Thread: sc_mazing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contributor

sc_mazing

I had almost forgotten this map. It was almost finished, just got one bug, which was a null texture in wrong place. Well, it's fixed now, and modified the ending triggers to be at least a bit more end-like...

This map really gets boring after a while, but it's worth a try

It is a maze with random routes. I'll just copy-paste the motd here as it tells enough:

The maze is generated by opening certain walls randomly when the game starts. The map of the maze shows all random walls as black squares. Some of them are open and some are closed.

Inside the maze there are four altars that must be activated. The map shows eight altars, but four of them are closed by a wall, which can't be opened. You must find and activate all the four open altars to open the exit door.

There's a big moon symbol on the wall of closed altars. Open altars have a button with a moon symbol. When the altar is activated, the moon turns to sun. In the start room, you can see how many altars are activated.

If you get to the exit room before the altars are activated, you can push the two buttons with your friend to open all random walls.

Thanks to DiCola and JJ45 for textures.
    I would have wanted a mummy model to replace the zombie models, but it would just be waste of time. Now there are zombies with scientist clothes in an ancient ruins, but it's a quick map anyway, I did it during my weekend holidays from army. Here's the plan of the map I drew one night there, when I had nothing better to do: sc_mazing-plan2.jpg

The end of the map is a bit dull too, but I've used 1013 map entities out of the limit of 1024 entities, so... Prepare for the worst.

Don't bother posting any suggestions that'd require much editing, I don't want to waste more time on this map. If you find any bugs, I might fix them though, if it doesn't take too long

Then some screenies...

And the map: sc_mazing.zip 1.4 MB

Mirrors:
    http://goannasvencoop.com/sc_mazing.zip Thanks to goanna.
    http://www.svencoopcentral.com/download.php?view.497 Thanks to cscarlet.
    Last edited by A1win; 07-01-2008 at 01:20 PM.

Tester

Re: sc_mazing

there are penises on the walls

Contributor

Oh sorry... But there's a cool feature in HL so you can hide them if you want to! It's called impulse 201.

Also if you want your children to play this, you could edit the wad to replace the penises with nice things, like mushrooms, for instance.
    Last edited by A1win; 02-12-2005 at 09:53 PM.

Manager

Tested this today.

Outstanding map Nice to have traps on timers, confuses players where the traps are, and aren't.

I like the idea of random walls too. Makes the maze layout change

Overall, brilliant map :P
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Mirroring would be nice as this host is so slow.

good, but ending does not deliver.

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by A1win
    The end of the map is a bit dull too, but I've used 1013 map entities out of the limit of 1024 entities, so... Prepare for the worst.
    I don't really care. I just wanted to put this out so I'd never have to look back at it again
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty
    I'm too lazy to find out how to get it work.

Manager

This map looks interesting.

Does look interesting, even though mazes aren't my kind of maps:
    http://goannasvencoop.com/sc_mazing.zip

Contributor

Awesome map! This is the only good maze map I've played. The random walls are a nice feature. Also the textures really fit the theme of an ancient maze.

-map added to snarkcafe server
    -hosted @ http://downloads.snarkcafe.net/details.php?file=227

Manager

Hmm.. is it possible to get stuck in this map ? Because I think I am at the moment. I've used the acient how-to-get-out-of-a-maze-technique-by-keep-following-the-wall-on-the-right, but there is no way out anymore.

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Hezus
    Hmm.. is it possible to get stuck in this map ? Because I think I am at the moment. I've used the acient how-to-get-out-of-a-maze-technique-by-keep-following-the-wall-on-the-right, but there is no way out anymore.
    Might be, there are so many different routes that it'd take long to check them all... I planned them on paper first, and then made them with multi_managers, so I might have made a typo or forgotten one wall from a route or something. There are secret doors also, which might help in some situations. They don't work always, though. Just try +using walls that look like entities (buggy lighting etc.)

After playing this map I will have nightmares about penises for weeks.........thank you..... Still a good map. THEY HAUNT ME!! THEY ARE ON THE WALLS!!!!!! AAAAHHH!!!

Contributor

I've made an alternative texture for people who don't like seeing penises. It's in the same wad, and it has mushrooms on it instead of penises. It has the exactly same name, too. But it really is a different texture. Really. You can change it by saying "I wish to use the alternative texture" anywhere, anytime.

had fun till it crashed at the end with the 4 buttons T_T

Quote Originally Posted by A1win
    You can change it by saying "I wish to use the alternative texture" anywhere, anytime.
    If that's true, then I'm a robotic ice-spitting dragon. Also I think you should consider the women. Most guys don't prefer looking at their genitalia, but to make it even, make a womens version too. (IM NOT HOMOSEXUAL NOR AM I A WOMAN!)
    Last edited by Medieval_Warrior; 25-01-2006 at 12:07 AM.

I dont mean to sound gay or anything but all I see is mushrooms, i want to see penises

Quote Originally Posted by Got Chicken?
    I dont mean to sound gay or anything but all I see is mushrooms, i want to see penises
    They ARE mushrooms. We are just joking around because they look like penises. To make'em look like mushrooms. Make them look like this.

NOT like this. (THEY LOOK LIKE THIS! AAAHHH!!!)

d-|-b o.O

/____\
    | |
    / \

They are more like that. Actually I won't bother on doing a paint thing now, so just to say some things. The map is vey well thought, and with that random walls it's different everytime you play it. I give it 10/10 for geniality. I didn't have time to play it ALL but I like when everyone starts and get to the maze. Then everyone stats bumping where the hell is everyone, and...everyone gets lost and killed. Sometimes we do little squads, but they end up with spliting up and get killed by a labyrinth monster.

Something I have to say, I'm sorry if anyone finds this quite or much corrosive to their minds. Off topic btw:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper
    This map looks interesting.
    Sniper doesn't post just for telling "omg your map rox", he might be planing something or maybe nothing. This reply maybe because of:
    1-Your map is actually really good
    2-Your map will get into something(a pack or sc 3.5 maybe)
    3-Sniper is looking after you to "hire" you as a mapper(not very possible)

Don't flame me but I think that Sniper as a developer has much work to do, and little time to post around in the forum about a map someone made. So I can say that when he posts, he doesn't fool around or just do nothing, or just to post a reply.
    Anyways, in resume: Sniper has replied to your thread, listen!(actually, it's read it)

welllll.....that last stuff was omething quite misunderstanding and unuseful.....it must be the hour(1 a.m.) and me getting up early....or maybe the drink or the stuff I took from spain....
    --Sven co-op Commando team journal--
    Mission: Failed.
    Situation analisys: EXTREMELY hostile.
    -Distress call: Connecting...Calling...Sending...Main base out of range...Re-sending to all bases...awaiting response...
    No response...

Manager

This map is quite unique

Contributor

Well, I personally think this idea was good, but I didn't use enough time to put it into practice. It could have contained more variety, and if it had been a bit smaller, lots of entities could have been saved, and used more wisely. If all nodes were removed, lots of entities would also be saved. Currently there are only the ones to allow monsters to navigate at the main paths, and even that's a lot. Nodes add to max_map_entities, not in-game entities, but the entity limit when compiling is 1024. So if nodes were removed, monsters, nor the friendly grunts, could navigate properly. They wouldn't probably be that important though. It's a maze map, afterall.

This really gets boring after some time. There should be lots of combinations of randomly chosen monsters and equipment, and there could also be more randomly revealed parts of the map, some useable objects, like triggers to disable or reveal some traps etc.

As mentioned (or did I?), I did this on my holidays from army, so that explains something. I've already abandoned lots of map projects because I've got bored to that particular project, or to mapping generally. The latest project is sc_redemption, but now I'm bored to mapping again. I guess I should continue that, and not start another project, when I start mapping again. At some point I was planning a "sequel" for this, with corridors going under and above eachother and stuff, but it was put aside as just a plan.

However, if some (somehow skilled) mapper wants to make a map like this, I can give ideas and figure out the entity systems and stuff.

About Sniper posting his comment here, I don't know what he was thinking, but he wanted me to make sc_redemption a stealth map. I would probably have done that, but I had already planned the map almost totally. I don't really think he is going to put this in the SC release, and I wouldn't even want that. This is map is just a quickly carried-out idea.
    Last edited by A1win; 11-02-2006 at 05:40 PM.

Its pretty fun map , nice textures , amazing how much job you have done
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,
    the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Why is this still in the regular showcase?

because its ending sucks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast