Thread: central_bunker final

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

[B]mapp0r[/b] ... umpf this dont work mu]['s Avatar

central_bunker final

Hi guys

This is my new map for svencoop (unfortunately only for the steam version, because of the "out of sfx_t" error )

Story: You stand in front of the "Central Bunker", the biggest facility after blackmesa(you only get to see a small part of it because it's too BIG ... ). But the scientists discovered a strange substance, which is too dangerous! You must destroy it! There are also other weird things going on...

Note: This map is a "walkthrough". You can play it alone but this would be hard and boring.

UPDATE AVAILABLE!!! (GMT 27.8. 18:15)

Link: http://www.hlrse.net/vhe/mu_X/central_bunker.zip thanks to Qwerty (Radant Falx)

Here the link for the 56k freaks (only the .bsp, if you don't have the other stuff it won't work): http://www.hlrse.net/vhe/mu_X/central_bunker_bsp.zip

Try to find the secret area and
    Have fun

Regards,
    mu][
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	central_bunker0003.jpg 
Views:	869 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	10658   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	central_bunker0004.jpg 
Views:	639 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	10659   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	central_bunker0005.jpg 
Views:	564 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	10660  
    Last edited by mu][; 27-08-2005 at 11:19 AM.
    "][" stands for "X" and not "H" !

Tester

Re: central_bunker final

wow. I dont know how long you map but this map look really good. The terrain looks really good too I try it out some time.
    Born to Fight,
    Trained to Kill,
    Taught to Survive,
    and told to take no Prisoners.
    Visit http://www.youtube.com/NostalgicGames

Detective Harry Callahan hydeph's Avatar

this looks cool. i really like the terrain, it almost looks real-ish for the hl engine

Not sure if this is intended or a bug, but sometimes the enemies dont do or take damage, and they give out alien blood etc.. So sometimes we just shoot the enemies and they never die. Supposed to be that way?
    Walking in the World of Warcraft.

Are the enemies supposed to be shooting at the plants you put in the map???

Ok, now we get the no_free-edict error after we kill the voltigore and deactivate the power. Then it crashes to desktop..
    Last edited by Stoked; 03-07-2005 at 09:50 PM.
    heal to be healed....

kill or be Killed!

The blood colour are always monster default. I don't know why they give out alien blood.
    Sometimes if you kill an enemy with a grenade or something explosive, the enemy will not disappear. Than you can walk through it and you can't kill it or it can't kill you. That's a bug of the old hl engine i think.
    Do the enemys shoot on the plants in the plant-pots??
    They only shoot on the outer plants because i've unfortunately forgotten to make them a "cycler" instead of a "monster_generic"
    A no free edicts error. I don't know never heard about an error like this, sorry. Does hl close after this error?
    Last edited by mu][; 03-07-2005 at 04:07 AM.

No, you misunderstand me mu][ ..
    I think it mainly happened with the soldiers, but also some turrets that when i were looking at them, their hp and name didnt show up, no nothing.. They were shooting at me without killing me and vice versa.. I know of that HL bug, but this bug i have never seen before.
    Walking in the World of Warcraft.

Thumbs up Re: central_bunker final

Congratulations mu][,

after the Beta-Testing the map goes final ! Beta-Testing was really funny, because we found some amazing bugs^^ do you remember the elevator !

Mu][ didn´t recognize the enemys were shooting on the plants indoor... only at the beginning...

Greetz

MoLe

P.S.: Did someone find the secret area?!?

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by MoLeFiGhtEr
    P.S.: Did someone find the secret area?!?
    Found it

Ok, just playtested this and I must say the workout is really nice. Most area's look pretty good and it has a nice ambience. Gameplay is quite hard tho and sometimes a bit unfair imho, like the (semi)bosses you made. A 2000 hp HWgrunt is a bit over the edge and a little storage rooms with 15 sentryguns goes beyong reasonable too. The loads of enemy's together with the high r_speeds spreads havoc on your fps in some area's.

I guess the bug with the blood is because of the plants you used. As soon a plant model is in your line of fire the enemy will have yellow blood. Maybe you can change them to monster_furniture. This would stop the enemies from attacking the bushes outside too (wich was a pretty funny sight tho )

So, overall the looks are good but some gameplay issues are less entertaining and annoying in some cases. I guess you need quite a high playercount to beat this map with only a few deaths because I had 40 deaths while playing it on my own the first time. But the rest was pretty fun and the endboss-sequence is pretty good too.

Rating : 7.5/10 - BOMS approved, congrats

Now where is my stamp ? ah, there..

Turrets can't kill you.... ahh.. perhaps you are too far away

Maybe...or you´re standing behind the door^^

Looks great

looks great, gunna download it now

When i tried to run it or switch to it i got this message

Host_Error: PF_precache_sound_I: Sound 'garg/gar_alert3.wav' failed to precache because the item count is over the 512 limit.
    Reduce the number of brush models and/or regular models in the map to correct this
    Last edited by snake logan; 03-07-2005 at 07:20 AM.

Architecture ::
    5.0 out of 5.0

Texture Usage ::
    5.0 out of 5.0

Gameplay ::
    0.0 out of 5.0

Fun Factor ::
    3.0 out of 5.0

Overall Rating ::
    3.3 out of 5.0

This does not deserve BMS because of the elevator in the beginning of the map (unless it is fixed). You can easily bug it up since it was made to function with 4 different buttons. I don't know how I did this though - but next time I died when I was down below, I came back to the elevator and the elevator was at the bottom of the shaft (as usual), but the door to the shaft was open. When I called up the elevator, it came up - then the door to the shaft closed which made it impossible to continue now since you can't re-activate the button.

Please make the elevator much simpler by using 2 or less func_buttons instead of 4. Again, I don't think map deserves BMS until this is fixed and I can properly play the map. ;o Just my opinion.

EDIT :: Elevator bugged up within less than 10 minutes of single-player gameplay.

Overall Rating Definitions ::
    0.0 to 0.9 = Horrible, map needs a lot of work!
    1.0 to 1.9 = Poor mapping, the majority of the level lacks effort.
    2.0 to 2.9 = Average, needs some improvements and touchup in most areas of the level.
    3.0 to 3.9 = Fine map, needs improvements and touchup in some areas.
    4.0 to 4.9 = Very Good! Needs a small ammount of improvement or touchups.
    5.0 = Excellent, Best Map of Showcase (BMS)!
    Last edited by Qwerty; 03-07-2005 at 12:52 PM.

Question Re: central_bunker final

umpf...
    -->elevator
    I played it a thousand times and the elevator never had a bug.
    You are really good
    The elevator should be something where you must wait, so nobody runs around without other people.
    It should be a -->staging area<--. So the people on public servers will run around in groups(and it's more realistic )
    Ok, i think i must fix it but: How can i build an elevator with two buttons??
    I've no idea to fix it / to make it simpler :/
    4 buttons are standart, i thinked this would be foolproof

First off: elevator worked fine for me. Nice looking, good architecture and texture use. Gameplay was good, some clever spots. However; 1800+ w_polys and 40,000+ e_polys is a bit too much even for high end machines to handle. You really need to get them down if you want to see many people playing this map. For this reason alone it shouldn't be in BOMS. This is the problem people will run into when going for high a architectual design with high detail. Have you done any "null" texturing? If not for the high r_speeds this would be a fun map. Oh, and as Hezus has already pointed out lower the health on that HWgrunt, yikes! Those turrets in the small room were a bit much too. I didn't finish the map due to the high r_speeds, made it hard to hit targets.

Edit:
    Hezus, I'm running a gforce 5200, 256meg card and I'm not real happy with it's performance at times. I'm more concerned for people still on slower machines with low end cards trying to play this map. The r_speeds is the only issue I have with with this map. Such a nice all around map shouldn't be interupted with bad spots.There will come a time when these people will be left behind, SC2 for instance utilizing the source engine. I've spent several hours on my own resent maps trying to reduce r_speeds and it does take a bit of extra effort but the outcome is worth it.
    Last edited by goanna; 05-07-2005 at 05:24 AM.

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by goanna
    I didn't finish the map due to the high r_speeds, made it hard to hit targets.
    The r_speeds were high on some parts, although I didn't have too much of a problem playing it on my OCed Radeon 9800 Pro. But you could still try to rework some area's and try to do some optimisations there. Every poly that you lose helps, and reducing the monstercount or let them spawn in 2 times would save a lot too.

I havn't experienced any problems with the elevator tho.

I bet it involves the following entities: func_button, multi_manager, path_corner/track.
    As illustrated:

You are at the top floor, and you press either of those buttons - the elevator will travel down to the 2nd path_corner/track and stop there. The reset or delay before the func_button can be used again is the amount of time it takes for the elevator to get down to the 2nd path_corner/track.

Now you're at the base floor of the illustration. Press a button and the same action happens - but the elevator goes back to its 1st path_corner/track and stops. You'd have to use a multi_manager, I'm sure.

I've seen it done before, but I don't know how to do the reaction of the elevator stopping at each of its waypoints (path_corner/track). Someone else on these forums might know, or you could try SnarkPit or some other HL Mapping Tutorial website.

EDIT :: As for the door following the elevator down - that'd force the multi_manager to be involved.

Contributor

Awesome map, very high quality.

1st problem: the big metal door infront of elevator never opened and the red lights never turned off on the 3rd time i played map.

2nd problem: the elevator door was closed when we were supposed to go in it, but it opened after the elevator started moving (happened once).

Really great map, nice textures, gameplay, good for lots of players too . I like the detail and nice archtectural styles.

honestly that first screen shot has the best terrain ive ever seen in a hl map!!! good job :P
    "Yeah, so she was talking about how she thinks it wont work, then she started yapping about how i never listen to her but i dunno i wasnt really paying attention"

Question Re: central_bunker final

ok, now you fixed the no free edicts error when we turn off the power. Now we get the no free edicts error on the second major button push after the water.
    So what is everyone talkin about here, and why is a map in best of maps if a majority of us cant even finish the thing because of this error..
    Last edited by Stoked; 09-07-2005 at 03:27 PM.
    heal to be healed....

kill or be Killed!

Lightbulb Re: central_bunker final

sorry for this error but i tested the map very often and i found no bugs like this
    i have read there are too many entities, i'll delete some and
    i'm going to fix the r_speeds too (hopeful) and the hw_grunts

@ goanna
    I've got a Radeon 9600Pro and have no problems with r_speeds or something like that

At last one question: is there a difference between "sky"- and "null" texture?

edit: if i make a trigger_push at the elevator doors, the elevator should work fine because you cant block them...

edit: if i make a trigger_push at the elevator doors, the elevator should work fine because you cant block them...
    I don't know... =/

sky texture will display the skybox.
    null on a face of a brush will make it not be rendered. For instance, I have a cube covered in white but for one side which is in null. All sides will appear white but on the side with null - that side will not be rendered or shown.

In console, type developer 1 then r_speeds 1. Exit console and go back to testing. You don't want your w_poly to go over 1000, average w_poly though should be around 800 or less.

Ok, i updated the map
    plants were fixed
    hwgrunt is weaker
    less turrets in turretroom
    some text fixes
    and r_speeds
    NOTE: if you set r_speeds to 1 the map will be laggy!!
    setting it to 0 will stable the FPS

Please follow the same link as before!

Sucky sucky, love you long time ]SK['s Avatar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast