Thread: Yabma (my first Sven Coop map)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yabma (my first Sven Coop map)

Yabma (yet another Black Mesa Adventure) is finally ready. This is my first Sven Coop map I've completed .

Gameplay is simple walkthrough style in Black Mesa laboratories, maintenance areas etc. I've tried to make this map look detailed but still very playable, it should run well on older computers.

Download: [Download URLs Removed; map is included in Sven Co-op 4.0]

Screenshots: 1, 2

Feedback is most welcomed .
    Last edited by JPolito; 24-12-2008 at 03:56 PM.

Re: Yabma (my first Sven Coop map)

Looks really nice by the looks of the screens, I'll try it out later.

Clicketh or be doomed!

It looks very good , I'll go test it now

Funky Fresh Scent! FunkyFreshMan's Avatar

Very nice! I'll be trying out later.

Holy shit , that was a long map . well it was really good , architecture and gameplay and everything , I cant really say anything negative about this . BOMS anyone ?

Your first SvenCo-op map? Holy... That was hilarious to look at! Even if I have had a break from SvenCo-op for a very long while, these pictures made me badly want to start playing again. This really is eye candy for me, from the screenshots, the map seems excellent, in my opinion! Good job, specially impressive for your first attempt on the SvenCo-op modification!
    Map(s) I`ve released: (RC)Lasertest (SC)Xootixz, Sc_fragtraining, Platformatic, Sc_MonsterBase
    :OMG! :OMG! :OMG! :WTF? : Dont have any of those Turrican-maps... Where to download???

I've got a feeling Hezus is going to stamp a BOMS sticker on this thread..

Just played it with Stoked, and it was overall a pretty fun map T'was a little simple though, and the architechture constantly repeated a 90-degree-angle look. Also, some of the hallways were a little cramped, and ammo was rather limited.

I enjoyed it

Thanks for comments .

T'was a little simple though, and the architechture constantly repeated a 90-degree-angle look. Also, some of the hallways were a little cramped, and ammo was rather limited.
    I drew the map on grid paper (spelling?) during boring school classes. So it's no wonder the base architecture looks a bit blocky, but I tried to give some more detail with pipes and other random stuff . During testing we noticed that there was a bit too much ammo around at first so it was pretty hard to find the right balance.

Also one thing regarding the skill setting. Map has skill 1 in cfg by default, but if you have 8+ players then skill 2 is more suitable. Just remember to add more starting ammo to cfg when using skill 2 .

Manager

I just finished playing with Nih, redhood, and The-Fox. Excellent map, though a few areas definitely need more light. A lot more. Also there is a pit in that extremely dark cavern that I fell in to and there wasnt a trigger_hurt in the bottom of it, so I had to kill myself.

Other than that, it's one of the best maps that I've played in a long time, and if those dark areas are corrected, I think it deserves to be in the BOMS.

Quote Originally Posted by JPolito
    Also there is a pit in that extremely dark cavern that I fell in to and there wasnt a trigger_hurt in the bottom of it, so I had to kill myself.
    You should use mp_falldamage 1 instead of 0 .

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Hell-met
    You should use mp_falldamage 1 instead of 0 .
    However, some servers don't have that on, therefore there should be a trigger_hurt anyway. Server commands can't solve all the problems, especially the ones that a lot of people don't use.

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty
    I've got a feeling Hezus is going to stamp a BOMS sticker on this thread..
    Beat him to it.

Definately enjoyed this map, although I personally think it could be a bit more challenging.

BOMS.

Congrats with BOMS This is definetely one of the few maps that I feel should be in here.

[B]mapp0r[/b] ... umpf this dont work mu]['s Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Yabma (my first Sven Coop map)

This map is great!!
    I love Black Mesa and u have put (nearly) the whole Black Mesa in one map!!
    Architecture: 9 of 10 - for the great details everywhere
    Gameplay: 8 of 10 - I love BUTTONS!!! YARRrrr... some enemys are too easy --> set skill2 for more players
    The end is perfect
    erm... overall rating: i think --> 8 / 10 <-- (BOMS!)

Regards mu][
    "][" stands for "X" and not "H" !

Sry to be a party pooper but I just played this map and I feel it has been way over hyped

My problems with the map are:

-The beginning, you start in the middle of a cliff for no apparent reason

-No plot at all except some vague details about a car,

-Zombies and human grunts who can take 2 dbled shotgun barrels to the head and still live are over powered(and annoying)

-The railings in the map can't be shot through

-A real lack of cover in most areas of the map means there is no where to hide

-the puzzles were interesting ideas although poorly implemented.... I didn't have to figure anything out... for instance I discovered the power generator before the door it opened so I didn't need to search for anything, you may as well of started the door open as the button was so near ... in other maps people usually discover a door then figure out how to open it by going on a search for the object

The things I liked:

-Good black mesa feel at some areas of the maps, mainly around the middle and some gd architecture (not at beginning or end)

-a few nice scripts, although could of been implemented better

Sorry to say this but I definetly don't believe this deserved boms lol

Maybe with a little more work... but as it is, I'm amazed it got that award O_o
    Back occasionally after a long break from svencoop

Manager

I don't see a problem with maps not having a good storyline, as long as it has good gameplay its fine. Other than that, the things you are talking about can be easily fixed and released as a new version.

deranged fundamentalist Eruntalon's Avatar

The map felt too crowded in some places. Otherwise it was generally a standard Black Mesa style map. it might have been lacking something also, I got a feeling that it was.

Smile Re: Yabma (my first Sven Coop map)

Thanks for feedback .

Quote Originally Posted by The_6th_Monkey
    My problems with the map are:

-The beginning, you start in the middle of a cliff for no apparent reason
    There are two ropes in spawn that are coming from upper cliffs, so it's assumed that your journey started somewhere else .

-No plot at all except some vague details about a car,
    I wanted to make simple escape Black Mesa map, so it's no wonder the story sucks .

-Zombies and human grunts who can take 2 dbled shotgun barrels to the head and still live are over powered(and annoying)
    Hmm that's odd, grunts have default health points so they should go down with db headshot. Some zombies have 200 health because they are too easy to take out with default health (one single shotgun blast).

-The railings in the map can't be shot through
    My mistake. This will be fixed for my next map and if I make new version of this one .

-A real lack of cover in most areas of the map means there is no where to hide
    Good point.

-the puzzles were interesting ideas although poorly implemented.... I didn't have to figure anything out... for instance I discovered the power generator before the door it opened so...
    Heh, this wasn't ment to be a puzzle at all . There are only two puzzles, keycard and exploding pipes (although they are both very easy to solve). I'll try to make better ones for next map .

Sorry to say this but I definetly don't believe this deserved boms lol
    That's what I'm thinking too lol, but I really appreciate the BOMS choice .

Manager

With all the Boms requests around I had to put away everything I was doing to test this baby right away. And so I did...

At first I was a bit disappointed. The map starts off with : Hello cave, hello loads of grunts, hello vents, hello loads of headcrabs. Apart from getting areas overcrowded, it's not really HL-ish (especially with BMRF themed maps) to start off with a load of grunts. It's better to start off easy and make the map more difficult the futher you advance.

But then the inside of the complex started and I was really pleased with the gameplay inside there. Action, variation, suprises and fun all the time and all the way. The good use of monsters and placement, good use of settings, small sequences, ammo & weapon placement, etc. It's all really well done ! Futher more the map is very long and keeps you busy at all times.

Next there is the architecture. What do I need to say ? Well designed, a lot of variation again, detailed to the notch, dramatic lighting : it basicly got it all. Again, really well done !

A bit of disappointment again while nearing the climax of the map : the ending. 2 babygargs with massive HP and some grunt minions isn't very origional inho. As soon they are dead you'll get a wave of assassins trying to stop you and it ends with a fade. At that time I was kind of left with a feeling of unsatisfation. Then I got the biggest suprise this map gave me : The map faded back into a osprey fight showdown ! Just what it needed for a really good ending Really well done x3 !

Overall I can say : This is far more than "yet another Black Mesa Adventure". It would do good as an offcial HLSP addon, imho. Also with that comes the flaw of the map : the co-operative elements. I havn't spotted co-op sequences at all. There are a few shortcuts you can open for yourself and other players and the dificulty would fit well for 4-8 players, but next to this there isn't wasn't many co-op in mind while playing this. Also many of the corridors and rooms are too small for more than 2 players fighting at the same time. I think with 8 players will block eachother a lot while fighting.

Good points :
    - Gameplay
    - Architecture & Details
    - Nice ending
    - Lenght

Improvement could be done at :
    - Start of the map
    - Co-operative elements
    - Maybe some cinematic effects at the ending or during the map ?

My rating : 8.2/10 BOMS!

Quote Originally Posted by JPolito
    Also there is a pit in that extremely dark cavern that I fell in to and there wasnt a trigger_hurt in the bottom of it, so I had to kill myself.
    That's realistic IMO, what if you did fall into a pit and survived, how would you get out in real life? Well cyanide is always an option but I like that.

Monkey your critiscising this like its the guys hundredth map, this is his first, it's DANG good to have it in BOMS first time. So don't critiscize unless it's like the 3rd or 4th time he made an error like those you stated. Because even with the glitches. This map is still amazing work, especially first map.

5/5

OFFTOPIC:It would make a great admin prison, or if I stuck a nomble down there............ADMIN SACRIFICIAL PIT! Where the idiots get thrown in and sacrificed to the holy Nomble! Well...not really holy, he has fire shooting out of his eyes.

lol if you don't criticise someone they don't improve, I hate it when people don't tell me what I can improve in my maps
    Back occasionally after a long break from svencoop

Mapping is an expression... coLera's Avatar

This sounds my kinda map, lots of action and overpowering monsters etc...

Had this account years back :P

This is such a wonderful map but it lacks puzzles, scripted sequences (my fav) and coop play but overall its one of the best walkthroughs
    In-Game name : Focus

Finally a non resident evil map
    Really good job, could use a little more of what Sniperdude said.

http://www.lillbrorsan.webb.se - My private website with online portfolio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast