Thread: Why are the Half-Life single player (HLSP) maps so hot?

Linux development & test edman747's Avatar  
    Programmer

Why are the Half-Life single player (HLSP) maps so hot?

Here is a snippet from an article by Norman Porter.

Is true cooperative multiplayer becoming a staple in our gaming future or is it just whistling Dixie?

Those who have been lucky enough to pc game in the early to mid 90’s know this is a refreshing and longed for return to the complete multiplayer experience. For those who have only been gaming the last couple of years, true cooperative will add a new dimension to your pc multiplayer experience.

What is true cooperative multiplayer you ask? Let’s first determine what it’s not.

Contrary to some developers mislabeling their products in recent years; cooperative multiplayer or coop as we’ll refer to it, is not team deathmatch, team king of the hill, attack and defend, team flagball, or any of the other multiplayer games. If you’re adding bots or anything to a map then it’s not true coop. For example, if someone says Unreal Tournament 2004 has coop multiplayer, they are incorrect.

The only exception to this would be adding AI players in real-time strategy games. Real time strategy games use what they call a skirmish mode. In skirmish mode, you can pick AI players to team up against with your friends. Although, this is similar to true coop it is not considered true coop as you can not play through the single player campaigns. Not at the beginning of this article anyway!

True coop multiplayer occurs when you and some friends join together to play through a mission or preferably the entire single player campaign against the computer. This is usually done on a local area network (LAN) in a home or business.

Now that we have the ground rules defined, let’s find out where coop went the last several years.

full article here: http://www.flexbeta.net/main/printarticle.php?id=71

This begs the question, has sven co-op some how missed the boat?
    By only providing basic support for the single player maps...
    . What are you looking at?

Re: Why are the Half-Life single player (HLSP) maps so hot?

Quote Originally Posted by edman747
    This begs the question, has sven co-op some how missed the boat?
    By only providing basic support for the single player maps...
    Did you ever play SvenCo-op before asking that question ?

We didn't miss the boat, we ARE the boat. Valve missed the boat by leaving out co-op mode from Half-life (they announced a co-op mode back when it was still in developement). This lead to people start making SvenCo-op. First it was just 1 map, bringing co-op play to a Half-life map. Almost directly after that we added the Singleplayer support. We do not have complete freedom, because Valve holds the sources of the SP maps, so only by hacks and ripent we were able to create a working HLSP Co-op version.

Granted : it's not 100% the SP experience like in HL, but it comes close to it and was adjusted in difficulty (at the beginning way too much imho) so it wouldn't be an easy run. And you prolly noticed we don't just "only provide basic support for SP maps". Nearly all custom maps are comming out of the community.

I think that SvenCo-op has done the best it could to fill the gap where, indeed, Valve missed the boat back in 1997 when they decided to drop the co-op support. Now SvenCo-op is more than just that.. it's a standalone mod that can swing themes and gameplay into so many different ways a different HL mod has never been able to.

Quote Originally Posted by Hezus
    Now SvenCo-op is more than just that.. it's a standalone mod that can swing themes and gameplay into so many different ways a different HL mod has never been able to.
    Thats what svencoop was build for,right? Not the SP-maps

Sven Co-op relies heavily on user-created content rather than the Half-Life Singleplayer alone. -Mad Jonesy's Wikipedia Foundation for Sven Co-op before it got Deleted [again?]

relies on more then the single player maps...

Quote Originally Posted by Hezus
    it's a standalone mod that can swing themes and gameplay into so many different ways a different HL mod has never been able to.
    Thats why this is my favourite mod, it alows for more creative freedom. I don't have to have head crab zombies, I can have G-Virus zombies with model and sound replacement. I don't have to have a glock for the weapon_9mmhandgun, I can give the players berettas and change the sound to sound more like berettas. I can have Nazis for Hgrunts, Panther Eyes for Alien Slaves, cops for Barneys and a candy cane for a crowbar. Anything I want in my maps I can put in with Sven Co-op.

That guy's just talking about PC co-operative modes, right? Since the 1980s, tons of console games have had "true co-op", even though co-op for most games is simply having TWO players kill everything instead of one.
    Hardly any game developers in the 2000s have made co-op modes in PC games (or even most console games), even if their games could easily support it. Halo 1 and Star Wars: Republic Commando have co-op modes on the XBOX, they have no co-op modes on the PC for some reason, even though, like the dude said, it's easy to get two computers connected to eachother in one household, enabling cooperative gameplay.
    But that guy talks like co-op can only be done with people in the same house. That's true for most games where the players must rely heavily on communication, but Sven Co-op is a clear example that co-op can work over the Internet.

Anyway, to get on subject with you guys... Sven Co-op IS "true co-op". Players get together and go through single player-type adventures where they must fight non-player-like AI and sometimes solve puzzles, though not always requiring eachothers' participation.

My favourite old co-op game: NARC