Thread: Quick status update

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Manager

Post Quick status update

We've run into a problem with v3.5 Bronze. Half-Life 1's engine on STEAM appears to be causing some sort of performance issue. This is something the beta testers, server admins, and myself have just recently realized.

We're getting massive framerate drops and high CPU usage on servers or client-servers at regular intervals. We've identified that the problem is linked to the NPC movement calculations. Finding a resolution to the issue is proving to be difficult, however.

The reason why it wasn't caught up until now, is because the development code was being run under the old Half-Life engine. This performance issue simply doesn't show up under the Sierra Retail (WON, Non-Steam) version of Half-Life 1.

When we do figure out how to work around this problem, we'll be sure to post an update.

SeriousSam is my uncle! SeriousToni's Avatar

Re: Quick status update

That's what I allways said - steam sucks
    But I'm sure you guys can make it!
    "Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Und der SCHREI!

Hier wohnt mein Onkel

Hier wohne ICH

Good luck.

Last edited by Aod; 27-04-2017 at 01:17 PM.

^^^ Sily Billy. You should go away and calm down if your going to be rude and impatient because they were using a superior version of Half Life.

To news post. OH NOES! Crap... that is bad news. Wel, good luck with finding the cause. Hope it doesn't take too long

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Aod
    stupid words
    The point is that valve messed up the half-life code, not that Sniper has been using WON which is far easier to work with.

Does not believe in Sven II El Gringo's Avatar

I warned you all! It's not coming out!
    Don't mind me.

Manager

words
    You, sir, are an idiot.

Get out.

Sorry but I didn't thought that the SvenCoop development team is so stupid!

Hmm....

Who is stupid now?

Should be: Sorry but I didn't THINK that...

Proficient in use with the hammer

Perhaps a little post removeal is in order, anyhow that is disasterous news i hope your able to find a workaround or fix

Last edited by Aod; 27-04-2017 at 01:17 PM.

beta status updated to open ?

may be the current beta could be open for a massive test ?
    as it seems to work on hl1110 , it will be cool to play it with that and the dev team would obtain some good feedbacks with various os's and cpu's with some steam's beta server testers .
    i can do some tests with pentium2 300 x2 dklx440 intel , pentium3 866 x2 vp6 abit , amd 1400 msi , pentium4 3000 ht p5p800se asus with windows and linux .

I don't think there is anyone who wouldn't mind (temporarily) going back to a WON version of HL if it meant they could play 3.5 already. Release the WON version now, and when you settle the NPC issues in a few months, release the steam version.

Isn't there already some kind of third-party WON replacement to make the server browsers work again?
    Join me, Luke, and together we can end this pointless Co-op and rule the galaxy as Father and Sven.

Tester

Pff "WON2" is totally stupid. forget it just let them do the steam version. On WON you would get too much out of sfx errors anyway.And without WON 2 you could just play alone=boring.
    or over LAN but still too much SFX.

I wish sniper good luck there for a solution.
    Born to Fight,
    Trained to Kill,
    Taught to Survive,
    and told to take no Prisoners.
    Visit http://www.youtube.com/NostalgicGames

Ahem, only one comment.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

well to be totally honest, i dont really care about that little extra time this is going to cause, ill just play it when its out. ofcourse valve made a big stupid here, i believe in the sven team, they will smooth it all out.

Do you smell what I smell? Walter's Avatar

zomg we are doomed

There is a fix for the out of sfx error that came with won2 before. It isn't any stupid. Steam is because valve get's paid for the shit they do and compared to won2 they are messing things they produced instead of avancing it like won2. It had to turn out like that with this steam thingy but I expect something worse: the death of half-life (and counter-strike 1.6 maybe too). I've seen how much things went wrong the past 3 months and something like that doesn't seem unlikeable now Why couldn't they just leave everything as good as it was? Bug fixinf doesn't mean making mod icons not work or destroying the beatifull hl_sp for multiplay support that came with one of the svencoop versions ever :'(.
    I HATE STEAM, STEAM SUCKS.
    amen

Why would you be using the WON version in the first place? When the steam version is the only one that's going to matter in the first place? I'm just curious.

It makes testing a great deal easier, which is very handy while getting most of the bugs out of the way. There were still quite a few small bugs, but most of the big ones had been worked out before this :/

Manager

Guys, don't turn this into another WON vs. Steam thread.

Manager

Why would you be using the WON version in the first place?
    That's a pretty easy thing to say. I didn't think there would be any sort of difference between WON and STEAM, with regards to the problem we're facing now.

Remember we have been developing on Half-Life WON long before STEAM was released. This just simply underlines that there is something wrong in the STEAM version of Half-Life.

Rather than make up some bullshit reason for the delay, I thought our readers would appreciate our honesty. You can't please everyone I guess. Not that we really care about people like 'AOD' anyway. We aren't working on Sven Co-op for your gratification alone.

< Third Person Mode > Just remember folks: Sniper doesn't care about your negative opinions. Sniper has a life too, and life is short. < / Third Person Mode >

Oh also, this was the result of some new code that was added within the past 2 months. We had to swap out the engine based NPC path finding for some big improvements. It is currently running great on the WON version of Half-Life.

Don't think for a second we've had this problem for the past few years of development, and we've just figured it out now. I'm not a dumbass.

I can answer your question, you!

Cause you didn't read my signature: "Sorry for my bad Englisch."

Well you sir, still did not change what you wrote with the edit button... which counter-acts against your attempt with trying to show me up which in short... You still didn't change your post.

Sniper, you are not a dumbass and don't let anyone tell you that you are! As soon as I learn C++ (this fall it will be CS 1B), I will try to help out in anyway that I can... and if I still can't help... then ill stick to mapping and occasional modeling.

Go Sniper. You don't suck.
    Last edited by pat|barnum; 30-07-2006 at 10:58 PM.

Proficient in use with the hammer

Sniper, dude. You are definately not a dumbass! You're puting mirrors, dynamic skies (whatever those are), other reflective surfaces and splashing water into Half-Life.

Just a little off topic by the way. Will the missing entity thing, here,
    http://www.svencoop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18714 be included in the sven coop 3.5 fgd?

Manager

Yeah trigger_setorigin will be much better in v3.5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast