Thread: Strikeback 1 Beta Version

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Strikeback 1 Beta Version

This is a submission for 3.5 in the Rush gameplay category.

The reason why I've released this map in a Beta version is for numerous reasons. Firstly, I've been working on it for ages and quite frankly feel that it's about time that I released it in some form. Secondly, I've played it quite a few times by myself, but until now, no-one else has had the map, so it hasn't been properly tested for bugs, gameplay issues and general problems. Thirdly, it's designed for one of the gameplay modes in 3.5, so it won't be fully finished until 3.5 is out. And finally, I've been working on it for ages, and just wanna release something to the public, just see how it's going to be recieved. The suspense is killing me

STORYLINE

Trapped, alone and afraid, your team down to a fifth of its previous strength and the soldiers getting ever closer, you glance round in the vain hope of finding a door with a reassuring 'Exit' sign above it, though as you hopelessly expected, no door was available. Momentary amnesia requires you to navigate through events so far, to piece together again what on earth just happened.

You remember hearing on the radio the announcement to 'Pull back' by the military, and the realisation with your comrades that you stand no chance of reaching any of the evacuation zones in time. And so, building up where you are, you hope, against hope, for the best.

A few days pass, and you see yourself in the same place, except this time feeling more positive than you ever have. In fact, feeling positively joyful. The radio had crackled to life again, and a quivering voice had called for help. And so the scientist entered our story. He was alone and afraid, near our position, trapped within Black Mesa by the zombified remains of his colleagues. He knew a way out, but needed some soldiers to help. Our Commanding Officer agreed. And the dreams of a homecoming seemed possible again.

But it was a forlorn hope. The Black Operatives caught our message, and plotted our demise. And so as we followed the scientist's instructions, they launched their ambush in our path. Surrounded. Fired On. Screaming. Panicking. Within a few seconds the dreams of home and family were torn by bullets and blood. Only a few escaped the scything bullets to retreat to our stronghold. The Commanding Officer, leading from the front, hadn't managed to escape the assassins' bullet, casting him in darkness and our future in disarray. Low ammunition. No supplies. Few gunners. No Leadership. And little time until the Black Operatives caught the scientist, the situation would indeed appear hopeless...

However, as the morale of Half-Life itself shows, trapped and desperate men can be the most dangerous and resourceful. As the assassins race to surround your position, memories of massacre and butchery are aroused all the more powerfully in your team; Dreams of home, food and family are kept alive, and the Commanding Officer's memory is not forgotten.

The soldiers are urging for revenge. It’s time for the strike back to begin.

OBJECTIVE :

» Rescue the scientist within the time limit, before Black Operatives get him.

To install extract the .zip to your Steam/SteamApps/[ACCOUNT]/half-life/SvenCoop/maps folder.

Known Issues:
    + No time limit. The final version will have a timer, though unfortunately this can't be added until we have access to 3.5
    + Probably a few mistakes and bugs. If you spot any please tell me!

Download Here

New hosting by Goanna. Thanks very much buddy!
    Last edited by Mutant; 23-06-2006 at 08:23 AM.

Manager

Re: Strikeback 1 Beta Version

Looks great! My favorite is the second screenshot

I'll find some time to play it.

Looks good !!
    Gonna try it asap

Hey nice map Although there are some lil glitches with aliens that can´t attack you but you can attack them if you stand half sightening a wall.

Phew, this map was heavily bugged when we played it.

- In the Room before the outside area, theres a barricade near the door, in which you can stuck, when you jump on.
    - Theres a box in the outside area, in the corner, that procudes a graphic failure, when you look at it.
    - The red "Secure Access" door in the outside area (screenshot 2) won't open. We got to grenade boost us up.
    - The glass door from screenshot 3 won't open. We got to quit playing here, as we didn't came any further.

Other constructive criticism: Place the buttons from the both lifts, where they are reachable, when on the lift. It's abit tricky to push the button and then quickly jump up, while its already moving.

What I saw looked good though, I liked the destroyable boxes, with the stuff inside, but it still needs some work and serious bugfixing.
    Last edited by Headcrab57; 16-06-2006 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Headcrab57
    - In the Room before the outside area, theres a barricade near the door, in which you can stuck, when you jump on.
    - Theres a box in the outside area, in the corner, that procudes a graphic failure, when you look at it.
    - The red "Secure Access" door in the outside area (screenshot 2) won't open. We got to grenade boost us up.
    - The glass door from screenshot 3 won't open. We got to quit playing here, as we didn't came any further.
    Thank you for all your comments and criticism so far! It's actually proving very useful! Especially your comments 57, I've found the graphic failure you mentioned and fixed it. I'm not sure which barricade you mean, but I assume it's the sandbags and green box, so I moved them a little bit over from the railings, so players can't get caught. Also moved two of the lift buttons into easier to reach areas.

Also I noticed that red "Secure Access" door bug the last time I played through, but I wasn't able to fix it. However I've just looked through the map again in Worldcraft, followed the sequence all the way through and found the error. I sure feel silly now! It was a minor error causing a huge issue. It's fixed now, and thanks to the fact it is fixed, that'll in turn fix the glass doors not opening, since they can also be triggered now.

I've compiling a new Beta version now. To all the people who play the map now, you have my deepest apoligies, but the map is broken for the time being. D: When I'm back from work in about 7 hours though, I'll upload the new version, and then people can play the map from beginning to end without problems!

Finally, thanks for all the support so far! It's very motivating!
    Last edited by Mutant; 16-06-2006 at 11:26 PM.

Looks very decent , and obviously alot of effort was put in this. Five'd.

I don't have time to play atm, but here's what I'll say based on the screenshots:

Cieling texture in pic 5 needs needs a major retexture job That texture looks a bit over used, and it really doesn't align to the cieling. Also, that computer and pipe connecting to it look a little angular

Pics 3 and 4 look quite cramped. I wouldn't want to charge into those areas in a 32 player server

In pic 1, symetry is broken due to a missing pillar on the wall.

I think the map may benefit from less 90 degree goodness and fewer brushes: Allow me to re-write that a little better:

Your architecture is great No doubt about that! However, I feel that some of these rooms may be a tad.. over detailed? I think I'm just jealous Overall, I think you can achieve the same great look with fewer brushes, and less angles. Try some round stuff.

/runs away with another :P smiley tucked underneath his arm

Manager

Nice map. The looks are great, but it feels pretty cramped. Overall a pretty good map, but it feels like it's missing something. I got an idea while playing the map and I whipped up a little mspaint sketch.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/6...eta00031ee.jpg

Instead of having the scientist die after the time goes out you could do this:
    The assassins continually spawn at the beginning of a hallway(red line), and must walk all the way over to the scientist. Some of the players need to go the blue route, which is a small corridor to the side of the hallway. The players can't get into the hallway, but they can shoot at the assassins through a window in the corridor, and the assassins can shoot back. While some of the players distract the assassins, the rest of the team goes through the regular route. Modify or use this idea as you like

Also:

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/572...eta00007lx.jpg
    That wall texture is pretty stretched, and this area could also use a few pitdrones to spice up the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Ballblue
    Pics 3 and 4 look quite cramped. I wouldn't want to charge into those areas in a 32 player server
    Who the hell would want to play SC on a 32 Slot Server?!

As for me: 2-3 Players maximum.

very well done. the dark hallway in the fourth screenshot kinda reminds me of doom3 ...
    very creepy looking

Quote Originally Posted by Headcrab57
    Who the hell would want to play SC on a 32 Slot Server?!

As for me: 2-3 Players maximum.

I primarily play on Snarkcafe, and that's a 19 player server at the moment. Most maps get pretty cramped in that server, unless the map has huge outdoor or indoor areas, which they usually don't.

Well, sorry it took so long but I've just uploaded the imaginatively named strikeback1_beta2, and I've replaced the download link above with the new file. Anyone who wants to play the new version, just click the same link and download the new file.

Your idea sounds interesting Nih, and I'd be tempted to use and adapt it, but unfortunately, this map is already nearly at the edge of the Half-Life 1 engine's limits! Adding about 2 or 3 more rooms would probably result in a dreaded max_map_brushes error or something.

At the moment I'm a bit rushed for time, but I'll be back from a party soon, and hopefully then I can reply more fully to your comments.

Heh , that red secure access door still wont open for me. Maybe im missing something though.

Is the MOTD too long? Getting reliable channel overflows. Removing some from the MOTD seems to have made it stop.

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant
    Well, sorry it took so long but I've just uploaded the imaginatively named strikeback1_beta2, and I've replaced the download link above with the new file. Anyone who wants to play the new version, just click the same link and download the new file.

Your idea sounds interesting Nih, and I'd be tempted to use and adapt it, but unfortunately, this map is already nearly at the edge of the Half-Life 1 engine's limits! Adding about 2 or 3 more rooms would probably result in a dreaded max_map_brushes error or something.

At the moment I'm a bit rushed for time, but I'll be back from a party soon, and hopefully then I can reply more fully to your comments.
    If you do a full compile with -chart on all the processes, you can see how close you are to the limits. Some limits can be worked around, and I think this would make your map very interesting

Edit: Hell-Met, I think you're supposed to be boosted up to the place where the shocktroopers were. There's a door you can open.

Still doesn't work? Red security door won't open unless there's something your;re supposed to do to get it to open besides going up to it? The security door up where the shocktroopers were doesn't open either. I was just playing it 2 minutes ago on a server, still seems to not work right.

Quote Originally Posted by Templeton Peck
    Red security door won't open unless there's something your;re supposed to do to get it to open besides going up to it?
    Yeah, basically the map works this way: Kill all the monsters in area A, and the door to Area B opens. Kill all the monsters in Area B and the door to area C opens. Or at least it should. This bug might even be in the HL code, because I can't find anything wrong in the map code. Basically try it this way: Load the map, type in 'sv_cheats 1', then 'godmode 1', then 'giveall' loads of times, and basically run through the map killing all the monsters. Bear in mind that the door to the next area will only open when all the monsters in the previous area are killed - I tried it cheating, using the egon gun on full blast, and played through to the end of the map. Whereas next time, I played it without any of the cheats, on my own, and for some reason when I got to that area and killed all the monsters, the door wouldn't open... It's a wierd bug and it's annoying because it means most of you havn't been able to play the last half of the map!

I'm gonna start working on another version (I really hope I can sort this out). Firstly, I'll try pulling that area apart and seeing if any of the triggers don't match up. I'll also try to cut down the motd if some people are getting reliable channel overflows. And then I'll also compile it with the -chart command. Sounds like that could come in handy!

Sorry for all the bugs guys, I played through this map quite a few times before releasing and thought I had most squashed but it always seems like a few slip through! Your comments have been really useful, and I'm gonna try and perfect it.

And if anyone has any success with the map, I'd love to hear from you to!

Yeah, basically the map works this way: Kill all the monsters in area A, and the door to Area B opens. Kill all the monsters in Area B and the door to area C opens. Or at least it should. This bug might even be in the HL code, because I can't find anything wrong in the map code. Basically try it this way: Load the map, type in 'sv_cheats 1', then 'godmode 1', then 'giveall' loads of times, and basically run through the map killing all the monsters. Bear in mind that the door to the next area will only open when all the monsters in the previous area are killed - I tried it cheating, using the egon gun on full blast, and played through to the end of the map. Whereas next time, I played it without any of the cheats, on my own, and for some reason when I got to that area and killed all the monsters, the door wouldn't open... It's a wierd bug and it's annoying because it means most of you havn't been able to play the last half of the map!

I'm gonna start working on another version (I really hope I can sort this out). Firstly, I'll try pulling that area apart and seeing if any of the triggers don't match up. I'll also try to cut down the motd if some people are getting reliable channel overflows. And then I'll also compile it with the -chart command. Sounds like that could come in handy!

Sorry for all the bugs guys, I played through this map quite a few times before releasing and thought I had most squashed but it always seems like a few slip through! Your comments have been really useful, and I'm gonna try and perfect it.

And if anyone has any success with the map, I'd love to hear from you to!
    I think I read that shocktroopers wont trigger stuff right.
    edit: I ripented the shocktroopers to other monsters and the red door opened.
    Last edited by Jusupov; 18-06-2006 at 01:21 AM.

That could be the reason then, with the shocktroopers.
    How about adding another Trigger, like some button or something, in the canals at the outside area, or just making the door destroyable by explosives?
    I think everyone kills all monsters anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Jusupov
    I think I read that shocktroopers wont trigger stuff right.
    edit: I ripented the shocktroopers to other monsters and the red door opened.
    That's a good suggestion, and I tried that, because I thought it was a problem with the monsters too, but unfortunately it was the same situation, no red door opening. However, it started me thinking...

When a monster dies, it activates something called a 'trigger target', which in turn activates a 'trigger_relay', which then leads to a 'multisource'. So basically each of these monsters is hooked up to a multisource which they individually activate when they die. The multisource knows how many monsters there are, and will only activate when they do all die. When they do all die, the multisource activates, and opens the door to the next area, and spawns all the monsters for that area too.

If you follow that definition then, there's no reason why the red door shouldn't open, right? Well, unfortunately, there's a minor bug in the code. A monster will only activate its 'trigger target' if the player kills it - if it gets in the crossfire of another monster, then for some reason, even though its died, it won't activate its trigger target, making the multisource think that one of the monsters is still alive.

I tried this out in the map myself: If you go to that outside area, shoot one of the baby voltigores a bit, then kill a giant voltigore right next to it, the damage the big voltigore makes from exploding kills the baby and screws up the triggering sequence.

Sooooo.... Long story short: I know what's causing the bug, and will make a work around in two days (got to go to job tomorrow). Thanks for your help though Jusupov, you sent me in the right direction for finding that bug. Also in my latest version where I found the bug, I actually added a button to the red door for you headcrab57, though as it turns out, I may not need it at all!

You could set the monstermakers "max monsters" value to "-1", let each monster trigger a game_counter when it dies.
    Once the game counter is reached, you could destroy the monstermakers AND opend the door.
    that way, if one of the monsters does not die properly, it will spawn again till the counter is actually reached.

And Voltigores have some issues triggering something on death... you could make a custom model for a voltigore (can make it look the same), and edit the qc-file, adding a map-trigger on the dying sequence. You might have to check out some qc-tuts first though...

If you follow that definition then, there's no reason why the red door shouldn't open, right? Well, unfortunately, there's a minor bug in the code. A monster will only activate its 'trigger target' if the player kills it - if it gets in the crossfire of another monster, then for some reason, even though its died, it won't activate its trigger target, making the multisource think that one of the monsters is still alive.

I tried this out in the map myself: If you go to that outside area, shoot one of the baby voltigores a bit, then kill a giant voltigore right next to it, the damage the big voltigore makes from exploding kills the baby and screws up the triggering sequence.
    I changed all the shocktroopers to voltigores and in the red door area waited until one of them killed themselves by shooting its energythingie infront of it. So I didn't even shoot it and it worked.

I've had trouble with voltigores triggering correctly too. The death trigger worked the first time but after that it work sometimes but not every time. I stopped using shocktroopers and voltigores for triggers. If I'm not mistaken this issue has been resolved in 3.5.

Manager

I've played till the outside area with the red door till the death trigger bug stopped me, but I'm impressed with the looks of the map Mutant! Really well done.

I didn't find much other bugs than what was already mentioned here. The bugged outside area has stretched out textures who look odd (the little shed with the 2 medkits) and the watertower seems to be clipped (prolly from preventing people to get stuck in there).

The breakable fences are a bit wierd. Maybe you should make sure that breakable objects are easy to be recognised. It's strange to see that I can destroy a certain fence at one place but the same type not at another place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast