Thread: Last Stand Series (Final)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Manager

Last Stand Series (Final)

I'm back with some new maps, and this is my biggest project ever

I started making these maps ages ago (2003), origionally planned was a big horde/assault map but the HL engine limit forced me to split it into 2 parts. Many things changed during the development and the project totaly grew out of hand and now its a 4 maps series.

First 3 maps are normal walktrough with most action styled gameplay (3rd map offers the most puzzles and sequences) and the 4th map is a total horde map. All maps are on the edge of the engine limits so I do not suggest you use cheats or high resource mods because that might cause crashes.

It's possible to play this on your own, altough because of the difficulty level I would recommend 4 - 8 players when you test it.

(enlarged versions of these pictures can be found on my Site)

Download (7,6 megs):
    [Download URL Removed; map is included in Sven Co-op 4.0]

Hope you like these maps ! Comments please
    Last edited by JPolito; 24-12-2008 at 03:59 PM.

Re: Last Stand Series (Final)

Wow look nice. I like the outter building the best. Gj keep up the good work

Scientist Scientist

On the first map when you get to the otis part, otis will always get stuck on you if you get near him. But I'm still playing through, so good so far.

Mapping is an expression... coLera's Avatar

Looks interesting, 2003 you say? Wow took you long time to finish it, I guess you have been bussy . Makes me want to play hl singleplayer again , but first to finish this right away and tell my very harsh and cruel opinion

BTW I dont want to play it alone, so I hope someone has a server out there just begining. I always play with atleast 2ppl, cause I can do some nasty stuff in the map (to THEM hehe)

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by coLera
    BTW I dont want to play it alone, so I hope someone has a server out there just begining. I always play with atleast 2ppl, cause I can do some nasty stuff in the map (to THEM hehe)
    Thanks for comments so far .

It's best you play this with a few more people because some parts can be rather hard on your own to beat. Especially the 4th map (the osprey/base map) needs about 10 players to get the chaos under control. I'm pretty sure that it can hold up to 16-20 players at once.

This one serves you well Colera, because in the last map you can do nasty stuff to other people. In the building you spawn you can use the ladders to go upper part of the building. The hatch closing it off will open as soon the aliens start comming through the portal. When the hatch is open you find a computer with a nice red button just waiting to be pressed .

Alarms and warning messages go off and the ION CANNON(tm) will be activated. Everyone has a little time to hurry to the only safe place in the map : The small bunker outside. The doors will close slowly so people might just be able to reach the bunker in time, the others that are too late will suffer eternal wrath from the nuke-like ION blast that destroys everything that is currently walking around in the base (except for the Osprey and the people inside the bunker). The ION CANNON(tm) needs quite a while to reload after it's been fired so there won't be extreme abuse of it. The whole sequence is simular to the old HLDM crossfire map.

Futher more : after the hatch has opened you can use the teleporter to get into the big tower in the middle of the map, after you are upstairs you can pick up the sniper rifle and you'll have a complete top view from the battlefield. The ideal spot for a skilled sniper.
    Last edited by Hezus; 28-06-2005 at 04:43 PM.

Manager

I played the map with godmode so I can't really comment much on the gameplay, but I did notice that there was a big lack of variety in enemies. You mostly fought Pit drones, shock troopers, massns, a few voltigores and then the single garg at the end. That's not much considering these are 4 entire maps :/
    So I think you could have included a few more different monsters tbh

On the graphics side, I have to say that these are probably the best looking maps I've seen for a long time. Lots and lots of detail, nice lightning, good use of HL textures and It's also good to see that you've used some custom ones for these maps
    All of the maps have ambient sounds, which is an important thing that most mappers unfortunately forgets, so that's also good.

The horde map was well made too. For a horde map to be interesting for a long time, it needs constant action and lots of things to do and explore. You managed to this very well imo. My only complaint is that the osprey has far too much health. 15000 is quite a lot, and I think Osprey only had 8000 or something. I think you should lower it to 10000.

One question, are these maps going to be in 3.5? I think I remember you saying that once.

Definately boms material.

Scientist Scientist

Me and Hezus played it together earlier for like 2 hours. Its pretty good, except you need atleast 4 players when playing. 4.5/5

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Nih
    I played the map with godmode so I can't really comment much on the gameplay, but I did notice that there was a big lack of variety in enemies. You mostly fought Pit drones, shock troopers, massns, a few voltigores and then the single garg at the end. That's not much considering these are 4 entire maps :/
    So I think you could have included a few more different monsters tbh
    I guess thats pretty much because when I started this thing the race X creatures were just implented into SvenCo-op, so they didn't appear a lot back then. That's why I chose race X as my primary enemy. I`ll look if I can put in some of the Xen creatures in a 3.5 version.

The horde map was well made too. For a horde map to be interesting for a long time, it needs constant action and lots of things to do and explore. You managed to this very well imo. My only complaint is that the osprey has far too much health. 15000 is quite a lot, and I think Osprey only had 8000 or something. I think you should lower it to 10000.
    Well, the horde map is ment to hold a lot of players (10+) and the osprey is pretty vunrable when you keep kicking against it with the minigun. I think a brute force of 8 skilled players would down that osprey in a matter of minutes when they are organised. I consider myself a good player and I don't have many problems getting that osprey down on my own as soon you've found the right spots to safely fire you minigun from.

One question, are these maps going to be in 3.5? I think I remember you saying that once.
    Yes, some of the new gamemodes and features will be implented, and if nothing changes its still up for 3.5.

Definately boms material.
    Good to hear that. I think it's a bit unethical to place your own maps into BOMS, so I just wait till a few more people agree with this So if you think I have to move this to BOMS than just scream for it.

These maps looks awsome, ill get a friend and play it for sure.
    Last edited by Bowser; 28-06-2005 at 07:30 PM. Reason: bah, plurals

Level L337 Lich King 0000_Bender_0000's Avatar

Im going to download soon and play! From the screenshots it looks awesome! Is it set in the future or something?
    You shall fall to the might of the scourge!

Architecture ::
    5.0 out of 5.0

Texture Usage ::
    4.3 out of 5.0

Gameplay ::
    5.0 out of 5.0

Fun Factor ::
    5.0 out of 5.0

Overall Rating ::
    4.8 out of 5.0

I found some bugs that need to be fixed (includes texture bugs/misalign/accidents). Also found some vital bugs (unless intended) making it NOT possible to play alone. I guess it's ok for BMS. I was forced to use sv_gravity in the part where I had to return crystal to container and such.

Overall Rating Definitions ::
    0.0 to 0.9 = Horrible, map needs a lot of work!
    1.0 to 1.9 = Poor mapping, the majority of the level lacks effort.
    2.0 to 2.9 = Average, needs some improvements and touchup in most areas of the level.
    3.0 to 3.9 = Fine map, needs improvements and touchup in some areas.
    4.0 to 4.9 = Very Good! Needs a small ammount of improvement or touchups.
    5.0 = Excellent, Best Map of Showcase (BMS)!
    Last edited by Qwerty; 29-06-2005 at 03:34 PM.

I must say the detail is just awesome! However; If this is the "last Stand" against Xen we really shouldn't we see more aliens. Played fine for me, no lag or slow spots. It was actually a bit difficult getting through without being fragged, I kept stopping to look at the detail, hehe. Very nice, would like to see more aliens though, if possible. Man, I can't wait to see what you can do with SC-2.
    More aliens=BOMS.
    Last edited by goanna; 29-06-2005 at 04:36 AM.

Manager

A few bugs and requests:

I think you should add a medcharger in the spawn in the horde map. It takes too long to climb all the way up to the top for a single medcharger.

In the second map, just before you go down the elevator to deactivate the laser fence, you can use the medkit charger through the wall.

Also, in some parts of the maps you have some crates that spawn stuff when they break. Some of the stuff falls down the floor so you cant reach it :/

Edit: 2 more bugs:

In the first map when you have to use the teleport, you can block the doors and mess up the sequence. You can still proceed though. I think you can fix this by making the door kill blockers.

In the first map, otis sometimes mysteriously gets stuck inside you... It seems to happen in other maps with scripted sequences so I'm not sure you can fix it though.
    Last edited by Nih; 29-06-2005 at 03:09 PM.

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Nih
    A few bugs and requests:

I think you should add a medcharger in the spawn in the horde map. It takes too long to climb all the way up to the top for a single medcharger.
    Good idea. I'll note that.

In the second map, just before you go down the elevator to deactivate the laser fence, you can use the medkit charger through the wall.
    Common HL problem. It's not really a big deal tho. Could only fix that by replacing the medkit or deleting it.

Also, in some parts of the maps you have some crates that spawn stuff when they break. Some of the stuff falls down the floor so you cant reach it :/
    Yeah, that's a bit odd. Even though the crates are aligned nicely along the surface sometimes stuff fall through. Lets see if I can find a way to fix it.

Thanks for comments

*****is-not

Saved Hezzie the moral dilemna!

Donated 15NS$ for Sven's Holiday at the Bahamas Puchi's Avatar  
    Artist

i think it was boring.
    overuse of voltigores, and not really a place to hide.
    nice architecture though, however it made the mappack here and there laggy as hell.
    and i have a r9600SE.
    overall nice, but it felt kinda boring. the same stuff everywhere...
    you see a big area and its stuffed with the same enemies as in the big area before...

edit: nothing against BOMS stuff, but somehow almost everything in here was imo boring....
    Do it with passion, or not at all.
    Do not say everything you know. Know everything you say.
    [ MarySP ][ nacl-h2o ][ The next SC Version ♥♥♥♥ing pwns! ][Puchis Maps ]

Crowbar Squad Commander cannonfodder's Avatar

Haha! Nice sig, hezus. But he's not the only omega pimp, this map pack is pro! Holy oh my christ, I am going to get all my friends addicted to this. Nice job. Fun to play, and omega architecture. (The only reason sniper gets the bigtime in front of his omega pimpocity is because he's single handedly coding half life 3.5, other than that though, you're both still omega pimps.)

Dont forget me

Last edited by Bowser; 29-06-2005 at 10:06 PM.

Crowbar Squad Commander cannonfodder's Avatar

Oi, since when did I say you were a pimp? You cheeky mnkey. A real pimp wouldn't need to steal his way in.

Jokings.

Anyway, ill stop posting offtopic now.

very cool map so far

I've played 2 of the 4. The 1st is a bit easy I gotta say I'll tell u what I think by the end

Edit: Played the entire way through... I gotta say my fav map was definetly the end one, and I loved the feature where you could build defences at certain areas

Maybe a little more variety of monsters could make this map perfect

I'll give it a

out of 5
    Last edited by The_6th_Monkey; 30-06-2005 at 07:32 PM.
    Back occasionally after a long break from svencoop

One of the best Maps ever made for Svencoop.

A few Points of constructive criticism:
    - Turrets should be rebuildable
    - the Portal in the End should explode with a big boom - maybe by a Bomb that needs to be planted.
    - slightly bigger variety of monsters, like a zombie here and there

Everything else was just good, nice Lightning, nice Architecture and Atmosphere.
    Last edited by Headcrab57; 01-07-2005 at 04:36 PM.

My guess on the low number of enemys is the high degree of architecture and especially the high detail. You have to sacrifice something when using such high detail and architecture. Must of had fun keeping the w_polys down, hehe.

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Headcrab57
    One of the best Maps ever made for Svencoop.

A few Points of constructive criticism:
    - Turrets should be rebuildable
    - the Portal in the End should explode with a big boom - maybe by a Bomb that needs to be planted.
    - slightly bigger variety of monsters, like a zombie here and there

Everything else was just good, nice Lightning, nice Architecture and Atmosphere.
    Those are good idea's. I'll take them into consideration

Quote Originally Posted by Goanna
    My guess on the low number of enemys is the high degree of architecture and especially the high detail. You have to sacrifice something when using such high detail and architecture. Must of had fun keeping the w_polys down, hehe.
    At the start of it there were more monsters but somehow I though the difficulty might be to high for newbies so I reduced them in some area's or let them spawn in 2 times instead of all at once. And you are right, it saves up on fps because the wpoly is pretty high. You can't imaging how often I completely restyled and reworked area's just to get less wpoly

wow very nice...

it saddens me that you decided to scrap the sound files, those would have brought gameplay out a lot.... i was happy to see you took my idea of the hallway where the lights cut out and the aliens rush at u

gj hezus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast