Thread: [SC] One

[SC] One

0 N E
    Hey, first map after a few years break of mapping, so I guess it's a recovery map ^^
    Nothing too special, just a bit of fun and killing - Like cheap version of Garghunt3 XD It was just supposed to be a map for some friends to play but I'll share it anyways, screen shots in game didn't wanna work so here's some from the editor, and one I took in a really early version of it when it still had ally grunts at starting point! I had alot of weird errors while creating it with decals and stuff so you'll probably notice some missing, like blood, cracks in walls and explosion marks around the place but you get the point. I tried to add alot of little spots to go to as well. (Plus there's the egon weapon somewhere in the map if you can find it)

STORY
    Not much of one in here I'm afraid, just an area to find spots to kill. Guess it's just you're the only one ally grunt left to fight the rest off. There's no end to this map, but the Gargantua will only spawn 10 times - that's kinda the end.

Work Time
    A few days, maybe less.

I'm gonna start another map straight away, it'll take alot longer... gonna be a walkthrough map with much more detail :]

Enjoy and comments appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.PNG 
Views:	236 
Size:	402.5 KB 
ID:	12342   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.PNG 
Views:	177 
Size:	350.3 KB 
ID:	12343   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	INGAMEMAN.JPG 
Views:	304 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	12345  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Manager

Re: [SC] One

I've been away from the showcase for a while. Let's get back to my roots

I like the detailworks in this map. Well done there. What surely needs fixing is the leaks in the map. I've seen you've skyboxed this map and that's what creates the 3500wpoly at the start. Would be good to change the layout too. More places to go to the left and right of the map, and not just forward.

I've written a tutorial on making outdoor rock area's that will improve compiling time and r_speeds for a great deal. You can find it here :
    http://www.goannasvencoop.com/Hezus/...php?topic=22.0

Keep it up

Thanks, my next map is already looking and feeling better.
    Only one comment? damn.

Any other comments guys?
    Last edited by Devile; 03-04-2007 at 05:26 AM.

Contributor

Its not bad but I did experience some slowdowns and it needs a readme or motd!

what can i say... if Corona were still here he would tell you that your map sucks, but he isn't. well your map although it has some nice basic design, has terrible monster placement and respawning monsters, too many monsters with too much hp. thre are no rest spots for the player as well, as soon as they get into the building some in there kills them, then they have to go through the mayem outside again and again, very frustrating map; we gave up before finishing it.

This map is quite deceiving, although it looks ok, there are many errors that become apparent after playthrough. Ignoring a few of the stated problems, the map feels very much like a walkthrough map... that is, until the enemies keep spawning in. Enemies you kill spawn in very soon after, feeling like there is no sense of progression, especially once you cleared the room, only for the Garg to show up.