Thread: My first Map! (Kill_Shawn_Werk)

A mapper

Exclamation My first Map! (Kill_Shawn_Werk)

Hey eveyone, I have just completed my first SvenCoop map

I have beta tested it by myself a few times and with my brother once, checking for bugs and other problems, so there shouldn't be any right now. I want you guys to play my map and tell me what you think. I would really appreciate it if you guys could test it for me and if you find any bugs could you please tell me so I can fix it ASAP.

I hope you guys enjoy my map, and thanks for reading my thread

Also, if you find on a certain part of the map that you get a low fps or you get quite a bit of lag, tell me so I can look at it and try to fix it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: My first Map! (Kill_Shawn_Werk)

Pretty nice for a newbie map I like how you have to fight your way to the roof. Try to expand the map and put some detail/architecture in.

I have some suggestions for the next version :
    - Use more light. The most annoying thing (next to headcrab in vents) is fighting a load of assassins in a dark room.
    - Respawning monsters is generally a bad idea. If you want respawning monsters then always make a way for players to make them stop spawning. You could let players blow up the entrances where they are spawning from from, or block the doors with pushables.
    - Make a nice ending. The maps ends as soon you kill the boss, which is a bit short. Make a text show up, that you've beaten Shawn and let the players escape the map somewhere. Example, let a truck/bmp drive on the road near the spawn where players have to get in and drive away quickly.

EDIT :
    Little hint : Always post a few screenshots with your thread, so people have an idea what kind of map it is

A mapper

Thanks, when I work on another map/second version I'll keep those things in mind.

Do you think I could put triggers on certain areas of the map where when you trigger them it stops the assassins from respawning?

Eg. When you go up the stairs it stops the assassins on the bottom floor from respawning.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoneSavage
    Thanks, when I work on another map/second version I'll keep those things in mind.

Do you think I could put triggers on certain areas of the map where when you trigger them it stops the assassins from respawning?

Eg. When you go up the stairs it stops the assassins on the bottom floor from respawning.
    That would be a good solution. Another idea : You could link it to the objectives. Monsters stop spawning on the first floor as soon you rescue the hostages. Monsters on the 2nd floor stop when you defuse the bomb.

A mapper

If anyone is going to play/test my map can you tell me because I want to join and see what lag I get. Whenever I put the person limit over 4 people, I start lagging pretty badly on the map. Thanks

Well, a couple mistakes would be starting the players in the action right away. as soon as you spawn, or respawn, you get shot at immediately, which is really annoying. Another thing would be the health of some of the male assassins, 500 or 600 hp. It's really hard to kill someone when their health is that high. I would have to agree with Hezus that it's a bit too dark, some more lights are needed. Also be sure to add some medkits around the spawn as well as armour. But its a really good map for someone whos a noobie mapper. Keep up the good work!

Also, do you use Valve Hammer Editor to make your maps? There are a lot of tutorials here:
    http://www.valve-erc.com/
    And here:
    http://halflife.qeradiant.com/

Valve erc can give you lots of information on entities and how to use them. Qeradiant can give you help on making solid things; architecture, brush based entities and it has a list of skies that you can use in your maps.