Thread: On the brink of giving up...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation On the brink of giving up...

Whilst me and a friend were happily searching Google for a good co-op game, we stumbled upon Sven Co-op. I decided to give it a download on the two LANned computers across a router (I've not changed ports yet). I dug out Half Life Generation and installed away.

- Half life installed
    - Sven co-op installed
    - Blue shift and opposing force installed
    - Sven co-op updated

I don't use STEAM (too much hassle for LAN) yet when I try to run the game on either computer, the game just quits out. Very useful. One of them gratifies me with reading what (could) be the error before telling me it needs to close, the other quits immediately.

NET Ports: server 27015, client 27005
    Server IP address 192.168.1.101:27015
    Could not get IPX socket name, IPX disabled
    Reason: WSAENOTSOCK
    couldn't exec banned.cfg
    couldn't exec listip.cfg

BUILD 1792 SERVER (0 CRC)
    Server # 1
    ]

It should be noted that when I try to play Internet, or access the chat rooms, I am told I do not have the latest version. However, upon hitting "update", I am told I have the latest version (Despite never having had patched)

I look forward to playing this, but this error is... um... fatal. Help appreciated.

Re: On the brink of giving up...

Well, I haven't use WON for a long time and I don't know where to find it but you'd need the latest half-life update before steam came out.

Still, I suggest using steam. After succesfull install on both computers you can run steam in off-line mode. Steam is the easiest thing to do.

good luck

Detective Harry Callahan hydeph's Avatar

www.steampowered.com

WON shut down a long time ago.

Did you just install Half-Life or did you also patch it? If not reinstall hl then install the update and then install mods. This works fine for me.

Manager

Lan does work on WON, however when I used WON to test maps on Win98, the thing just liked to crash all day for no reason. Most errors are unexplainable; but like Sph!nx said, you probably need the latest update before they started using Steam. I have no idea where to find it.

Is Opposing Force required? I seem to have lost my CD Key for it, so I doubt it'll work well on Steam.

svencoop 3.0 installs files in the hl.exe , one is fmod.dll and others are for hl engine steam .
    they break hl won . reinstall hl then use 1110 update . install svencoop in hl\sc\svencoop [to move it to hl folder after exe exit ] or reinstall hl then use 1110 update in a new directory and copy fmod.dll in it then copy or move the svencoop folder you have installed . delete old hl install ;]

Manager

I don't know what sixcentgeorge just said, but no, opposing force isn't required.

steam checks files in halflife folder aka where is hl.exe
    won does not have that .
    " svencoop installer " installs files in the folder where hl.exe .
    steam overwrites these old engine files . won does not . as theses dlls are old steam engines files they corrupt hl won install .
    as a workaround : installing in hlfolder\sc\svencoop lets " svencoop installer " installs files in the folder sc and not in hlfolder .

Can't make much of it either. The way I did it in the past :

- Install HL (original cd)
    - Install HL update
    - Install Svencoop
    - play

Thumbs up the brink of giving up : me too

i am disapointed , 2 members of beta-test team do not understand how to install svencoop-won or how works steam either .
    that topic enlights me why sc3.5 beta ~ bronze is so long to get out of the box .

We are having difficulty understanding you. (don't take this personal) and what I have figured out form your posts is that you're combining steam and won? The correct way to do it is in my last post.

Donated 15NS$ for Sven's Holiday at the Bahamas Puchi's Avatar  
    Artist

Re: the brink of giving up : me too

Quote Originally Posted by sixcentgeorge
    i am disapointed , 2 members of beta-test team do not understand how to install svencoop-won or how works steam either .
    that topic enlights me why sc3.5 beta ~ bronze is so long to get out of the box .
    ever thought of that some ppl may suck at tech support but still try their best?
    it got nothing to do with them being a beta tester.
    THEY at least try to help, unlike you, who only said "hey look! two beta testers dont know how to install sc for won!"
    we all use steam, won was shut down three or four years ago. why would we remember how to install sc for won?
    even though it isnt hard, install hl, patch hl, install sc.
    when it doesnt work, it got nothing to do with the beta testers trying to help.
    there are by the way some more people having problems with sc and won. SO WHAT NOW, HUH?
    Do it with passion, or not at all.
    Do not say everything you know. Know everything you say.
    [ MarySP ][ nacl-h2o ][ The next SC Version ♥♥♥♥ing pwns! ][Puchis Maps ]

Manager

Beta testers don't have anything to do with 3.5's development, except for bug reports. Don't blame anything on us because of your shoddy english speaking skills.

You could try disconnecting from the internet while you run LAN games... it works for me.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

bringing up...

Quote Originally Posted by Sph!nx
    We are having difficulty understanding you. (don't take this personal) and what I have figured out form your posts is that you're combining steam and won? The correct way to do it is in my last post.
    me combining ? just showing that svencoop installer bugs won
    i used svencoop30full.exe 127 MB (133,807,120 bytes) , as path i said E:\steamlf-life
    i did the dos command : dir *.*
    look that is in Directory of E:\steamlf-life

04/13/2007 09:52 PM <DIR> .
    04/13/2007 09:52 PM <DIR> ..
    04/13/2007 09:52 PM <DIR> SvenCoop
    03/25/2003 02:58 PM 1,114,822 hw.dll
    03/25/2003 02:58 PM 1,018,693 sw.dll
    04/30/2003 10:27 AM 1,531,904 swds.dll
    11/17/2003 11:49 AM 154,624 fmod.dll
    4 File(s) 3,820,043 bytes
    3 Dir(s) 4,558,520,320 bytes free

hw.dll sw.dll and swds.dll are "Very Important Files" of half life engine : steam or won format , with won not compatible with stream
    Quote Originally Posted by Puchi
    THEY at least try to help, unlike you, who only said "hey look! two beta testers dont know how to install sc for won!"
    we all use steam, won was shut down three or four years ago. why would we remember how to install sc for won?
    even though it isnt hard, install hl, patch hl, install sc.
    when it doesnt work, it got nothing to do with the beta testers trying to help.
    there are by the way some more people having problems with sc and won. SO WHAT NOW, HUH?
    got to remind you
    Quote Originally Posted by news of 31 July, 2006 | Sniper | Problem Solved... Hooray!
    Looks like we've found the issue. It was just a one line fix.

As to why there was a performance difference between the old Half-Life WON engine and Half-Life STEAM is still pretty strange. Querying of CVARs causes a lot of overhead in STEAM.

Other than that though, Sven Co-op v3.5 under STEAM is running great now. There shouldn't be any more surprises like this.

this topic should become sticky ;] [8

Donated 15NS$ for Sven's Holiday at the Bahamas Puchi's Avatar  
    Artist

sniper tests sc on won. i think because its easier.
    but all he does is checking his new creations. us betatesters, who are all using steam, suprise, are searching for bugs he may left.
    Do it with passion, or not at all.
    Do not say everything you know. Know everything you say.
    [ MarySP ][ nacl-h2o ][ The next SC Version ♥♥♥♥ing pwns! ][Puchis Maps ]

Manager

I STILL DONT KNOW WHAT HE IS SAYING

[beat head on desk repeatedly]

[Joins JP in beating head on desk repearedly]

Quote Originally Posted by JPolito
    I STILL DONT KNOW WHAT HE IS SAYING
    Me neither. I can understand that english is not your main language but you could read your post before actually submitting it. Please use punctuation, capitol letters (where needed) and remove the most obvious spelling errors like "stream".

Just an advise, not telling you what you have to do. Keep in mind that most of us don't have English as our main language either so writing things as basic as possible works best.

For the sake of attention, here is a translation:

Post #9
    Sven Co-op installs it's files into a SvenCoop folder in your Half-Life folder (where hl.exe is located). One of those files that Sven Co-op installs is fmod.dll, placed in the same directory as your hl.exe file; the other files are plainly installed into the SvenCoop folder. The default preconfigured files that are installed by the Sven Co-op v3.0 installer are configured to operate with Steam and newer engine updates to Goldsource (that were downloaded through Steam), so if you try to play Sven Co-op using the default preconfigurations that were made for Steam, you will likely to have problems. If you copied the contents of the /half-life/ folder in Steam to the installation of your WON version of Half-life, it will not work because most of those files were strictly recoded to work with Steam, and no longer have any WON support in them (trying to run "Steam" in a "WON environment" will not work because they are not the same code any more).

To do this, reinstall Half-life using your Half-life CD. Find the Half-Life v1.1.1.0 patch and install that also. Then install Sven Co-op to your Half-Life (WON) properly; the default installation path might be: C:\Sierra\Half-Life\SvenCoop\. A more manual way to do it would be to do exactly the above, but without running the Sven Co-op installer. Instead, copy and paste your SvenCoop folder from your Steam installation of Sven Co-op to your Half-Life (WON) installation (which is C:\Sierra\Half-Life\). Make sure you also copy the fmod.dll from your Steam Half-Life folder to your WON Half-Life folder too (should be C:\Sierra\Half-Life\).

The best method would be to uninstall WON Half-life completely (and start from scratch with WON Half-life).
    What he is saying in Post #16 is that basically some of the core *.DLL libraries of the Steam version of Half-life are completely or almost completely incompatible with the old WON base. Imagine it as if Valve took some of the files responsible for network play, stripped it clean from WON-related code, and recoded (or coded the whole thing from scratch altogether) to operate with the Steam servers and network packets.

d-|-b o.O

Quote Originally Posted by Puchi
    sniper tests sc on won. i think because its easier.
    but all he does is checking his new creations. us betatesters, who are all using steam, suprise, are searching for bugs he may left.
    Of course it's easier. That's why Sniper kicks ass. Steam is too complicated and spams you with adds and stuff from valve so you buy them. Valve is becoming something similar to EA. Please don't.

In other words. Here i come. Looks like I'm the only one using WON. And it doesn't crash or needs daily updates nor nothing like steam, but it doesn't work for inernet play, as steam doesn't work for lan.

This is what you have to do:

Uninstall everything related to half-life(if you have something like custom models or such put them in a folder apart, those things won't matter unless it's some complicated file like a dll.)

Now that you have NO Half-life:

-Install half-life(check that the cd or where you got it from it's not damaged or corrupted)
    -Download the 1.1.1.0 patch(do not use other patches, 1.1.1.1 or 1.1.1.2 are unofficial and destroys your half-life-i still have to reinstall it because of that, but i just cant get to the console or crashes, and didnt bother my Sven coop install, but anyways it's useless, and those two patches are just crap. DO NOT DOWNLOAD THEM.
    -Install 1.1.1.0 patch
    -Run half-life at least once and then quit, so some files are created.
    -Install sven coop 3.0 and everything you want for it.
    -Download something called ppatcher(with double P), search for it on google. This thing works like the HL.exe, that means you have to use it as your main executable for half-life(only use it on multiplayer games)It fixes the sfx_t error that occurs quite repeatedly in WON. read it's read me to get yourself informed.
    -run ppatcher. It will patch the dll to have a higher count of sound effects or something like that active at one time i think. Then it will launch half-life.(you can edit the svencoop icon to have instead of hl.exe, ppatcher.exe.)

-Play svencoop.

Now. Make sure all the computers connected have exactly the same files.

If that doesn't work. I don't know what can it be.
    --Sven co-op Commando team journal--
    Mission: Failed.
    Situation analisys: EXTREMELY hostile.
    -Distress call: Connecting...Calling...Sending...Main base out of range...Re-sending to all bases...awaiting response...
    No response...

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by emma
    steam doesn't work for lan.
    Once again you fail to explain WHY it doesn't work. It's probably just some major screwup of yours which caused it not to work, and now you rant on and on about nonsense and how Steam doesnt work over lan.

my english is very good , i read polito posts and i say to myself : no one can be more blind than one who does not want to see .
    i feel like i am the only one that use svencoop30full.exe 127 MB (133,807,120 bytes) , and do not " let it install " in the half-life folder where there are some files .

Start doing it ;] , try to read my post slowly and do it like step-by-step .

at fileplanet here is the page of hl patch 1.1.1.0
    http://www.fileplanet.com/57317/50000/fileinfo/Half-Life-1.1.1.0-Client-(Full-Client)

you can read :
    Created: 9/19/2001
    Updated: 7/25/2002

in previous post i wrote , and you can see [ if you used svencoop30full.exe and installed it in a empty folder with won or steam choice ] that some files of hl.exe engine are from 2003

03/25/2003 02:58 PM 1,114,822 hw.dll
    03/25/2003 02:58 PM 1,018,693 sw.dll
    04/30/2003 10:27 AM 1,531,904 swds.dll

so they are from 2003 , anyone can imagine they are files that come from steam era , NO ?.

i made a rar file of "install" that can not corrupt hl_won . i did not install hlsp support and not high definition models , at least " beta testers gang " see it as what i try to explain .
    svencoop.rar 114 MB (119,702,997 bytes)
    http://files.filefront.com//;7235290;;/
    Last edited by sixcentgeorge; 14-04-2007 at 04:06 AM.

Manager

my english is very good
    If english isn't your native language then you can't be the one to judge that.

Contributor

What steam works fine for lans as long as everyone is running the same version of everything

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast