Thread: Xen Mesa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Xen Mesa

=============================================

Xen Mesa

Briefing
    --------

Many years have passed since the Black Mesa incident, the Xen crisis is over and humans have began serious research in Xen. The research facility was built inside Xen and operated by some new scientists, headed by some survivors from Black Mesa, who's first hand experience was key.

The only way in and out of the facility is via teleportation to and from Black Mesa, the facility is in constant communication with earth with security measures to keep out the wild life and allow the researchers to work safely.

Several hours ago, the communications link went down, a small team of trained personnel will be sent in, you are that team. Find out what has happened and restore communications before you pull out.

Suggested players: 2-5

This is a work-in-progress, many of the below screenshots are subject to change at any time...

Intro screenshot 1
    Intro screenshot 2

Screenshot 1*NEW*
    Screenshot 2*NEW*
    Screenshot 3*NEW*
    Screenshot 4*NEW*
    Screenshot 5*NEW*
    Screenshot 6*NEW*
    Screenshot 7*NEW*
    Screenshot 8*NEW*
    Screenshot 9*NEW*
    Screenshot 10*NEW*
    Screenshot 11*NEW*
    Screenshot 12*NEW*

Sound interesting? Ideas are welcome(and needed), constructive criticism only, remember you haven't actually played this map yet :P

Currently the map will consist of 3 parts:

• xenmesa.bsp - optional intro movie that can be viewed to get a better idea of the story behind Xenmesa, also includes a waiting room to wait for other players to not only download the much smaller file for the intro but also to predownload part A.
    • xenmesa_a.bsp - Main map starts
    • xenmesa_b.bsp - Main map continues and ends.

Current Progress
    ------------------

xenmesa = 100%
    xenmesa_a = 90%
    xenmesa_b = 10%

Overall = 67%

Potential release date: When it's done.

Screenshots last updated: 17/4/07
    Last edited by Hterag; 18-04-2007 at 08:36 AM.

deranged fundamentalist Eruntalon's Avatar

Re: Xen Mesa

When is the expected release would you say?

modeler

very nice keep going this reminds me of hl mod called Peace Like us.

wow , this is interesting nice pics
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,
    the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Thanks for the comments, I predict that this map will be at testing stage in about a month, but to be safe I'll say the expected release date will be in 2 months time. Check the main post for the latest info though.

Banned

Impressive work , the type of game i love
    sci-fi maps rocks =)

Design is : nice
    Architecture is : nice
    You are : good mapper =)

Offtopic : I know its maybe a stupid question, but how the hell do you have an avatar ?

NewBlood

Thumbs up Re: Xen Mesa

Quote Originally Posted by Red Falcon
    Impressive work , the type of game i love
    sci-fi maps rocks =)

Design is : nice
    Architecture is : nice
    You are : good mapper =)
    I couldn't agree more. I've had the oppotunity to playtest the Xenmesa, and i gotta say it's one heck of a map. The screenshots just doesn't do the map justice. It's all those little details that a screenshot fails to capture that makes the difference between a picture, and the actual map itself.
    The atmosphere in the map is a good mix between pleasing architecture and variation of the map. I could easily take this for an official map if it were polished enough. Seeing as the map i played wasn't in it's final stage of creation.

In conclusion, i hope that the mapper continues to work on this map, as it would be a delight (atleast for me ) to play a full version of it.

TMNT DBZ SF ZELDA NINTENDO Lomarboy's Avatar

Verry nice men Like it, i will download when the release is comming up.
    I Realy Realy need some help for steam.
    i cant play steam Games not more and its making me crazy.
    go Here if you want to Help -----> http://www.svencoop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29461

Quote Originally Posted by NewBlood
    I couldn't agree more. I've had the oppotunity to playtest the Xenmesa, and i gotta say it's one heck of a map. The screenshots just doesn't do the map justice. It's all those little details that a screenshot fails to capture that makes the difference between a picture, and the actual map itself.
    The atmosphere in the map is a good mix between pleasing architecture and variation of the map. I could easily take this for an official map if it were polished enough. Seeing as the map i played wasn't in it's final stage of creation.

In conclusion, i hope that the mapper continues to work on this map, as it would be a delight (atleast for me ) to play a full version of it.
    ive also had a run of the map, its looking good ive contributed a room or 2 to hlterag for this map gotta say its a nice map :P

Quote Originally Posted by incy247
    ive also had a run of the map, its looking good ive contributed a room or 2 to hlterag for this map gotta say its a nice map :P
    Yeah thanks for the donated room, we've got to get a joint-project thought up, designed and released as soon as we've got time...

looks fairly decent, only thing i can think of to suggest is more varieties of lights, and/or asjust your lights.rad so that the blue lights are brighter.

Content updates

I've made a small video clip showing the teleporter that takes you to Xen from Blackmesa, the link is at the top...

Added a load of new screenshots showing some new areas, replaced the older screenshots and all images are now hosted away from the Sven Co-op forum.

EDIT: You may notice there are loads of monster-less areas... basically I've had a few problems trying to get cl_notarget to work properly so I er... killed them
    Last edited by Hterag; 09-10-2005 at 01:05 PM.

i cant wait for you to release this looks like it will be good fun

***UPDATE***

Xenmesa becomes two parts! Well to continue with it, it had to be broken into two parts, damn entity limit... Not sure if it's such a good idea to have a whole map dedicated to the intro but... Well it explains the story a lot better and means I can add much more detail where it's needed. Opinions on this subject welcome and needed.

New screenshots coming soon.

Banned

OH NOES ! WE ARE DOOMED !

i want teh beta ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Red Falcon
    OH NOES ! WE ARE DOOMED !

i want teh beta ^^
    Hehe, its not quite at beta stage yet, I've updated the first post with details that I'll try to keep up to date. I'm trying not to make more than 3 maps, an intro, main section, final part with boss and end.

EDIT: New screenshots now available, see first post.
    Last edited by Hterag; 09-10-2005 at 06:11 PM.

Yea sci-fi maps r cool, like this is good detailed and typical Xen map that i like. Ive been waited for this even longer than this post was on this forum .. But good work all the way.

Glad to see other people doing videos to pimp their work Looks pretty good so far, but I feel that some of the textures behind the two teleports in the video are not unligned.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Ballblue
    Glad to see other people doing videos to pimp their work Looks pretty good so far, but I feel that some of the textures behind the two teleports in the video are not unligned.
    The pictures are at a weird angle and don't really show that the glass on the teleporters is also at an angle which makes the textures look misaligned, they are actually lined up correctly if you look at it straight on.

Thanks for the feedback anyway, the video would be better quality if I could get a decent encoder and not have to use one designed for series 60 mobiles.

excellent looking map
    find me on {RS} & frenchy's as "crappy dinosaur"!

Unfortunately I've had to set forward the release because I haven't had much time to work on it with university and everything else happening... Work is still going on however and I'll add some updated screenshots as soon as possible.

Well it's been over 6 months so I thought I should post an update...

Yes work is still going on and has been going pretty smoothely recently so I thought I'd post a whole new screenshot! Wow!

See screenshot 15 in the first post for a nice image of the first part where you're fully "in" Xen...

Hopefully I'll have some more to show by next month but who knows... I've got no idea when this map will be released though, I really need more motivation...

Contributor

Looks great, but I hope you will test it a lot to get a great gameplay, too. I've seen lots and lots of good-looking maps with incredibly poor gameplay. After and during each test, think about monster and weapon placement and such. If there was something wrong, fix it and test again until you don't find any more issues.

Do the gameplay tests always with a suitable amount of players. For example, if you intend the map to be played with small amount of people (5 or so), do the tests with that many players and make sure to inform about that in the mapname_motd.txt, so players know how many should be playing it.

I think the best way of testing is to test all the time, after you've done some upgrades. That might be boring after a few times, especially for the other players (if they're the same all the time), but you could always add some small changes around the map to make them happy.

sry to tell you this but the maps plot is horrible sry to burst your bubble :|

but great map yes

( black mensa got nuked :P )

Quote Originally Posted by A1win
    Looks great, but I hope you will test it a lot to get a great gameplay, too. I've seen lots and lots of good-looking maps with incredibly poor gameplay. After and during each test, think about monster and weapon placement and such. If there was something wrong, fix it and test again until you don't find any more issues.
    Thanks for the comments, his map has undergone a lot of testing and a few problems have been identified and fixed in the past, every playtest has seen a few bugs revealed(things like bad textures, missing objects etc) although the most players ever to try it at once was 4(including myself) and it seemed pretty solid that time.

Quote Originally Posted by DrBreen..
    sry to tell you this but the maps plot is horrible sry to burst your bubble :|

but great map yes

( black mensa got nuked :P )
    Yes I'm aware that, in Opposing force, Black mesa did get destroyed, but this map is set in an alternate time-line where Half-life was the end of it and there were no portal storms etc.
    Last edited by Hterag; 13-07-2006 at 06:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast