Thread: SWars Installation

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    The Masked Mapper ])rStrangelove's Avatar

SWars Installation

LINKS:

Powered by www.File-Upload.net
    Swars Installation Map Series (4 MB)
    SWars Shocktrooper & Gaussgun replacement sprites & sounds (100 KB)
    SWars Texture wadfiles (5.74 MB)

Unzip these files into your HalfLife directory.

NOTE: The replacement zip will overwrite some sprites and wave sounds of the shocktrooper and gaussgun. It will NOT change your svencoop version to such a point that other maps will 'feel' rediculous, i guarantee for it. However, if you're afraid of loosing your files, make copies of the files that are in this zipfile.

TIPS:
    - Shoot everything that shoots you and don't let'em hit ya !
    - Pay special attention not to block your teammates view when fighting troopers.
    - Oh, and watch your own satchels - these things hurt !

Plz post everything from bugs to constructive critism. I may add that these very big maps are close to the maximum the HL engine / Worldcraft can compile, so suggestions to add more details somewhere will be most likely ignored by me.

MIRRORS:
    If anyone can upload these files somewhere else and post the mirror links here, i'd really appreciate it. My friend's server has a certain traffic barrier.

Did i forget something ? I think not. Otherwise, just ask.

Happy blasting !

[SOURCE FILES AVAILABLE] ================================

If someone is interested to make some great Starwars / Clonewars maps for Svencoop, gimme a shout!
    Last edited by ])rStrangelove; 21-04-2007 at 06:07 AM.
    Artist/MapDesign
    SWars Project for SvenCoop!

Click if ye dare!

Guilt is obsolete Irregular Hunter's Avatar
    I POSTED FIRST!!!!
    Great job, I'm looking forward to it, downloading now....
    "Remember, the only common factor in all of your dissatisfying relationships is you." - Despair.com

Beta... Its all the maps right???

EDIT

Bastard you posted first.
    "I used to do pretty things with signature spaces. Now I'm out of ideas"

I downloaded the pack, but I will play it tomorrow and give feedback. I've just formatted my computer so tomorrow I will install all my HL and mods.

I will edit this post when I played the mappack

Thumbs up

GoodJob on the maps

Ok lets started

OK everything was great. Architecture, lightning.

Playbility. Oh well, no shortcuts.

The enemies drops ShockRoaches. Isnt there a option to dissable that.

Being beta you havent replaced the Gibs. Shocktropper gibs.

The enemy makes soo much damage. 3 hits and we are dead.

Overall

8/10 (no shortcuts, damage is not equal)

Gj i wait for the full map pack
    "I used to do pretty things with signature spaces. Now I'm out of ideas"

Guilt is obsolete Irregular Hunter's Avatar
    I liked it all apart from the difficulty, I think it's recommened to play with over 8 players
    "Remember, the only common factor in all of your dissatisfying relationships is you." - Despair.com

Manager
    The enemies drops ShockRoaches. Isnt there a option to dissable that.

Being beta you havent replaced the Gibs. Shocktropper gibs.
    You will have to wait for 2.5 to do that.

Looks great. Difficulty is a little hard though. I haven't played it with people yet so I can't comment too much.

Edit: Just played with 2 others. Fun map, but without shortcuts it gets kinda long. Difficulty is bearable, I guess, if you have 4+ people. Great architecture, really looks like Star Wars. Maybe you can come up with a story to go along with the maps.
    Last edited by Aden; 28-06-2003 at 07:50 PM.
    Hellzkitchen Admin

Wheee! Downloading these maps now. I'm gonna rope in some friends to play this later on. I'll post my comments later

Awesome map. Even though it could have used some more enemies, oh well. Maps could have been just a little bit longer in my opinion but there were fine for now .

Accccck two different zips
    Visit my website for the best in Sven Co-op Models : http://www.planetquake.com/aow

R.I.P. AoW 2002-2005

My god... just got done playing it with about 8 people on my server. Id have to say those maps were beautifully done sir, my only gripe is that they end (we all wanted more) and the little shockroaches that pop out. Other than that, awesome work and I hope to see more quality stuff like this from you guys in the months to come.
    Visit my website for the best in Sven Co-op Models : http://www.planetquake.com/aow

R.I.P. AoW 2002-2005

This is a great map. I am a fan of starwars this map is realy great. I love it, I bet any starwars fan would like this map. In next version are u gonna make shock rifles into the blasters, or are you gonna leave em?

Some things I didn't like were. Shock troopers bleeding green blood. Shock trooper gibs well I fixed that by replace the gibs with human gibs. shock roaches, if ur gonna do the alien in storm trooper's back back then u need a back pack .

Wow, thx for all the great comments. Let's see what we have so far:

SHORTCUTS:
    Only the 1st map has shortcuts. There are doors that will open once the crate area has been solved. There's a bonus room to fill up shields and ammo. From there you can easily go to the 3rd room (another hangar).

I had difficulties making shortcuts in the other 2 maps because of huge height level differences. Plus the overall maplayout didn't turn out as i had planned (mostly because of vis reasons to keep the fps low). Hmmm. I'll take a look into the 2nd and 3rd map, but the 1st map is well equipped with shortcuts (i think).

SHOCKROACHES:
    As soon as the next Svencoop version is out, this will be fixed.

SHOCKTROOPER GIBS:
    I wanted to keep the use of replacement models to a minimum. Sure, you could turn around your whole svencoop version to suit a starwars universe, but that's up to the ppl and i didn't want to force them to do that just to play my maps.

You may ask the nice ppl on the H.I.T. forums to post starwars replacements.

TO HARD, NOT ENOUGH ENEMIES:
    That's exactly what i had in mind. I didn't want the player to fight 20 Troopers at once, i wanted a feeling like in the movies. Plus less Troopers means more fps.
    So every Trooper is a little match for you. You have to use cover and teamwork to your advantage. These Troopers have certain fire patterns they will follow, it's a big help once you get used to it. Keep dodging side to side when fighting them and aim for their heads ! Blaster shots hurt !
    Don't let them hit you. The rule to remember is: you will die before them if you take hits.
    Besides: grenades are good to confuse them for 2 seconds.

It's hard to find a setting that will suit everyone, because it has a lot to do with personal taste. This is a coop mod after all, it's supposed to be not that easy.

I myself can complete every map with around 6 deaths with 15 min of playtime. There are tricks like shooting generators to get rid of hazards and it helps to search dark corners and high places for hidden equipment (medpacks, batteries and ammo).

# OF PLAYERS
    There are start positions for 16 players.

STORY
    A short story can be found in the motd textfile that appears when launching a LAN game. Only on the 1st map though.

NOT LONG ENOUGH
    As mentioned before, these maps are near the maximum Worldcraft can compile. I had serious issues and had to cut everything down a month ago. (It was supposed to be 1 map)

THE MAPS END
    Yes, these are walkthrough maps, no arenas. I'll release everything mappers need to make more swars maps. It took me 6 months to make this little series and i don't know if i got the time to do more. (HL2 is on the horizon)

That's it. Keep up the good comments !
    Artist/MapDesign

Click if ye dare!

Contributor
    I'll take a look at this map ASAP!

Contributor

Re: SWars Installation

Originally posted by ])rStrangelove
    MIRRORS:
    If anyone can upload these files somewhere else and post the mirror links here, i'd really appreciate it. My friend's server has a certain traffic barrier.

Did i forget something ? I think not. Otherwise, just ask.

Happy blasting !
    After Postal2 has removed there link which has literally sucked my bandwidth dry and its July 1st I would be happy to host it

Thumbs up

Thx, that would be awesome !
    Artist/MapDesign

Click if ye dare!

Ahh.. just played the map with another friend. Quite a good map. Great architecture and lighting. It has some issues though.

Fights with the Storm Troopers are quite fun, although I do wish there could have been some variety to the enemies we fought. Kinda difficult to make the HL monsters fit into the SW universe though so I understand.

I thought map 1 was pretty good with a good mix of puzzles and fighting.

Map 2 was a bit more meh'ish. I think what really irritated me about the map was the lack of shortcuts/moving spawns. You said shortcuts were hard to build into the maps, how about you just move the spawn points? For map two, maybe move the spawn either before or after the evil jumping thing of doom. The jumping thing is also quite difficult though it's a nice touch.

Map 3.. the troopers barracks was pretty dfficult to handle with 2 persons.. still, prolly easier to handle if there's more people in the server.

I think the only real issue I have with the maps is the lack of shortcuts, especially in level 2. Didn't manage to complete the whole of level 2 either because of the jumping thing..

You have got a pretty neat map when it comes to architechture and textures and model replacement. but....

You have no sense of gameplay!!

Where were the healthpacks? Where was the extra ammo? A maze is just anoying, the enemies are too hard and the amount of weapons is just too low. Sorry man, fix that and do something about the atmosphere, it didnt came over to me as "Star Wars" it was just anothing SC map with SW textures.

im a cop you idiot The-Real-Game's Avatar
    First of all, I have to say looks wise this map is pretty damn good. The atmosphere is very star wars like in all the areas.
    The puzzles elements were pretty decent also, for example the laser force field.

But

Gameplay (sorry to be so blunt) is extremly poor.
    Apart from some of the puzzles it is not at all fun or entertaining. The first maze bit just became annoying after 5 or so minutes. The lack of shortcuts seriously needs to be addressed, as it pulls the gameplay even further down.
    The actual battles with the storm troopers were poor too, it was nothing like in the film, it just didn't have that feeling of ducking behind cover and firing shots back and forth.
    On the first map after going through the maze and finding the room with grenades we came to the next part, and both doors were locked, and there seemed to be no where to go next. We stopped on the third map as the battle with 40 stormtroopers got so tedious after a while.

You simply must improve the gameplay, the map itself is mostly good, but it's just no fun to play.

The OP is a nub

Originally posted by Creeping Death
    it was just anothing SC map with SW textures.
    And nice textures they are too This has probably been answered somewhere else, but did you actually make these yourself or rip them from Jedi Knight II?

Texture are made from scratch, some from ref pics of the movies.

GAMEPLAY SUX ?
    I can't quite understand why the last posts say gameplay was no fun.

The 1st map is nothing more than a trooper shooting gallery. That is because i wanted ppl to get used to fighting the troopers.
    Most of the later puzzles (2nd and 3rd map) are especially designed for coop play, these maps are where most of the brainwork did go into.

AMMO & HEALTH
    Don't rush through the maps like crazy. Ammo, weapons and medipacks are there, hidden somewhere in the maps (no, there are no secret doors that look like walls, just search on top of crates or behind corners).
    Apart from that ppl can heal each other a bit.

DOORS ARE LOCKED
    These are either doors that open once a certain area has been completed or normal doors where the buttons are within a few meters. It's not like you have to search for buttons, i personally hate that. If you can't see a button next the door, try to go another way.

THE 40 TROOPERS PUZZLE
    Did anyone use the auto cannon there ? It's doesn't take much time to waste the 40 troopers. There is a corner next to the cannon, where you can hide away but still can swing the cannon left to right while firing. This should get rid of the Troopers quite fast, especially when there are more players.

Other way is to confuse troopers by firing / throwing grenades from teh cannon position while another player tries to climb around these vent exits. He has to break through, press the button for the bridge (at cannon position) and if he can do it, press the button right of the barracks to seal the barrack doors forever.

(Sounds nice in theory, but it's quite tricky to do in the matrix, i admit. It is no doubt the hardest puzzle in the maps.)

STARWARS ATMOSPHERE
    Starwars textures, level design and models, what else to do for Starwars atmosphere ? Are you sure you installed the SWars replacement zipfile ? Those sounds / sprites should boost atmosphere even further.
    I know that some ppl didn't DL the replacement package, i took a look into the server logs. Plz don't complain about lack of atmosphere then.

MORE SHORTCUTS
    Yes, it would be a bit tricky to add these, but i'll take a look at that. Promised.

WALKTHROUGH
    I could make a walkthrough doc with screenshots if you guys want. Although the map layout isn't that complicated, it helps to play the map series several times.
    Artist/MapDesign

Click if ye dare!

The 1st map is nothing more than a trooper shooting gallery. That is because i wanted ppl to get used to fighting the troopers.
    Exactly! That's no fun! There's not real goal in the first map other then run through a maze with stormtroopers all over. People got used to fighting, believe me.

AMMO & HEALTH
    Don't rush through the maps like crazy. Ammo, weapons and medipacks are there, hidden somewhere in the maps (no, there are no secret doors that look like walls, just search on top of crates or behind corners).
    Apart from that ppl can heal each other a bit.
    I NEVER ever, saw health anywhere. I constantly called Gameh for medication. I did saw ammo, here and there somewhere.. not enough, remember the guass cannon only has 100 rounds, no reload. tis anoying to fight stormtroopers with a crowbar.
    DOORS ARE LOCKED
    These are either doors that open once a certain area has been completed or normal doors where the buttons are within a few meters. It's not like you have to search for buttons, i personally hate that. If you can't see a button next the door, try to go another way.
    It was at the end that we couldnt open up any doors. there were NO buttons, nothing, take a look at it, maybe its a bug, but we couldnt open it.
    THE 40 TROOPERS PUZZLE
    Did anyone use the auto cannon there ? It's doesn't take much time to waste the 40 troopers. There is a corner next to the cannon, where you can hide away but still can swing the cannon left to right while firing. This should get rid of the Troopers quite fast, especially when there are more players.
    We did and it got boring...
    STARWARS ATMOSPHERE
    Starwars textures, level design and models, what else to do for Starwars atmosphere ? Are you sure you installed the SWars replacement zipfile ? Those sounds / sprites should boost atmosphere even further.
    I know that some ppl didn't DL the replacement package, i took a look into the server logs. Plz don't complain about lack of atmosphere then.
    Yes i did install the pack, how about some ambient sounds. there is no audio that sounds like the deathstar (assuming that's where this took place), at all. people forget this often, but ambient sounds are IMPORTANT. it creates atmosphere. its the little things that count.

There are plenty of starwars sounds in this map. are you deaf?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast