiting for a train
    Icehouse - Hey Little Girl
    Japan - Ghosts
    Gary Numan - Music for camilians (also found on Alan Partridge!!)
    Wnag Chung - Dance Hall Days

Not my usual soul / disco tunes i agree!
    For all your soulfull house needs, go to--->>DJMrMagics Web Site

Nightwish

The idea of Nightwish was "born" in July 1996 at midnight when Tuomas was spending a night with his friends around a campfire. The first three songs, which were acoustic mood music, were recorded between October and December 1996. At that time the band had three members: Tuomas, Tarja and Emppu.

Region - Finland
    Genre - Rock/Gothic Rock
    Site - http://www.nightwish.com
    Formed - 1996
    Status - Active
    My Fav Song - Wish I Had An Angel

Atrists

-Lead Vocals-
    Name: Tarja Turunen
    Date of birth: 17th of August 1977
    Place of residence: Helsinki, Finland

-Keyboard-
    Name: Tuomas Holopainen
    Date of birth: 25th of December 1976
    Place of residence: Kitee, Finland

-Bass Guitar-
    Name: Marco Hietala
    Date of birth: 14th of January 1966
    Place of residence: Helsinki, Finland

-Guitar-
    Name: Erno Vuorinen
    Date of birth: 24th of June 1978
    Place of residence: Kerava, Finland

-Drums-
    Name: Jukka Nevalainen
    Date of birth: 21st of April 1978
    Place of residence: Joensuu, Finland

---

They are famous in Europe, but not THAT famous in the US, i'd say borderline of the thread rules. They have gotten more into the US more recently though when they were in their first us movie soundtrack.
    Last edited by TwistedX; 25-05-2005 at 10:12 PM.
    Off-Duty Multiplay UK Sven Co-op Admin

Fun Lovin Criminals
    http://www.flcnyc.com

Very versatile band with quite a lot of good qualities. Some blues, hints of jazz, a bit of rock here and there, a whole lot of chill. They're alive and well, making a new album and touring.

Meshuggah
    http://www.meshuggah.net

Trippy, megaheavy, polymetric/-rhythmic metal, quite an experience if you like metal. They're well and alive, with a newly released CD/EP, so check them out.
    SC2 Staff: Concept Artist

[ ? ]

Dreadful Dollface

Danish gothic underground. Prefers to have an atmosphere of "mystical" around them. They are okay. The guitarist is a friend of mine and I'm... somewhat... "familiar" with their previous guitarist/female vocalist....

Site: Dreadful Dollface
    Status: Alive and kicking. Just finished some studio recordings and are going to be warmup for The Crüxshadows in DK later this year.
    Style: Glam rock/goth rock/tragedy metal

BTW: Dimmu Borgir, Nightwish, Meshuggah, Fun Loving Criminals, Sentenced and Therion is pretty known.
    "Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule."
    Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Roland
    Fun Lovin Criminals
    http://www.flcnyc.com

Very versatile band with quite a lot of good qualities. Some blues, hints of jazz, a bit of rock here and there, a whole lot of chill. They're alive and well, making a new album and touring..
    They indeed have some good songs, jazzy and rocking (Scooby Snacks ).

Crap dangit! "Come Find Yourself" is the only album that I do not have.... Anyway:

Super Furry Animals
    http://www.superfurry.com/ (Under reconstruction)

These guys are.... very odd, in a very good way. The closest musical incarnation to schizophrenia you'll probably ever get. However, the diversity and change is a part of the charm. If you like various types of rock, along with good fusion-versions of pop sub-genres (Sorry, that's the closest thing to an accaurate, simplistic description of their music I can cram out), along with a microscopic pinch of emo (?) on some of their works.... check them out. Even if you don't, check them out. They're ****ing good, and chances are you'll find something to like in their music.
    SC2 Staff: Concept Artist

Absu
    Genre: Satanic Black Metal
    Formed: 1989
    Really brutal black metal with incredibly tight drumming, these guys are from Texas, all of their work is outstanding.
    INTERNETINTERNETINTERNETINTERNETINTERNETINTERNETINTERNETINTE RNETINTERNETINTERNETINTERNETINTERNETINTERNETINTERNETINTERNET INTERNETINTERNETINTERNETINTERNETINTERNETINTERNETINTERNETINTE RNETINTERNETINTERNETINTERNETINTERNE

Arctic Monkeys

I actually like this band, supposedly all their music was free at first, and they just released their first cd. Their another British band.

Genre : Rock/soft rock
    Site : http://www.arcticmonkeys.com/

McCarthy

Genre: Jangle Pop
    Lyrical themes: Politics, personal empowerment
    Guitar/vocals/lyrics: Malcolm Eden
    Drums: Gary Baker
    Lead Guitar: Tim Gane
    Bass Guitar: John Williamson

Best tracks: We are bourgeois now, Should the bible be banned, The vision of peregrin worsthorne, Well of loneliness, And tomorrow the stock exchange will be the human race (has some really nice opening guitar that reminds me of What it is by Mark Knopfler)

British band from Essex, some fairly complex lyrics with some quite serious themes sung in a cheery britpop style so the music sounds ironic if that makes sense, sort of like the smiths, the Manic Street Preachers were supposed to be heavily influenced by them also who did two McCarthy covers: We are all bourgeois now and Charles Windsor.
    I just got the CD the other day in the post and it hasn't left the player since

More information at: http://people.umass.edu/mwsances/mccarthy/about.htm

Urge you to check them out, although they might be tricky to hunt down, they only did 3 albums and some singles, 2 CDs were combined into one. "I Am A Wallet" and "Banking Violence And The Inner Life Today", which I've got, and waiting for "The Enraged Will Inherit The Earth".

McCarthy's Lyrics here
    Last edited by Shadow Eliminator; 05-03-2006 at 06:12 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast