Thread: Sc_Persia (Final)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Level Designer at Streum On Studio Skacky's Avatar

Sc_Persia (Final)

Persia final version is up here :
    [Download URL Removed; map is included in Sven Co-op 4.0]

Level of the map : MEDIUM
    Duration : LONG

24 hours ago, we received a transmission from an arabic TV channel. Terrorists said
    that they have a huge fire power and they will attack a great city in the next 48 hours.
    A squad has been sent to the presumed place of the terrorist's HQ, but we have lost
    communications for 2 hours. Spies said that the squad managed to place explosives on
    the great fire power, and told us that this power is a huge mecha with 2 turrets, 2 miniguns
    and a anti-air missile battery. The explosives are quite dangerous, so the terrorists didn't
    defused it.
    You were sent with your team for make a big boom and destroy this damn war machine. Remember, if you fail, a great city will be destroyed !

Good luck soldier !

Mission :

- Make your way through the streets, and reach the radiopost hold by the terrorists.
    - Steal all the secret documents of the terrorist engeeners for stop the creation of
    these weapons.
    - Open the door of the fortress's entrance.
    - Enter the fortress and make your way to the mecha.
    - Press the detonator and RUN !!

Since the WIP thread, I've updated some things :
    - Reduced some areas, the wpolys are lower, but for the moment there isn't "great" optimisation, so the map may be a little laggy on the lower systems.
    - Added foliage on some walls, but it isn't very finished, so there isn't many many foliage.
    - Added a big ammount of sound (ah, the sound of the cliff is great )
    - Added NULL everywhere !!

Final ver Changelog :
    [FIXED] Strange bugs
    [FIXED] My english *bleh*
    [FIXED] Cfg file, you've got now the weapons at start
    [FIXED] .res file updated
    [ADDED] Easter-egg
    [ADDED] Clip blocks in some areas
    [ADDED] monster_tripmines in some spots
    [ADDED] Explosive weaponry at the hanging passage
    [REDUCED] Polycount and Entity Count
    [REDUCED] RoboGrunts hp, 350 --> 225
    [CHANGES] Removed some snipers and added some grunts in the hang passage

Version 1.1 changelog :
    [ADDED] A little plank on the small wall which helps in the jump for reach the balcony.
    [ADDED] Some cameras for help the players who don't know that shortcuts exist.
    [ADDED] A text which explain that the players must hang on the fence with a camera.
    [ADDED] Two ropes in the same passage for help the players stucked in bottom.
    [FIXED] The clip over the crate is now closest to the arch.
    [FIXED] The robots at the end used to have a little hp. They have now a great ammount of hp (hehehe)
    [FIXED] The cliff now joins the building in the first screen of Arcalis.
    [FIXED] The building has been enlarged by the add of another wall. (Second screen of Soul)
    [FIXED] A small texture bug in the house.
    [FIXED] Snipers won't be stucked in the fortress now.
    [FIXED] The sound bug in the hang passage.
    [FIXED] The bug that allows players to go on the top balcony in the rope passage.

Known Bugs/Issues
    - For the moment, the hanging passage isn't perfect. When you are under the fence/ladder, jump, jump and re-jump. You will finnally grip on the ladder.. I dunno why and how this bug happened, the first time it was functionnal without any bug.
    - The Snipers could be stucked on a specific roof (I've seen them running in circle lol)

Here are the pics :

Here is the download : (5,37 Mo)

If you create a server for playtesting, tell me
    Last edited by JPolito; 24-12-2008 at 03:50 PM.

Re: Sc_Persia (Beta)

Yay! I have to go to school soon, but when i get back I will try this for sure .

Alors pour commencer, eh bien je te félicite pour ce travail, une map bien detaillée qui fait plaisir aux yeux, on en voit pas tout le temps

donc sinon, voila quelque trucs que j'aie pu relever :

- Deja, un manque cruel de munition au départ, j'arrive avec un 357 et 6 balles, bah je vais pas aller loin. (la mp5 est pas très utile)

- Encore au départ, je m'avance, je regarde, je voit un trou é_è

Fait en sorte que ca se touche pour être plus crédible.

- Espece de conasse ? ca ma bien fait rire

- Comment on passe ?

J'aie eu beau essayer, pas moyen de trouver, du coup j'aie fait le saut en noclip.

- Pense a poser un bloc en texture CLIP, j'aie remarquée qu'on pouvait passer

+ Magnifique architecture dans certains endroits

+ L'idée de base

+ Aucun endroit ne se ressemble !

+ Je pourrait rajouter beaucoup de +

Félicitations et bonne continuation, j'attends impatiament une suite

Nice Arcalis, my turn.
    DLing as I type

Merci pour ce beta test Arcalis.
    Pour le bas de la falaise, pour le moment ce n'est pas fini, mais je me demande tout de même si je rajouterais quelque chose (dû à des fps plutôt bas, j'hésite un peu.

Pour monter sur le balcon, en fait, il faut être à deux.

Et enfin le bloc clip, il y en a un mais derrière la caisse, j'ai oublié de le bouger (il y avait un camion à cet endroit là avant).

Thanks for the beta test Arcalis
    The bottom of the cliff, for the moment it's not finished, but 'im wondering if I add something, (due to low fps in this area for the lower systems)

For jump on the balcony, we need two guys.

And the clip block, there is one, but behind the crate. I've just forgotten to move it. A truck used to be there and not a crate.

It looks very impressive, I like it alot and it will be a good map, nice to play with the added transition of height.

A few problems though,

Check out that wpoly!

Also, this building doesnt quite look right - too thin :-p

A few suggestions for the polycount.

Try using models to ease the wpoly down a bit, there is alot of plants etc that could help if changed.
    Also, each area is quite small, just add HINTs and see if it calms it down- I think it might help a fair bit

Additionally, as said above- I couldnt get to the first ledge and had to use lower gravity to get there, either im blind or you may have forgotten something.

The spawn area itself is stunning, I really like it

Nice work so far

The building will be resized, thanks.

For the wploy, I know, I know, but for the moment I didn't do great optimisation like i said in the first post.
    I've already my idea about the hints usage.

Thanks for the beta test

EDIT : For the models, my SvenCoop crashes when I use a model (monster_furniture or other), so for the moment i won't add models.

For the balcony, as i said, you must be two in order to reach the balcony

Ajoute une caisse qui permet de pouvoir passer seul ou quelque chose du genre ^^

Add a box that give the possibility to go alone or something like that

I've just played the map on a server with 8-10 players, and it was very fun

Here are some pics of the game

But i've noticed that a lot of people didn't know that the fence in the second height passage is a ladder, so i will make a game_text which will explain that the players must grip on the ladder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sc_persia_test1.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	12216   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sc_persia_test2.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	12217   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sc_persia_test3.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	12218   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sc_persia_test4.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	12219  

This map is very well done. Good job

Quote Originally Posted by Skacky
    I've just played the map on a server with 8-10 players, and it was very fun

Here are some pics of the game

But i've noticed that a lot of people didn't know that the fence in the second height passage is a ladder, so i will make a game_text which will explain that the players must grip on the ladder.
    Yay, my server. Had fun, good map, can't wait to see the future changes.

Hello.
    I've just updated the map. Here's the changelog :

Version 1.1 changelog :
    [ADDED] A little plank on the small wall which helps in the jump for reach the balcony.
    [ADDED] Some cameras for help the players who don't know that shortcuts exist.
    [ADDED] A text which explain that the players must hang on the fence with a camera.
    [ADDED] Two ropes in the same passage for help the players stucked in bottom.
    [FIXED] The clip over the crate is now closest to the arch.
    [FIXED] The robots at the end used to have a little hp. They have now a great ammount of hp (hehehe)
    [FIXED] The cliff now joins the building in the first screen of Arcalis.
    [FIXED] The building has been enlarged by the add of another wall. (Second screen of Soul)
    [FIXED] A small texture bug in the house.
    [FIXED] Snipers won't be stucked in the fortress now.
    [FIXED] The sound bug in the hang passage.
    [FIXED] The bug that allows players to go on the top balcony in the rope passage.

I just need to compile (20 min) and the map is here !

EDIT : OK guys, the map is here !
    Last edited by JPolito; 24-12-2008 at 03:51 PM.

Manager

Nice map Very well worked out theme and awesome monster placements. I love the battles that include strategic heights. Good gameplay that endures for quite a while. Good use of shortcuts as well. Well done !

I've found a little bug :
    You can skip the hanging passage by just boosting players on top of it and you can wall through the ground above the last balcony. I think you might want to clip this, because I'm under the impression this is not the way you want people to get there. (Check attachement screenshot)

Suggestions :
    - Put weapons at the start into the map CFG so you dont have to pick them up everytime.
    - The 6shot colt is a bit overpowered for this map imho. You can pop those grunts really easy this way. Neither does the weapon feel like a standard issue to a soldier. 9mm pistol would be better imho. It will be balanced out by the sniper rifle later on, so it will not be a loss.
    - The friendly grunts could have a bigger role in the map, it's still pretty much grunts vs players in this map.
    - A knife model as a crowbar replacement would increase the military feeling a bit.
    - This map has a serious lack of grenades ! The enemy lobs these things at you every spare second they have, so at least give me the chance to return the favor
    - Tune down the amount of snipers at the part with the balconies. There are way too many of them there.
    - Add tripmines to the map and the players arsenal. It would make a great addition to all the small streets and buildings.

Oh, and please speak English on these boards. I know it easier to express yourself in your own language, but these are English Boards after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hezus
    Nice map Very well worked out theme and awesome monster placements. I love the battles that include strategic heights. Good gameplay that endures for quite a while. Good use of shortcuts as well. Well done !
    Thanks a lot.

I've found a little bug :
    You can skip the hanging passage by just boosting players on top of it and you can wall through the ground above the last balcony. I think you might want to clip this, because I'm under the impression this is not the way you want people to get there. (Check attachement screenshot)
    Yes, I know it. I will put clip on the structure.

- Put weapons at the start into the map CFG so you dont have to pick them up everytime.
    It will be done, because i find myself it's boring to take weapons every time.

- The 6shot colt is a bit overpowered for this map imho. You can pop those grunts really easy this way. Neither does the weapon feel like a standard issue to a soldier. 9mm pistol would be better imho. It will be balanced out by the sniper rifle later on, so it will not be a loss.
    I will probably remove the Magnum.

- The friendly grunts could have a bigger role in the map, it's still pretty much grunts vs players in this map.
    I have already my idea of a sequence of grunts/grunts battle

- A knife model as a crowbar replacement would increase the military feeling a bit.
    The problem is that i can't at all use any model, my Svencoop keep crashing, and 20 minutes compile is so frustrating for an error

- This map has a serious lack of grenades ! The enemy lobs these things at you every spare second they have, so at least give me the chance to return the favor
    Kehehe <-- insert sadistic laugh here

- Tune down the amount of snipers at the part with the balconies. There are way too many of them there.
    I agree.

- Add tripmines to the map and the players arsenal. It would make a great addition to all the small streets and buildings.
    Great idea ! I didn't thought about it !

Oh, and please speak English on these boards. I know it easier to express yourself in your own language, but these are English Boards after all.
    No problem

great map man ill download it after im done with my homework project

Thumbs up Re: Sc_Persia (Beta)

Thought it was a pretty creative map using dodging, stealth and lots of team work to make it out alive. Good job.
    heal to be healed....

kill or be Killed!

Deep underground in Snark Cafes TOP secret reserch labs

Very well done map should be on the Snark-cafe server in the next couple of days
    [edit 17/01] alas the entity count is to high for the Snark-Cafe server
    Last edited by TheBard108; 16-01-2007 at 11:56 PM.
    SnarkCafe Admin / mapper
    We're back http://snarkcafe.net/

I like most of the changes in the new 1.1 beta, but some of the people on my server (well one person mainly, complained at the numerous cut scenes.

sven name: that guy who screams and runs. Cybermunkey01's Avatar

wow good work! I might have to reinstall Sven coop just to play this map

Excellent Map. Best one I played in a while.

Unfortunaly there are a few things, that keep me from giving you 10 of 10 points.
    - The hanging passage. I'd suggest to make it a bit longer, so it reaches over save ground and players can try how to jump on. We couldn't without gravity.

- We played with 2 people and I experienced the bots to be VERY annoying and a lot too strong at some places. Every Time we died and came back, they were already at full health again, because they regenerate.
    So either:
    - Add Grenades earlier or right at the spawn - whats a military special unit without them anyway?
    - Reduce the number of bots / put human soldiers there instead.
    - Lower their Healthpoints
    - Add some more Shortcuts

Another thing that I would have liked to see:
    - Make the friendly NPCs respawn. At least the Medic!

9 of 10 points from me.

Hey cool map was fun to play it especially the end rocked allthough it was really hard ^^

I question myself: why haven't I downloaded and played this yet? Downloading now.

Manager

I finally got around to playing this with Nih. Great map, definitely not made for two players.

I don't think it's quite balanced weapon-wise. I would have given the players at least a few grenades. It's impossible to not die every time you come to snipers and robo grunts. The robo grunts also may have too much health, but that didn't really matter.

Other than that, this map was excellent.

Manager

Finally got to play this. The map had a real cool thing going with the sniper and grenade throwing grunts on the balconies. However, it was just ridiculously hard for 2 players. Like the others said, add grenades, but don't remove the .357. Also, the robogrunts seriously need to have lower health. 350 is way too much when there are so many of them and so few explosives and experimental weaponry.

If this map was just a bit more balanced, it would definately be BOMS worthy.

And here's a picture JPolito took of me being shot off a balcony

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...persia0002.jpg

more wpoly = more fun Tuesday's Avenger's Avatar  
    Contributor

Played through this with one other buddy (unfortunately, he sucks at jumping, so he may not have liked the map so much ) and I loved it. It's a twist on the gameplay that makes firefights very 3-dimensional and has you checking up, down, left, and right for incoming fire.

But honestly the biggest plus on this map for me was the fact that it is simply gorgeous.

I didn't complete it; lots of people before me have made clear the difficulty of this map for two people; but I agree with Nih about lowering the robogrunt HP. Their resistance to bullets already makes them tough opponents, but that kind of night-indestructability leaves players nowhere to run, and can lead to too much of the "run in and hurt it some more before we die" mindset (again, this was made worse by only having two people).

Other than that this map was a joy to play, had me more immersed in the game and thinking more strategically. Wonderful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast