Thread: Crystal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Crystal

Crystal

* UPDATE * Patch 1.1 released (5th June, 2007)

Background

Hi everyone! This is my first SvenCoop map I have released. This is basically a walkthrough map with 2 parts, one being based on a research facility and the other being on an alien world. I tried to make many cool things with this map but during the development I encountered many problems and had to do quite a few compromises but I think it worked out pretty well in the end.

At least 2 players are required in order to complete this map. I've tried to concentrate on both fighting and puzzles and I hope you enjoy them.

Story

The Earth has been under attack from aliens for some time now.
    They’re getting stronger and stronger all the time and therefore
    we have to find their main base and destroy the origin of these
    creatures.

Recently we found out that a secret research facility named ’Crystal’
    had been taken over by the aliens. It is a very important facility and
    we believe that it’s the source of the aliens as well.

Your team has been assigned to the mission to destroy this source.
    You managed to sneak into the Crystal and now it’s time to kick some alien ass!

Good luck!

Screenshots

Download (v1.1) (7.9MB)

[Download URLs Removed; map is included in Sven Co-op 4.0]

Additional download mirrors are welcome.

---

CHANGELOG PATCH 1.1

Overall:
    • Added new effects in some places.

Part I
    • Approaching the shortcut rock now gives you a tip about TNT.
    • The button in the column near the raising stairs is now more distinguishable.
    • The button next to the control room door will no longer move when pressed.
    • Added more ammo to the armories.
    • Skill is now set to 1.

Part II
    • Grapple flying in the puzzle area is now blocked (as far as it can be blocked).
    • Added a couple of surprise monsters to the puzzle area.
    • Added some platforms to the puzzle area which should make it easier to reach the middle platforms.
    • Added a shortcut teleport in the puzzle area.
    • The final battle has now lower gravity to make it a bit easier.

---

KNOWN ISSUES

- In the final battle the trigger_hurts are considerably easier to server hosts (ie they do more damage to others) but I hope this doesn't spoil the gameplay too much. I found no other way of doing this and apparently this should be fixed in SC 3.5, but before that is released it just has to be like this.

---

And since this is my first released map, all constructive criticism is highly welcome!
    Last edited by JPolito; 24-12-2008 at 03:53 PM.

Re: Crystal

Good job, I've just finished playing these through on my own (had to noclip in a couple of place as another player was required really) and they are really nice maps, I like the xen one especialy and you can see that you've put alot of work in to these maps, hope to see more from you in the future.

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by AzShadow
    And since this is my first released map, all constructive criticism is highly welcome!
    hello
    map crystal good (cool) (frag frag)
    map crystal2 good (very hard) (nice music)
    ++
    PS:there are noob on svencoop :=)
    Patience is a virtue greatly needed by those who attempt great things.
    La patience est une vertu fort nécessaire à ceux qui tentent de réaliser de grandes choses.

Server SvenCoop
    I love the mods svencoop
    World time zone & Look clocks

It looks very nice based on the screen shots Especially those two elevators, those look awesome. I'll dl this and test it

d-|-b o.O

Dman, nice looking maps i can't wait to play them. Why don't we know you? we need mappers! we need good maps, and lots of them! more like an official-brand style but unofficial. Anyways, just awesome.

EDIT: tested it and... FRIGGEN BOMS
    --Sven co-op Commando team journal--
    Mission: Failed.
    Situation analisys: EXTREMELY hostile.
    -Distress call: Connecting...Calling...Sending...Main base out of range...Re-sending to all bases...awaiting response...
    No response...

I LOVE IT! Four letters: B O M S! Especially the boss battle, the music really set the mood there. Good job

trigger_delay & func_lazy TrEmPlEr's Avatar  
    Artist

i test it now and for sure it will go BOMS ;D i take a look with BSPViewer , so HEZUS BOMS IT
    hehe GREAT WORK
    keep them comming

here
    Modstatus: Unknown

Played it... loved it! I just needed a good Sven coop map!

Best of Map Showcase for sure!
    I'm that awesome guy you don't want to be.

Contributor

Nice first map!

[Download URL Removed; map is included in Sven Co-op 4.0]

Thanks for the mirror cscarlet, I'll add it to the first post.

And thank you all for your comments so far!

Tester

Very nice maps! It got me already at the moment when I saw the first map screenshots.

If it looks futuristic then JC is gonna test it

I think the maps are very good.
    They have shortcuts and the player have to solve puzzles. Also the puzzles are not that hard to solve so I think even not so smart players have no problems but you need atleast 2 players.

The xen part was also very exciting because of the two ways at the beginning. You can choose wich way you want first. Jumping puzzles were fun, and the fighting was right what you needed after that

The bossbattle, well yeah its hard to do it especially if you have only garg as a supermonster. I like the idea that you have to reach the explosives first and run away from the garg and also the trigger_hurts at the explosives prevented from camping up there but I think some will do anyway.

However I like the map and it got 9/10 points from me.
    Born to Fight,
    Trained to Kill,
    Taught to Survive,
    and told to take no Prisoners.
    Visit http://www.youtube.com/NostalgicGames

Indeed, screenshots are looking good. Very specious map. Me likey!

Okay, had a run around it with JPolito and El Gringo. Maps were good, but I don't feel that they were BOMs worthy though :/

• The weapons in these maps were really weak -- a lot of the monsters had high HP valuse, and the fact that weapons like the shotgun and SMG were so weak made things quite annoying -- also, there was only enough ammo and armor pickups for about 3 people!
    • Like Sphinx said, the huge atmosphere of the maps was really really nice -- it was great break from some of the tight areas of normal BMRF maps! That being said though, the first map felt like a major copy/paste job, as most areas looked identical! On a side note though, I personally loved the elevator room in the first map -- that area stood out abovem all
    • You can barnacle fly over the jumping puzzles in the second map -- no, really, JPolito and I skipped an entire puzzle that way. I advise putting some clip brushes up in the sky to prevent players from doing this, or something.
    • Objectives seem a bit vague at times. For instance, in the first map, we acquired some TNT which could be used to blow up a boulder, blocking a door -- we were able to figure this out pretty quick, but I can't speak for everyone who plays the map. A tidbit of information at somepoint in the map saying, "We need some TNT to blow this up." would make it easier for mindless chickens... er, I mean players, to understand
    • Lowering the gravity during the boss fight in map2 would have made things a bit easier, but that's just me

Ultimately, good maps, and a good release. (rated: 4/5)

Weapons being weak? Granted, at some points it might take quite a bit of ammo to kill monsters, but if I had added weapons like uzis to the map, it would have been ridiculously easy. I don't think it would match the feeling of the map and I was afraid that many players would have found the map too easy. As for ammo and armor pickups, while making the map, I decided to put them in specific armories and it somehow felt better that way. I don't really know what to change here. It would affect the map design quite much and as I said I think uzis are too powerful for this map.

What's barnacle flying? Heh, always learning something new. I could do what you suggest if I knew what it meant.

As for objectives, I tried to keep them as simple as possible, but that TNT thing was indeed a hard job to make it understandable. I was thinking about some kind of message like that, but I'm not sure if I had some problems making it work, I can check it again. At least you can find it out even just accidentally by approaching the rock since the TNT will be placed automatically. Did you find any other objectives too hard to understand?

That gravity thing I don't understand at all. What would it change and why should the boss fight be easier anyhow?

Anyway, thanks for your comments. I might release a patch with some improvements and fixes, if you find that's a good idea.

Manager

If you lowered the gravity during the boss fight, the players would have some time to escape from the garg to jump up on top of the platform things and grab the weapons, and have the ability to jump down without smashing their brains open on the ground. I lowered the gravity significantly due to the annoyance of constantly being baked alive by the garg while trying to climb up the pillars that have the explosives on them.

Also, grapple flying:

You grab on to another player, he grabs on to you, both of you jump into the air and, if done correctly, you start to fly. This can be used to get across all of the jumping puzzles in the grapple puzzle area. Typically you fly straight to the top of the sky, so simply placing a rectangular brush with the clip texture on it across the sky would make it so that the players run into it and are forced to fall to their deaths.

I liked the first map a lot more than the second. 5/5 for the first map, 3/5 for the second. I also loved your architecture and gigantic rooms.

The first map was very creative and high-tech looking. You used textures in a very outside of the box way. Also a very nice use of sounds and ambience. Outstanding work.

The second map was just a big jumping puzzle.

Thumbs up Re: Crystal

Awesome!! First svencoop map. We beat all the maps with exploration lots of trial and errors(but fun). I liked the low weapon damage it encouraged more coop aiding a fellow in distress. with map 2 and the jumping. fun once you get the hang of it.. Barnacle flying another exploit exposed . But I agree with the clipping in some areas in the jumping parts. I liked the use of cooping in these maps. Keep up the good work. I want more give me more!!
    heal to be healed....

kill or be Killed!

Quote Originally Posted by JPolito
    If you lowered the gravity during the boss fight, the players would have some time to escape from the garg to jump up on top of the platform things and grab the weapons, and have the ability to jump down without smashing their brains open on the ground. I lowered the gravity significantly due to the annoyance of constantly being baked alive by the garg while trying to climb up the pillars that have the explosives on them.

You grab on to another player, he grabs on to you, both of you jump into the air and, if done correctly, you start to fly. This can be used to get across all of the jumping puzzles in the grapple puzzle area. Typically you fly straight to the top of the sky, so simply placing a rectangular brush with the clip texture on it across the sky would make it so that the players run into it and are forced to fall to their deaths.

I liked the first map a lot more than the second. 5/5 for the first map, 3/5 for the second. I also loved your architecture and gigantic rooms.
    Ok, I can lower the gravity a bit.

Thanks for telling me about that flying thing. I just don't get it that if people want to exploit or cheat, then why don't they just use noclip or something easier.

Originally I intended to do only one map, but it grew kind of too big so I had to do a second one and I wanted it to be a xen-style map. Unfortunately, you didn't like it, but then again, some other prefer the xen map to the first one. The jumping puzzle is like a 3d mario and I wasn't sure if people would like it.

I'll definitely release a patch with some fixes and additions.

Contributor

I'll definitely release a patch with some fixes and additions.
    name the file
    sv_crystal_v2_1.bsp
    sv_crystal_v2_2.bsp
    SVP
    La patience est une vertu fort nécessaire à ceux qui tentent de réaliser de grandes choses.

Server SvenCoop
    I love the mods svencoop

These were released at a skill level of 2 in the cfg, so to balance the weapon damage a bit just drop the maps back to skill 1. I didn't think it was that unbalanced myself.

All right. Here's the initial changelog for the 2.0 patch:

Overall:
    • Added new effects in some places.

Part I
    • Approaching the shortcut rock gives you a tip about TNT (before you've found TNT that is).
    • The button in the column near the raising stairs is now more distinguishable.

Part II
    • Players can no longer use the grapple flying exploit to avoid the jumping puzzles.
    • Added a couple of surprise monsters to the jumping puzzles.
    • Added shortcut teleport in the jumping puzzle.
    • The final battle has now lower gravity to make it a bit easier.
    Basically I'm trying to make the first map have more signs of the alien attack so that it won't look so intact.

If you find that the skill 1 is better for the first map, I can change it as well.

I tested the grapple flying and it's impossible to prevent it completely because you don't necessarily have to fly so high all the time. But I think the clip brush will help at least a little.

As for the gravity in the final battle, if you fall to the stairs and then to the ground, you won't lose any damage at all. If the gravity is lowered to 600, you'll lose 20 if you fall from the top. If it's any lower, jumping will become harder and the place would become quite useless. The idea is to have the players do some work for the explosives and actually heal other instead of just doing mindless shooting towards the garg.

Quote Originally Posted by spy-warrior
    name the file
    sv_crystal_v2_1.bsp
    sv_crystal_v2_2.bsp
    SVP
    Good idea. I'll do that except for the 'sv_' part.

---

All in all, I'd like to have some suggestions or comments on what you liked or not so that I could make some changes and maybe find compromises. More patches could be possible but I want to have this one done as well as possible so that it would be fit as a final version.

Contributor

Good idea. I'll do that except for the 'sv_' part.
    Quote Originally Posted by spy-warrior
    name the file
    sv_crystal_v2_1.bsp
    sv_crystal_v2_2.bsp
    SVP
    YES
    sc_crystal_v2_1.bsp
    sc_crystal_v2_2.bsp
    loooooooool :=)

PS:sc_map = svencoop_namemap

Server SvenCoop
    I love the mods svencoop

Manager

If you are releasing a second version of the map, you should keep the same name so that people wont be playing both the old and new versions of your map. I don't see a point in releasing a second version with a different name if practically everything in the map is the same, with only a few tweaks to gameplay.

Maybe.. it's just that people might get the map differs thing when joining to servers. All right, I'll reconsider this naming thing.

Manager

Yes. If they get the map differs error, then they will have to download the latest version. Makes more sense.

People can be, let's see, how should I put this, ignorant! People really need to learn that when they get "map differs from the server's" they need to

1- delete their bsp and download from the server
    or
    2- download the lastest version from the post.
    As JPolito said you should keep the original name and just let evreyone know the map has been updated. Some may still be running the first one for awhile but then too bad for them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast