Thread: BarneyTheGreat1 - Beta

BarneyTheGreat1 - Beta

Hi, this is my first map.
    My map is not very long map, and it is very Easy!

Come with some comments on the map, and please say if there are a bugs in it.

(I dunno how to set screenshots in)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Apple Pie!.. It is the holy pie!

Re: BarneyTheGreat1 - Beta

I should use some comments

Drunk...with STYLE! Drunken Overlord's Avatar

I'll play it.

EDIT: That took 5 minutes. Short but sweet map. Try making it bigger. What's the story/objective of the map? Add some more weapons. Overall a great map. But if 1 player takes 5 minutes to beat it, 10 players could...well...beat it faster. I enjoyed it. You should continue onto the level. Make getting an RPG TOUGH, and put more gaurds of the gargantua. Make some spawn after you defeat them (alien slaves, add another grunt near the gargantua).

Note: Posting this (as well as calculating times to start up steam and extract the files etc took another 5 minutes, so don't calculate my post times and editing times).

EDIT 2: A glitch is just shooting the gargantua from the bottom of the stairs, without him even trying to hit you.
    Last edited by Drunken Overlord; 13-09-2006 at 10:14 AM.

The better happier you. A better, happier you. That quote will get you everytime...
    Yeah, let's see you laugh...WHEN I SAIL YOU INTO A STORM! HAHA! Damned quotes...they're so...remembering...

Thanks for the Replay Drunken Overlord

I will try do make it bigger and do so you cant shoot the gargantua from the bottom of the stairs..
    There is not any story/objective, yet. But i will try to make a story and some objectives..
    And i will make it harder..

Im trying to make my map harder, with the monster maker..
    BUT, Im new to monstermaker thing, so can some1 help me with it, (explaing how to use it and thing like that with it). Or is there any guide to it??..

Manager

Looks like a typical newbie map, hehe. Loads of prefabs, crates and use of the same texture in the whole map. But really, not bad for a first release ! All basic things are there, a house with a few levels, stairs, monsters, weapons. Seems you know how to work with them.

Other thing I've seen is that you use the carving tool to make holes into rooms. It's best not to carve. It's easy to use, but it creates really ugly holes if you don't use it carefully. Here is an example from your map where the carving went bad :

I've written a tutorial about good mapping that might help you improve your maps. It explains how some tools work and what is the best way to make maps :
    http://www.goannasvencoop.com/Hezus/...code/code.html

There are more tutorials on my site :
    http://www.goannasvencoop.com/Hezus/

The best thing you can do is read a lot of tutorials about mapping on the internet so you'll find out more about it. If you have questions then please ask in our SvenCo-op Mapping Forum, but make sure you have searched before you post problems. Often your problem or question is already answered on some sites.

As for the monster_maker :
    You better use the squad_maker, it has more options. Put a Squad_maker in your map. At Monster Type you type the monster you want (monster_alien_grunt or monster_barney) and then set how many you want at 1 time and how often they should spawn. I recommend you let enemies only spawn 1 time. If you want it to active you can put a name in the NAME field "squad1". And then make a trigger_once block in your map and put it's Target to "squad1". When players walk through the trigger_once, a monster will spawn from your squad_maker. If you want them to spawn right at the start of the map you can tag "Start On" in the Flags of the squad_maker.

Good start ! I hope you get better at mapping with our help

Thanks for the replay ...

And i do not use the carving tool, it is to hard to work with.. :P
    I like that you are saying about my map, Im really happy aboute, that it is not a complete loser map.
    I have read some of your tutorials now, there are really good..
    And Im sure that you will see more maps from me, Im makeing my next map, and it will be 10xBetter then this map..

I got a problem i cant find squad_maker, or trigger_once

I hope you can help me again...
    Last edited by Tigan; 14-09-2006 at 11:50 AM.

Manager

Maybe you forgot to add the svencoop.fgd to the Hammer Editor ?

- Go to TOOLS > OPTIONS > Game Configurations (tab)
    - At "Game Data Files" you click on the ADD button on the right and add the svenco-op.fgd that you can find in your SvenCo-op installation folder.
    - Remove half-life.fgd from this list if you have used it, because it can have conflicts with the one from Svencoop.

When you've done this you can find the squad_maker in the entity list.

How to make a trigger_once :
    Create a block with the AAATRIGGER texture (could be any texture, but you can recognise which blocks are triggers easily this way). Now select that block and click on the ToEntity button or press CTRL+T. Now you can set a class to this block in the list. Select trigger_once here. Now you can put a name of a entity in the Target field and as soon a player walks through this field (triggers blocks are invisible in-game) it will trigger the entity you've selected. As the name says, this trigger will only work once. If you want to make it trigger everytime a player walks through it you can use a trigger_multiple.