Thread: Large 490 Map Pack - Part 2

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Sucky sucky, love you long time ]SK['s Avatar

Large 490 Map Pack v2

Notice

This is the second time ive posted this map pack on these forums. If you downloaded the previous one, replace it with this one as this doesn't contain the annoying custom weapon wav files like the previous. These came included with one of the maps within the map pack. Bad mapping imo! These sounds can be removed. Simply goto \svencoop\sound\weapons\ and delete the dryfire1, glauncher, glauncher2, hks1, hks2 and hks3 wav files.

Description

A huge svencoop map pack containing 490 maps. The download is an .exe installer. I too hate installer's as the last thing I need is more Start Menu shortcuts and uninstall options appearing in 'Add/Remove'. This installer however only is used to extract the archive and to locate the correct svencoop directory on your PC, making the install progress so so simple. It will not leave any new software, other than the maps, on your pc. The installer is also gives much better compression ratios than a standard zip file. Because of this high compression ratio the map pack might take a while to install.

The maps, contained within this map pack are not created by myself. They are the work many talented individuals. All credit is due.

Information

Size Compressed: 696Mb
    Size Uncompressed: 1.90Gb

I didn't make the pack any larger as some people I know would like to burn it to a CD for future use.
    Designed for Steam not Won. Although you can get it to install into a custom directory.
    It took a fair few hours to script, build, compile and upload. Please say what you think of this map pack, I like to think this was worth my time. A thank you post will help justify that.

FAQ

What if a newer version of these maps are released. Won't this just install the old version again?

This map pack will NOT, I repeat NOT overwrite any existing maps on your install, UNLESS they appear older. This means if you download any newer versions of any map's and then run this installer it will not attempt to install the older version on top of the newer one. Another reason why an installer is better than a zip file.

Map Listing

Download

HLRSE - Thanks QWERTY
    SCCentral - Thanks cscarlet
    cozmicshredder.com - Thanks CosmicShredder
    Last edited by ]SK[; 03-01-2006 at 07:25 AM.

Re: Large 490 Map Pack - Part 2

Almost 500 maps and no horsecock7? If it were a torrent I'd dl it, but since I already have 90% of those maps I think I'll pass.

490 maps and u missed mine lol
    Back occasionally after a long break from svencoop

Scientist Scientist

Jesus, thats a big download. Well good job, I'm sure that list will get bigger and bigger.
    New Map Under Construction: Audacity

Path To Greatness Final (When or IF I finish it) (97+%)

Let Vengeance Be Mine! CozmicShredder's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Large 490 Map Pack - Part 2

Oh my what big file you have made!

I didn't aim to get every map, like I said in the first post it was made to be less than 700Mb to fit on a CD. I will most likely make a second one but that's going to be some time away. Obviously its hard to make a map pack and also have each map at the latest version. When it comes to building it I might make a forum post asking what map's I may have missed that people would like to see on the list.

Oh and while im at it, anyone got any suggestions for mirroring this file? I've seen plenty people bitch about FileFront, instead of bitching find me a somewhere else to host it. It's not that simple to find 700Mb of web free space.

Now before zillions of people download this pack, are you sure that the maps you included are in their latest version?

They are up until they get updated. I know that sc_tetris and sc_KscT_1a are going to be updated. Anyway it would be impossible to make a map pack with all maps being their final version after 1 month of releasing a map pack.

Daft question alert?

Quote Originally Posted by ]SK[
    Oh and while im at it, anyone got any suggestions for mirroring this file? I've seen plenty people bitch about FileFront, instead of bitching find me a somewhere else to host it. It's not that simple to find 700Mb of web free space.
    So now they are bitching about filefront?!?!Since when was filefront bad?Its just the lazy ppl that dont want to sign up...I would understand if they complained about fileplanet,but...filefront??!!?

absolute cherry

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic
    So now they are bitching about filefront?!?!Since when was filefront bad?Its just the lazy ppl that dont want to sign up...I would understand if they complained about fileplanet,but...filefront??!!?
    Filefront does not require registration to download, and 99% of the time there's no need to wait in line either because of the large amounts of servers they got up.

Nice map pack. I think it should have a link included on the download page on svencoop.com.

I am trying to get it on FilePlanet too. That's at least two mirrors. FileFront is getting better, they are kinda up and down recently because they have been overwhelmed with their free unlimited hosting for files.

ill send a file request to ausgamers.com for my australian mates over here

As I walk through the shadow of the valley of Death, I shall fear no evil, for the valley's are gone, and Death awaits, and I am the Evil

That would be great. Ive tried to find places to mirror it but haven't been so successful.

*Edit*

I notice they request a direct download URL for the upload request to work. I have one but I cannot make it public. I can however use it to submit to file mirrors. I will submit it to ausgamers myself.

The_6th_Monkey - Do you have a working URL for your map? Maybe why it was skipped in the first place.
    Last edited by ]SK[; 05-09-2005 at 06:30 AM.

HL2:Lost Coast reqs: 3.2ghz CPU, 1 Gig RAM (Fark!!) LaggedRabbit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G.Ballblue
    Now before zillions of people download this pack, are you sure that the maps you included are in their latest version?
    Just quoting G.Ballblue because he's making a very good point

]SK[
    for example:

if Waterflow_beta by Fourth Letter is updated tomorrow will you remove that 600 meg pack from FileFront and replace it with one with Fourth Letter's newer map version ?

And then if Whiskey by Taggard is updated a few days after that, will you remove that 600 meg pack from FileFront and replace it with one with Taggard's newer map version ? .. again

And then if dead_zone_4 by Goanna is updated a week later, will you remove that 600 meg pack from FileFront and replace it with one with Goanna's newer map version ? .. again and again ? ... etc .. etc ..

I ask because a Server admin who d/l's that pack will eventually be running old map versions and wondering why no one is ever joining his server..

There's also new maps and updated maps coming out every week ?
    So a great big map pack could only really stay current for about a week.

You should put a date in the file name (e.g great_big_mappack_050905.zip) otherwise there could also end up different versions of your map pack on other mirror sites :O

It's a nice idea to have one great big pack of all maps
    .. but it doesn't work in reality.
    (It could also cause chaos in the SC gaming community if everyone is using different map versions)

Take a look at the archive section on Svencoopcentral to see about 5% of all old version maps.. there's lots of em !
    (\ (\
    ( ò.ó)
    C(_(")(")
    It's "defo MAOAM" © from the Bulletpain online media conglomerate

No I wont, this map pack is final. I will also take this opportunity to mention about updating...

This map pack will NOT, I repeat NOT overwrite any existing maps on your install, UNLESS they appear older. This means if you download any newer versions of any map's and then run this installer it will not attempt to install the older version on top of the newer one.

I will add this to the first post as this might be a concern for a few people.

I have already said this on my forum post on my forums. I just forgot to mention it here. It does also state this on the licence screen of the installer.
    Last edited by ]SK[; 05-09-2005 at 06:54 AM.

I'll offer to host a mirror for this pack if you need it. :-X HLRSE gives you a nice smack dab 400 KB/sec download.

The more the better.

Four mirrors added
    Last edited by ]SK[; 06-09-2005 at 01:31 AM.

Let Vengeance Be Mine! CozmicShredder's Avatar

Ok I just added this map pack to my downloads it's in the main downloads featured section!

Wow took like three hrs to upload it though!

People have to register before they download it...

Quote Originally Posted by CozmicShredder
    Wow took like three hrs to upload it though!
    3 hours would be ideal for me. Ive uploaded this same file about 5 times now, each taking just under 8 hours. Crappy 256k upload.

cheers for the aussie link, im downloading it now

As I walk through the shadow of the valley of Death, I shall fear no evil, for the valley's are gone, and Death awaits, and I am the Evil

lol. It took 200 seconds for SK to upload 694.44mb to HLRSE at 3 some megabytes per second. X'D

If only I had a connection like that for myself

http://www.svencoop.com/forums/showt...ghlight=actual

save target as on the link inside the thread
    Back occasionally after a long break from svencoop

Doesnt work for me, invalid 7k zip file.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast