Thread: Crystal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Does not believe in Sven II El Gringo's Avatar

Re: Crystal

A small bug G.Ballblue found and forgot to mention: there is a control panel which is a func_button in the room with the raising stairs move when activated, you probably forgot to check the "Don't move" flag. It's the one near the door at the top part of the map on the side of the room.
    Don't mind me.

Manager

The control room door button.

Oh yes indeed I forgot to set the flag for that button. Thanks for mentioning!

And you're also right about the naming thing. I shall keep it the same.

All right, patch 1.1 released. Check the first post for a changelog and downloads.

P.S. I'd be happy if you could update the mirrors you provided. Thanks!
    Last edited by AzShadow; 05-06-2007 at 01:35 PM.

Still need to test this but here's a mirror :
    [Download URL Removed; map is included in Sven Co-op 4.0]
    Last edited by JPolito; 24-12-2008 at 03:54 PM.

Manager

Played it through.

Both the maps looked very nice. Lots of attention to detail and nice use of lighting. One thing I particularly liked was the use of moving objects and entity effects that really helped liven up the map.
    The large rooms were a nice change from the usual sc maps. You managed to create large rooms and still make them look good, which can be a problem sometimes. Great to have lots of space to move around.

Nice use of shortcuts and new ammo/hp supplies spread around the map. I like how you could search for the gausskey to get an extra weapon.

It's easy to see you put a lot of thought into the gameplay and puzzles in this map. Some of the puzzles were a bit on the easy side, but at least they were fun to do.
    In some places you were able to choose which path to go first. That's a good way of adding extra replayablity to the map.
    I like how you could fit in both the crossbow, gauss, rpg and hornetgun. Some SC maps are really limited when it comes to the amount of weaponry available. Bonus points from me for any map that uses the crossbow. There was also a large variety of monsters, particularly ones that you don't usually see in maps.

The second map might not be in everyones taste. It has a lot of jumping puzzles, and sometimes they don't work out very well online. At least you have a barnacle in this map, so laggy players can latch on to the non-laggy ones. I think xen is an awesome place, though, so it's nice to see someone taking the extra effort to create a xen map.
    The "fighting path" in the second map could use something to spice it up. It didn't seem as well thought-out as the jumping part. I also saw a lot of mantas flying around, but they didn't really seem to do anything.
    It also seemed like the tentacle in the boss fight had some trouble hitting people properly.

Well, those are my comments. A lot of praise, but I honestly think a lot of mappers could learn something from these maps

Moved to where it belongs.

Hey thanks a lot for your comments, Nih!

It seems that everyone likes the first map but the second shares some opinions. When I noticed that I had to do a second part and a xen based one, I wanted to do something different. Of course I could have just done some ordinary walkthrough, but I wanted to add something that I felt was missing from many FPS games and that was jumping with some puzzles along. Some people like it and unfortunately some people don't. The grapple gun was one thing I also wanted to experiment with and as you said, players can grapple to each other so that they can move faster in a team.

As for the flying things, their only purpose was to look cool. I could've added some alien slaves maybe landing from them or something, but that wouldn't have affected the game play in any way so I just let them fly there and make the place look more alive. I haven't had problems with the tentacle, though, so I can't comment much on that.

All in all, I really appreciate your and everyone's comments. This has really encouraged to make something better in the future and I hope that will please more people then!

Just remember: "You can't please everyone". There will always be someone that's not going to like something. As long as the majority of people like it it's worth doing! Glad to hear we'll see more from you. These were very well done; good gameplay, architecture, good use of textures, simple puzzles, co-op, all the elements of a BOMS map. Nih made a good choice in moving these to BOMS.

Alright! This map made it to BOMs!

I played these maps and I think they deserved it! The maps looked beautiful overall and I really loved how you made a XEN MAP. Xen was one of my favorite HL levels and not enough mappers build levels around Xen.

The gameplay was excellent. Good use of shortcuts and I never got bored. The fights were very nicely setup and they weren't "too easy". And the puzzles were simple, but sweet, nothing too complicated

Great job AzShadow, hope to see more of your maps in the future!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12