Thread: sc_royals

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Contributor

Re: sc_royals (beta)

Quote Originally Posted by LemonSoda
    Have you tried to type log on and +logsdir logs to console before playing it? After that there should be a log file in your logs folder.
    hello

YES NO LOG clear file

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Llama
    I just monitored the server as i changed to sc_royals2

No error message, popup boxes or log files. The map loads but then after about 2 seconds the server crashes.
    YES idem
    Patience is a virtue greatly needed by those who attempt great things.
    La patience est une vertu fort nécessaire à ceux qui tentent de réaliser de grandes choses.

Server SvenCoop
    I love the mods svencoop
    World time zone & Look clocks

VERSION 3:

- Split both maps in 2, there are 4 maps now. Sc_royals3 includes the sphinx area. The area has a new meaning now, this adds a bit variety to the maps. In the end of the 2nd and the 3rd map you need to touch the gate to continue.

- Fixed the long "Precaching recources..." -loading time, or atleast I'm not having it anymore (I still had it with the new 4th map). To fix it I had to remove 2 Pharaoh's sounds but you won't prolly even notice the difference with the sounds. This might fix crash problems.

- Edited the alien-glasstube-room in the human grunt base. This might fix crash problems too.

- Gonomes eat now!

- Fixed pyramid's structure. Outside looks better.

- Replaced one texture (xen).

- The fight after four pyramidbuttons is a bit more interesting now. No tons of mummies.

- Added detail, detail and detail (mostly in the human grunts' area).

- Fixed small aesthetic bugs.

- Alienattacks at the gate while finding buttons are working correctly now.

- Added 1 secret to the first map.

- The "Believe..." abyss is a cave now. It's darker, though it's not so Indiana Jones -like anymore.

- Changed the place of the key that opens the door to The Golden Tombs.

- Edited the alien controller attack in front of the pyramid a bit.

- Took sc_royals.wad off the zip file. It should be wadincluded in the maps.

- Edited txt. files.

LINK TO DOWNLOAD:

[Download URL Removed; map is included in Sven Co-op 4.0]

Edited all download links in this thread.
    Last edited by JPolito; 24-12-2008 at 03:40 PM.

Hi there,
    we tried version 3 this evening.

At first Map 1 was crashing again, but when I turned maxplayers to 32 we were able to play map 1, 2 and 3 just fine.

We loved every bit of it. Unfortunaly map 4 freezes svencoop instantly.
    We both tried - maxplayers 32 ofc.

I guess theres too much stuff on the map - you already eased the problem for the first 3 maps, by splitting them, but map 4 = instantcrash. No Error.

Other than that: Nice work. But we'd really like to play map 4.

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Headcrab57
    At first Map 1 was crashing again, but when I turned maxplayers 32
    by splitting them, but map 4 = instantcrash. No Error.
    Other than that: Nice work. But we'd really like to play map 4.
    hello
    bug sc_royals1_v3.bsp ===> 5 ~ 10 minutes
    bug sc_royals4_v3.bsp (info_node) max 3000 ? or info_node bug

thanks
    Last edited by spy-warrior; 22-09-2007 at 04:53 AM.
    Patience is a virtue greatly needed by those who attempt great things.
    La patience est une vertu fort nécessaire à ceux qui tentent de réaliser de grandes choses.

Server SvenCoop
    I love the mods svencoop
    World time zone & Look clocks

Thanks a lot for the help and for being patient. I'm getting a bit frustrated by the same problems occuring all the time, but I hope this version fixes them. Special thanks for pcfdo.bat for helping me.

VERSION 4:

- deleted lots of info_nodes.
    - added res files to zip.
    - added sc_royals4.nod and sc_royals4.nrp to the zip file. These files should fix the "Queue is full!" error. They will go automatically to the right place.
    - replaced the freaking alien slave in the glasstube with a head crab. Dunno about this, hope it works.

LINK TO DOWNLOAD:

Edited all links in thread.

//EDIT

Going to get the game_end working properly in the last map and will make some minor changes to other maps. Then its a final version.

Nice work - we didn't try from the beginning, but map 4 works now. Love the alien slave tickling scene.

We were able to play it till the end. Nice ending. Poor, yet lucky Barney :'(.

I'd change some things in the endfight though.
    The both Anubis (thats the name of the dog-god of death, not amor or anukis :P) mummys should be as strong, or only little weaker than the main pharao mummy.

That way it's more challenging, as there are places where you can jump, so the mummys won't get you. (Add damage to the fires!)
    It's better when 3 of them are attacking the ppl then for longer.

And ofc the map needs an endgame trigger.
    One thing I missed through all 4 maps was ambient sounds. (excluding the boss fight end) It's very quiet at some places.
    Mummys are scarier when they instant kill.
    Other than that, I'd say it can go final.

Whats with the lemons btw? :P
    Last edited by Headcrab57; 23-09-2007 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Headcrab57
    Nice work - we didn't try from the beginning, but map 4 works now.
    Great that it's finally working!

The both Anubis (thats the name of the dog-god of death, not amor or anukis :P) mummys should be as strong, or only little weaker than the main pharao mummy.

That way it's more challenging, as there are places where you can jump, so the mummys won't get you. (Add damage to the fires!)
    It's better when 3 of them are attacking the ppl then for longer.

And ofc the map needs an endgame trigger.
    One thing I missed through all 4 maps was ambient sounds. (excluding the boss fight end) It's very quiet at some places.
    Mummys are scarier when they instant kill.
    Other than that, I'd say it can go final.

Whats with the lemons btw? :P
    Yes I know the god is galled Anubis, the dog-mummy model is actually called Anubis too. I made different names because I was thinking the 2 as the pharaoh's bodyguards, not gods. They have been once normal humans like the pharaoh, they have their own names like the pharaoh.

Ok, I will make the bodyguards stronger. I also know the game_end is not working, as I told in the last post. Thanks for the ambience info, I'll try to add more to the final version. Still need to figure out how to increase a monster's hit damage.

There are 2 lemons in the last map. They are connected to a secret.

Ok, here's the new version. I'm going to keep this as a final unless someone finds a huge bug or something else is terribly wrong.

I'm going to leave the non-fixed bugs listed in the first post the way they are. I guess the maps will run fine without fixing those bugs and the gameplay wouldn't really change since the bugs aren't anything huge. They were just little things that annoyed me.

VERSION 5 (FINAL):

- Game end works in the last map now.
    - Made the doors in the first map's gruntbase a bit higher and wider.
    - Pharaoh's bodyguards are stronger.
    - All mummies instant kill (Pharaoh and his bodyguards too).
    - Fixed a visibility bug in map 2.
    - Added some ambience sounds.

LINK TO DOWNLOAD:

//EDIT would be great if someone could edit the thread title

Great!!
    Im really looking forward to play it again.

Best Regards
    Pcfdo.bat

good map homes.

Manager

I really liked these maps. They can be classified as one of the better map series that I have played. I also really like how you were able to pull off the egyptian theme. The only thing that I didn't like was the final boss monsters with the massive amount of health at the end in the enclosed space where they could basically run up to you and slaughter you in one hit. Crazy Barney was also a nice addition to the map. Nih and I came to the conclusion that the bastard betrayed us.

Also hilarious:

SharkMan is a sucker for getting trapped in pools full of icthyosaurs. Nih is just bad at getting out of his own traps.

So, aside from the boss health and the one hit death thing, awesome map series. The texturing was also amazing, and when the map changed to sandstone the entire map looked desaturated due to my eyes adjusting to the color of your maps. Great job.

Awesome that you had fun with the maps!

You came to the right conclusion with Nih, the idea is that Crazy Barney betrays the player.
    Haah, actually that ichytosaur part is the one I hate the most in the maps, since I'm not so good at finishing it myself.

Oh well, I know about the final bosses. I was a littlebit surprised that ppl wanted the pharaohs bodyguards stronger, but I don't think I'll change it back anymore. If there are more ppl playing the map, the end bosses might not feel too strong and difficult then.

Manager

You should have heard SharkMan screaming over the microphone when the sharks started attacking him.

But really, the map is still in my head as I type this, so it must have been really good.

Would have loved to hear that!

Manager

I would definitely say that this is worthy of BOMS. There is only one thing in dire need of fixing.

I have found that the shark puzzle is impossible to complete without cheating. I came up with a way to correct this problem, as well as a few ways to make the puzzle less hard. The following numbers are related to the above image.

1. You could make this brick stick out further or cover something near it, like the wall, with vines so that the players can cling to it, or -
    2. You need to make this vine into a func_illusionary entity, whether #1 is done or not. The players will never be able to get to the other side from the upper areas if it isn't. Adding #1 will just make the puzzle easier, but it is possible to do it without touching the brick or the other side.
    3. Raise this platform slightly so that the pissed off icthyosaurs won't kill people landing on it. They have a tendency to jump out of water and bite people.

Other than that, after playing it for a second time, I have to say this is one of the best maps that I have ever played. You have perfect shortcut transitions. Unlike most mappers who just add teleporters as shortcuts, you actually have a door open or a wall explode. The ambience is perfect, the puzzles aren't annoying, and the story is excellent. The monsters don't even seem like they are too overpowered, and the surrounding cover makes it easy to get out of the line of fire. You could also add an MOTD to explain some things a bit more to the players.

Once again, awesome map.

EDIT: As for those bleeding plants, what entity are they? You could just make them func_illusionaries if they aren't already. Also, I was wondering about the random fades that keep occurring when things happen in the map. Are they supposed to be black, and are they supposed to be so slow at fading out and so fast at fading in?
    Last edited by JPolito; 29-09-2007 at 09:32 PM.

Ok, this seems serious enough. I've decided to make an update. Thanks a lot for your help!

That jump puzzle is one little mystery because I remember doing it alone the way it is now. Though, I remember reading a thread about jumplengths on different servers and it might have been because of the server that I've thought the jump is possible to make.

Anyways, here is what I've done:

UPDATE:

- Made the vine (number 2 in JPolito's pic) a func_illusionary. This means you don't have to jump on the brick on the other side (number 1) at all, but I don't think it actually matters that much.
    - Raised the platform (number 3) a bit so that the ichys aren't so likely to jump and bite you.
    - Added the MOTD files to map 1, 2 and 4.
    - Added 1 more ambience sound to map 2.

LINK TO DOWNLOAD:

I tested the map on a listening server and I was able to do the ichytosaur part easily.

The plants are cycler entities, but I think I'll leave them the way they are.

The fades are supposed to be black and add a bit atmosphere when monsters attack at some parts of the maps (or the cave's ceiling collapses in map 3).
    Last edited by JPolito; 24-12-2008 at 03:41 PM.

Manager

Re: sc_royals

After careful consideration from the reactions of hydeph, SharkMan, and Nih to this map, as well as my own experience with the map, I have made the decision.

(Stolen from Hezus, but with a random twist.)

I also removed 'beta' from the thread name, because the map is in enough of a complete and playable state to not be a beta anymore. Excellent work.
    Last edited by JPolito; 05-10-2007 at 04:34 PM.

Manager

Well deserved.

Mirror:
    Last edited by JPolito; 24-12-2008 at 03:41 PM.

Well deserved indeed! Will host it on my server!

А ну, чики-брики и в дамки! Scotsman's Avatar

Congradulations, gonna try it now.
    Only one way to find out

No way! Awesome!!!

Thanks goanna for the mirror!

Detective Harry Callahan hydeph's Avatar

congrats

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123