Thread: The changes comparing with original Half-Life, we need it?

The changes comparing with original Half-Life, we need it?

I think the idea of Coop mod is good, but some suggestions
    Downloading your Coop I wanted to play half-life with my brother with the SAME monsters and weapoins, without respawn, monsterinfo etc multiplayer things. Your changes made Half-life for me not playable, your changes comparing with original game RUINED the atmosphere, changed gameplay of the game...
    Can I download somewhere normal mod without these monster changes (they are in other places etc.), medical kits etc., original half-life but in coop ("jumping" levels aren't problem for me)?

Manager

Re: The changes comparing with original Half-Life, we need it?

The only way is to ripent all the maps yourself... And that's going to take a long time. The sp maps weren't officially supported by svencoop until a guy called guardian who ran a 16 player server edited all the maps to work. Since there were so many players on his server he had to add extra monsters.

Thumbs down Re: The changes comparing with original Half-Life, we need it?

So, i have to play something other...
    I changed timelimits in ALL maps, but I think hacking all maps - it's not for me...

Manager

In general, we provide basic support for Single Player Co-op.

Our main focus is fighting the half-life monsters with your friends on custom missions, not necessarily playing the single player game.
    - David "Sniper" McDermott
    Sven Co-op Lead Programmer
    "I mean it's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

I've also see this as a slight problem. I talk about the additional monsters.
    The problem is, that some funny and unique places (like the minefield in surface tension) were replaced by just a moster AND there are way too many monsters which are way too hard to beat.
    Gina is not ugly! You just have to turn cl_himodels on!

The problem is, that some funny and unique places (like the minefield in surface tension) were replaced by just a moster AND there are way too many monsters which are way too hard to beat.
    I can see your reasoning with the minefield being replaced by a monster, but there being too many monsters hard to beat? No way. That's why there's a feature that allows you to "co-operate" with a friend or so and beat the Singleplayer Campaign of Half-life in a Multiplayer style.

Really? I thought that was what respawn was for. As long as there's a wall somewhere, you can kill just about anything without dying with the right AI manipulation.

Well if you feel unhappy with the additional monsters just rip the original half-life maps and put them in your svencoop/maps folder that will get the maps as they were before.

Jill_Valentine

seriously i dont play HLSP on svencoop, because it dosent requires 2 players to complete the mission
    well maybe on the xen part you might feel shorthanded alone...

the entire single player is ok

and yes, the addition of monsters did ruin the map a bit...
    but what i cant tolerate is the airsoft-like weapons in the single player

i used to count shots, on easy mode, it takes 2 shots to kill a headcrab, 4 hit to kill
    barnacle and monsters etc etc......

but in SC the weapons all feel weaker because of increased enemy health...

seriously, dont play single player mode on SC 3.0, it sux
    maybe in future version there is a way to improve it, but the current version
    really sux

I'm glad I'm not the only shot counter. Sure, you didn't need two people to play SP but you don't really anyway unless you need boosts or buttons. Aside from the secret weapons in the HLSP there's no reason not to do it alone. But the increased health was basically just throwing the game on extra hard mode and going through without the grunts dropping ammo. If we didn't respawn, that'd be one hell of a game.

Jill_Valentine

Quote Originally Posted by Tekker
    I'm glad I'm not the only shot counter. Sure, you didn't need two people to play SP but you don't really anyway unless you need boosts or buttons. Aside from the secret weapons in the HLSP there's no reason not to do it alone. But the increased health was basically just throwing the game on extra hard mode and going through without the grunts dropping ammo. If we didn't respawn, that'd be one hell of a game.
    no wonder i find the game hard... the enemy dosent drop ammo...

in the original half-life player get resupplied when they killed an enemy grunt or crowbar
    a friendly barney for the ammo

in sven coop, other than dealing with extra health of the enemy, you dont get resupplied
    which means you have to keep dying for enough ammo to get you through

Do you smell what I smell? Walter's Avatar

Is it too hard for someone to work on a decent coop version of HL for 2 to 4 players, but monsters should be exactly the same?
    Instead of working on a big, very detailed map that sucks on fun someone could do this for the community.

You'd need to add in the forced co-op puzzles to make it for 2-4, and then it'd be more a complete re-doing of the SP. Of course if you did that, you could widden the halls and vents so that having brain dead morons following you isn't so bad. I really think that HL had no real way of being a co-op game without added monsters and health. Even in Decay, the two player HL game for Playstation where you're the holo gram girl and her friend, had no difficulty setting because the enemies HAD to be so much stronger just to be fair. Even the puzzles were entirely team work and not problem solving.

If you're really taking too much of a beating, you should modify the skill.cfg. Make sure you create a backup before messing with it. Basically, in the skill.cfg, modify everything so that it goes back to the original Half-Life/Opposing Force settings. This will make everything as weak as it was in the original Half-Life game, back when one player was supposed to fight everything by himself.
    You could also get RCbot and add bots to your co-op game so you have some backup AI players to help you fight the large amounts of enemies.

http://rapidshare.com/files/8069313/skill.cfg.html There's a modified version of the skill.cfg setting everything not Sven Co-op specific (like the uzi) back to its original settings. Remember that the skill.cfg only concerns default settings, maps that have their own skill settings will override it.