Thread: Stormit 1-4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SeriousSam is my uncle! SeriousToni's Avatar

Stormit 1-4

DOWNLOAD-LINKS FIXED (2.8.06)- THEY WORK NOW
    Alternate Download-Mirror here in Post #24 and #34
    Hey guys.
    It is just boring to wait for 3.5 so I decided to make a funny map for you
    And in the end there are not only one but 4 maps!!

In Stormit you must conquer a house defended by terrorists. In the house there are some big wardrobes and in one of them Walter the hostage hides himself. Everytime you play the map, Walter will hide randomly in another wardrobe!
    Stormit is available in 4 sorts at the moment. In each sort the terrorists are another race. In the screenie it is the army, but there are also versions with black ops, xen and race x!

If you like it, I could change the terrorists to zombies or Otises
    Oh I forgot, you have a friendly Otis and a friendly Barney from the Police to help you on the map finding Walter

So guys, I hope you have fun with these maps and the time till 3.5 doesn't seem so long anymore with that

I would like to hear some sentences of you, how you like these 4 maps.

Ok, but now have fun, look at the screenie and click the link!

Textures: Download Textures

Map:
    Download Map

Alternate Download from goanna: http://goannasvencoop.com/stormit.zip
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stormit.jpg 
Views:	847 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	11881  
    Last edited by SeriousToni; 04-08-2006 at 08:30 AM.
    "Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Und der SCHREI!

Hier wohnt mein Onkel

Hier wohne ICH

Re: Stormit 1-4

no you must download all of the texturelinks! they all must be in the same directory (e.g. c:\downloads) and then you click the texture.zip and it will extract itself an the other (e.g. texture.z01, texture.z02,...) in the directory of you choice automaticly. Same for the map!
    I had to split them up in parts because my provider doesnt allow me to upload big files. So it is easier for the 56k-people, too.

So and now MORE SCREENIES just that you don't think I'm a noobmapmaker no I am no damn noob The maps didn't take long. I needed only 4 days to build them. The SC-Campaign I'm working on took me more than 2 years and it's still not done!

So but now the screenies

Name:	stormit1.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	11882   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stormit2.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	11883   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stormit5.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	193.4 KB 
ID:	11884  
    "Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Und der SCHREI!

Hier wohnt mein Onkel

Hier wohne ICH

I testet the packet textures and the packed map, it all works fine, just click all links, save them in the same directory and open the zip and extract it, the stuff like .z01,z02,... will extract in the same directory too. IT'S ALL SO SIMPLE!

Why don't you write a word, don't you come out from the maps anymore?
    Yeah I know, I played them together with a buddy and my little cousin, and we all have still fun on those maps I was fascinated that these maps took so less time to build and they look still good and the fun there is the best

So I hope to hear from you

Und der SCHREI!

Hier wohnt mein Onkel

Hier wohne ICH

I know how to open various files the zips will not open for ME. Something must of happened in the download/transfer.

did you try it again goanna?

Und der SCHREI!

Hier wohnt mein Onkel

Hier wohne ICH

All files were in the same directory I still get the errors trying to open them.

Edit: tried redownloading the links, still getting the errors. Too much trouble, people aren't likely to mess with this, you need a better host so you can package your maps properly, qwerty would be a good place.

yeah but I have not 14 $ - I need a free host..

EDIT: Isnt there another host but Qwerty? I can't spend money on this, is everybody uploading their maps over Qwerty??

Do the textures not work or the map or both or what? Goanna?
    Last edited by SeriousToni; 25-07-2006 at 05:36 AM.

Und der SCHREI!

Hier wohnt mein Onkel

Hier wohne ICH

Allright I did upload my shit completely new:

LET'S TRY THIS: FIXED LINK

If it wount work too, please tell me with some more precision WHAT is wrong, I really would thank you for this and now lets hope that the shit does work okay?

Und der SCHREI!

Hier wohnt mein Onkel

Hier wohne ICH

Hi SeriousToni. The map does play, and the links work - I've yet to play it properly though.

For those having trouble - click all the links and download all the files. Once you have them all downloaded, extract the .zip's. There should be two lots of extracted files (one containing the maps and motds, and one containing the wad). Use them, then delete all the downloaded files.
    Last edited by Oblivion; 25-07-2006 at 03:39 PM.

Same, check screens for error readings:
    The first is what I get trying to open "stormit_tex2" the other files produce the other three error messages.

Edit: Yes they're all in the same folder and no matter which one I try to open first I get "invalid archive". stormit or stormit_tex both listed as the first part in a slpit zip file produce invalid archive and yes my registered version of Winzip is up to date. I suspect my Winzip doesn't like your Winace, lol.

Name:	storm1.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	11890   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	storm3.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	11892   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	storm4.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	11893   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	storm2.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	11894  
    Last edited by goanna; 26-07-2006 at 04:32 AM.

Why not just pack it all together into one archive like every other map release? Use the same host everyone else does or if you can't use rapidshare, you can do up to like 100 mb for one file.

Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion
    Hi SeriousToni. The map does play, and the links work - I've yet to play it properly though.

For those having trouble - click all the links and download all the files. Once you have them all downloaded, extract the .zip's. There should be two lots of extracted files (one containing the maps and motds, and one containing the wad). Use them, then delete all the downloaded files.
    Good to hear that! What Extraction Program du you use? Do you have some fun with that?

Quote Originally Posted by goanna
    Same, check screens for error readings:
    The first is what I get trying to open "stormit_tex2" the other files produce the other three error messages.
    Maybe your extraction program is outdated? I use WinAce. Just download all Parts into the SAME folder. Doubleclick on the .zip. Choose in the menu "Extracto to...". Choose your extraction-folder. Click extract. If all Parts are in the same directory your .zip is, then it must work. If not, the .zip can't find the other parts, maybe their name is not the same like the one of the zip or the parts ar not in the same folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Templeton Peck
    Why not just pack it all together into one archive like every other map release? Use the same host everyone else does or if you can't use rapidshare, you can do up to like 100 mb for one file.
    Did it work for you?
    Can you give me some hosts? Maybe some free? Because I have no $. And I have a week internet connection, so it wouldnt be so good to spend money every month because I upload nearly never big things. Or I send this map over ICQ to you and you upload it to your server.
    I'm sorry, I think too this is shit, but I want the people at least to be ABLE to play my map.

Und der SCHREI!

Hier wohnt mein Onkel

Hier wohne ICH

Use SIMPLE winzip, and here is NORMAL files host: http://www.filehosting.cc/

The Download now should work, a big thank you to Platinum! (see above)
    Now lets talk about the maps

Und der SCHREI!

Hier wohnt mein Onkel

Hier wohne ICH

Thumbs up Re: Stormit 1-4

Walter got stuck in the closet door and he would'nt move, guess thats only sometimes.
    Goanna and I rescued walter outta the house and led him to big gate, nothing happened.

Just so you know I did enjoy the map. will play the others through the week. The start is fun when you have a good squad. Keep up the mapping I see great potential.
    Last edited by Stoked; 27-07-2006 at 04:06 PM.
    heal to be healed....

kill or be Killed!

He must stand before the door, then there's a textmessage, that he's saved and you won. He must stand right before the door. btw, you can shoot the door

It is fun, right?

Und der SCHREI!

Hier wohnt mein Onkel

Hier wohne ICH

Manager

Just played it. Fun little map Nicely made and good use of textures and setting.

There is some room for improvement in the optimisations mainly. r_speeds are really high at the start of the map. Wpoly goes over 1700 and the epoly is really high because of the amount of grunts running around.

To lower the epoly you could do 2 things :
    - Remove all ammo and weapons at the start and put them into a CFG file so players start with all the weapons and ammo in their inventory.
    - Let the grunts respawn from a squadmaker so you can control how many are running around at 1 time, and thus keeping the epoly low.

To lower the wpoly :
    - Making the garden a bit shorter would work.
    - If the wpoly is still horrible you could tune back a little in detail, although that would quite ruin the nice looks of the map, so better not do that
    - You could try to close off the front house from the outside. You've already done that by keeping a few windows closed with a hatch, but one still has glass where you can see through. This makes the game add to wpoly from inside that room to the wpoly from outside. If you close all windows with a hatch it would close off the inside from the house and thus you'll have a better wpoly and better compiling times. Next to that you could move the breakable glass of the window to the inside (behind the hatch). Make sure the hatches are world items, no func_walls, else they will not block wpoly. (check attachment)

Walter gets stuck in the house a few times, so placeing some extra info_nodes would make him find his way around better. Might be nice to give him a custom name too, he is still called "scientist"

Final thing you need to do is make the map end. As soon Walter is saved trigger a multi_manager that first triggers the "you win" text and after a few seconds a game_end.

Name:	stormit0000.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	11895  

THAT is an answer! Great, you said what you don't like and brought me some great fix-tips for that (yeah I know about the r_speeds and the vis ,... I read many articles about that and I know what you mean, but thanks! I noticed the low framerate too at the beginning but I thought it was because I have highdef weapons and monsters ok, I can fix this!). AND you said what you did like! That's some kinda great! Most people only say what is bad, but you said it with tips to fix and you said whats good! Wonderful!

So I hope for more posts like this! When there's enough I will rework the hole stuff and bring some new ideas in it, so speak about stormit, please!

EDIT: The Window steel plates are randomly brought on the windows each time you play the map! Are you sure that I should close all the windows for poly?

Und der SCHREI!

Hier wohnt mein Onkel

Hier wohne ICH

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousToni
    EDIT: The Window steel plates are randomly brought on the windows each time you play the map! Are you sure that I should close all the windows for poly?
    Yeah, if all plates are entities then the whole inside of the house will be exposed to the outside and it will add to the wpoly when you view it from the front. Board up all windows (make the plates world items, no func_walls) so they VIS block the area and your r_speeds will be a lot better.

Here is a drawn example of the effect. The green dot is the player, the pink is the view of the player. In an easy way : everything that falls into the view of the player is counted for wpoly. Although the player would not be able to look through func_walls if they are not transparant, but the engine does looks through them. (when you look good at your map, you'll see that light is rendered through them too)

Name:	boardornot.PNG 
Views:	86 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	11899  
    Last edited by Hezus; 27-07-2006 at 10:38 AM.

Yes, thank you again Hezus, but I already understood how the engine works. :P I only asked about the plates because it was a nice random effect, but ok, it's the best way to make the game run faster and I will change this. Hmm.. I hope it looks good in the and with all windows closed, but there's no other way.
    How the hell did you make that precise construction picture??
    Thank you again for your effort Hezus!

Und der SCHREI!

Hier wohnt mein Onkel

Hier wohne ICH

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousToni
    How the hell did you make that precise construction picture??
    Thank you again for your effort Hezus!
    Hehe, that was just a quick draw in MSpaint from what I could remember from the layout.

Anyway, no problem

Well the new map zip I able to unzip after downloading a second time and over writing the first one. But there was nothing in the folder, however, the wad file I obtained. Haven't a clue why either. No matter; Stoked sent me the entire file over Yahoo messenger and we played it together(first one), amzingly entertaining for such a small map. Didn't check out the others yet since we ran out of time. Take Hezus's advise and you'll have an even better mappack.

Thank you for the flowers goanna

Und der SCHREI!

Hier wohnt mein Onkel

Hier wohne ICH

Manager

Oh yeah, uploaded the full package here :

http://www.goannasvencoop.com/Hezus/other/stormit.zip

Quote Originally Posted by Hezus
    To lower the epoly...
    To lower the wpoly...
    You forgot to mention the most effective method of doing this, which is using hint/skip brushes.

You might be able to use hint/skip brushes in such a way that you could enhance performance without removing the entity windows. I'm trying to think about how to do that, but it's 6:34 AM and I'm kind of tired right now
    Last edited by Aurora; 27-07-2006 at 10:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroFish View Post
    Hey guys remember when maps/games were made because the creator wanted to make them, and not because of what people wanted to play?

That was great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast