Thread: Still looking for additional team members. Yadda yadda.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Still looking for additional team members. Yadda yadda.

Quote Originally Posted by JPolito
    for 3.5? No.

well you testers are saying it isnt anywhere near finished

Manager

Well we aren't saying its going to take another full year, thats for sure.

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fat Duck
    well you testers are saying it isnt anywhere near finished
    Uhh, who's saying that. We're beta testing aren't we?

yeah nice way of being vage, people are saying this and that and beta testers are saying everything is doomed.

As a great fan and long-time player of Sven Coop, I'd just like to know one way or the other that all this is actually going to get done in a reasonable time frame and that SC:Source is not going to be vaporware on account of you all being far, far too ambitious with the team you have.

It sort of feels like "Oh yes we will eventually do SC:Source, but first Sniper, with the help of his team (which apparently contains(ed) a few deadbeats), is going to re-invent the wheel on this outdated engine, out of a duty to the community).

I mean, let's not beat around the bush, Half-Life was released about eight years ago now, by my count. It's based loosely on Quake II, as I recall.

I am on a low-end PC, so I can appreciate that group of people who want attention and development for the older stuff that they play, but you know, just finish and work on Source already guys, I'm begging you. Even the great changes that will come in 3.5 will pale in comparison to a working Source version, and a working Source version seems like a very distant ambition under the current circumstances. What's more, if your computer won't run Half-Life 2, a game that I have run on 1.5 ghz with an 8600 Radeon and 512 RAM. . . You have to seriously get with it.

Pathogen: 3.5 is going to be released before starting on an SC source considering throwing away that much work would be quite insane. As to when it will be done, I certainly hope it will be soon, however there're a lot of unexpected things which can't be taken into account (car crashes come to mind).

Imo Sniper's already reinvented the wheel, however if possible he'd like to polish it before releasing it to the public.

Half-Life 1 is based on the Quake 1 engine with some tiny pieces from the Quake 2 engine, and of course Source is based entirely on the Half-Life 1 engine. So if HL1 (or in a way, Quake 1) is good enough for Source, I hardly see why it shouldn't be good enough for Sven Coop

Although I agree it would be good to get 3.5 released soon and start on a Source version, I think it will be a long time before it can match, let alone surpass 3.5, considering it's been over 7 years since the first version of Sven Coop was released, and probably has more changes made to it than any other Half-Life mod.

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage
    yeah nice way of being vage, people are saying this and that and beta testers are saying everything is doomed.
    are not

Quote Originally Posted by Kune
    Although I agree it would be good to get 3.5 released soon and start on a Source version, I think it will be a long time before it can match, let alone surpass 3.5, considering it's been over 7 years since the first version of Sven Coop was released, and probably has more changes made to it than any other Half-Life mod.
    Well my ultimate point is that the longer 3.5 takes, the longer it will obviously be before anyone sees SC:Source. I don't really see why SC:S taking so long is a strike against actually working on it (though as I recall there has been some).

If 3.5 takes another year (which no one is saying--yet), to me that just seems kinda ridiculous when it has already been three years.

We don't refer SC2 as SC: Source because people might think its a half-life: source mod, so call it SC2 or Sven Co-op 2 from now on.

Thumbs up Re: Still looking for additional team members. Yadda yadda.

Quote Originally Posted by arsis
    WoW is like being molested by your uncle. There's something off about him, but everyone regards him very highly, so you trust him, and then on a family camping trip out at Montauk Point he takes advantage of you. Years later, you accept and acknowledge what happened, but you still refuse to believe that he's scarred you, because that would put him in control, not you, and the last thing you want is a molester in control of your life -- but your denial doesn't make it the truth. You want to believe that deep down inside, WoW is a good person, and you see that WoW has very redeeming qualities, but you sit down to try and program WoW and all you can think of is that camel's hard, throbbing cock.
    OMFG seriously guys, you shoud consider stand up comedy, but who am I to judge ? anyway after reading this my first thought - Thou shalt never play World of Warcrap Cause you kind of turn into a retard once you start up WOW habit
    sorry for the offtopic message but just couldn't help it
    Last edited by Hadex; 22-09-2006 at 04:24 PM.

heh, im taking up 3 short courses on 3DS Max... just to attune my skills as ive been screwing with these apps for a long time and though that it would be good to get a qualification for it since i quite enjoy working with animation and modeling (bloody time consuming though and it isnt easy)

I often get the thought that the team is under pressure?
    sure, kick them off when they are slacking.. but exactly how many are there?
    (dont answer it, im going to google in a min)

Sniper if you can answer me this
    what are the pre-requisites to join the team? (i just like to see if i can work to your deadline and push myself further to beat it.)

be good to hear from you
    love the mod, love your work.
    (ive also donated to this mod so by golly i want my gold uzi's )
    Last edited by CyberBlade; 26-09-2006 at 03:03 AM.

Question Re: Still looking for additional team members. Yadda yadda.

This may sound like a stupid question, but what proggrams do you exactly use for the modding, texturing, moddeling, sounds ect.
    just curiouse of what programs i would have to get or learn to help out.
    Age-12
    Svencoop RULES!
    My maps: Arena

http://rivendell.jconserv.net/index.php

Modding: Visual Studio 2003.
    Texturing: Real Life(TM), photoshop, wally, ...
    Modeling: Milkshape 3D, 3DS Max, ...
    Sounds: Real Life(TM), Goldwave, any other sound editing software.
    Mapping: Hammer 3.4/3.5(GoldSource), Hammer 4.1(Source).

Well for this position your not going to get away with just Milshape skills.
    You need to learn some proffesional software.

Sven Co-op animator, beta tester, halfway decent modeler WAR_Nuker's Avatar

i sent a bigass application and got no responses. its been a week...is that a no?

i really hate just sitting here with at least some mapping/modeling/photoshop knowledge and not being able to do anything about it with regards to this mod. i really want to help this mod move along and id at least like to do some of the bitchwork if it comes down to it....

if we can get a community of people to submit stuff to this project, then the actual team can just pick and choose what content they want to add into the mod or edit it before they add it. itd be a step in the right direction...and then the team can focus moreso into the programming aspect, which if im not mistaken is what the struggle is besides a bunch of modeling they have to get done.

if we can get a community of people to submit stuff to this project, then the actual team can just pick and choose what content they want to add into the mod or edit it before they add it. itd be a step in the right direction...and then the team can focus moreso into the programming aspect, which if im not mistaken is what the struggle is besides a bunch of modeling they have to get done.
    I think thats a good idea, because some people dont like joining up when they wont be able to help with much and then leave cause they cant do anything else which makes them look stupid.

Also for modelling is it posible to use "Gmax"?
    Age-12
    Svencoop RULES!
    My maps: Arena

http://rivendell.jconserv.net/index.php

Detective Harry Callahan hydeph's Avatar

I do not want to be known as a Negative Ned but learning a complex program like 3DS Max or Hammer (not as complex) takes a good deal of commitment and dedication. The learning curve for such a program is anywhere from 6 months to 2 years

Furthermore, working on a mod is hard work and also requires a great deal of time. Screenshots and videos do not appear out of nowhere.

Time is certainly not a luxury 3.5 can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by Sph!nx
    Well for this position your not going to get away with just Milshape skills.
    You need to learn some proffesional software.
    There's nothing anti-hardcore about Milkshape. Half the reason why people use it is because they don't have $3000 dollars to spend on 3DSMax. I've also seen some high quality stuff come from milkshape users.

On a quick side note, and correct me if I'm wrong, I see import/export support for Autodesk 3DS files.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Ballblue
    On a quick side note, and correct me if I'm wrong, I see import/export support for Autodesk 3DS files.
    thats what i do. i constantly go back and forth between the two programs. i use max 8 for modeling and skinning and i export and finalize bones with milkshape....you just gotta be careful of certain glitches when you go with 3ds like that...but they are easily fixed

Quote Originally Posted by G.Ballblue
    There's nothing anti-hardcore about Milkshape. Half the reason why people use it is because they don't have $3000 dollars to spend on 3DSMax. I've also seen some high quality stuff come from milkshape users.
    Well I agree with you completely.
    I love MS3D! But in previous "help wanted" posts he clearly stated
    proffesional software. I would love to help him out too...

It also requires talent; some people just know how to use something while others just don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Solokiller
    It also requires talent; some people just know how to use something while others just don't.
    not necessarily, which is where i think we can all come into play. we arent all professional modelers, but for those who know how to use these programs they can at least construct something halfway decent. if all of us as a whole participate in making these 'halfway decent' models, we can submit them to the team and they can take it from there....delete the ones they dont like and edit the ones they like. it sure as hell beats having to make an awesome looking model from scratch.

also it would be us average joes submitting stuff, each with our own stories and agendas and reasons why we can or cannot help the mod at any particular time. however, if theres enough of us and a few of us are slacking for whatever reason, at least others will be there to pick up that slack.

the team should just post a bulletin...or create a new forum...describing what kind of specific models they are looking for....maybe a couple pictures or sketches....so we can all have at it and submit the compiled models and dev files and they can just review them and see what they think is at least remotely worthy.

...the other option is of course saying that we arent professionals so we cant help the team at all...which would indeed leave them with maybe a handful of truly professional modelers who, bear in mind, have lives of their own as well.

Manager

But how would they take these halfway decent models and edit them if theres no one to model in the first place?

wait...there are absolutely no active modelers on the team?

There are. I know there are many decent moddellers out there.
    I think I can produce better models than I have previously done so far
    and I know that does not only count for me. I know there are some great
    MS wizards out there who would like to help them out.

It's just the "proffesional software" part of the request.....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast